Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Post by Gnosis »

Can't believe there's no discussion on this game yet. What are your thoughts? I personally believe it's fantastic, much better than Warcraft 3.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Well, considering I got a 14 day trial which allowed me to play online for 7 hours and unlimited time in single player campaign *for free*

I'm all for it.

Otherwise it's a $59.99 ripoff because the game itself (I'm not talking about the stuff surrounding the campain, but missions themselves) didn't change! At all! Sure they added a few new units for each race... but honestly? They could do it in less than a decade. Too little, too late and too expensive (but free is a price I'm willing to pay for it.)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Valnir
Slave on the Altar

Post by Valnir »

Dalamar wrote:Well, considering I got a 14 day trial which allowed me to play online for 7 hours and unlimited time in single player campaign *for free*

I'm all for it.

Otherwise it's a $59.99 ripoff because the game itself (I'm not talking about the stuff surrounding the campain, but missions themselves) didn't change! At all! Sure they added a few new units for each race... but honestly? They could do it in less than a decade. Too little, too late and too expensive (but free is a price I'm willing to pay for it.)

Have to agree 100%, the Single player Campaign was fairly good, and the CGI was amazing and have to give props to Blizzard for that, but that's where the pro's end. The game literally felt like SC with a few slight upgrades, even the models and textures were nothing to brag about, it just seemed half-assed to me
*shrugs* but it wont stop many from proclaiming it's awesomeness to the world, to each their own :D
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

I'll buy it...a few years later, when it's at a reasonable price.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'll buy it...a few years later, when it's at a reasonable price.

Create an account on battle.net
You can download the game from there and play single-player campaign in offline mode as much as you please.
7th edition army book:

Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

valnir wrote:The game literally felt like SC with a few slight upgrades...

And that is exactly the game I wanted. Yay! :D

Seriously, pretty much every RTS since Dune 2 is basically the same game with just some slight alterations. ;)

What I really like about SC2 are the small, subtle changes in gameplay, which make everything play together so much better (and that is hard, considering how well-polished SC1 already was).

I also really like the way they set up the campaign with all the relevant choices to make between missions. And the missions themselves are quite varied, too.

Ok, can't say what took them that long in the development, probably because they spent much on their resources on other projects (esp. WoW).

Bye
Thanee
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Keep in mind that the thing that makes Starcraft amazing is not the graphics, but the balance of the game. Its not like chess where you have the same units with different skins. The evened it out between three different races with different playstyles.

I liked the campaign, the story and animation are top notch blizzard-quality.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Yup, I completed it last week. It's a very good game and the plot/cinematics are done very well.

As for it being just like the original...that's ideal. There was nothing much they actually needed to change - there wasn't much wrong with the play style of Starcraft. I just hope that there won't be too long between instalments, I've heard it could be up to 18 months until Heart of the Swarm.

GPG changed the fundamentals of Supreme Commander in SupCom 2 and it wrecked the game. Blizzard had nailed down the 'traditional' RTS very well, so changing it would have been a mistake.

Total War, DoW and DoWII are the places to look for RTSs in a different mould.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I'm especially happy, that they did not make the same as with WarCraft III. Those heroes totally ruined the game for me. I didn't like it at all. The importance of heroes in SC is exactly right (some presence in singleplayer, but not too much, during the missions, that is, and no presense at all in multiplayer), at least for my taste. :)

Bye
Thanee
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Unfortunately Blizzard and Innovation don't go together at all.

They love microwave reheated pizzas.
7th edition army book:

Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

^^^^
There's a reason the old joke is "If GW ever go out of business Blizzard are screwed!"

Thanee wrote:Seriously, pretty much every bad RTS since Dune 2 is basically the same game with just some slight alterations. ;)
Fixed it for you. Some of them have sucked less than others though.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Been a huge fan, but I'm holding off for now. Warhammer 8th completely smashed this idea, and I'm very glad because it got me hanging out with friends, you know.. IRL again. :P

That said, SC2 looks amazing. :)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Arquinsiel wrote:There's a reason the old joke is "If GW ever go out of business Blizzard are screwed!"

Huh? How so?

It's not like there is a whole lot taken from WH40K in SC (or WHFB in WC for that matter). Marines, Zerg to a small degree (more Aliens than Tyranids). That's about it?

I guess I just don't get it. :)

And yeah, Blizzard isn't about innovation. Blizzard is about perfectionism.

There's a reason, that every game they make is a mega smash hit.

Bye
Thanee
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

It's ancient history from the foundation of Warcraft, with later stuff like some of the art assets from WC3 being almost literal scans of pages of GW books.

Not that GW is much better really.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Well, how can I express my feelings about SC2...
Nope, can't think of a single thing to say. Sorry. But to make up for it, I do have this photo of me you can see. http://i27.tinypic.com/2vk19vp.jpg
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Belial: Good...good...

*Backs away slowly*

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

^^

But I really do love the game. Sadly, I don't have much time for games right now, but what time I do have, I have dedicated to Starcraft II. I actually run weekly tournaments and a league over at a danish gamingsite called Gamereactor. I don't know... I usually don't bother with multiplayer in strategy games, but SCII just has me by the balls.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Man, some morons playing this game. I was playing co-op vs. 2 hard A.I. Zerg comps, my ally runs ahead while I'm still building my forces and I follow with about a dozen Marines and a Tank, all I have at that time. As I notice my ally being beaten, I run back to base, the idiot says 'FIGHT', I say: 'not yet', and he proceeds to leave the game. What the deuce?

I won the game all the same, but goddamn.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

You are never really safe from those kinda guys. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

It's why I never play co-op, even with friends ;)

I quite liked SC, so I was really excited about SC2 uhh...ten years ago. Now it's just "oh SC2 is out? (shrugs) meh". They took waaaay too long, and now that I've played it at cafes with mates, there really wasn't much to be excited about. Sharper graphics, I'll admit it looks decent, the details they placed in, but that's about all. New units is something you see all the time, so don't care.

The only unit I'll have a QQ over are the second Protoss air unit, can't remember their name, the ones that shoot a laser beam at a target and the damage scales up the longer it gets shot. I'll just quit if someone mass rushed those at early game. I swear they need to scale down their damage, or else make them squishier.

That's the other issue I have with SC2, whoever massed the bigger hard hitting army generally wins, provided they can attack their foe.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Most people who are playing competitively are rather complaining about Marines being too awesome. ;)

Those Void Rays are rather expensive, you cannot really mass them early.

Bye
Thanee
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Even so, a few of them can take out your anti air quite easily. Their damage output is just ridiculous.

Marines always had been awsome when mass produced, now that you can pump them out twice as fast is just plain godlike :D

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Meteor wrote:Even so, a few of them can take out your anti air quite easily. Their damage output is just ridiculous.

Marines always had been awsome when mass produced, now that you can pump them out twice as fast is just plain godlike :D

Everything has it's counter. A huge part of the Stacraft games is scouting. You need to know what your oponent is doing. So that protoss player has 3 Stargates? Time to pump out marines/hydralisks/stalkers. All relatively cheap, and in massed numbers, boy do they wipe the floor with those Void Rays. And that's just the cheaper choices. Mutalisks and Archon's will take them down very easily too, just as Vikings will.

Void Rays are not overpowered. You just need to know how to counter them. As it is with all units.

EDIT: Oh, and marines are good, but also easily countered. Siege Tanks, Ultralisks, Banelings and the real OMGWTFBBQ killer: Collosi.
Against those unigs, marines don't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

Know what your opponent is doing, and know your counters. It cannot be stressed enough.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

It's all true when you can properly prepare counters for void rays. Once they win though, you can't stop them even if there's just two of them left unless you've got like....five ports pumping a viking out each or three barracks pumping double marines out. Then again you're generally screwed if you lose your army, especially in your own base :roll:

Ultralisks are the bomb. My friend is a newb to RTS and SC2 in general. He played zerg so I told him to do nothing but rush and mass Ultralisks. We left him alone then I laughed when he trampled us all down with twelve ultralisks. Then again, there were no void rays or archons shooting them, don't think much else can stop them aside from those.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Carriers FTW, supported by Void Rays just in case.

Carriers take far too much micro management to be dealt with quickly. If you don't pay attention your units will keep firing at the iterceptors *yawn*
7th edition army book: