Group 22

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Actually Drainial, you did exactly what I was hoping! Thanks to his curse Fiat can read the daemonic writing, but he doesn't understand it. You on the other hand can not read it, but could probably make some sense of it if you could. So good plan!

Dauricha, please read my modposts more carefully. Phalx was given a foul potion by Yurul which has kicked the alcohol / tiredness from his system.

Raneth, I have just heard back from Mika. The charge on the final piece of art (Fiat) is $20 USD, so $10 each to me and you if you still want to split it.

IC -

With Vryala back on her feet and Phalx refreshed, the pair waited for a few moments more while Karonath had some of her small injuries checked by Yurul before heading back down the hall in the direction of the stairs. The last they had heard, the other team were heading straight for the library to try and make sense of the stolen scrolls. They stopped at the Feasting Chamber beside the Entrance Hall for a moment, snatching a few handfuls of food each from the table the slaves had prepared despite Varins absence. Once they had taken enough for everybody, the three returned to the Entrance Hall and headed up the wide stairs onto the landing of the second floor. Here they turned left and walked down the hallway, past their own chambers, and on towards the library. By the time they reached the door, they could already hear dark chanting coming from within, and slowly opened one of the double doors and glimpsed inside. Once they were sure Elysian was not possessed and posed no threat, they entered the library, placing the food on the table beside the one covered in scrolls.

In the library, Elysian had put forth the idea of trying to cast a spell on Fiat, which would allow himself to look through the Warriors eyes at the scrolls and hopefully make sense of them. After a moment of thought Fiat had agreed to this, but told Elysian not to pry into any of his thoughts or memories if he wanted to keep his head. Saldrimek had quelled the animosity slightly by placing himself between the two, as each took a seat beside the table. Elysian took a few moments preparing the spell, trying to think of the right way to bridge the connection, and then began to chant. As the invisible tendrils of shadow magic began to work their way into Fiats mind, the Warrior began to shake slightly in his seat. Saldrimek stepped around behind the Warriors' chair and held his shoulders firmly in place. After another minute Fiat managed to relax, and his mind let the painful grasp of the Mages' inside. Not willing to let the spell go to waste, Elysian did his best to hold up the connection, still chanting as his hands began scrawling frantically on a piece of spare parchment, despite his eyes being glazed over with darkness. It was Fiats' eyes that were reading the scrolls.

Vryala, Karonath and Phalx reached the library a few minutes into the spell, placing a handful of food on another table and then moving over inquisitively. Saldrimek nodded the all clear, letting them know that Fiat was not in danger and that the Mage knew what he was doing. It took almost half an hour for Elysian to stop writing, during which time other members of the group had to offer him new parchments before he started drawing Druchast runes on the table itself. When at last his quill fell still, the Mage loosened the connection between the two minds and then let it fade all together, slouching back in his chair with a sigh of exertion. Fiat shook his head furiously for a moment, gripping the sides of his helmet with both hands and muttering under his breath,
"Remind me never to let you do that again, Mage. That was most unpleasant"

After a moment, Elysian looked up from his scrolls and nodded,
"My apologies, Fiat, but I could think of no other way. Besides, it looks like it worked, I have translated most of the scrolls!"

This grabbed the interest of the others, namely Vryala who moved over to take a look and Karonath, who moved over to listen to what her friend concluded. Unfortunately, even translated as they were, the spell scrolls made little sense and Vryala once again looked to Elysian for an answer. The Mage read the blank expressions of those looking down on him and tried his best to explain,

"The first scroll details the spell Tvar used to bind the spirits to the skulls in her trophy room. The spell is fuelled by powdered warpstone and bound Shyish energies, forcing the tortured souls to guard the throne against their will. It is a complicated spell, but it is based on a simple principle, a web of dark energy if you like. Given the time and focus, I think I could now stand outside the chamber and unravell it. The second scroll is a spell of summoning, and the third of binding. They seem to be Tvars' own interpretations of necromantic spells used to raise the dead and bring back the souls of the damned. I have no use for such powers, I wouldn't be able to banish the souls, only to break their chains.

It is this last scroll that puzzles me and intrigues me the most, however. It's the one we took from the chamber under the hatch, and I think Tvar was hiding it for a reason. The scroll details a complex spell used to bind a part of something to a consecrated place or object. I think Tvar has cast a spell to guard something, and going by what I can make out it has something to do with her deceased brothers' tombs. Either something is hidden there, or some of Tvars' powers are rooted in that place. That, or the whole thing is a trap meant to lead us there... because whatever it is, Tvar went to no small means to have it guarded by this spell. The only problem is, I can't decipher what it is she put in place to keep us out..."

The Mage had given them all the information he could, now it was just a case of deciding what to do with it. At this moment Vryala stepped forth and placed the Serpents Eye gemstone down on the table.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Coming out of his trance as his pen finally halted its frantic scratching Elysian's shoulders slumped, wielding Ulgu for so long and in such an unusual manner was exhausting. Hearing Fiat's complaints he appreciated that having someone crawl through your brain was probably even less pleasant than doing the crawling. Never the less the job was done, the spell working far more effectively than he had dared hope. There was much of considerable future value though unfortunately nothing likely to help them kill Tvar here tonight.

After explaining just what it was that he had written to the others in laymen’s terms (bearing in mind that he was no more than a journeyman himself, one just past his apprenticeship to boot) Vryala dumped the serpent's eye on the table. Apparently she was tired of being the focus of the vampire's attention but the task of getting close enough to touch that staff was not one Elysian was eager to have, some other would have to bear that burden.

Thankfully whilst he had been out of it someone had brought food, suddenly finding himself ravenous Elysian picked up a chicken leg and began to eat.
"Right, I think I have done all I can here, I think I will go and see doctor feel good so I can be fresh for my evening battering." Picking up another chicken leg and a hefty slice of cold pork the mage left in the direction he was reasonably sure the apothecary was.

Studiously not taking the serpents eye, just look how beat up Vryala got for holding it and she is sheathed from head to toe in magical armour, Elysian will go and get his various complaints seen to before Kinslayer thinks up new ways of adding to them.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

OOC: Sorry for missing the last post, got off work later than usual and was too tired to post.

IC:

Sitting silently at the table, Sal observed the mage and the warrior quietly; his scimitar lay across his lap which he ran his thumb over the edge constantly in a nervous attempt of checking whether his blades edge was still keen. The others entered the room eventually, bringing with them quality food which Sal picked up in his own time. By the time Elysian had finished his work, Sal was half way through a handful of dried apricots which he had snatched up when no one was looking. His mind elsewhere, he suddenly returned as the conversation picked up between the mercenaries. It made little sense to Sal, but instead of insulting the mage all he did was nod his head in between pauses and confirmations, hoping that his lack of understanding wouldn’t be noticed.

Vryala had thrown the serpents eye onto the table, allowing others the opportunity of being the ragdoll within Tvar’s fist. Before the female warrior had even finished, Sal and the others had already a brief idea who would take the artifact. It was more than likely that either the Khainites or Fiat would take the eye, as they would be closest to the devil herself. Sal waited patiently, looking at Karonath and Fiat, wondering who would be taking the responsibility. Finally breaking the silence, Sal spoke up.

If no one else is keen or has any objection, then I’ll take the eye. But if someone else wants it, then by all means... Sal gestured to the yellow stone.

OOC - Please note: I assume in preperation for the Eye being used to destroy the staff it was taken out of the gold ring and is now just a gemstone. [edited this into your post]
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Fiat closed his eyes, he never wanted to look at anything again. It was very unpleasant. Fiat hated not being in control, hated it more then anything. But the ordeal was over, and Elysian relayed all he had learned while Fiat rubbed his eyes.
When he opened them, Vryala had placed the Eye upon the table. Saldrimek seemed to be interested in taking it, but Fiat also had hoped to put his hands on it.
So to recap, the eye only prevents Tvar from paralyzing us? Have we figured out if it can do anything else? I can take a hit from the witch, but not if it paralysis me.
He also regarded Elysian, as the mage got up to leave, he decided to join him.
Those spells, do you think Tvar will have bound something else for us to face tonight? can you use this knowledge to unbind whatever she throws at us?

Fiat will cast his vote in to take the serpents eye if no one wants it. He will also join Elysian in visiting the doctor

So... Elysian... Other then the script, you didn't see anything else did you?

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

OOC: I don't know. Did I boss?
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

After the connection between the Mage and Warrior was broken, the tension seemed to remain. Fiat didn't trust Elysian because he was a new face and a weilder of magic, and the Mage in turn did not trust Fiat because of his apparent rebirth through the chaos portal. Fortunately, their distrust only stemmed as far as discussion, and all blades were sheathed as the two conversed in front of the group as a whole. Fiat asked Elysian about the scrolls, but the Mage confirmed that he had already told them everything he could decipher from the texts,
"It seems likely Tvar bound something to protect whatever it is at the tombs, but the script does not say what, and nor does it say how to unbind it. If we go there, I am sure that we will face it, whatever it may be. And no, I saw nothing else... but I felt the pain of the words just as you did."

This did not bode too well for the group, but when they considered just what they were up against any way to rid the Vampiress of some of her power was worth discussing at least. They only had two and a half hours left until sundown, but with the Blackthorn and Tvar feud having gone on for centuries, it seemed likely Sevro would know the location of the Tvar burial grounds. Without having to go looking for the place, there was a good chance they could make it there and back before dusk. The real question was what to expect when they got there, and what exactly it was Tvar was protecting, if indeed the script was real and not a cleverly placed trap. The last thing they wanted to do was ride to the Tvar crypt only to find Eaun was waiting for them. It was a case of risk it all in the hope of at best weakening their foe, or staying put and dealing with the monster that had almost killed them all single handedly just hours before all over again.

It was then that Fiat enquired about the Serpents' Eye, which still lay on the table where both he and Saldrimek considered taking it. The Warrior couldn't remember the gems exact purpoes but Vryala filled him in,

"According to the old tome Varin found about the artifacts, the Eye gives its bearer alone immunity to the staffs venomous touch. That's why Tvar couldn't paralyze me back at the Estate, and had to knock me out the mundane way instead," she indicated to the back of her head and winced in pain before continuing, "But, the sorcerer who created the gem did so in case he ever needed to destroy his staff, which had been stolen. It said in the ancient text that should the Eye be returned to its place atop the staff, the weapon would turn its effect back on its bearer as it destroyed itself. So... in theory, Tvar would be paralysed and the staff destroyed."

The group continued to rest and eat for a few minutes before heading down to Yurul while they talked it over. Their minor injuries were treated with balms and ointments that would prevent infection.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

She had seen the Vampire move ; K knew that no matter what else went on, as she was she could defeat the whole House of Blackthorn in one night. She hadn't because she thought the boss had a secret weapon, and now she could be sure he didn't. Plus she would not have to contend with him himself. K felt that they really had hope only if Blackthorn were here, and even then slim hope.

Elysian spoke of a possible advantage they could gain, by looking up her brother's tombs. K was all for a bit of recon.

I know how fast I can move at my best. I think she'll murder the lot of us pretty easily unless we can gain some advantage. So I'm all for us going to have a look. Just that somebody here has to find out what the best weapons or defences against Vampires are.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

"No, making a link to your perception centres was hard enough, the brain isn't easy to get into let alone decipher and I wasn't trying to."Elysian answered Fiat

Elysian won't suggest it since he is on his way out of the room but if the group as a whole decides to go out on the town again then he will postpone is trip to the doctors and he won’t leave until a decision has been made one way or another.

Gentleman of Moderation
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Returning to the library, V heard out Elysian, and more surprisingly Fiat, on the nature of the scrolls. As it was, head throbbing, she couldn't connect the dots and remained silent in her wonder until asked about the Serpent's Eye. She described its traits almost mindlessly, trying to mask the exhausted tremble in her voice; Elysian had proferred another recon mission to try and gain more advantages over Tvar, which K readily agreed on. Likewise, V saw enough sense in the Mage's suggestion, but her gut told her she should rest just a bit more.
Sound plan, Mage, though I myself would rather stay behind and wait for Varin...
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - I'm assuming that means K is going and V is staying behind, and the others are undecided. You can always change your mind, at least until one team actually leaves the Estate.

IC -

The group wasted no time in discussing what Elysian had discovered looking at the scrolls, but they did have conflicting views about what to do with the information. Drainial, Fiat and Saldrimek were heading for the Apothecarium to take their turn seeing Yurul, still trying to decide if they would stay at the Estate or go along to try and find the tombs of the Tvar brothers. Vryala still felt rough after the first fight and with the prospect of their deaths only a few short hours away, elected to stay at the Estate with Sevro. Karonath was more determined to head out and try to weaken the Vampiress by any means necessary, suggesting that those who wished to remain behind do some more research about Vampire killing. Phalx was still sat quietly in the library, unsure which path he would take.

For the time being, Vryala went with Karonath as the Khainite sought out Sevro to ask him the whereabouts of the Tvar crypt. The warrior did not intend to go on that adventure, but she wanted to find Sevro for reasons of her own. They headed straight out to the guard house, and when they didn't find the Captain there walked over to the Training Hall, a large out building on the side of the house. There they found Sevro and Yori giving out instructions to the guards and a ramshackle army of servants and slaves. The Captain let Yori take over as the girls beckoned him from the door, heading over to them at a brisk walk and stepping outside into the courtyard for a moment. They did their best to explain to him what Elysian had discovered, and asked if he knew where the Tvar brothers would be buried.

"Of course, it has long been tradition for the merchant families to bury their dead in the Northern Crypts. They lay North of the Nobles' Market, at the edge of the City before the outer wall. The Tvar have a few burial tombs up there, in the Eastern corner if I remember correctly. If you choose to go on this new venture, may Khaine guide you and bring you back to us before the day is done. It would be a shame to lose such able fighters just hours before the attack."

Elysian followed Saldrimek and Fiat back down the stairs into the Entrance Hall and then down the corridor opposite the Feasting Chamber, which led them past a few locked rooms and Yuruls' personal chambers to the hospital wing at the end of the house. They were visiting around half an hour after the others had, and already Yurul was busy preparing himself for combat rather than healing. As they entered, the old Apothecary slid his sword into the scabbard at his waist, and moved over to check on them. None of them had sustained any serious injuries, and the healer simply spent a few moments applying healing balms and ointments to their bites that would prevent infection. It was in these few minutes however that Vash'nir began to stir, having been unconcious for half the day now since the ethereals in Tvars' throne room had constricted his soul. The Shade coughed and blinked open his eyes, before rising wearily to sit on the side of the bed, pulling the mask from his face and nodding at Yurul and the group through bloodshot eyes.

"I'm going to go find that undead whore. And I'm going to rip her damned heart out."
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Everyone had left Phalx, and he was fine with that for a moment. He buried his head in his hands, taking a long shaking breath. The rest of them were happy to dive right back into death defying, but he wasn't. He was sweating heavily, that 'potion' Vurul had given him, had cleared his head but left his body strained.

He moved from his chair, to look out a window over the courtyard. The vampiress would be upon them soon. Death would once again bear its greatmaw at them. How many more times could he get lucky, how many more times, could he get blooded and come back stronger?

Phalx will head off in search of a drink.
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Class: Shade
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Sevro revealed himself to be quite knowledgable on the subject of dead rivals, and it seemed Karonath made to head off that very instant - then a voice called out from the upper floors. The girls rushed upstairs, and to V's great relief, it was to the sight of Vash waking up with a thirst for vengeance. If anything, K won't have to go alone, even if I skip out on this one. Maybe it'd be a good time to check up on the other Shade; save for myself, Tvar's manor left him worst off...

Vryala will find Phalx and offer him some (light!) wine while they rest.

I never figured you for someone who would wait for death to claim him...

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Yurul's ministrations gave Elysian a new strength, it was astonishing what a score of minor hurts could do to dampen your spirits. Now that the healer turned warrior had patched him up his hurts faded into the back of his mind, not that they were gone wholly but he would be able to ignore them for the most part.

Better than having his own minor wounds healed though was Vash'nir waking and apparently with vengeance on his mind. Although Elysian was not sure such vehemence was wise in one who had so recently been bed ridden they needed all the help they could get and Vash'nir did seem able to walk, at the very least he could die standing and right now that was looking like the best any of them could reasonably expect.

Still a new plan was underway, seek out the Tvar burial grounds and see what secrets they might find there. Whether it was the false teeth of her grandfather or her immortal soul inside a cookie jar Elysian judged it worth a look and certainly better than sitting around worrying for the last few hours of his life. Going with Vash'nir in search of Karonath he said
"I am with you. The light fades even now, if we are going let's get gone."

Que the Indiana Jones music, let’s go grave robbing. Obviously grabbing the relevant scroll translations before the off.

Gentleman of Moderation
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

I never figured you for someone who would wait for death to claim him... Phalx turned. His search had taken him far through the house, and he had not expected Vryala to find him. He grinned, his scarred face showing white teeth. He took the bottle, taking a small swig. He swilled it round, tasting it.

A light white, grapes from near the northern border, and a few from that human land, Bretonnia, I think they call it. Not to heavy, a fine drink with fish. He took another sip. When you drink as much as me, you pick up a thing or two about the fine stuff. He looked at Vryala, offering her the bottle.

So my fine comrade in arms,what brings you here? Is it a battle of words, you seek, or plain old swords as usual? He gave a dark chuckle, waiting for a reply.
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Wounds tended too, and even Vash'nir on his feet and ready to fight, the group seemed ready and revived to take down the revived vampire.

We don't have much time, lets make this quick...

Joining Elysian and anyone else going out to cripple Tvar.

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Vryala smiled as Phalx sampled the wine. Its origins were of no concern to her, as long as it lightened the spirits she considered it a good draught. So, she gladly shared this flask. The Shade might be wildly unpredictable at times, but he had a stalwart heart and even V had grown to grudgingly respect as much.

I'm not looking for battle right now, we got plenty of that coming to us all too soon. Let's just give our weary limbs some rest while we still can. I say we've earned as much.

V will continue to sit and drink with Phalx. Maybe get some fish to go with it.

Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Aye your right there. He took the bottle from her again, sampling the fine young wine. This wouldn't make him drunk, but it would calm him and help him sleep. I do not wait for my death to claim me. But how much more luck can we have against death?

He passed the bottle back. All i'm saying is, in the last few days alone, we have faced mutated rat men, and their horrid beasts and magics, along with the undead in all its horrid and terrible forms, and of course let us not forget our vampiric nemesis. He leaned back,sighing deeply, waiting for Vryala to reply.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

How much more luck? V laughed. No idea, Shade, but we've done a decent job of making our own luck so far... if not that, then Khaine must favor us, and we need not fear anything in this life. She took the bottle from her battle brother, downing a large swig. Maybe it's a bit of both. Despite all those terrors you named, we yet live and breathe. I don't know what that means, and I don't care. All that matters to me is that, if I die this day, I be able to drag that accursed Tvar down to hell with me!

Then, after a moment of quiet contemplation: Good things are happening as well. Fiat returning to us from the dead, Vash arising unscathed. Not to mention Sevro's timely intervention back at the manor. I find hope in these events... I wish you could do the same!

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Nice to see some dialogue on the go! Going to have to move on though, I will take Saldrimek with the group heading out, and am assuming Fiat has the eye.

IC -

Phalx sat alone in the library for a few moments after the others had left in search of Sevro and Yurul, pondering over dark thoughts about the groups recent adventures and the evils they had faced. When at last he got up, he moved off down the corridor in search of somewhere he could find another drink. He headed back past the groups' personal chambers and down the stairs into the entrance hall, heading through the feasting chamber and on into the kitchens. From there he found his way through to another staircase, this one leading down into the wine cellar. He approached one of the racks the mercenaries were welcome to sample and took a bottle, heading back up into the feasting hall and sitting himself down in his usual spot despite all the other chairs being empty, with Varin nowhere to be seen. Several minutes later, Vryala came in and closed the usually open door behind her. The warrior took a seat beside Phalx and shared the wine with him, the two mercenaries conversing over what could well be their last drink.

The two mercenaries simply sat and drank together for a while, aware that the rest of their comrades had now left to uncover the secrets of the stolen scroll that mentioned the Tvar burial grounds.

Elsewhere in the house, Karonath returned from the training hall where she had spoken with Sevro and headed for the apothecarium, the last known destination of the rest of the group. She found the guys there; Saldrimek, Fiat and Elysian patched up and ready to go again, and Vash'nir back on his feet although still quite pale. The Shade seemed to be thirsting for vengeance, and Karonath was happy to have him tag along so he could find it. The five mercenaries walked back to the entrance hall, K telling them what Sevro had told her about where they would find the burial grounds. It wasn't too far away, and they could ride there in half an hour if they moved quickly, meaning if they wanted to get back before dusk started to fall they could stay there no more than an hour at most. Karonath told the others that Vryala and Phalx had decided not to come with them on this one, and so without disturbing the pair the rest of the group headed out to the stables and saddled up ready to go.

One of Sevros' men opened the gate for them and bid them a safe return, the mercenaries trotting out through the gate and then forming up in the street beyond before breaking into a gallop. Saldrimek was the fastest and most experienced rider, and so took point with Karonath who did her best to follow Sevros' directions. Fiat followed the Khainites, flanked on either side by Elysian and Vash'nir. The warrior had taken the Serpents' Eye gem from the table in the library after Vryala had chosen not to hold it any longer, and now prepared himself for the task that lay ahead of him. The five mercenaries rode as fast as their steeds could carry them without attracting unecessary attention to themselves, reaching the Nobles Market and then turning up the Northern road. They continued to ride until they neared the edge of the City, where the Estates' started to dwindle and give way to the barracks for the guards manning the Northern stretch of the outer wall. Here they found themselves drawn to a large black wall, which seperated the Northern Crypts from the living parts of the City.

The group headed down the length of the wall until they found the nearest gate, which unsuprisingly was closed and guarded. Upon their approach, two armoured guards stepped out of a small guardhouse and crossed their glaives across the path. The mercenaries trotted right up to the guards and then presented the mark of House Blackthorn, something which they all carried with them somewhere amongst their belongings. The guards looked at the symbol, a red dragon clutching the top of a jagged black spire, and nodded their heads in respect and approval, stepping aside and opening the gate. They moved through into the Crypts, which seemed to be a series of individually fenced off areas, iron bars tipped with vicious spikes keeping tomb raiders and grave robbers at bay. Each section bore the name or heraldry of one of Vikarhs' Noble houses, and there were hundreds of them. Some families seemed only to have a couple of graves or a single stable-sized tomb beyond their iron gates, but others had vast rows of giant tombs and mausoleums.

They had no idea where the dead of house Blackthorn were buried, which was no doubt where the guards at their backs expected them to turn. Sevro had told them the Tvar buried their dead at the Eastern edge of the Crypts however, so without hesitation Karonath turned her steed that way and the rest of the group trotted after her. They breathed a sigh of relief when the guards said nothing and returned to their post, closing the iron gate behind the group. They rode on in eerie silence for another five minutes before the end of the dead street came into sight, another high black wall looming up in front of them, numerous Crypts still lining the path to either side of them. Now the mercenaries turned their attention to the name plates and carved heraldries, looking for the name or symbol of House Tvar, a rearing lion roaring at the sky, just like the impressive statues outside the dark mansion.

After another minute of searching, and after stumbling upon the burial grounds of House Blackthorn itself, the group found what they were looking for. The Tvar burial grounds were surrounded by a high iron fence, topped with barbed spikes pointing in all directions. The fort of a crypt was only accessible through one heavy black gate, which seemed to be locked. Through the gaps in the thick iron bars the group could make out three large tombs, each a stone building with a level roof and a single, sealed doorway. The tombs were meant never to be opened again, and despite all three looking like they were large enough for the team to walk into and move around comfortably within, they no doubt led to larger underground catacombs as well. As well as the three large tombs, there was a couple of smaller gravestones and a tree, its bark as black as ash and its branches void of all leaves. The wind whistled through the hollow branches of the dead tree and washed over them like the eerie cry of a tortured spirit.

The five mercenaries dismounted in front of the gate, their horses neighing and whining in fear, trying to back away and abandon their masters to this grave place.

Fiat, + Serpents Eye
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

As they rode silently through the graves Fiat spoke up to break the silence.
Suddenly this seems like a bad idea. "Hey, lets defeat the necromancer vampire by walking around a graveyard, nothing bad will happen!"
He snorted his displeasure but showed no fear, but that didn't mean he wanted to take his time. Fiat wanted to finish this as quickly as possible and head back to the mansion.

When they approached Tvars apparent crypt, it seemed to be locked. They could peer inside, but getting in would be a challenge.
Do either of you shades still have a lockpick kit?

Fiat will leave the lock to the shades while he looks for any sort of weak spot to break in.

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Bah, I've had enough to drink, Vryala suddenly snapped; our friends have left for the burial site already, and I cannot sit idly in good conscience. She rose with a grunt to retrieve her shield and helmet. She looked over the headpiece; it had taken quite a beating during the fight with Tvar but had been sufficiently hammered back into shape by Varin's blacksmiths. There was no backing down from the battle that lay ahead, and V's restlessness finally overcame her pain, perhaps aided by the fine wine...

Come, Shade! she said with renewed vigour in her voice, Khaine only knows in which manner the Vampiress decides to assail us. Let us meet with Sevro; we might be able to help prepare Blackthorn's guards. An extra blade surely won't hurt, nor an able firing arm. Or, if we are not needed there, we can spend our time fortifying the Estate - between the two of us we should have ample skills for such a task!

Vryala tries to convince Phalx to help her strengthen the Estate as a whole. If he still needs more rest, she will go alone, and leave him the bottle.

Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

You may have had enough, but theirs no point wasting the rest of this. He took the nearly finished bottle, downing the rest with a hearty swig, smacking his lips and giving a satisfied sigh. He picked up Deathspitter again, and headed after Vryala.

Alright less see what we have to work with, a few more sharpened stakes couldn't hurt. He chuckled lightly to himself. The chat and drink had been good for him, he would spit in that vampire bitches face yet, even if it was his life blood that he smeared over her cold dead features.

Phalx will follow Vryala and see what they can do to be ready.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

'So this is the Tvar's final resting place, impressive in its way,' Elysian thought as they gazed at the eerie sight. The gods alone knew what horrors might lie within but they had come this far and there was certainly no way they were giving up now. The first obstacle was a locked gate

"Do either of you shades still have a lock pick kit?" Fiat asked, slightly confused seeing how only one shade was present Elysian never the less answered
"No but don't worry, locks are something of a speciality of mine."

Approaching the gate Elysian reached out into the empyrean and first of all probed for any traps, the incident in the trophy room had given him a healthy respect for Tvar in that respect.

Elysian will see if there are any magical traps that he can detect, if there are he will try to dismantle them, if not then he will try a spell to unlock the gate.

Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Having tasted enough of the wine, Vryala rose from her seat and walked around the table to stretch her legs. She beckoned to Phalx to follow her, going in search of something productive to do rather than sitting around and waiting for the attack. Phalx downed the last of the bottle, but the burning sensation of the foul liquid Yurul had given him still wracked his brain after every swig, ensuring he wasn't getting any drunker. Having had enough of the foul taste, the Shade got up and went with the Warrior in search of Sevro. The Captain was still outside, but rather than standing in the entrance of the training hall he was now drilling some of his guards in the courtyard behind the battlements. Already Sevro was handing out positions on the wall and assigning men to the corner towers, whilst also leaving some of the more able bodied guards in the courtyard and house to bolster the slave defences.

The hook handed Captain turned to them as they approached, his face as hard as stone, yet somewhat troubled.
"You two will be on the main wall, above the gate... along with the rest of your group should they return. I need you where the fighting will be thickest."

Vryala nodded approvingly, "And what sort of attack are we expecting? Is there anything we can do in the meantime?"

After a moment, Sevro shrugged. "To be honest, I don't know what to expect anymore. A horde of zombies shambling up the street? A lance formation of undead knights charging their way through the gate? A wave of ethereal spirits simply walking into the courtyard despite our defences? The Vampire coming alone? Khaine only knows if she is powerful enough to defeat us now, the stone she has aquired from those damned ratmen has increased her powers tenfold. All we can do is sit tight, hope for the best, and plan for the worst."

The Guard Captain sighed, leaning in closer so that only the two mercenaries could hear. "In truth, I would feel a lot more confident in this situation if Varin was here. I dread to think what has happened to him."

Phalx and Vryala stood in the courtyard with Sevro, continuing to discuss the coming conflict whilst they waited for their friends to return.

Meanwhile at the Northern Crypts, the rest of the group formed up on foot outside the gate to the Tvar burial grounds, their horses whining in fear as an eerie breeze swept through the dead street. Karonath and Saldrimek stood back and waited for the gate to be opened, knowing their expertise would lay with dealing with whatever they found inside. Fiat beckoned forth Vash'nir and Elysian, asking if either of them had any means to open the gate before taking a quick look up and down the bars for any weaknesses. Vash'nir had no lock picking tools, indeed only Phalx had a set and he had decided to stay back at the Estate. Elysian however, was a thief who had honed his skills for many years. His power over the Wind of Chamon aided his talents greatly, and the Mage instantly set about probing the gate for any sign of a magical ward. He moved his hands up and down the gate whilst looking at the bars and locks with his second sight, but felt no distinct patterns in the winds that could indicate a trap.

Only once he was sure Tvar had not thought to ward the place, Elysian instead turned his attention on the lock. He pressed his hands to the iron bars around the keyhole and then began to pull at the bars, simultaneously pulling the Wind of Chamon through the metal and warping it out of shape. With a grunt of effort, the Mage pulled the bars away from the lock, the iron hissing and bubbling as it melted away and dripped down onto the stone ground, where it set as a solid, silver puddle. In just a few minutes the lock was not supported by the iron bars of the gate any longer, and the entire mechanism fell off the gate and clattered to the ground. The Mage stepped back and indicated that they could proceed, after which Fiat stepped back up and kicked the gate. What was left of it swung in on its hinges. The group moved through in single file, Fiat taking point followed by the Shade and Mage, the Khainites' following as rearguard.

The mercenaries didn't have any idea exactly what they were looking for, just that Eaun Tvar had hidden something somwhere in the Crypts of her dead brothers and had cast a powerful spell to defend it. Together, the five moved through and began to check the names on the stone tombs. The first read Rangar Tvar, which the group could only assume to be Eauns' father. The slightly smaller tomb behind read Ranor Tvar, and below that Ignar Tvar. The brothers of the damned witch, Eaun. The third tomb, the one set across from the two they had just checked, did not yet bare a name. The mercenaries moved to the stone doorway of the Vampiress' brothers tomb and took a look. The stone slab blocking the door seemed to be completely sealing the way forth, and a line of dimly glowing symbols surrounded the archway. Even the mundane members of the group could tell that the runes were a ward, sealing the tomb as to keep those on the outside from getting in.
Last edited by Kinslayer on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

It struck K that her horse was awfully brave to come to a place like this as she walked through the gate that Elysian had unmade. Even she felt an extra chill in this shadowed place. She stroked his nose as she led him on. There were three tombs. She remembered they were here to look in a tomb that had some kind of magic guarding it. Two had names carved above the doors. One did not. She knew whose mark was supposed to be there, and she felt inclined to learn how to make that mark.

She stepped closer. She might at this point have called to Mr Magic to do his magic listening thing - but this otherwise unmarked tomb had little glowing shadow writing all around the door - and though K could not read it, she felt she could translate it roughly. It said something like Eaun's Stuff - Keep Out Or Shadows Will Crawl Into Your Heart And Make You Die.

K was unfazed. She had a blade for cutting shadows with. Maybe she could even cut shadow-writing with it. If the magic guy couldn't open she would try it.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth