my first impressions of WAR...

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

my first impressions of WAR...

Post by Kinslayer »

Well, I just had my first little taste of Warhammer Age of Reckoning, having downloaded the Endless Trial from their site. Spec says my laptop can't run the game, but I tried it anyway and I can play the trial with no major issues, it just gets a little glitchy here and there. I don't know if that means my laptop would run the actual game however...

So I got on and went to choose a character, and was instantly dissapointed. I almost always choose to be a "bad guy" in games, and I am more often than not either a mage or a scout/archer/assassin type character. In the World of Warcraft trials I played a human rogue, human warlock and night elf hunter. In Warhammer, there were few options that really appealed to me. Dark elf Sorceress looked neat, but I got bored of playing her after a few moments as I realised I didn't want to be a magic user. Ideally I wanted to be a shade, but there is no option for that. So, I went over to the "light side" and became a High Elf shadow warrior.

The game itself is pretty similar to WoW from what I have played of each so far, but in my opinion is better. The graphics are better, the intoduction makes it easier to understand what to do, and the 'feeling' I get when playing was better. They are pretty darn simlar though, but that's what I expected. So I've now been running about as a high elf for 4 hours completeing quests and killing marauders, and I have to say I would definately consider buying this monthly if my laptop will run the proper game. That and if they introduce a shade class for the Druchii. Shadow Warrior fits my bill perfectly, apart from the fact he's not evil enough!!

Just my 2 cents ;)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If you can run the trial, it's *the* actual game. It just gets more people in it at later stages during siege battles so your laptop might not be able to handle the mass of players on the screen.

As for comparison to WoW, yes, it's pretty similar but better ;) And also focuses on PvP instead of PvE repeatable raids.

Classes are a little limited but that's done due to Warhammer IP and Mythic's idea of class balance. If Druchii had a Shade, then they'd have to lose Sorceress, and at the same time Greenskin Squig Herder would have to be replaced with something else. So you can see it's pretty tightly knit that replacing or adding one part will make a huge mess.

And again, if your laptop can run Trial: it *is* the proper game, it's not some cut down lite version. You simply don't have access to levels above 10 (I'm pretty sure you can still visit those areas though and "try" fighting things vastly outclassing you ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jebnus
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jebnus »

Thats like the patch they did were they added the Black Guard and Knights of the Blazing Sun, as to the comparison to WoW, WAR has an awesome class balance system, not like WoW were it has the "One Class" thats better in the patch and such :)
"And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

There is the difference that if you have the full version, you don't stream gamedata.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

i played WAR for a pretty long time after release... it is fun, but i never really got into end game as much as i did with WOW.

I'm pretty happy to say that i'm now MMORPG free.... at least until star trek online....
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

I've played WAR for some time. It seemed a nice game at first but after playing for a while I realized that its quite boring. You get to lvl40 quick and after that you just pvp. Instances in WAR are nothing comparing to WOW. There only a few of them.
My impression about WAR is that its really raw and theres not much to do in it part from pvp. I guess thats the idea of the game.
The scenarions are boring after playing them several times.
The classes in the game are all the same with a few minor deferences. You can play a dps, tank or a healer and that pretty much it.
Armour sets are a joke. You only have a few good sets in the game and thats it.
Every avatar in the game looks pretty much the same even if you use dyes for you armour. All the items for classes look pretty much the same from low to higher levels.

When you play the game you just get the impresion that its not finished and its still in beta. Not to mention that there are better MMO out on the market that are cheaper and more fun to play.
High elf is an elf after all, therefore he deserves a quick death...