Group 23

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Frost and Feulan set about butchering the skinks in front of them, struggling against the swift and nimble foes but prevailing thanks to years of training. Beside them, the others all prepared to fight as the skinks attacked. Zarloyth simply hefted his axe up high and brought it down into the path of the skink, which had leaped into the air to try and attack him. The result was the skink being split down the middle, gore spilling out as his axe drove the ruined body down into the jungle earth. Khelmir stepped forwards as the skink with a spear came at him, quickly moving inside the reach of the weapon and stabbing at the skinks chest. The little lizardman tried to block the blow but the Druchii was too fast, and he impaled the skink on his sword.

Beside them, Saffron swung his bastard sword into the skink attacking him with all the force he could muster. The skink swang its club at the same time, and even as Saffron cleft it in two the thing smashed its weapon against his thigh. Pain shot up his leg, but he knew he was not seriously wounded. By now, Frost and Feulan had cut down the skinks by them, and the last remaining skink was the one charging straight at Valgar with its spear held out like a lance. Valgar waited until the last second, then leaped to one side and chopped downwards, cutting the spear in half. He tripped the skink and finished it off by burying his sword in its gut.

"By the gods... Those were tough" said Feulan between heavy breaths.
"At least they died, if they fled they could have come back in greater numbers. Damn, two more dead. Is anybody wounded?" said Hauclir Frost.
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

Not me, none of this is my own. Zarloyth replied to Frost, as he wiped the blood from his face. Then he set about cleaning the blade of his axe with one of the fallen Lustrian's loincloths. While he did this, Zarloyth gazed around the scene, he saw that both Mak and Kalhar lay among the fallen. The corsair hissed a curse through his teeth; this venture was slowly turning out to be a serious disaster.

Come, let's loot and get moving. he said.
Name: Zarloyth Class: Warrior
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:3 I:3
Skills: Powerful Kick
Equipped: Mail Skirt, Greataxe, 2 Long Knives, Sea Dragon Cloak
Inventory: Full Plate, Backpack, Cleaning Supplies, Waterskin, 3 Week's Rations, 132 gold Null Shard
Yogurtman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yogurtman »

Khelmir looked at his two fallen comrades and nodded slightly in respect. No matter that they were not the greatest company in life, they still died in service to their employer. If nothing else, loyalty was the one trait that would cause any man to garner respect from this particular elf.

Turning now to Hauclir Frost, Khelmir said At this point I would advocate for a swift retreat. The option that allows for the survival of most if not all of us is a regrouping in the homeland, the recruiting of greater numbers, and a return venture with warriors who are more familiar with the terrain of this land. I assume, however, that such an option is unfeasible while maintaining the secrecy of this operation. If you do not wish to call for a tactical retreat, I advise we make haste to the city.

Our numbers were deadly small to begin with. I have no doubt that we shall only meet heavier resistance as we move in.

Though he did it rarely and mocked those who so fervently and frequently did, Khelmir uttered a silent prayer to Khaine.
Khelmir WS-4, S-3, T-2, D-4, I-5
Equipment- Longsword, Light Spear, Handbow, Shield, Light Armour, (Aesthetic) Cloak, Water-proof bag (containing a pestle and mortar, a journal, and writing supplies)
Gold-285
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

As the cleaved through body of the skink hit the dense jungle soil the red mist clouding Saffron's mind faded almost as quick as it had come. The carnage surrounding him filled his mind with the ecstasy of victory. This, again, was quickly replaced with the depressing knowledge that two more had fallen during this encounter with the natives of this jungle.

Saffron sighed and lowered his blade. The blood staining both the blade and his cloak slowly dripped down and for a moment he was worried it would attract predators or at least leave a trail before figuring that any predators would already smell them.

With his leg stinging from the clubbing Saffron waited for Zayloyth and Khelmir to finish. As they spoke his blank eyes drifted off to the fallen lizards and looked for anything valuable. He saw a few sparkles which drew his attention before Khelmir finished.

He spoke up in a slightly snarling voice. Personally, I think we should just loot these big reptiles and press on into the jungle. We can't stop now. We're too close to reaching our current goal for that. Mind that it'll take days to return to the ship and the chance is just as likely that we'll encounter more natives if we would return then if we press onward.

Saffron didn't wait for a reply and crouched down over the big reptilian corpse to investigate the shiny sparkle he spotted earlier.

Saffron looks for anything valuable on the Kroxigor first and then checks out the skinks.
Soulsmith
Dark Rider

Post by Soulsmith »

Valgar kicked the body in joy, wiggling his blade around as it tore from the creatures rib cage, dragging some bone with it. Blood dripped out of the creatures back, no doubt soaking the leafy mulch below the corpse. He watched as the blood dripped from the blade's tip, before wiping it on a scrap of cloth, probably torn form one of the druchii (lizardmen not wearing clothes).

"Well lets get on with it. A trip back to the boats is just as far, and the casualties will have been fore nothing. We should hurry on." he grunted to his companions, before turning towards the dishevelled corpses of his old companions. 'Hmm, nice stuff here.' he thought to himself, approaching the bodies.

Valgar will loot the dead druchii for whatever gear he can scrounge, and then move onto the skinks.
Forging souls anew....

Name : Ildren Vrak'nair
Height and Weight : 5'11, 85kg
Character Age : 164
Class: Warrior
(WS): 4
(S): 4
(T): 3
(D): 3
(I): 4
EQUIPMENT
Warrior: Long Sword, Shield, Light Armour.
SKILLS
None
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Seeing that the group were unharmed and eager to move on, Frost simply said,
"As has been said, it will take just as long to get to the City as it will to return to the ship. We may as well make an attempt at claiming what we came here for. Come on, the City is close now."
With that, the group were on the move again, cutting their way through the jungle in an attempt at moving as fast as possible.

The rest of the day passed without incident, apart from avoiding a rather nasty looking patch of yellow flowers. By the time what little light breached the canopy was failing, Frost reckoned the city was very close. They pressed on, looking for either the city or a clearing where they could sleep, whichever they came across first. They continued to hack a path until the last of the days light was gone, and then suddenly emerged into a huge clearing with no trees. There were a number of stone buildings, shaped like small pyramids and ziggaruts. The center of the clearing was dominated by a large building with a stairway leading up to its summit, where a dark portal led inside. There were a number of skinks moving around on the stairway, oblivious to the new intrudors.

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Well, I had been hoping for at least one reply with some thoughts or ambitions before I continued the scene, but apparently that is not to be.

IC -

The group came into the clearing, tired from the work of cutting their path here, but alert in the shadow of so many Lustrian enemies. They kept hidden in the darkness provided by the nearest pyramid building, and crept forwards quietly under instruction by Frost. The six Druchii would probably only be seen as a minor disturbance by the Lizardmen if they were spotted, since there were no doubt enough enemies here to muster a small army. It dawned on them all at once, therefore, that they would have to remain unseen at all costs. They also assumed their objective, the artefact Frost was after, lay in the central pyramid. The two thoughts did not fit together very well, especially when looking at the open killing ground between here and there.

"Lord Frost," began Feulan quietly, "What is the next stage in the plan? Are we simply to run across to the pyramid and hope we remain unseen? This is madness, we would never survive such a venture."
Frost sighed, "I know, I can see that. I can work out the forms of maybe another dozen of those skinks, but what other threats wait nearby I can not tell in this failing light. We should wait for morning, perhaps, to better judge the enemy, not to mention be fully rested. Unless any of you have a better suggestion?"

Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

OOC: Double post and not as long as I expected due to unexpected twists in my personal life.. again.. <_<

IC: Saffron's sea drake leather boots pounded along into the soggy jungle soil. He hated this environment more and more every day that passed. He longed to be back with his tribe on the cold and hostile plains of Naggaroth.

When they reached the city Saffron couldn't help to let out a soft muffled snarl as he saw the skinks. He licked his lips wickedly as his thoughts ran free on what he could do with the lizards. Red mist rose in his mind and he could only barely restrain his blood lust. Regaining himself he simply followed Lord Frost as they prowled deeper into the city.

He heard Feulan and Frost he sighed softly trying to hide his disappointment. Knowing that even if his khainite eyes could see what lay behind the shadows he couldn't be convinced of it since khaine might as well be putting it up as a test for him.

He nodded briefly and waited for the others to speak up yet he couldn't help but to try to distinguish something in the shadows.
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

Zarloyth heard what Frost and Fuelan were saying as he scanned the shadowy city. He tried to distinguish possible threats aside from the lizardmen he could see, but had to give up as his tired eyes failed him. I agree, it's probably better to get some sleep. However, keep a wary eye on the city during the night. If these lizard people take a rest we might be able to sneak in with little trouble. he whispered. The corsair had his full plate still with him, and with a little luck the night would be cool enough to allow him to wear the armour. An attack during the night would definitely be best.
Inventory: Full Plate, Backpack, Cleaning Supplies, Waterskin, 3 Week's Rations, 132 gold Null Shard
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Soulsmith and Yogurtman have a week more to reply, or after this time they will be removed from the group for inactivity. Sorry to NoOoDLe and Suneater for the delay they have caused.

Also, as NoOoDLe mentioned 404 errors removing his text when he tried to submit a reply and thus having to retype it multiple times, get into the habit I use. Ctrl+C before you hit submit can save you ages of retyping a reply, and if it fails simply paste the reply back into the submit box and try again with Ctrl+V.

IC -

The others in the group seemed reluctant to speak, or had little to share on the matter, so Frost had to make his decision. He looked to Feulan for guidance, who simply gave a little nod, suggesting he would trust his Lord to do the right thing. Frost looked into the eyes of all four mercenaries and then spoke his plan,

It is true, we need sleep, and it is also true, we should move under cover of darkness. I say we move back into the jungle a little and rest for the night. Tomorrow we return and scout the area, the light of day should help us spot any traps and the number of enemies around. Then we rest once more and move off, fully recovered, when the sun goes down. Agreed?"

Feulan was the first to agree.

Soulsmith
Dark Rider

Post by Soulsmith »

'That plan works fine for me. If they are anything like the lizards of home, then they will be sluggish without sunlight. However, I don't doubt their night vision is better than ours.' Valgar sighed, crouching warily down onto a rock, casting his eye over it for signs of more architecture or marks made by the lizard-men. He pulled his sleeve up, nodding as the small copy of the carving he had daubed on his arm in mud was still there and not washed away by his sweat.

OOC sorry for delay, life is getting very busy.
Forging souls anew....

Name : Ildren Vrak'nair
Height and Weight : 5'11, 85kg
Character Age : 164
Class: Warrior
(WS): 4
(S): 4
(T): 3
(D): 3
(I): 4
EQUIPMENT
Warrior: Long Sword, Shield, Light Armour.
SKILLS
None
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

Saffron nodded briefly. "Sounds fine with me as well." He said, simple and short. Slightly uneasy due to the fact that his mind was still partly raging he stepped around waiting for the others to say their say.
Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

Good, if I´d have to fight now I´d probably end up with a few bruises, said Zarloyth, nodding solemnly. Let´s leave this place then, every second we stay here increases the chance we are discovered.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - I am unable to post again until next weekend now, so bare with me and sorry for the delay!

I hope you are all keeping up with your rations, taking them out for every 2 days.

IC -

With the majority of the group agreeing, Lord Frost led them back into the jungle for several minutes. They came across a suitable patch of ground to rest on, for it was clear of dangerous plants but well concealed from prying eyes. They all lay down after selecting watches again, and rest soon came to them all in turn. By the morning, Frost gave the order to scout the area from the cover of the jungle. Sneaking towards the City once more, and all too aware of the dangers that they may come across, the ground crawled back to the edge. There, they took on the City under the light of day. It was a marvelous sight, for the daylight reflected off the golden pyramid temples and made the entire City seem like a mighty ethereal being of light. Skinks scuttled around their business, and two more Kroxigor could be seen lifting blocks into some sort of structure. There were also another type of Lizardman around, half way in size between the Skinks and Kroxigor. They carried shields and gold spiked clubs, and clearly they were the warrior breed.

The Saurus, as they were known. Each was bigger and bulkier than any elf, with superior strength and toughness. They were intelligent too, not the dumb brutes that the Kroxigor represented. All eyes focused on the Temple they would have to enter to get the artifact though, and it's big golden stairway. Skinks continued to move in and out of the black portal at the top of the stairway, and statues of Saurus wearing animal skulls over their faces stood watch to either side of the doorway. It seemed at night the Saurus would move off to guard the city, the Kroxigor would rest from their days labour, and the Skinks would continue to go about their curious business. If they attacked the following night, running up the stairs and killing any skinks should be the best option.

Frost led them away from the edge of the treeline again, back to their camp. They continued to rest, eat and take watches. When darkness came, they would move into the City. They would find the artifact and take it for themselves. Only then would they leave this dreadful place.

Suneater
Dark Rider

Post by Suneater »

OOC - As you may have noted as of late, my posts continue to have rather long periods of time between them. Unfortunately, due to the fact I'm very busy with a lot of personal projects as well as my job, I no longer have the time to keep up a regular rate of posts. I regret this, but I will no longer be able to post here.

Nevertheless, I want to thank you all for a great game, I've really enjoyed every last bit of it ;).

OOC - Ah 'tis a shame... Feel free to move Zarloyth back to the creation pool, I shall take him over for now until I kill him off :lol:

Thankyou for your time in the group!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Right then, sorry for the delay. Here we go:

IC -

Darkness finally settled on Lustria after what seemed like an age of waiting, and the group prepared to leave their makeshift camp. They gathered what little they had with them and took rations as desired, and prepeared to move off at Lord Frosts command. There was a long silence as their Lord waited to make sure the jungle had fallen completely silent around them, and then he held up his hand and ordered them to advance with a quick chop of his palm. The group moved as one, slowly and silently approaching the City once more. By the time they reached it's edge, darkness had completely taken over the day, and even their keen elven eyes had trouble making out everything around them.

Once more, small skinks could be seen moving up and down the stairway to the Temple, some carrying items on little missions of their own whilst others carried weapons and kept a vigil. There were no Saurus or Kroxigor to be seen around, though the group knew they must be there somewhere. Some skinks were patrolling in a small group, and passed by the front of the Temple every five minutes or so, numbering perhaps twenty and led by what appeared to be their cheiftain. There was an eerie stillness to the whole City with the exception of the skinks, and Frost turned to the group and whispered.

"Well, this is it. If we cross to the Temple we can't turn back, not if we get seen. We will have to work quickly to kill anything that tries to stop us, and once we are inside who knows what we may find. We should be back out before daybreak, if all goes to plan. Any suggestions about this little patrol party though?"

Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

OOC: Thanks for reminding me I forgot all about this.. Busy busy busy... Sorry >_<

IC: When they reached the camp site Saffron sat down in the vegetation. He was a bit edgy at first since he had no idea what would be crawling around here and if it could kill me but he really enjoyed giving his legs some rest. Waiting for the dusk to settle into complete darkness Saffron looked around a bit and observed the environment while chewing on some dried meat he grabbed from his week supply of food.

As the darkness finally settled Saffron stuffed everything back in his bags and stood up. He instinctively reached for his blade to have it at hand when the time to use it would come, his other arm readying his shield.

Slowly but surely he crept along with his fellow Druchii advancing silently towards the city. He too saw the big lizards had taken off and only Skinks remained pacing up and down the steps.

Saffron listened to Frost explaining the plan and briefly nodded. "Let's do this." He added before waiting for everyone else to follow.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Zarloyth has left the group willingly, and both Yogurtman & Soulsmith have now been removed for constant inactivity. NoOoDLe, you have the choice of staying or going, depending on whether you feel you can keep up still. I will be recruiting new members straight away.

IC -

The group were startled by the sudden appearance of a Lizardman amongst their ranks, having clearly snuck up on them from behind as they planned their raid of the temple. Frost and Feulan were knocked aside by the first swing of the warriors mighty weapon, a large club made of obsidian and covered in gold studs. The Sarus warrior was larger than an elf in width, and matched them in height. Its' muscled body rippled as it raised the club and brought it down over the head of Zarloyth, who died before he could move away from the blow. Saffron leaped aside as the beast swung for him, and the blow instead caught Khelmir around the middle. The warrior was launched high into the air by the weapon and slammed into a tree, his body a ruin of red gore. He slumped to the floor, dying as he watched his companions getting slaughtered by the beast. Valgar was next, the Saurus grabbed his shoulder with its large clawed hand and slamming the shaft of the club into his face repeatedly. Only once he was defianately dead did the Saurus stop its' relentless attack.

Saffron backed away as the Saurus rounded on him, but then suddenly two foot of steel protruded from its chest as Frost ran it through from behind. Feulan came to his side and stuck his blade in the side of its' neck as well. Saffron leaped forwards and finished off the decapitation, sending the Saurus' head spinning across the jungle floor. The fight was over in seconds, but it left three of the Druchii standing and three lying dead. Saffron looked around, he could hardly beleive it. Dead, all of them but him, Frost and Feulan. Fortunately the Lizards in the city seemed not to have noticed the commotion. Frost called them back from the edge of the City to rethink their raid plan.
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

OOC: If Saffron could be written out without being killed I'd prefer that to be honest since I really don't have too much time on my hands lately.. :3

If he'd be killed in the process of writing him out I'd rather have him tag along cause I like him as a character.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - I'll write you out then... This group started to dwindle lately and I can't see it picking up again. I think we can call this mission an epic fail. You, Frost and Feulan depart Lustria and return to Vikarh, where you leave his service due to pressing matters elsewhere. Frost and Feulan can go on to hire more mercenaries in the future, but for now I am calling this group a day. College is heating up in my own real life and I want to focus on Groups 22, 19 and the Shadow Arena games. It's been a good ride, and if I ever get around to making a new group again I will just revive this one (as I have grown to like Frost as an NPC!).

Group closed.

;)