Alternative Advice

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Alternative Advice

Post by Joshy »

I know this is a hail Dark Elf environment but i was hoping there might be lovers of the dark elf clan who have branched off into other things too. I am after advice in regards to my Space Marine 40k collection well for a better use of the English language a lack of...

I was going through some old stuff and found my old Space Marine megabattle force box still sealed in it's original box with a £100 sticker on it.

It contains the following...

1 space marine commander
5 command squad space marines
15 tactical squad space marines
5 assault squad space marines
5 space marine scouts with sniper rifles
1 space marine razorback
1 space marine dreadnought
1 space marine predator

I also have another space marine dreadnought and the army book also

My question is what should i add to this next ?

Bankrolling new additions to my collection is not an issue so all suggestions and feedback are welcomed :)

If of course no one here even dares touch the stuff then i understand this is the home land of Dark elven love !
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

First thing you probably want to do is figure out what Chapter you want to run with. Remember you can paint them however the heck you want, but you want to pick a Chapter because most of them have their own specific rulebooks, so that'll make a huge difference in how you equip and play the army.
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

That's an excellent starting point thanks for the tip i shall go and do my homework on the different chapters and choose a favourite ! :)
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Go Blood Angels ;)
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

MiniGrift wrote:Go Blood Angels ;)

How gross!

The Wolves were always the only Imperial Chapter I could tolerate for some reason. Maybe the Salamanders to a lesser extent.
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

I just looked in brief detail the different chapters ... o.O

So many of them i guess it boils down to looks for me and i want mine to look blue and bog standard really which rules out the blood angels i think but i am also no interested in the space wolves so after this passage of thought what options do i have left or is it just not that simple ?
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

Don't let looks determine it for you alone. Looks are part of it, but if you want pink and gold Space Wolves, then by god you can make them pink and gold. It should be the "flavor" of the army that appeals to you. The Imperial Fists and Dark Angels are both generally seen as "defensive" Chapters, the Blood Angels and Space Wolves are both heavy on offense. Ultramarines are the "stock" Chapter without a whole lot of variation from basic non-Chapter Marines, Salamanders are more close-in fighters but they use a lot of short-ranged firepower instead of actual hand to hand units. There are more than that of course, but you get the idea.

Just remember that you can make a versatile list with basically any Chapter, it's not that picking the wrong one will doom you to failure compared to another one. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Admin's note: moved to WH40k.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Lady Kaerlith wrote:
MiniGrift wrote:Go Blood Angels ;)

How gross!

The Wolves were always the only Imperial Chapter I could tolerate for some reason. Maybe the Salamanders to a lesser extent.

Funny you should say that since I routinely take SW as my allies and even have a small army of them as well! BA have the best fluff, in my opinion, and they were my first ever army when I got into the hobby... Oh, ages ago!

Joshy wrote:So many of them i guess it boils down to looks for me and i want mine to look blue and bog standard really which rules out the blood angels i think but i am also no interested in the space wolves so after this passage of thought what options do i have left or is it just not that simple ?

It doesn't really matter which chapter you pick since you can build/paint them however you like. You can take BA as 'blue and bog standard' marines if you really wanted to.

With a few exceptions, every chapter has the 'bog standard' units of Tactical squads, Assault squads and Devastator squads but they do vary slightly from chapter to chapter. If you want plenty of these then Dark Angels would be the better choice since they're dirt cheap (points-wise) in that Codex since it's pretty much brand spanking new.

Anyway, as Lady Kaerlith said, each chapter has their own strengths and weaknesses. So, it really boils down to which armies fluff you like the best and how you like to play the game.
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

Well my WarHammer style is to charge relentlessly in a bid to score first blood, i also enjoy shooting from range and love explosive magic !

Which Chapters would match these characteristics best ?
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Blood Angels :lol:
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

MiniGrift wrote:Funny you should say that since I routinely take SW as my allies and even have a small army of them as well! BA have the best fluff, in my opinion, and they were my first ever army when I got into the hobby... Oh, ages ago!

Yeah, I don't have anything against their fluff. I think my problem with them stems from the fact that they were hands-down the most common enemy I faced when playing 3rd edition 40k, which was coincidentally when they had the most batshit OP codex in the game. I showed up for a casual game once against a kid who was fairly new to the hobby and who announced that he was fielding a Death Company Army, which was essentially all melee units and every single model had Feel No Pain. I fought it with infantry-heavy Battle Sisters. His "tactics" consisted of walking in a straight line toward me each turn while totally ignoring cover and charging into melee. I lost 114 of my 117 models while killing 1 of his. Literally, one casualty the entire game.

After fighting that crap on and off for several years, I'm perhaps a bit jaded about the whole thing.

Joshy wrote:Well my WarHammer style is to charge relentlessly in a bid to score first blood, i also enjoy shooting from range and love explosive magic !

Which Chapters would match these characteristics best ?

I'd probably recommend Space Wolves, Blood Angels, or Black Templars, in that order. All three have great hand to hand combat potential and make use of plenty of transports and jump pack units to get them there, and generally kick ass once they arrive. I personally think the Wolves have a slight edge in ranged killyness over the Angels or Templars, though that's somewhat debatable. I always preferred the Wolves' spellcasters over the other Chapters', as well.
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

Seems i have plenty to mill over here but 3 types keep getting mentioned so i shall do more homework on them and see which one i like best i shall also pop into my local store and ask them too thanks again for all the advice :)
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

One casualty?! One? Casualty?

Well, I can see why you might not be happy about that!

At least BA are considerably less powerful in 6th Edition. Sure the DC are still one of the best assault units in the game and their Stormravens are, arguably, one of, if not the best flyers in the game. Pretty much everything else for BA is a bit 'meh' now - hence why I looked to SW for allies!

Anyway, Joshy, Dark Angels can do all of what you mentioned as well and I would recommend them. My mate plays DA and I've read through the Codex. Suffice to say I am jealous when I compare it to my beloved BA codex.