SAU XVI: Silent Waters Run Deep

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

SAU XVI: Silent Waters Run Deep

Post by Sleekdd »

It is busy in the tavern, a fire crackles at one end of the room and numerous candles have taken over the daytime shift of the sun. A constant level of rumour dampens the words spoken by each individual much like fresh snow dampens footfalls.

In the tavern, two particular elves sit across a small table. One cloaked and obviously at ease. His open, jovial face seems to have an ever-present two-millimetre-smile. He is leaning back against the chair, his legs crossed while he eyes the elf in front of him. His drinking mate is not so at ease and looks suspiciously at the other one. He is wearing a white tunic and the markings of a sailor of rank.

“So, it's a deal then?” the cloaked patron asks. “I bring you the prey, you sink it, we both win.”

The elf in front of him leans back, putting a finger to his lips and frowning to express deep thought. “I still don't know why I shouldn't hand you over to the authorities. Your kind is not welcome here.”

“Sure, you could,” the cloaked elf smiles. “By all means, go ahead and shout it out. But then you'd miss out on a shot at sinking the most feared vessel roaming the waters and raiding your shores. You'd miss out on all the praise, the prestige, the career opportunities, not to mention the girls.”

“I am happily married, thank-you-very-much,” the sailor corrects him quickly.

“Come now, friend,” the Druchii grins. “We both know you call her 'the troll' and it isn't because of her regenerative qualities.”

“I don't suppose you want to explain to me why you don't take matters into your own hands?” the sailor asks. “You get on board and … you know.”
“Fix things?” the Druchii smiles amused.
“Right.”

“I'll humour you, captain,” the Druchii says, putting his hand behind his head. “As you know, your target is a respectable trader.”
“You mean raider, pillager and slaver,” the captain corrects him.
“Semantics,” the Druchii waves off. “Anyhow, they supply our markets with the finest merchandise others have worked hard for to accrue. So far, so good, if it weren't that they were also supplying a particular lady who is often at odds with another particular lady. And the former just loves stabbing the latter's eyes out by presented the latest and finest acquisitions, including but not limited to jewellery, exotic slaves and anti-wrinkle cream.”
The captain raises an eyebrow.
“Trust me, that last one did not go down well,” the Druchii chuckles. “At any rate, she tried to take more direct action and sent in people to 'fix things' and send a signal.”
The captain swallows once.
“The signal made it through all right,” the cloaked elf nods. “You see, we have this holiday were pretty young things go trick-or-treating, but it isn't as much fun when you have a dozen guards on every crossroad in the town to enforce a last minute curfew. Other than that, smaller incidents suddenly occurred such as the incense being replaced by some other kind of … grass as some people call it; by supplies being sent off elsewhere – say the local cliff for instance or by some important person's pet being run over … repeatedly.”

“I see,” the captain ponders.
“Suffice to say that it would be more convenient to get our point across without anyone actually pointing at my employer,” the Druchii grins.

The sailor sighs. “Very well, you can count on me.”

“Excellent,” the Druchii smiles. He leans further back, balancing precariously on the two hind legs while raising a hand to beckon a serving lady. “The next drink is on me.”

°°°

Kender eyes the flag with a mixture of anxiety and pride. He suppresses a smile to himself. He made it. He passed the trials to become part of one of the most legendary raiding crews ever to stalk the waves: the Sea Drakes, the raiding branch of the House Tachyan.

He walks down the pier with his duffel-bag slung over his shoulder. The Black Ark, the Skysong, is being prepared to cast off on another tour. He doesn't know where they're headed but if he lived up to the expectations, he would be entitled to a share of the loot and very few members of the Skysong ever went wanting.

Thought not nearly as big as the original Black Arks, the Skysong was certainly capable of housing several hundred soldiers and enough mounts and supplies to foray into unknown lands. The walls were adorned with closed hatches, holding batteries of bolt throwers and the towers held the devices for the corsairs – the equivalent of marines – to board other vessels should they choose to engage the Skysong.
The vessel had eight towers at the walls, the two 'front' towers flanked the gate which could be opened when the Ark was beached and through which troops and supplies could quickly be loaded or unloaded. The other six were evenly spaced around the perimeter wall.

The pier is bustling with activity. Dozens of soldiers board the ship, boxes and barrels with supplies are craned into the holds and officers are dishing out orders, making sure everything runs like an oiled machine.
Kender has to dodge the odd Elf and cart before making it to the boarding plank where a stern-looking officer is crossing off names. He walks up to the Elf to announce himself.

“Kender Bisan reporting,sir,” the Elf salutes. The officer looked at the eager, young sailor.
“Finally,” the man says. “See those crates? They need to be carried to that crane and then lifted on board.”
Kender looks at the stack of crates where a few sailors are already carrying boxes away.
“You can leave your bag here, son,” the officer says.
“Eh, right … right, I'll get on it,” Kender says. He drops his bag and hurries over to the crates. Time to look busy.

Kender passes four sailors heaving a big crate to the crane when he notices something is off. “Hey guys, this crate isn't secured.”
The sailors put the crate down and look at it.
The officer taking names notices the work stopping and he paces over to the group. “What's the hold-up?”

“Look, sir, there are only nails in one side,” Kender shows. “This could get cracked open in no time.”

“Well, what do you know, the kid is actually right,” the officer chuckles once. “Nail it shut.”

°°°

Wormwood grins proudly. That he was selected to infiltrate the Skysong and sabotage the endeavour was a great honour. Seeing as he would be stuck on a ship, there would be little room for error. A ship, even a big one, is a closed space and there would be far too many souls on board for even his skill to dispatch them all. Besides, murder wasn't in his job description; his trainer had stressed this greatly: others would fill out that role. He was to limit himself to sabotaging the equipment.

So, he had devised a cunning plan. He would hide inside one of the containers slated to be brought on board and use that as his 'staging area'. No pesky trials to complete, no long, arduous training to follow so he could pass as a sailor, just kicking back and waiting for the time to strike to arrive.

The next morning, at dawn, the pier jumped to life. Elves, dragged out of their beds, began to load the ship.

Suckers, Wormwood thought. One more advantage of his cunning plan: no need to get up early and haul crates. Nope, his delicate hands could rest for the real work.
He checks his hideout one last time. Supplies to last a week, two if he rationed carefully – not that he'd need more than that, after all, he could always steal the occasional snack. Knives, chisel, small hammer and small saw. All the tools required to fix or un-fix anything he would lay his eyes on.

A rough movement pulls Wormwood out of his self-indulgent revelry. He grins when he realizes he's being carried on board. This is almost too easy.

The crate is put down, probably for the crane to do the heavy lifting. Some voices speak up overhead, probably organising the lift.

Bang-bang-bang-bang.

Wormwood startles and looks at the lid of the crate. What was that?

Bang-bang-bang-bang.

What are they doing?

Bang-bang-bang-bang.

His ears ring with the loud slamming on his hideout.

“All right, get it up,” a voice calls out. The crate is shaken again and lifted into the air. Wormwood tentatively pushes up against the lid. It doesn't budge in the slightest.

Damn.

°°°

You are all gathered in the dining cabin of the ship, sharing a meal and the occasional story with your fellow officers. The dish for this evening is some strange kind of slithery concoction called pasta with meatballs and tomato sauce. It takes some work to get the stuff rolled up on your spoon before you can actually eat it, but it doesn't taste half bad.

The mood is light-hearted for you are all heading home after a particularly successful tour, scouring the coasts of the Empire and Bretonnia and even stumbling upon a Dwarven gold train headed for the Empire. You can only imagine the diplomatic fallout on that little incident.

When the door opens, captain Tachyan steps in, looking grim and grumpy for some reason. That reason becomes all too clear when you see a thin, hungry looking elf being dragged in behind him in chains; an elf you haven't seen before and you know everyone on board this ship. That one must be a stowaway.

The captured elf looks about the room furtively, finds a plate filled with steaming pasta and meatballs at the head of the table and launches himself directly at it with a desperate cry. Under the amazed stares, he dives face first in the plate, splatters of sauce and balls scattering to accentuate the graceless dive.

“Right,” the captain says when recomposing himself. “Allow me to introduce you to Wormwood.”

You look at the munching elf, his face well hidden underneath the pasta.

“Wormwood stowed himself away on board my ship in order to ruin our enterprise but as fate would have it, he was … prevented from achieving this task,” Tachyan says. “His mission directive revealed also that he was not to lay a hand on the crew for that was the role for some of you.”

You swallow once and look about your friends, or those you believe to be your friends.

“Some of you have been bribed into murdering your fellow officers on the way back in one fell swoop,” Tachyan says. “To what end and when precisely I don't know, but I do know that I will not stand for treason on board this ship. Now, Wormwood here doesn't know who was bribed, and seeing his obvious … skill I can't say I blame his master for keeping that information safely from him, but we do know the traitors are in this very room.”

A deathly silence sets in as everyone eyes everyone. Only the gluttonous gulping of Wormwood disturbs the otherwise dramatic moment.

“Seeing as you know each other best, I am tasking you with rooting out this infestation,” Tachyan continues. “Unfortunately, I need my officers to ensure the smooth running of this ship. As such, I still need you to fulfil your duties as well.”

Tachyan nods at the guards and two of them grab Wormwood by the shoulder to drag him off. He lets out a muffled cry, latches his fingers around the plate and keeps on scrounging while he is dragged off. More guards file into the room to make sure nobody else is going to make a dash for freedom. Not that there is much freedom to be had from escaping the room; the vessel is at open seas, heading home.

“After your shifts, you will report back here and decide on who to remove from the ship's crew,” the captain finishes. “To ensure that everything goes smoothly, you will do this by majority vote. My daughter, Mala, will precede this session and note the votes down.”
He takes a few steps to the door and looks at each and everyone of you shortly. “I wish those men and women who remained loyal to the House the best of luck.”

And with that, he takes his leave. A mere minute later, a small, young girl furtively peeks into the room filled with seasoned veterans and elite crewmembers. She almost sneaks towards her seat at the head of the table, taking along a big, leather-bound book.

“Hi,” she says shyly. “I'm … Mala. I'll just … make sure the votes are … well … you know … not forgotten or anything.” She giggles shyly.

No one is laughing. A guard coughs once.
She clears her throat quietly and seems to shrink a little.

Despite the meagre appearance of the girl, most have learned not to mistake her demeanour for her skill at sorcery.
Despite her skill, constraint is not exactly one of her strong suits. On more than one occasion, getting rid of the sprites infesting the party's equipment seemed to be more trouble than it was worth; the result of spuriously overcharged spells. Still, none could deny the sheer destructive power she wielded, whether it be used to blow holes in reinforced gates, turn an impending cavalry charge into a run for the hills or – as illustrated on the last sortie, singe off the good tutor's eyebrows.

“Right,” she says while seemingly hiding behind her big book. “I'll get on to … ah … working. You can all … you know … find the bad guys.”

And with that, she opens the big book, keeping it at an angle to hide the better part of whatever isn't hidden by the massive table. She peeks over the books carefully once, hoping to find nobody looking back at her and then pretends to study hard.

And on that note, the first session of the search for the traitors has begun. How it will end is up to you and your comrades, be they for the better or worse.

°°°

The following players are in the game:

1. Tarbo
  2. Telrunya
  3. Drainial
  4. Malberoth Grieftide
  5. zzug
  6. Linkinhearts666
  7. Kefka
  8. Deroth
  9. Draknir
  10. sassmaw
  11. Cathel
  12. Mr_PieChee
  13. Belial
  14. LordAnubis

It is now Day. Players can post and vote. Remember that a majority during the day will not lead to an immediate removal.

The Day will end (and Dusk will begin) on Saturday 19h00.

Good luck to all and have fun!
Last edited by Sleekdd on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Malberoth grieftide
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malberoth grieftide »

Malberoth Grieftide sat hunched forward in his dark pine chair. He absently played with his spaghetti as he kept one mishappen and ragged ear cocked, listening to the incessant babbling of the young sorceress. He couldnt say he was suprised at the turn of events, this sort of intrigue was tit for tat onboard Druchii vessels- his prestigious career as a corsair captain attested to that. By Khaine but that wretched creature had stank, he thought, his mouth curling into a horrific approximation of a grin. The chelsea smile he bore from the knife of an unsolicitous Tilean whore now curled into a terrible zig zag of scar tissue.

Setting down his cutlery, he leant back in his chair and took an appraising look at his dinner guests. He read the cold pallor of their skin as much more than the traditional paleness of his people and yet he couldnt discern between guilt and discomfort. They all seemed a foppish self indulgent lot and could not believe that any would have the stomach for such intrigue. Taking a long draught of Bretonnian absinthe, his slate grey eyes fell upon each of his shipmates...
I'm riding a dinosaur, your argument is invalid.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Reaver commander Draknir Vithrio swipes his tarnished silver-coloured hair and clears his throat. He is not particularly fond of the meaty blobs and the slimy and slippery... pasta thing and has merely pushed them around his platter with his fork. A shred of chilled macaroni has found its way on Draknir's vambrace, from which the commander flicks it off with disdain. He seemingly casually pushes the platter away and straightens his deep red robes. Glancing around his fellow officers, he resolves to take the risk and speak out loud. He stands up and leans to the table. He is very tall, possibly the tallest person in the room, but his frame is very scrawny for a high-ranking officer. His robes hang loosely over his slim-fitted cuirass. His voice is low and hoarse, yet powerful, with an undertone of constant scorn.

"Ahem, I'll merely say that we all, as Druchii of reason, are obliged to work this thing out as discreetly as possible. In my humble opinion no redundant bloodshed is required, this as a reminder to the most devout Khainites among us. As many of us officers as possible are needed, so it's for the greater good that we swiftly find and eliminate the culprits before they can do any real damage. Be considerate. That's all."

As Draknir sits down his pale blue eyes glance calmly around again, his gaunt face betrays no signs of nervousness. After a while of awkward silence he closes his eyes and emits a deep sigh.

"I wish someone could inform my crew that apparently I won't be returning to my Reaver for a while."
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

People seemed not to appreciate the dish laid out in front of them. They stabbed it with cutlery, poking the lifeless, brainlike mass mercilessly. Tarbo was unlike them. Having been served seafood from the very start of the journey, the idea of having something other than blue fish, green fish, or yellowy, sickly fish had been playing tricks on his mind ever since they set sail for home again. And now he had the actual food in front of him. He had been a tad more decent about it than Wormwood, but only enough to be allowed a seat at the table.

Tarbo was non-descript in pretty much every way imaginable: he had average height, average girth, decent looks, a uniform and, when not exercising his authority, a charming demeanour. Still, he was someone people liked to keep an eye on, because if he wasn't dead in your view, he was probably chatting up your wife.

"Right, ah," he started, then cleared his throat. "I suppose it's my turn to-- are you going to finish that?" Whether he was going to fit in his uniform tomorrow was a 5:1 bet. "I don't suppose anyone wants to come clean and confess? No? Ah, it was worth a shot.

"As for consideration for our body count, I appreciate the thought, but our priority lies in finding who sold us out. The sooner we catch them, the more of us keep breathing."
Malberoth grieftide
Trainee Warrior

Malberoth took another bitter sip of the absinthe and focussed on the simpering creature across from him. He had been introduced to this wretch when they had first boarded the ark. He had called himself Tarbo and the corsair had barely stomached the pomposity with which he had carried himself then. Sat here watching the pathetic elf mewling for scraps of their evening "meal". The obvious bulge showing beneath his chainmail was enough to set the corsairs hackles rising; not to mention the bile he felt rising at the back of his throat.

Almost instinctively, he felt his hand stray over the hilt of his sword. He managed to catch himself in time, closing his eyes and intoning a soft prayer to Khaine. By the Kraken's jaw, this was more uncomfortable than the bout of Lustrian arse eels he had contracted whilst plundering Skeggi last year...
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well now that’s an interesting turn of events Nilia watched impassively as wormwood was dragged away.
You think you have heard it all and then your captain tells you to find the assassins in your midst, by talking of all things. Most unconventional. On the other hand it did have the pleasant advantage of meaning that she wouldn't simply be handed over to the torturers on the off chance she was amongst the guilty. Not straight away at any rate.

Glancing around the table the navigator could not help but see guilt in the eyes of each and every one of them, elves she had known for years. Khaine's heart she had come to sea to avoid the endless feuding and paranoia of highborn society!
Well, no use crying over spilt milk,

Giving up on the slippery mass of Tilian 'pasta' Nilia simply speared a meatball with her fork and set to munching. Ridiculous fare, the cook must have been feeling whimsical, or unfriendly. Under these spices you could hide any number of poisons.
Stop, she thought You really are taking this paranoia thing too far

Swallowing her mouthful Nilia spoke
"It would be nice, of course, to keep body counts down. I bare none of you and particular ill will,"
Well, mostly true; though one or two had some irritating habits.
"But I don't see how, in these opening days we are striking more or less blind. There is no way that this ends well, all we can do is end it quickly and get rid of these traitors so we can get back to our posts.
Khaine knows what that idiot deputy of mine will get up to while I am stuck here. we could all end up on a desert island before the week is out, still plotting against one another as the spires sink out of sight beneath the sea.

Spearing another meatball the chief navigator lapsed into silence. It was going to be a long time before she felt comfortable around any of her comrades again.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Kefka Tempest eat his meal in peace. His role with the raiding crew was advanced scouting, and he was good at it. Small build, thin and quick, short blond hair he kept hidden under a hood when on his "job sites", Kefka always managed to get ahead of the on-shore raiding parties and clear the way, quickly and silently.
During these scouting missions, food was more a luxury, so Kefka gladly ate whatever food was available, when it was available. This... exotic meal was no exception. The noodles never seemed to end, not without another one starting, and Kefka made a fool of himself as he starred down at his plate, slurping up the never-ending string of food. This was only made more comical, or sad, when Tachyan entered with his prisoner, all serious like. Kefka did,however, lose his appetite and finally bite off his noodle when the disgusting "wormwood" started feasting.

Finally, the meeting started. Their goal was clear ahead of them, but the path looked dark and weary. Though Kefka's abilities were best suited for the dark and in secret, he was surprisingly open and friendly when with others,so he was one of the first to open discussion.
"Well, Drainial, it is a good thing I work in the dark, it makes stricking blindly more accurate." He took a moment to realize his words. "Though, uh, don't think that line makes me suspicious or anything... just, er, trying to be metaphorical and stuff."
He quickly cleared his throat and moved on to cover up his embarrassment. "Well, though we may be in the dark, it may still be simple to root out treachery. Just look at a few of the peoples mannerisms here. Malberoth, you seem hostile towards Tarbo for some reason. Though that would make a normal thug suspect, I doubt a highly trained assassin who has lived with us for weeks would lett hat slip. Tarbo,however,has irked you for some reason. Care to describe why?"
He left the floor open for anyone to answer him, or place their own words.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Zzug
Trainee Warrior

Post by Zzug »

Mala seemed a pitiful excuse for a sorceress. Quiet, shy, and Tezla could tell that the girl was faking her studies. Pitiful girl, she should have the members of this room fear her power and potential. If Tezla had her way, this room would be filled with the current of the mage winds, chilling the other members of this room to the bone and bowing to her will. But none of that had to do with the situation. It was now to uncover the assassins, and survive. Tezla would find such glory and power another day.
Tezla was content to listen to the other members bicker among themselves. She cared little for them, but she did need them to survive this dilemma. She listened to one shady character, Kefka, speak to the others, and something struck her as odd in his speech. She stood and faced him.
"A member of this council acts hostile and suspicious, and you immediately say he is not? Your tongue dances a funny dance, shade. Perhaps you two are in cahoots together and you are just defending his behavior. As of this moment I trust no one here, but you two are certainly gaining my unwarrented attention."
She turned to Malberoth. "You better speak up instead of just sitting there menacingly. What do you have to say for yourself?"
Malberoth grieftide
Trainee Warrior

Malberoth's attention was arrested by the calm and collected voice of the Druchii across from him. He looked up at the speaker to see an elf of wiry build, with a thin shock of blond hair. He could sense the coiled power within the slight frame of the Druchii and also marked the dangerous glint within his eyes.

He gently let his hand drift from the hilt of his sword, shifting in his chair, awkwardly giving the impression that he was reclining. How in the chilled hells of Naggaroth had Kefka seen his movements? He had wagered he had keen eyes, but this was something more discomforting entirely. He found himself appraising the raider, noting his slight frame. There's an assasins build if he ever saw one.

The female voice next to him chimed in again, imploring him to reply. Malberoth found his hands clench around the Bastonne crystal wine flute glass he held. By Khaine her voice was like a harpies nails down an obsidian screen. He cleared his throat:

"Forgive me....sorceress" He measured his tone carefully. He had thought of less fitting titles for the hell biatch but felt it was a prudent move not to anger one of Morathi's sisters, especially in such enclosed surroundings. Those who rankled sorcereresses tended to find a way to void their bowels as well as any necessary organs at any given moment. "I bear no-one on this vessel ill will, least of all one of your prodigious..talents. As for Kefka, he and i share a common trade. The life of a Corsair is one of brotherhood and of comparatively simple means. Our trade is made on the seas, not in cloak and dagger affairs such as this. As for Tarbo, i was merely sickened by the lack of decorum he showed in shovelling such vast quantities of our "food" down his pallid throat. I was almost tempted to strike him like a rabid dog. One would almost think his mother had rutted with a halfling."

Draining the glass of Absinther, Malberoth leaned forward, steepling his fingers, matching stares with Kefka and Tezla. "I feel it would be prudent in our search for these hidden assailaints, if we were to focus our efforts on those of our kin whos character is more, shall we say...malleable than ours."
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Belial tapped his fingers, and looked around at the assembled druchii. Those that looked back saw an elf of average build, his pale complexion topped with his short black hair. Three earrings pierced the right ear, and a black tattoo of a druchii rune sat around his left eye. Practical clothing wrapped his light, well trained frame, but there was no doubt that the materials were far more expensive than your average naval officer.
Belial was blueblood, a son of House Menshur. In his own words, just about the fines piece of druchii ever to walk the streets of Har Ganeth. He had so much to offer his house. Unfortunately, his father didn't give any space for his potential, and kept him out of any real positions of power. So he had to prove himself. If that old fart wouldn't recognize talent and ambition when it stood right before him, maybe he would recognize a huge profit, Belial's share, when he returned from a succesful raid. He'd make a name for himself, everyone would recognize his cunning and talent. But he couldn't achieve anything on his fathers meager longboats. He had much higher ambitions. Huge sums were paid. Promises of alliance and support were made. And suddenly Belial was an officer on another House's Ark. Albeit, in a sligtly awkward position... There was no clear defining of his roles or duties. He had held high power, but there was no specific area they were to be exercised. And therein lay his challenge for the coming weeks. And some point or other, he had been bossy not just to one or two of the people assembled, because of him being their particular officer. He had been tyranizing all of them at some point. Well, at least it had been for their own good. He had been right in the orders and counterorders he had given.
This was a challenge. Failure might mean death.
Finally, something to do.

"I see Tarbo is eager to start cutting throats... And I for one actually agree with him. For now. As long as we don't have anything to go on, we must still remember that if we don't make some kind of progress, then our opponents will."
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Cathel tossed aside the napkin disgustedly, the display of the prisoner had ruined the last bit of his appetite.
He downed his drink and waved the slave for more.
As a low born officer of a contingent of corsairs the idea of getting some non sea-food had been the highlight of his day.
His looks clearly showed his style of living, weathered and scarred. He had been serving as a corsair for all of his adult life.

"We might just want to hold the blodshed for a while so not to kill the wrong persons."
He was glad he wore his chainmail and sword, even to a dinner among fellow officers. Being of lower birth he wanted to sound as inoffensive to the highborn as possible.
"An inappropriate amount of aggression without any distinct reason for it might be an indication of a desire to thin our ranks. We should be more intent on finding the perpetrator before we start executing."
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"and how, pray tell, do you propose we do that?"
Lordanubis
Dark Rider

Post by Lordanubis »

“I agree with Belial.”

Zenobia leant forward as she spoke, sharp grey eyes flickering from one face to another, eyes set in a thin face that was hardened by years spent at sea. Her hair, which she’d long ago dyed a dark blue, was tied back in a tight braid. Other than that, she was unremarkable, only the numerous pockets sewn into the simple robes that she wore under her armour and the constant twitching and fiddling of her spiderlike fingers set her apart from most Druchii. She was a Corsair officer, who had remained in her current post because her talents fitted her to it perfectly.

“At this point, we have no evidence. There is probably no evidence to find.”

She spun the spoon absently in her fingers.

“But, as Belial also said, if we don’t do anything, whoever’s out to sabotage or kill us will. So, while I can understand the urge to wait for proof, we can’t afford the luxury of ‘proof’. We need to be decisive.”

With a sudden motion, Zenobia stopped the spoon's motion.

“But not until everyone has said something. Then we need to find a throat to cut. Who knows? We might get lucky. And if not, the conversation will lend us more information for the following debate.”

The Corsair settled back, ignoring her food, and waited for someone else to comment.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"Well said Zenobia. You share my sentiments."
Belial looked round at the as yet quiet assemblees.
"Speak. Lest we might remove you first, so you don't hinder our advance."
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Kyler Stern cheif comander of the Reaper Bolt throwers on deck watch quietly as his fellow shipmates played a game of words.... Idiots. the more you talk the more chance they will find something wrong and try and kill you... As Belial and Zenobia had their up roar he though to himself Those two are out for blood..... They may be our enemy

After hearing Belial comand those to speak Kyler stood up from the table

"You wish for us to speak... well here I am talking full blown for the world to see. I have hered what all have said. By my count we have those who wish to draw blood and those who would like evidence. I am with those who need evidence. I am a corsair, a brother of the sea. We cannot just kill all who are in our way" just those in mine would be nice assasins
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

"I share your position, Belial, as well as Zenobias I just wanted information instead of rash action." His eyes glanced over to Malberoth.
"Hearing out everybody before making a decision is a step I support, too."
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"Sorry, corsair, I didn't quite catch your name?" Belial said with a mocking voice.
"Please. Introduce yourself. Then tell me how you want to go about finding evidence."
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

"I am Kyler, Kyler Stern. Comander of the Reaper Bolt throwers in this ship. I propse we hear everyone out just as you said Belial, but I do not wish to go about killing without any reason. I belive we need someone of wit to find our culprits. Weither that be you or I Belial, remains to be seen"
After his speach Kyler sits back down. He plans to watch as other speek.
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

Just a little heads up from myself: the rules involving voting have been posted in the sign-up thread.
It would appear I forgot to add those. :roll:

For those who issued votes through PM; I'm not going to count them just yet seeing as you might have thought the voting system was anonymous. The implication that everyone knows who votes what might change things.

If you still want to place your vote, please post them in this thread.

This ends the public broadcast. ;)
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

"Hmm, if it is by any means possible I would very much prefer if everyone just left the hilts of their blades rest in peace. Hmm, for now."

Draknir spins his fork around in his skeletally wiry hand. The willowy Druchii slouches relaxedly in his seat, listening carefully to each speaker.

"As we don't, hmm, have any evidence whatsoever, and we don't want to use the Ganethian deduction method and murder a person by random, I suggest we should play a little game of sorts for starters. A game of minds. For example, answering random questions. It would help us learn more about each other's intentions."

Draknir's thin fingers cease the incessant spinning and lay the fork carefully down on the table in a perfect angle.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Belial raised an eyebrow, by Draknirs quizzical remark.
"A strange idea, but who knows... Ask away."
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

"I'd like to say something." It didn't come as much of a surprise. Telrunya was aging in his years, but steady in his hands and sharp in his eyes and mind. He had an intense, determined focus appreciated by some, but coming off as distant and cynical to others. He was the ship's surgeon, and an ardent believer in the adage that soft healers leave festering wounds.

"Everyone would like proof for the exact reason of proof being what it is: a tangible, irrefutable fact that supports a point or, in this case, guilt. The dichotomy here is not between wanting blood and wanting proof, it is between being decisive and being naive. We've been on this boat for months and we didn't even know there were infiltrators. Thinking you will figure this out on the spot and at this very moment is naive. Proof will not come willingly and you will not figure this out on your own.

"But being decisive doesn't mean we have to stab about wildly in the dark. Just in these few hours, three things occurred to me.

"First of all, I noticed this strange obsession with the eating habits of one man. Eating habits. Nothing else." Telrunya tried to peer at Tarbo through a glass eye he was holding in between his fingers, as if he could somehow make a diagnosis of him. "While clinically interesting, he only shows the body is quite elastic. Later on, he might show signs of dysentery. Neither are relevant to our cause.

"Secondly, a decent observation by our resident sorceress, here. Tezla noticed that Kefka made a rather schizophrenic reasoning. It seemed like the reasoning served only to fit the conclusion. Then the question of course becomes: why is the conclusion that Malberoth is innocent so important to Kefka? And would he care to elaborate on that?

"Yet my third, final, and most puzzling thought is about Nilia. Nilia, you say that you do not bear us ill will. Now, forgive me saying: what news from the front? This is a rather self-evident statement, don't you agree? Nobody else deemed it necessary to share this, perhaps because they were thinking it goes without saying. Now, what made you disagree with your compatriots in that your loyalties required explicit stating?"
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"Very astue Telrunya. Veru astute..."
Belial folded his delicate arms, and leant back.
"Of course, you are right. I don't propose that we just vote a random person off now, and get on, I merely point out, that we are not, as you point out yourself, likely to uncover any conclusive evidence. But you did point one thing out that i missed. It is indeed strange that one person seems to have some sort of confidence in another. Why is Kefka so trusting of Malberoth?"
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Eyes in the room descended upon Kefka. His somewhat awkward reasoning had gotten him in trouble. He knew it, trying to defend someone only pointed him out as a possible culprit.
"Ah... yes, well..." He stammered, a little at odds with the situation. Would a full reversal of reasoning help prove his innocence? Or only make him more suspicious.
"Well I was only trying to play elimination. We have little to go on here and I was only trying to use what little I had. If I had condemned him right away instead of defend him, would you still suspect me?"
He let the words sink in for a moment, pondering different paths is often difficult.
"The enemy, I assume, wants us to guess blindly, cause suspicion against each other. The more we vote without reason or cast blame without proof, the more they win. We execute an innocent, and they get another step closer to killing us all, without getting blood on their hands. I guess I was taking a backwards approach, but I have changed my mind." Kefka was a little worried of being voted out. He needed to prove his innocence. If he died, so be it, but if they thought him unloyal and his death meant nothing, that would truly shame him. "To prove my innocence, and that I am not in cahoots with Malberoth, why not vote for him?Yes, it is the opposite of what I was saying before, however, I value my life over his. If he is taken away and proven to be an assassin, then I guess I am too cause I defended him. If he is innocent, then so am I. How about it?"

Trying to prove his innocence, Kefka pushed the meeting forward and was the first to cast his vote:
Vote: Malberoth

"Nothing personal corsair, just don't want my hide on the burner for trying to help you."

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Belial smiled like a predator.
"Now, Kefka, the problem is, how do we know this isn't just an attempt to cast the suspcion off you and Malberoth?"
He paused, slightly, the followed up, resting his head on the upside of his hand.
"Of course, it matters little what you had said and done. That's the tricky part, and I don't envy you. I doubt there's anything you could do that doesn't just seem even more suspicious at this point... You have gotten a raw deal here, and I'm afraid that you are all we have to go on. But on the other hand, if you vote for Malberoth and the closest thing we have resembling a theory is that you and he are 'in cahoots', as you say, then I'm gonna start with him. Closer to a majority that way, and we can always go for you second, if we hit paydirt."

There was no pleasantness to be found in Belial's eyes, as he stared into Kefka's. He held his gaze for a few moments, then looked around at the other druchii.

"Also, I do believe there are yet a few who hasn't spoken. Maybe they'll change my mind."

Vote: Malberoth