Interested in roleplaying

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Interested in roleplaying

Post by Minigrift »

Hi all,

Have been thinking about this for a few days now and I am very keen and interested to start roleplaying here on druchii.net. It has been a few years since I did any text-based roleplaying but I did used to teach a class on another site, and I write as a hobby. So am definitely more than capable of participating!

There is, I think, four groups running at the moment. Would it be possible to join one of these if there is a spare place? Or is there some kind of 'waiting' list?

I have ideas for various characters, so can and am more than willing to fill in any gaps if a certain type of character may be needed for whatever reason. Where would I post my characters, in the Character Creation thread?

Another option I considered was running my own campaign, however, I would much rather just participate at the moment. And then, when I have relevant experience, perhaps start my own roleplay at a future date.

Thanks in advance for your assistance :)
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Theres a character creation thread... Somewhere, just write up your character in there and a rp moderator will (hopefully) pick you out.

IMHO the site could do with a couple more rp groups, but if you prefer just to play then thats great too =)
Opus vos liberaverit
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

If you want to participate in a group you need to use the Character Creation thread to make a character (Warrior, Shade or Khainite) or even the Mage Class rules stickied at the top of this board. Your character then sits in the pool until selected by the mod of a new or existing group. Luckily for you I think someone is interested in opening up Group 31 at the moment so if you get a character into the pool you might be selected. As for vacancies in other groups, mine is full but you can PM the other mods to see if they have spaces. You need to make a character first though.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Alrighty :)

Thank you Kinslayer, I sent you a PM already, pretty much just asking what I was asking here and if you might have a spot in your group (you are the God of RP's, apparently, so you were the man to ask). No worries, though. Got several ideas for characters so just gonna post up two of them and see where that leads me!

Have PM'ed Maveric also, so hopefully he'll get Mod rights and I can get started as soon as possible!

Thanks for the encouragement Smiler!
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I've just replied to that PM, I didn't see it before as I usually get a pop up window telling me I have new mail but never saw it this time.

Yes the Character Pool is the Character Creation thread, the first post there details how to create a character and the replies form the pool of characters.

If you have any more questions fire away, but you'll have to put a character in the pool and wait for the time being.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Okay, thank you :)

Am writing up the background for one of my characters at the moment. Are we allowed more than one character in the pool? This way the Mod can choose what he or she needs most for the group Obviously, it would be impractical to have more than one in an RP. Just I have several ideas for each class, including a mage.

Don't have any other queries at the moment. So I shall wait, impatiently!

Thanks again for your help.
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

hope you dont mind me piggybacking your thread a bit minigrift, but mage class?!? where? when? who? i can has mage???
Opus vos liberaverit
Dragonsbreath
Warrior

Post by Dragonsbreath »

Here you go, smiler666

It's a sticky in roleplay discussion.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I don't see it being a problem if you create a couple of characters, but while other players are waiting you can only play in one group and only have one character in each. So basically if one of your characters gets selected, your other one has to be scrapped.

I organised the playtesting of the mage and magic rules last year and they went up as a sticky a few months ago. The system is there for group mods to see and understand so there should be no problem making a mage and putting it in the pool. I have a mage in my own group now.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

That would be me :D .

The usual rule is that you only get one character in the pool at any one time, this is to prevent overcrowding. At the moment there are not too many people waiting (relatively speaking, of course it sucks for those that are) due to a clear out of dormant people a few months ago. It is really Tarbo's decision as mod of mods in RPG but I don't think it would cause too many problems if just one person created more than one character; I worry about the precedent though.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Drainial wrote:it sucks for those that are

trudat. i presume a mage would count toward my one character allowance? drat :)

also id like to say that you group 22 lot are a great bunch of players, i actually applauded a little when you escape from the sewers :oops: kudos to the lot of you
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Well, got my first character posted up so hopefully I'll get picked soon!!!

I don't want to overstep any bounds or tread on anyone toes, so I will stick with one character for the moment. Was actually going to post 3 in total - a Shadow Disciple named Modrane, and a Guardmaster (warrior with crossbow) named Kayla. So... Just the one, for now :)

I thought that, if a group has too many shades or whatever, they might want a different class for some more story options or variety. Just to keep things interesting, y'know.

Anyway, thank you all for replying and helping me out!

Grifty
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

There does seem to be a small resurgence of interest for the RPGs. I may have to add in a character as well.
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

wow, people are really flocking to the pool, we really are gunna need some more games if it carries on like this. i may even try my hand at modding, but im rather new to this kinda thing and ill need to think a bit first *pulls out very dusty DnD ideas book and puts storyline hat on*...
Opus vos liberaverit
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

You're all here at the same time actively seeking to play. It would certainly make sense if one of you tried your hand at modding, there's enough players to fill one more group ;)
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Awesome, Kinslayer, that would indeed make sense!

What was that, Smiler? You want to volunteer to Mod a group? Awesome, count me in :D

I think that Carathyle Maveric is currently awaiting approval to become a mod, so perhaps we can all join group 31. As for me, I have taught roleplaying in the past (Character Development and Interaction) but being a mod, well, perhaps that is too much responsibility for me at the moment... Just lazy, I guess!

Would much rather post through a campaign with someone else in charge, so that I can get some relevant up to date experience.
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Im considering it, but its been a long time since i roleplayed and ive never modded/dmed before so ill be gandering at a hell of a lot of stuff before i start begging to tarbo :) but if theres a few players left after mr maverick starts up (and i think drainial is expanding group 28, but dont hold me to it) then ill make another group for the dreggs =P
Opus vos liberaverit
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

I would offer to DM, but would not be able to devote the time the other DMs seems to be putting into their groups. I have enough campaigns going on (and the Animosity team is starting a mini-campaign as well) to keep me busy without coordinating one my self.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

The dregs? Thanks very much! :p

If I was to Mod I wouldn't even know where to begin! Not only have I never done it before, but I feel the same way as Silic does, I just wouldn't have that level of commitment. Plus, I'm starting a new job the week after next, so that will take up a lot of my time. Will have time to participate, of course, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this thread or made a character.

Hopefully, all will go smoothly and someone would be willing to take me (us) on or Mod a new group for us 'dregs'!
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

I can speak from experience to those considering becoming mods but don't know where to start that it is great fun being a mod and it isn't too difficult to get started. I'm the newest modder atm (leading group 30, though it looks like group 31 is just starting up as I write this) and I had never so much as touched a roleplay game before I started group 30, so I can say that I started completely from scratch and you don't need loads of RPing experience to be a modder. I decided to become a mod because I wanted to roleplay (and thought up a character) but there were loads of other people in the pool and nobody was recruiting at that point, so the fastest way to get everyone playing was for someone to start a new group, and don't worry too much if you think that means abandoning your own roleplaying ambitions and your character, as I have sneakily managed to include my own character as an NPC in the group (and made him a bit more kick-ass than he would have been to boot :evil: ).

If you are interested in becoming a mod then this is a good place to start . To get started you will need to think up the outline of a story, but do not make it over-specific as the story is constantly in motion in an RP, for instance, for my group I knew that the goal would be hunting down an elf named Varranaithe, and that the general storyline would include these main scenes: Gathering Information in Vikarh-Meeting Sirulleathe-fight on the road to Ghrond-Infiltrating Ghrond-Finding Varranaithe-battling Varranaithe... and the story goes on from there, but to show you how things change in the story I did not decide to turn Varranaithe into a demonhost until I actually wrote the mod post where that event occurred, so whilst it is good to plan the storyline and think ahead, don't do it in minute detail, because if you do then you are just writing a rigid story, not running a fluid roleplay where the actions of the players have major impacts on the events and how the story unfolds. So it is good to have a main goal in mind, along with several situations (or possible situations) which will occur along the way, and then let it develop from there.

To actually start the RP group once Tarbo gives the go-ahead you will need to find players (character creation pool) make a post in the Groups thread with your group's details and then start your group in the roleplaying section with your first mod post.

After that the commitments are mainly spending some time (usually 4-8 hours for me) in between mod posts (which I set at about once per week for example) writing your next mod post and dreaming up what nasty challenge or horrible event you will inflict on your players next. Aside from that you will have to find new recruits occasionally when a player is removed or you want to expand the group and you will also need to deal with any problems or ideas your players may have.

Remember that you can always ask the other moderators for help and advice, and the good thing about having modders who have been running their groups for a while is that they will have had good ideas you can take inspiration from and they have experience of all the ups and downs of modding a group.

I've found that occasionally making mod posts seems like a bit of a chore, but once I actually get writing and get into it, I remember why I started in the first place, it is great fun! And being a modder has plenty of perks, like being able to crucify people, turn them into frogs or have them eaten by rabbits (I've managed the first one so far, still working on the other two)

Having said all that, according to this post Carathyle Maveric is starting a new group and is recruiting, but there will likely still be several unassigned roleplayers after he has finished recruiting.

So good luck everyone with all your modding and roleplaying, if you have any questions, looking through the RP threads of the groups already running or messaging current moderators with your queries are both good ideas, I also recommend to any modders just starting up that it is a good idea to keep a word document with all the details of your RP in, as I found to my cost when D.Net deleted a load of old messages when my inbox was full, and my memory is not the best in the world!

Happy RPing,
Malus.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

As it has been raised here I would just like to say that I will be expanding group 28 but not for a few weeks. I want to let the current mission finish rather than introducing new characters half way through.

As it has become clear that people wouldn't mind knowing what kind of characters are most likely to get them into a group I will also say that currently I have two shades and so am not looking for any more of them. Not that I would presume to tell people what character class to pick. -Drainial
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Well, it looks like Carathyle Maveric has opened up the next group. Since you guys are all here and willing to play I'd expect a PM from him shortly if you're not already signed up! If not and you want in I'd contact him yourselves.

Carathyle if you need any help or tips modding just drop me a mail. Then again Malus covered almost everything up above ;)

And I will just add... It's great to see the Roleplaying community here so active for once, keep up the good work guys!
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Some excellent advice there Malus, thank you for sharing :)

Group 31 is up and running already, didn't think I would be participating quite this quickly. So, happy with that!

Are we allowed to participate in more than one RP? Back when I was a teacher I had several going on all at once! Good times! Just thinking if Drainial needs some extra meat, I could volunteer...
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Just one group at a time I am afraid, although you can mod one and play in another. Obviously it is somewhat unfair for one person to have two characters while there are still people waiting for one.

Gentleman of Moderation
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Aye, figured that might be the case. No harm in asking, though!

I may wish to Mod a group in the future, but for the moment I am happy just to be participating.

Thnks again everyone - you've all been wonderful!