SAU 19: On the Brink of Madministration

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Re: SAU 19: On the Brink of Madministration

Post by Tarbo »

“I can't believe we just did that,” Polce said wide-eyedly. “I can't believe I just did that.”

“You did great,” Tarbo assured her. “You're a natural.”

Polce smiled nervously, and eyed the brown package in Tarbo's hands. These were the forms she had been chasing all these days; right there, in his hands. “Can't I just take one and—” She stopped and stared at the one paper sheet he also held. “Why do you have a large exclamation mark on there?”

“To get his attention,” Tarbo answered, and held it up high over his head.

“Who? What?” She stopped and stared down the large office floor when she saw movement.

An armoured elf ran into the room and came to a brusque halt in the doorway. Polce wasn't sure what exactly she was looking at: the elf wore red armoured pants, blue padded boots, an asymmetrically horned silver helmet with a pirate's eyepatch, and more rings than a circus accident. When he spotted the exclamaton mark, he ran at it in a direct line, jumping precariously over desks and clerks (to the latter's disgruntlement and dismay) on his beeline.

“Polce, I'd like you to meet Haksor,” Tarbo said, leaving some room for his friend to join. “Haksor is... special.”

“Um... hello.” Polce offered her hand in greeting, stunned by the myriad of colour and armour he wore. “I'm Polce.”

“hi :) u ned dup”

Polce blinked confusedly, and aimed her eyes at Tarbo. “What did he just say?”

“That's not really important,” Tarbo said, and handed the brown package over to Haksor. “Do your worst, Haksor.”

“kk 1sec”

“What the...? Did you just give him the A-5's?”

“Relax, it'll all work out,” Tarbo soothed her, and took a step aside to give Haksor some room.

Haksor, in turn, stuffed the brown package in his armour, and then took it out again. And then he stuffed the package into his armour again, and again took it out. And again. And again.

Polce slowly rolled her eyes to Tarbo. Tarbo returned a serious, dutiful look. The master plan was unfolding. The eagle was about to land.

Suddenly, a thick stack of paper, wrapped in a brown package, flew against Polce's chest. With reflexes honed for decades in catching wayward office apparel, she clutched the package with both hands and looked at it. Why did Haksor give her the package? Before she could ask, she saw that Haksor was still holding the brown paper package.

She blinked amazedly. “I... I don't understand. How did he—?”

“What happens with Haksor, stays with Haksor,” Tarbo cautioned, and he snatched another brown package that launched itself from Haksor's armour as he pulled it out again, still holding one of his own. “You keep yours.”

“lol item dup bug”

°°°

The meeting hasn't officially come to voting yet, but votes are already going around, and are closing to a majority. Your department head seems confused by the activity, not sure whether she should intervene and put to the vote whether an actual vote should be kept until a later time, or whether that process, too, should be put to a vote. The thinking process has her sufficiently embroiled to keep her from acting or, as it seems, doing much more than simply breathe.

Mioralynthia is more of a multitasker, and manages to breathe and take notes all the same, following the tally as people raise their hand and declare their vote.

Anleth slowly strokes her upper arm, calming the muscle she sprained from dragging Deroth away as decreed by the previous meeting. As a majority seems to approach, she prepares herself for... well, for anything. She prepares for a rush for the doors, prepares for a fight, and prepares at the very least to be awake when everything goes down; a herculean effort all the same.

“So far, I have that you've come to a majority on Devan,” Mioralynthia says, and taps her notepad with her pencil while counting the votes. “Devan, if you please?”

“Wait,” the department head suddenly says, peeking into the proceedings. “We haven't put it to a vote yet.”

“Everyone has already declared their votes,” Mioralynthia explains with a veneer of calm.

“But we haven't arrived to the voting part of the agenda yet.”

“The discussion and subsequent silence has gone on long enough; if people have declared their vote, they had the chance to alter it.”

Your boss lips her tongue inelegantly, staring witlessly at Mioralynthia. “But they haven't actually voted until—”

“Did you know sorceresses can detonate people from a distance?” Mioralynthia raises with a smile as fake as the queen's bosom.

“...I did not know that.”

“Not many people do. Shall we declare majority?”

Devan could see where this was heading. “There is a special place in HR for people like you, Calisson. I'll make sure to save a seat.” He collects his papers and pencils from the table, keeping a stark glare on Calisson, and narrows his eyes at him while he slowly takes a bite out of his ketchup-covered apple.

Anleth gently takes his arm and clears her throat. Devan takes another bite out of his apple, glaring at Calisson. With a sigh, the captain starts dragging the intern away and out of the meeting room.

Mioralynthia collects her notes and rises from her seat. “Very well. That concludes this meeting. You should return to your duties; we'll let you know when the next meeting starts.”

You follow the sorceress' example and clear out of the meeting room. The mood is slightly grimmer than last time but, like last time, the five of you remaining are also relieved to leave the meeting of your own accord.

But a great question still remained: what would happen now?

-> Calisson
  1. Drainial

-> Drainial
  1. Sleekdd
  2. Calisson
  3. Nelmeer
  4. Belial

-> Sleekdd
  1. Meteor

Chronological voting record
  • Nelmeer: -> Belial
  • Drainial: -> Calisson
  • Sleekdd: -> Drainial
  • Meteor: -> Sleekdd
  • Calisson: -> Drainial
  • Nelmeer: Belial -> Drainial
  • Belial: -> Nelmeer
  • Belial: Nelmeer -> Drainial

Player list
  1. Meteor
  2. Calisson
  3. Belial
  4. Nelmeer
  5. Sleekdd

Dearly Departed
  1. Lordanubis (loyal) - Morning 1
  2. Deroth (protector, loyal) - Evening 1
  3. Telrunya (loyal) - Night 1
  4. Drainial (loyal) - Day 2

It is now Night. Dawn will come on the 5th of April, around 19h UTC, or when all uses of abilities have been relayed to me.
Nelmeer
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nelmeer »

Nelmeer's eyes shifted to normal as slowly and pensively as they had crossed. The spider that had riveted her attention continued dangling from its web across the room, quite nonchalantly.

Nelmeer lifted a finger and opened her mouth, portending a speech. She curtly abandoned both efforts. A couple of seconds later, she lifted the same finger and opened her mouth. Once again, her whole body sank.

This process repeated itself a good many times before she could finally elocute: "Whuh... blee... hamnoo?"

People who were in her proximity when she shuffled back to her cubicle might have later remembered hearing a faint mutter -- a whisper of a mumble of a sigh of a mutter: "This is why we can't have nice things."

- - -

(OOC: Wow, this Morning lasted so long that I completely forgot we could have continued voting in the Evening.)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

"Don't tread on me." replied Calisson to Devan as he left. :evil:
"Don't ignore me when I ask polite questions. Don't you criticize my way to make coffee when you don't even try.
And above all, don't ever, NEVER dare to call my scientific methods a babble again."

Calisson becalmed and scratched his nose.
"Talking about methods, how unexpected a result. :?
Well, unexpected... for most of us." As he whispered, he was taking care not to look at anyone, but he knew well who he was thinking about.
"Meteor, I don't know how you did it, but you were right in your prudent attitude.
No elaborate but wrong conclusion as Sleekdd.
No hatred blindness as me.
No opportunity hasty vote as Nelmeer.
No last minute change as Belial.

Still, game's not over yet. The good pilot reaches destination despite adverse winds.
I know I'll spend the night thinking about how to make the best of tomorrow. !conf!
I am confident you all will do the same.
Good night."

OOC: See you next SAU, Drainial.
I imagine that your silence is due to busy RL.
Too bad you hadn't a chance to speak up. :(
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Devan never spoke up, the fool, probably too speechless to. Turns out from the gossip that Devan wasn't the one they were after.

"Heh, I'm probably as good as dead then. Sleekdd, will you do what you did to Tel'? Or will I live just to make you less suspicious for now? This night will sure be interesting." Meteor muttered to himself as he retired back to his wing.

"As long as I get my king-fish, I'll be satisfied"
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

The vampire was not smiling any more. Not even at the prospect of being allowed to resume reviewing tax returns.

"I hope I will see you all tomorrow. Bring sharp minds and eyes, because we have run out of chances."
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

SAU 19: Day 3

Post by Tarbo »

The pencil swung back and forth like an out-of-control, upside down pendulum. Random bite marks gave it a subtle but distinctive whistle as it whooshed by Nelmeer's ears. The draft was soothing. This was her thinking pencil.

Something was off about all this. Yes, forms were shredded, processes were blocked, people were decaffeinated, but the underlying purpose seemed greater than simply disrupting the ten-some of people in their department. Yes, there was more at play here than the daily Performance Enhancing Per Teaming And Leadership Committee meetings let on.

Next to her, the large achiver groaned tiredly as even more paperwork was unloaded into it. Two wooden blocks on her end allowed it to balance in the hole that gravity helped it slowly grind into the floor as it wiggled back and forth each time its massive drawers opened. The 217.T to supervise office reparation works was rumoured to come in sometime next week. It lasted this long; it would probably last another week.

Annoyed, Nelmeer pushed her chair away from her desk and turned it in slow circles, chewing on her pencil. What was going on in this building? Why were these things happening now? What was about to happen that these disruptive elements wanted to encourage? She had the impression it was right under her nose.

Out of sight, decidedly not under her nose but in the shadows, an iron poke wiggled away the large archiver's two wooden supports.

Ping! Subtly different from the sound of fresh coffee—'ding'—this was the sound of a new supplies delivery. No longer would she have to subsist on coffee, because surely the delivery was to be the expected tea. Nelmeer bolted from her chair and grabbed her empty tea mug.

A teeth-grating shriek cried hellishly over her shoulders when the large archiver keeled over, followed by the swift demolition of everything in its path: her chair, her desk, and part of the ceiling of the floor below. Nelmeer threw a hasty look behind her, impressed by the sudden carnage in an otherwise peaceful environment.

That was going to take a lot of 217.T's.

°°°

“Eh, um, um, d-drachau, what a surprise!” the chief administrator stammered as he recognised the entourage briskly walking up the stairs, and he made a sudden turn to follow her. “What brings you to our—um, I mean, your administration?”

“Four months!” the drachau snarled, echoes of her voice drowning in the bustle of the reception lobby. “Four months has this renovation request been in this building to get one measly stamp on it! I am going to find the desk this document is on, and we will get it sorted before the end of the day, or there will be blood!”

“But, um...” He nervously tapped his fingertips together. “Surely, the drachau recognises that certain, um, things must be checked before—”

“Four! Months!” She took a deep breath when she reached the front desk, clearing her mind for a moment. “Building and Renovation, please.”

The desk clerk halted her mechanical filling out of forms marking absentees and sick leave, and peered barely over her glasses at the bristling woman with entourage standing in front of her. Wordlessly, she pointed the stub of her pencil to the tower of signs and plaques to her right.

“Thank you,” the drachau replied with a sober mix of politeness and sarcasm, and headed over to the signs.

“It's, um—I wouldn't want to imply the drachau is perhaps impatient, but, um, some things must run their due course, and... well, buildings, obviously, are zoned and must be meticulously planned and—”

“What the hell is this?”

A massive tower of signs, inscribed with cryptic sigils and abbreviations, lined the double-storied lobby wall from top to bottom, copiously stacked and layered and, a recent development, color-coded. One sign in particular seemed to point to a 'continuation' on the wall just up the stairs to the left.

“Oh, this?” the chief administrator said, and took a step to the sign-swamped wall, as if to present it. “This is the result of many months of organising for peak efficiency and accessibility. You see, the most accessed ones are near the bottom, which is also where the directions to secondary listings can be found. For instance—”

“Administrator, perhaps I was not clear,” the drachau cut in, and slowly walked up to him. “Part of the building we're hoping to renovate collapsed. The wall we needed to support just toppled over, and it's going to take a lot of coin to repair it.

“Now, if I don't get an acceptable solution before the day is over, I will start hurting people. I will apply direct, physical, gratuitous violence, and repeatedly so, until I am satisfied that I have made my point. So, one way or the other, I will leave this building a happier person.”

The chief administrator blinked once, and carefully cleared his throat.

“Building and Renovation, please.”

°°°

“There's no tea?” Nelmeer was more surprised than her voice let on. “But we both heard the ping, right? Not a ding; a ping.”

Kcender's eyes narrowed, holding an empty mug like Nelmeer did. “False alarm. Some joker must've hit the bell for giggles. I'm telling you, us tea drinkers, we're second-rate citizens here.” He turned away, dragging his feet on his way back to his desk. “If I get my hands on that guy...”

°°°

“Thank you all for coming,” your department head or 'chairelfinn,' as Calisson addresses her, says when you arrive at the first topic of today's Performance Enhancing Per Teaming And Leadership Committee meeting. “In matter of good order, the attendance list first: Anubis?”

“Seriously?” Anleth suddenly says. “You took Deroth, Telrunya, and Devan off the list, but you can't take off Anubis?”

The chairelfinn pulls her head back, caught off guard by the sudden comment, then finely corrects her glasses on the bridge of her nose. “Your displeasure is noted, captain, but procedures must be followed. It is not simply a matter of crossing out a name.”

“Oh yes, it is,” Anleth maintains, and reaches her hand for the list in front of the chairelfinn. “Allow me.”

Immediately, the chairelfinn yanks the list away, holding it safely out of Anleth's reach while she eyes her distrustfully. “You will do no such thing.”

“Leave it, captain,” Mioralynthia sighs, and turns to address you. “Ladies, gentlemen, we have it on good authority that the attempt on Nelmeer's desk was rather an attempt on her well-being. A very fortunate... 'coincidence' has her here in good health, instead.”

“Also,” your department head cuts in, “someone has been misusing the delivery bell. There is simply no end to the lawlessness here.”

Mioralynthia smiles frigidly at her, then turns her attention back to you. “Please, continue your deliberations in light of this information.”

Player list
  1. Meteor
  2. Calisson
  3. Belial
  4. Nelmeer
  5. Sleekdd

With 5 players, 3 constitute a majority.

Dearly Departed

It is now Morning. Evening will come on the 8th of April, around 19h UTC. Players who have not posted by then are removed from the game. Please note that voting is allowed, but will only take effect in the Evening.

The attempt on Nelmeer's continued well-being was stopped by protector ability of one of the players.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Five of them.
Calisson was relieved to see that the night had been more lenient than the previous one.
As he recalled to the group, that was like the famous Blood Bowl semi-final, when the Darkside Cowboys team, losing 2-3 to the Orcland Raiders, scored at last turn with a long pass and two go-for-it, allowing for an extention of the game. The Raiders, caught by despair, lost morale and were beaten 4-3.

Still, last night's non-event was said to have been a near miss. It could have been dramatic for... no way, Nelmeer?
In so little time, what could have she done in her office to justify such a treatment?
Immediately, Calisson thought about female's jalousy, but this thought, he kept it for himself. The four other members of the team being all males, that left... their department head? No, it made no sense.

Calisson resumed his analysis of the past night.
How in the world could the failed aggression against Nelmeer be linked with the present inquiry?
Nelmeer had provided the coup de grace on Deroth - innocent - and had been very aggressive against Devan - innocent, too.
Actually, she would have been number one on Calisson's suspect list, as he admitted. :oops: Calisson shook his head in misbelief, looking at her.
But now, they were back to examine who could have been guilty of all these misbehaviours.

Four suspects remained. Meteor, Calisson, Belial, Sleekdd.

Meteor had not voted the first day, and refused to vote against Devan the second day. He had been incredibly skillful for not showing any hint of aggressivity. He even had expressed his thought that he would be the next victim. Calisson was glad that he had received some help, apparently. ;)

Second on the list, Calisson had voted like Nelmeer, and therefore had to be suspected. He hoped that other group members would understand his rationale the first day, which was to force people to talk and, by doing so, to help saboteurs to reveal themselves. As for the second day, he had been aggressed violently by Devan and had reacted with great moderation. Still, Calisson wondered whether other explanations would be necessary. :roll:

Belial's attitude was nearly as low profile as Meteor's. He had voted twice like Nelmeer, on innocents, and with more information than Calisson on the likely outcome. Still, the strong reluctance he had shown on the second day could instillate doubts, assuming it was not faked. :?

Then Sleekdd. He had shown a very acute analysis of the events. Still, on the second day, he had been the first to incite voting Devan off, and had not provided any explanation since. His rationales were difficult to understand. :o_O:

Calisson ended his own analysis, and asked the group:
"We need to understand better Sleekdd's motives, which were asked yesterday but did not get answered.
There are probably other past acts that seem suspicious, that I failed to mention.
It would be perfect time to list them all and - calmly - examine them."
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

“You want my rationale?” Sleek asked. “Sure, though I thought I had made that clear – why did you agree to it, otherwise, and vote along with me?

“The idea was the following: I went out on the assumption that you, Calisson, were innocent and were left untouched during recess so you would get voted off during the second session. As I had stated before, you had unwittingly manoeuvred yourself in a very bad spot: you attracted attention – and that always means the good and bad sort; you were not popular with the group, especially with your methodology and you had picked the wrong target, which would decrease your standing and credibility even more.
“In other words, you looked like the perfect person to get voted off. Now, the bad guys, having set up this little ambush, would be safe in the knowledge that an attack on you wouldn't take much effort to yield results. Even better, when you get voted off and it turns out you're innocent, nobody would put the blame on the one who started this: nobody liked you anyway and odds were good that there wouldn't be any possibility for retaliation.
“So, when Devan opened up on you, I pounced back, thinking I had found the guilty party.”

“I think it's safe to say things did not turn out the way they were planned, neither on my side, nor the one of the bad guys, but we are still in a tight spot,” Sleek went on. “Two saboteurs in a group of five means it will be very hard to get the right one voted off. A unanimous decision will be required and that means all innocent people here will need to band together to make this work.”

“And thus begins round three, and now I am in the position you were the time before, Calisson,” Sleek smiles wryly. “With the exception that I did manage to get something right.” Sleek eyed Nelmeer smugly. “Not too disappointed about the tea, I hope?”
Nelmeer
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nelmeer »

Nelmeer glowered half-heartedly at Sleek. She was not obviously shaken by the attempt on her life -- her eyelashes were as diligently curled as ever -- but every so often, an attentive spectator could see her twitch, hear her mutter "Ping. It was a ping. Bell didn't ding, it pinged. Ping!"

The elf stretched her fingers atop the table. "Well, I find myself in a strange position," she began. "On the one hand, as Calisson pointed out, I was a crucial factor in the expulsion of Deroth and Devan, both loyals. On the other hand, I am the only one in this group who is definitely innocent. I'm not sure if and how this will affect the reception of my views, going forth. Having said that..." A tiny frown creased her forehead. "...I stand by my suspicion of Belial. Granted, he took his time voting for Devan, but that may very well have been an exit strategy in case we got a third day. Which, lo and behold, we did. Moreover," she continued, and the frown no longer contributed to a look of uncertainty, but one of timid resolve, "Telrunya must have been voted off for a reason, as I said before, and if that 'reason' wasn't Devan, it ought to be Belial. He was Telrunya's only other suspect. Besides, Belial was the only person who voted for me, and as it turns out, I am quite innocent. But then... I think he knew this in advance." She gave her colleagues a wide, sweeping once-over. "Sleek is right. This is our last shot. All innocents should vote, and they should vote cooperatively. We have to make this world a better place for A-5s everywhere."
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"Well," Belial started as he had finally finished his breakfeast mug, "we really are on our last leg aren't we. Fortunately, I think there's a clear pattern now, and we have an advantage in at least knowing Nelmeer is on our side. Still, this is our last shot. With five remaining members, one of whom we know for a fact is innocent, we're looking at a 50% chance of hitting or missing, assuming that there are two vandals, 1/4 if it's just the one. Nelmeer is vouched for, by virtue of filing cabinet, saved by the bell and all. Extraordinary luck that, by the way, almost as if someone rang the bell just to warn you, hm?"

The vampire locked eyes with Nelmeer, and winked.

"Now, that leaves Meteor, Callison, Sleek... and myself.

Sleek has been acting logically. That, to me, is one hell of a voucher. His reasons for opening up on poor Devan yesterday makes sense now, and even though they didn't pan out, the logic was sound. I'd say we can add Sleek to the trusted pile.

Callison has been taking charge from day one, and so far, even with all his scientific mumbo-jumbo, he hasn't been right. How better to maneuvre things into position, than by leading and telling everyone where to go? There's always a chance that it could just be pure bum luck, of course.

Meteor... There's actually not a lot to say about Meteor. He has been extremely passive. As Callison pointed out, he abstained from voting on the first day, on the second he voted for Sleek early in the day, and left things at that. As a whole, he has done absolutely no wrong. Never contributed to voting off an innocent. He is so below any reasons for suspicion, that he actually sticks out among us. Nelmeer didn't speak out against him and yesterday she actually acted as if she regarded him as innocent, and what happens in the night? Someone tries to file her under D. You ask me, his lack of suspicious behaviour is so extreme that it is actually suspicious. Yesterday must have been wonderful for him, watching everyone go for the run guy, then seeing me and Nelmeer squabble for hours to no avail.

Meteor, to me, is the most obvious suspect, Callison popping up at a close second. I see no reason why Sleek would be working against us. Nelmeer is obviously off the hook. I'm not gonna go around suspecting myself, as I don't think I suffer from split personalities."
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

"Nelmeer was attacked overnight? Well, guess it saved me from being the victim then. Although today will be interesting seeing as though the saboteurs were thwarted, putting Nelmeer in the clear. Or did it? May have been a coincidental elaborate plan, very elaborate." Meteor mused to himself.

Extending further, he felt a pang of pity that she seemed very unlikely to be the one they're after now. Though Meteor never fully suspected her, her brazen attitude annoyed him, he sure would had liked to see her sent off either way. Regardless, for the sake of his own safety, they needed to find these saboteurs, and fast. He prayed for there to be only one.

Meteor chuckled as he was once again voted for being a suspect, this time, for being the least suspicious of the group.

"Well as I had concluded myself from yesterday, if I lived to see today, it'd be Sleek that I'd suspect. Although...not entirely convinced. Belial is being awfully hasty today in targeting me, a self-proclaimed victim of the night, for being the least suspicious. It really doesn't make sense does it? And we have been wrong before in targeting people that we lacked evidence to say that they are the culprits. I find the argument against me by Belial to be a rather foolish attempt at bringing up a poor excuse to be used to vote someone off. As for Calisson, up until now, I have been absolving him of any suspicion, been giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the risk of prejudice from speaking up so openly and constantly. It does draw a lot of attention and usually, hate. However, Calisson is being rather too passive and logical, if Belial is going to be suspecting because I'm the least suspicious, then I'd point out that Calisson is just as open for being a suspect for the same reason, being so open yet so passive. But, I still cannot find much fault in suspecting Calisson just yet.

However, I had reason to suspect Sleek from yesterday, reasons why Belial, on the contrary, would rope Sleek into the safe pile with Nelmeer is beyond my comprehension. So, it seems to me Sleek and Belial are a concern to me right now. It's weird why Nelmeer is targeted though, it's confusing and frankly not overly helpful."

Catching a wink by Belial targeted at Nelmeer, it further raised his suspicion of Belial and Sleek.

"Oh? Do I detect two people claiming credibility in keeping Nelmeer alive and present now? I also warn everyone to not be so hasty with voting. It only takes three to cast a majority vote. If there's more than one saboteur, then they'd undoubtedly band together to destroy an innocent that has a vote casted on them already. I urge everyone to NOT cast their official vote until an agreement has been made as a whole, first. On that logic, Belial was the first one to be voted today, followed by me. Whilst my following logic doesn't work in my favour entirely, it does reinforce my suspicion for Belial as well as Sleek based on my warning about careless votes. The other saboteurs could have just casted their vote in now for a majority and Belial would be off and away. But instead a random vote has been voted by Belial, if there's two saboteurs, and Belial is one, hypothetically. Then the other one can't make a move to secure a majority unless another innocent votes for me first. Anyone want to make a martyr out of me to test this hypothesis?" Meteor looked at Nelmeer as he half seriously said that. Knowing Nelmeer is the most innocent of them all right now, and void of suspicion as of now.

OOC: Apologies if I can't go into too much depth on the logical discussion right now, or if mine doesn't quite make sense. I'm going off the top of my head, I'm swamped with uni presentation work here due in a couple of days. I posted when I should have spent that time polishing my work.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"Well, Meteor, there seems to a slight error in your argument. I haven't actually voted for you yet. Or anyone. I just voiced my suspicion. Feeling pressured?"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Calisson took his pipe made from a finely carved killer whale tooth. He filled it slowly with algae tobacco, listening carefully.
He lit it up, and puffed a couple of small clouds while concentrating his gaze. <puff, puff>
The panel forbidding to smoke was hanging on the wall above his head. Where it was, he could not see it, and anyway, it showed a cigarette, not a pipe, didn't it?

Passive? Meteor had called Calisson passive? :evil: Calisson frowned at him but refrained from replying tit for tat.
Everybody had called for a calm debate, after all. :|
Suddenly, :idea: Calisson smiled. :) His next intervention would be anything but passive. The exact opposite. Like it or not. :twisted:
After everyone had expressed himself, Calisson puffed his pipe once more and took the floor again. <puff, puff>

"We probably have, together, all the information we need. It just needs to be made clear, and it needs to be shared.

As Meteor has noticed, two of us already boast to have protected Nelmeer.
I have to admit that myself too, I would love to be called by this charming elfin her protector, but... :oops: alas... ahum... well, I'll come back on that later.

Among us five, there might be one or two protectors, I don't know.
One for sure, who protected Nelmeer. Maybe two, if Deroth's willingness to protect innocents had been taken upon by a new brave person.
It is well possible that both would have protected Nelmeer. Why would they have done that, I fail to understand, but that's another story.
I could not imagine that there would be three protectors. This is a rare quality amongst Druchii - and Vampires, as far as I know - and even rarer amongst ordinary administrative personnel.

Overall, we have some maximum and minimum numbers of protectors and non-protectors.
Assuming that there are two saboteurs - or vandals or a mix -, that leaves only three innocents.
There can be only one or two protectors.
There can be only one or two innocent non-protectors.
I include Nelmeer in these numbers.

Let's all declare in which category we fall. I expect full cooperation from all innocents! :D ...of course.
After we all declared ourselves, one category must include at least three of us. One of these will be... a liar! :x
As we know for sure that Nelmeer will tell the truth, that should well help to narrow our suspicions. :killed:

I'd like to ask all of us whether you were a protector, yes, or no? If yes, please specify if you protected Nelmeer or anyone else.

As for myself... :badh: I cannot blame me hard enough, but I did not protect you, dear young Miss Nelmeer. I did not protect anyone, by the way.
Sooo? What about the rest of you? Do you dare to cooperate? :P "

<puff, puff>
Calisson wondered whether this new method would please the assistance.
After all, it was scientific, once more.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

"That's quite true, but my caution still stands. And I do agree with Nelmeer, I find there to be something not quite right about Belial, other than the fact he's a vampire and a gentleman at the same. Both Sleekdd and Belial seem to be claiming credibility, yet I suspect both above Calisson. Maybe my logic is wrong, which is troublesome. And saving Nelmeer? Definitely not interested, she voted off one of our protectors on day 1, and now she's suspecting Belial, one who's claiming credibility in saving her."

Meteor chuckled at the irony involved with protecting Nelmeer and resumed balancing on the hind legs of his seven legged chair today.

"Seven legs? Wait wh-what? Hey wait a minute.."

"Admitting that you're a protector would only expose yourself to the enemy, why would anyone want to endanger themselves overnight? I would think the protectors, assuming more than one, would end up protecting each other and leaving the rest of the innocents to danger, fatal danger. It'd be easy pickings on Nelmeer. I'm not sure if it's a good idea Calisson, unless you're the one we're after, and are trying to gather more intel so you can pick out the protectors at night who are thwarting your plans? And no I'm not accusing Calisson, paranoia isn't a good feeling to go by. I'm opening up more logical discussion than 'you're suspicious for being the least suspicious'. You might as well put Nelmeer back into the suspicious list then, since she's definitely the least suspicious now."

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Calisson's long stories - usually about fighting krakens or raiding Albion - had always been entertaining but at the end of the speech, many would have forgotten the introduction.
He thought that he should write rather than talk, so that the reader could go back and forth and take the time to grasp the whole thought.
<puff, puff>

"Meteor, the saboteurs are teamed together. They know who they are. They know who we are.
If there is one thing I came to understand, it is that they have a huge information advantage.

What I am trying to do is to gather our efforts and get some information available to everyone, rather than to saboteurs only.
That will narrow the information gap.
What I am hoping to get with full coop from innocents - and forced coop from saboteurs - is not to highlight one saboteur, but two.

It is no longer time for the protectors to hope for the best. One wrong vote and there will be no tomorrow's meeting.
On the other hand, with the right vote, there will be only one saboteur remaining.
Whatever happens in the night, this saboteur will not have time to get rid simultaneously of Nelmeer and her declared protector, or protectors.
Whoever remains - and I am very conscient that my theories, especially if proved sucessful, might get myself in trouble -, with the knowledge gathered today, should have little difficulty finding the remaining saboteur, and get rid of him.
Nothing too early, but mission completed anyway.

An attitude of non-cooperation, like what you wish to keep, will not help to get the right vote today - it did not the previous days, did it?
It will only help the saboteurs to leave the group in darkness.
I'm not a shade or an assassin. Too much darkness is deadly darkness.
Even if we did cast today a useful vote - for a change -, the remaining saboteur would not care much about targeting specifically the protectors, as they will probably never again have another opportunity to use their talent."

Calisson adressed the whole group:
"Overall, I believe that time has come for a clearer view about who is who, so that saboteurs are not the only ones who understand what's happening.
One of us might have an accident. I trust whoever remains not to leave it unpunished."
He concluded at Meteor:
"Are you with us, now?" - not that he left him much choice, but that was part of the strategy.
<puff, puff>
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Meteor shrugged when Calisson finished talking. He stopped balancing on his chair and leaned forward towards the group.

"It doesn't concern me either way, I am not a protector, it's a rather troublesome task to me. It'd frighten me to be a protector and would frustrate me as a protector to either be voted off by her like on day 1, or be placed under suspicion like Belial has been. But perhaps you are right, remaining silent and secretive isn't a great idea at this stage, so we're settling for there being two or more saboteurs?"

Meteor begun balancing on his chair again as he finished. Shifting his centre of gravity back and forth to find that balance helped keep him from being bored.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Sleekdd
Highborn

Post by Sleekdd »

Sleek pinched the bridge of his nose and screwed his eyes shut a moment.
“Right, I can see where this is going,” he sighed. “Let's have a look at what we have so far. Meteor, I'd like you to put your thinking cap on because this is important.”

“It all hinges on Nelmeer's success in not being archived forcefully,” Sleek started off. “It should be easy to see who stepped up to foil the attempt. Both Calisson as Belial claimed to consider Nelmeer as suspicious. Calisson admits to not having intervened.Belial even voted for her.
“Do you think Belial suddenly saw the light after the innocent Devan was voted off? Did someone offer a solid piece of proof or even a hint to convince him to protect Nelmeer?” Sleek asked. “If anything, he would've gone after her the second this meeting started if it hadn't been for the foiled attempt at her life.

“In short: if they're innocent, they would not. If they're guilty, they could not.”

“Still following?” Sleek checked. “Because if you do, you should realize I'm not the guy you're looking to slap a vote on. And by exclusion, you should know who we are looking for, assuming you know who you are of course.”

“Now, as for myself, I find myself confused about you, Meteor,” Sleek pondered. “You see, I'm still trying to figure out whether your – let's be charitable and call it 'tenuous' – grasp on reality is the sign of a master genius fooling us all or whether this really is you.”

“Anyway, if you are innocent, Meteor, and if you understand this, you, of all the innocent people here, are the only one with a completely accurate image of the whole situation. Nelmeer was protected and innocent, I protected her and you should know who you are. That leaves you responsible with our very last possible chance to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat,” Sleek concluded. “No pressure.”
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

The drachau looked over her shoulder at the overhead sign unambiguously labeling the whole floor as Building and Renovation. With a sense of expectation yet also no small amount of skepticism, she turned back to the grizzled man at the desk. “Come again?”

“IPAFAC,” the man said, keeping a stern, indissuadable look on the woman in front of him. “Internal Process Auditing Form Approval Committee. Get an acronym dictionary from Virecladep.”

“...What even—?”

“—Visitor Regularisation and Classification Department. Visitor acronym dictionary. East wing.” He disapprovingly eyed the drachau's clear lack of visitor badge.

The drachau blinked, and quickly shook the disarrayed trains of thought from her head. “It's a renovation. Why isn't it in Building and Renovation?”

“It is in BAR,” the man corrected tonelessly. “BAR subdivision in IPAFAC, seconded personnel under Enni.”

“Fine,” the drachau exasperatedly sighed. “Fine. Where's this ipsa factum thing?”

“IPAFAC. Check the lobby.”

“Check the— Can't you just— Do you have any idea who I am?”

“You are an unauthorised visitor without a badge,” the man asserted, and narrowed his eyes—an organic one and a glass replica—invisibly at her. “Virecladep, East Wing. Get a badge, get a visitor's acronym dictionary, then get directions in the lobby.”

“Look, I get it,” the drachau said. “You're busy. You're annoyed because I broke your routine by engaging in personal interaction. Now, if you could just make one more effort to be helpful and spare five seconds to give me directions to the department that I need, I won't have to give you directions to the northern watchtowers. Just five seconds of your time.”

“You think you can scare me, girl? I've worked in administration since before the people who invented the DX were born. I was secretary for the committee that approved the A-5.” He rose from his seat, staring the drachau in the eye. “I feel no pain. I know no fear. And I do not tolerate cowboys demanding prima donna treatment in my department.

“Virecladep. East Wing. Get your visitor's badge.”

°°°

The morning sun climbs the deep blue sky peacefully, bathing the room in light and warmth through the tall windows. Subtle, broken reflections cover the see-through table and walls, and Belial scoots a little further away from the starkest light, taking his briefcase with him. Being a vampire gives you a whole slew of concerns mere mortals never need to contend with.

The balance of Meteor's chair begins to feel off. He frowns calmly, and leans back a bit more, but it stubbornly refuses to follow, and hits the floor unkindly. He tries again, but it suddenly seems nailed to the ground. It doesn't budge to the left, and neither does it move an inch to the right... Even nudging it forward runs into peculiar technical issues. He narrows his eyes, and aims them at the only sorceress in the room.

Mioralynthia returns a chilly, disapproving stare, her hand glowing softly while the other takes notes. Being a sorceress gives you a whole slew of skills mere mortals can only dream of.

“Then we have arrived at the voting portion of the meeting,” the chairelfinn and your appointed department head says, and looks at you expectantly.

Player list
  1. Meteor
  2. Calisson
  3. Belial
  4. Nelmeer
  5. Sleekdd

With 5 players, 3 constitute a majority.

Dearly Departed

It is now Evening. A majority vote will lead to removing the voted player. Night will come on the 11th of April, around 19h UTC.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Calisson chuckled. His method was producing quick results.
<puff, puff>

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'll make an announcement.
I have now sufficient elements to announce my vote. And Meteor too, by the way.
<puff, puff>

Meteor and myself are self-proclaimed non-protectors.
Sleekdd and presumably Belial are self-proclaimed protectors.
Nelmeer, you have not yet mentioned your status, but please don't interrupt me before I come to an end.
<puff, puff>

In case Nelmeer stated that she was not a protector herself, we would be three non-protectors.
Only one or two can exist, and that would include Nelmeer.
Therefore, either Meteor, or me - or both - would be saboteurs.
In that case, Meteor and myself would have no other choice than to accuse each other.

Now, in case Nelmeer stated that she was a protector herself,
still, one protector must have been telling the truth because we know that Nelmeer was actually protected, and she did not do it herself.
The other saboteur would be necessarily found amongst Meteor and me.
Again, we would have no other choice than to accuse each other.

Of course, Belial might change his strategy and pretend he is not a protector anymore, for some good reason he might find.
In that case, he would prove Sleekdd to be innocent, as nobody else would have claimed to have protected Nelmeer.
Again, necessarily, either Meteor or myself would have to be a saboteur - or both, pending Belial's explanations.
Still, we would safely be able to accuse each other.
<puff, puff>

Ladies and gentlemen, I announce you that whatever the hypothesis, either Meteor or myself - or both - are saboteurs. It is already proven.
The beauty of this situation is that it is perfectly symmetric. In order to tell who is who from us two, one needs one more piece of information.
Meteor and me have this piece of information, of course: we know who we are.

However, for those who don't have this missing information, what is not deduced by analysis can be revealed by attitude.
I have always been pushing hard for cooperation, open information and deep analysis.
Meteor has always been refusing to provide any information until I forced him. I'm curious to listen to any explanation he could find to prove me wrong.
<puff, puff>

Please, Nelmeer, don't tell whether you are a protector or not.
This is an information we no longer need as a group.
On the other hand, the remaining saboteur would be relieved to learn if you weren't.
Leave him in doubt. An information that you have, and that he has not, is precious.
<puff, puff>

Oh, Meteor, if ever you changed your mind and joined the merry gang of Nelmeer's would-be protectors, try to be very convincing.
Sure it would destroy my whole reasoning and with it, my present reason to vote against you. But that would be very suspicious an attitude, wouldn't it?"
<puff, puff>

VOTE: Meteor

OOC: Meteor, fair game if you would vote me - and good luck for your university homework! ;)
Nelmeer
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nelmeer »

"Calisson, Meteor... you don't honestly believe that Belial is a protector?" Nelmeer asked, incredulously. "I don't see how that could be the case. As Sleek so astutely observed, I was Belial's main suspect the previous day. There was one big development after he voiced his suspicions, which was the announcement of Devan's innocence. And if anything, that should have intensified his suspicions about me, not minimized them." She shook her head in wonderment; took a sip of coffee; scrunched up her nose at the foul taste. "And for the record," she added, putting the cup back down with a slow and careful deliberateness, as though she were hand-feeding a basilisk, "I will, for the time being, believe Sleek when he says he's a protector." She nodded in his direction. "I probably owe you my life. You probably owe me a cup of tea."

"Whatever the case, Belial doesn't check out. I'll start us off, then, shall I?"

Vote: Belial
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<puff, puff>
"You're right, Nelmeer. I do not believe that Belial is a protector. Indeed, he is the one I highly suspect, by far, to be Meteor's accomplice.
However, it's a belief, not a certainty. I cannot prove it. Not yet.

I explained the situation between Meteor and myself.
Could we develop a similar reasoning for Belial and Sleekdd?
For Meteor and myself, I used the open information that Nelmeer and either one "protector" is necessarily innocent.
For Belial and Sleekdd, I am missing such a similar open information regarding Meteor and me.
<puff, puff>

You, Nelmeer, might have this information I don't have. I trust you to have been more thoughtful in your vote than you were the days before.
Were you a protector, that would be one protector too many. That would prove one of them to be guilty, and that's the information I need to be available openly before I can go further.
In that case, the situation between them two would be perfectly parallel to the situation between Meteor and me.
Which means, that in addition to hard information, we need to use attitude.
Sleekdd was convincing in pointing how fancy would be Belial's motivation to protect you, but he has not replied yet.
At present, Belial is as good as d... well, how you say this for a vampire?

With all these reasons, I believe that Belial is a saboteur, but I cannot prove it.
<puff, puff>

Ironically, a very likely outcome of the present day is to have one saboteur forced to vote his accomplice off.
Indeeed, the only one to have an interest about sending anyone off as quickly as possible is the other saboteur.
All the more that if the meeting concludes abruptly with a vote, we might not have taken the time to discuss about protector's strategy for the night.
But there is still some time before this meeting comes to its conclusion.

For the moment, I will officially unvote.
Anyway, it does not matter which saboteur we vote off first.
Consider I'm ready to vote either Meteor or Belial, along with the majority of you.
Still, I'd rather hear what Belial has to say, as I have no hard proof against him.

Unvote: Meteor

<puff, puff, puff>
Could we open a window? That would clear all this smoke away."
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"Nelmeer, dear, think this through. You were indeed my main suspect yesterday, but not founded on strong grounds, as you may recall. But something happened. You and I engaged in a long and fruitless argument over whether Devan should be voted off or not. If you were indeed the saboteur, arguing that strongly for the vote would not have been a smart move. And eventually, I retracted my vote for you, as you may recall. I was not assured of your innocence, but it was either that, or you were a saboteur taking a pretty big risk. I didn't see that as likely, considering how close you could have been, and lo and behold, a filing cabinet confirms the first possibility. Maybe that was a qualified guess on my part.

Or maybe I simply wasn't the protector, and you have someone else to thank. It may be Sleek. I just can't help but wonder... If I had claimed the heroic deed to be mine own, before Sleek, and given you my rationale as I did, would that change how you perceived events? Would it change for any of you? My point was, and is, that anyone could claim to be the guardian angel here. I would strongly encourage that we look past claims to have saved anyone, and instead focus on reason to protect anyone. Do you need proof of how destructive baseless claims can be? Look at what is one of the main talking points of todays discussion."

The vampire took off his spectacles and polished them with a handkerchief.

"Now, what Sleek said had to be challenged. Were he the culprit we are looking for, his casual hint at being the hero that saved Nelmeer from a papery grave would have been a shield that would have made him untouchable. I urge that we focus on more substantial things, such at behavior and pattern during the last two days."
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

"Belial does fall under one of my new suspicions, it's a pity no one thinks Sleekdd is a suspect. Cal', you do raise some fair points, whether I follow them right now or not is another matter. It does alarm me to think you're settling your suspicions on me, I could be a badass mastermind behind all this, but honestly, it's way too troublesome. I'd like to second the move to send Belial off. He's seemingly more and more suspicious to me."

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

"And the votes go flying, and we have seemingly learned nothing from yesterday. I wonder Meteor, are you in possession of a decent rationale for your vote, or are you bandwagoning now that Nelmeer has already cast her vote? And I definitely do NOT put Sleek above suspicion."
Sleekdd
Highborn

Post by Sleekdd »

“You had a good run, Belial,” Sleek leaned back against his chair, taking care not to balance it on the hind legs – angering a sorceress is not a very good idea in a confined space (nor an open space but dodging options were better then). “But now you're falling apart quickly. You claim credit for covering Nelmeer and expect me to let that slide? You put me in the trusted pile, only to drag me off mere minutes later with what kind of excuse exactly?

“But you have helped me to understand the situation a little better. Your lie removed any confusion I might have had about your affiliation, and in that light, your actions tell me more about those you addressed today.

“It is with reluctance I deduce that Meteor is innocent of attacking the A-5 forms, leaving only one other suspect among us,” Sleek's eyes slowly turned to Calisson. “Calisson, I'm sure you understand I won't divulge my plans openly to you.

“Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm about to have a chat with a very happy insurance policy agent who will no doubt explain to me that what I did in this meeting forfeits any coverage towards the injuries I'm sure to encounter shortly.”