Spellcasters in RPG

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Spellcasters in RPG

Post by Dalamar »

are they allowed at all? I had a character in mind I'd like to play as, but couldn't find any (even very advanced) skills that would let anyone cast any spells.
So is it for Game Master's discretion or not allowed at all?
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

We haven't introduced spellcasting in this RPG (yet). Spells have the enormous potential of completely doing a system over from behind if not conceived properly from the very start. So we want to do it properly, and that takes a lot of time.

If I may be so egocentric to quote myself on an earlier topic:
Tarbo wrote:Personally, I'm all in favour to include some sort of magic. However, you should keep in mind that the main goal of the RPG is to be simple and straightforward, modelled towards the roleplaying part, and that including magic would require a new subsystem with careful tweaking and balancing. In all likelihood, it will require a complete overhaul of the current system[.]

Right now, we're trying to get the kinks out of things like our current skills, check how we're going to deal with classes and how they are implemented, go over our weapons, armour, and price lists again, and settle on a way for character advancement. Once we have these things settled in and tested, we can consider a move for magic if we believe the system can hold it.

So you can see we have our work cut out for us. Don't hold your breath. ;)

But to answer your actual question: they are up to the GM's discretion in that it's his/her call about what kind of magic go around in the game. The GM works on keeping the game afloat, so the GM gets the final say in this.