Warhammer Online

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Silic
Noble

Warhammer Online

Post by Silic »

I was looking for a new avatar and found myself back on the Warhammer Online website (the MMO from EA games). I remember playing the game when it was released and having a lot of fun... I'm not really sure why I ended up dropping the game. I do see they are still putting out new patches pretty consistently... So does anybody still play?
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I picked it up again some time ago, but ended up dropping it again. I love the world and the gameplay, but it couldn't keep my paying the monthly fee. There's simply too many other games out there for me to properly enjoy an MMO, especially when some of those other games are also time consumers (League of Legends being my particular time waster these days).

Also, moved this to video games.
Slyde
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Slyde »

I agree with Belial. I used to play it regularly and I tried getting back into it. I loved the world and being able to see historical sites in the Warhammer world a little more "in person". My problem was I just didn't have the time to give it when I have armies to build and paint, a job, and other hobbies that get neglected enough as it is.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

I remember a few months back they had one of those 'account reactivation' periods to advertise the new Skaven patch, which gave you 14 days for free. I played a pretty decent amount during that time, enjoying the game, certainly, but when my period was over I didn't subscribe... Again I'm not sure why, as I did have fun (and what I would expect to be $15 a month worth of fun). They do have the unlimited free trial, which is great, but as someone who has those higher level characters, I would want to have access to all the content. *Shrugs* Maybe one day I'll indulge a bit and play for another month.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

I dug up my account information and signed into the Warhammer Online website, and found out I had another 14-day free play to spend. So I activated it and began leveling a Black Guard today. Very cool stuff (and once again, the environments of WarhammerOline are amazing).
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

No, my 40 Sorc is collecting dust. Game died for me, though I agree with it's cool to see all the sites up close and personal. It needs a lot of work and it seemed rushed by EA to get it out.

With a wife and son, I hardly have time for MMOs anymore. I'm even dumping a bunch of miniature games I used to play like Warmachine, Infinity, Heldorado, Firestorm Armada and my Warhammer Empire. From now on, it's just Dark Elves, Dark Eldar, and Malifaux. Oh and I'm keeping Warhammer Invasion, I've been enjoýing it.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Yes, I played from the Closed Beta and agree the game was rushed. I think it was World of Warcraft's first (2nd?) expansion they were trying to beat. The Black Guard class wasn't even included in release, not to mention the capital cities of 4 of the races (which I don't think ever made it into the game).
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Continuing my one-man crusade...

I've recently learned that Warhammer Online has been slowly growing once more, since the fanatacism for WoW's most recent expansion has died down.

Check out the Unlimited Free Trial!
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

I run an RP guild on Badlands, but the scene is very quiet right now. Due to personal circumstances I find it difficult to be online for more than an hour a day at the moment.

The game is great fun, but yes, very disappointing all of cities didn't make it to release. There is another patch coming up which sees the return of fortresses among other things. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I bought the collectors edition when it came out, but then I found out my computer couldn't run it, so I never got to play

I just got a new PC this month, and I started playing the Star Wars MMO, if I had time I would put in the warhammer game and try it, but I am worried the servers are dead empty...

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Servers are not dead empty, You can play the game for free until level 10 (so Tier 1) to get a feel of it.

I still think WAR is a good MMO. But it has a flaw that pushes away gamers with plenty of time.

It's very casual for an MMO. It's designed so you can hop on for an hour and have lots of fun, but if you stay on for too long, it's just the same thing repeatedly. Sadly last time I played there was little reason to hold onto a fort once it was claimed... so the term Musical Forts has been coined.

I've read since BioWare took control of Mythic they changed quite a bit, but you don't see much of it in Tier 1 (the free to play part), and as a casual game, I can't justify spending $15 monthly. I'm already paying for SWToR :P

If BioWare came up with some sort of a bundle plan for SW:ToR/WAR/DAoC/UO for a reduced fee (say $20-$25 for all games, or $20 for two of the 4) I would definitely go back to WAR.

Because at the end of the day, I remember it being FUN.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Dalamar wrote:
It's very casual for an MMO. It's designed so you can hop on for an hour and have lots of fun, but if you stay on for too long, it's just the same

That sounds perfect for me, 2 jobs and a baby makes gaming hard, its a good day if I can get more then 2 hours of gaming in, if any at all.

Maybe I'll check it out once I finish my first SWToR character. I mean... I already paid for the collectors edition, and all it collects is dust.

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Mhm Kefka, that's precisely what happened with me... had a little 'un 4 months ago, so gaming can't be a priority right now.

Yes Dalamar, it can get boring if you are only interested in the RVR (PVP). Once you reach renown rank 80, the going gets really slow. My renown only goes up about 2% per zone lock these days. That being said, the PVE is really good and I do enjoy hunting down those tome unlocks.
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Norelle
Executioner

Post by Norelle »

Never played it, was hoping it would become free to play. I can't afford any pay-to-play games. I don't like how Malekith looks in the game however, not very threatening, I guess. And Morathi looks nothing like I picture her. Far too clothed for one thing.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'm not *only* interested in PvP, but the game was advertised as such, and it is its main theme. After all WAR is everywhere.

After all, PvE and hunting tome unlocks can be fun, but again, $15 for some exploration is a commodity I can't afford. SWToR has it too :P

I don't like how Malekith looks in the game however, not very threatening, I guess. And Morathi looks nothing like I picture her. Far too clothed for one thing.

I disagree about Malekith, he looks Melkithy enough, though the Destroyer could be a bit bigger than a longsword. I always pictured it as a greatsword he can wield in one hand.

As for Morathi, yes, she looks totally different... it's also a T game... as we know bloody violence = good, nipslip = bad *rolls eyes*
7th edition army book:

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I played for a while until my old laptop was nicked :( I did enjoy it but only player solo on a free account, I think it would be a lot more fun with a few more people - which back in Oct when I was gaming, there were a few - enough to form parties and such but sadly I could not continue without a half decent laptop (the thing I'm using now is a tiny netbook until I have enough money spare to get a new one!)

We should try and form some sort of druchii.net guild? I hear they're bringing out a new 'expansion'/side game which is hoping to draw new people in, but I think the general consensus was that the damage was dealt at the very start with too many bugs and faulty gameplay.

Though I hear on good word that all those problems are gone now, but sadly so too are the players: am gutted to hear that really :(
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Grr, yes Morathi looks terrible. And I am not sure why both she AND Malekith are in the Eternal Citadel with those lesser warlords. I would have thought one of them would ne in battle in Ulthuan, or keeping an eye on things back home. :P

The side game is out; it's called Wrath of Heroes and is free to play. It is basically a scenario battle game, but you don't get to build up your characters in the same manner as Age of Reckoning.

A druchii.net guild would be fun... but I don't think I could abandon mine. I have been fighting to keep RP alive since they closed the last RP server. I would gladly join up with you though for scenarios, RVR, PQs, etc. :)

Mod, Group 38
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

I'm down with a D.net guild, I just need toinstall the game.
Not sure how well it will work, what with time zone differences... I am in canada and I assume most of you guys are across the pond.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Wrath of Heroes is fun for 5-10 minutes... then it gets boring.

I suppose it would be fun to people who enjoy playing shooters since the premise is basically the same, except you play in 3rd person view.
7th edition army book:

Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Trying to breath life into Drukh Sarokhael at the moment. If anyone's interested, we're on the Badlands server. Initially we were a Druchii guild (RP themed) but now accept Chaos and Greenskins. As the game is RVR heavy at the moment, we don't expect members to log in at a set time for events, but are more casual. As long as people tolerate and participate in RP in the /say channel with other guildies, they're welcome.

Mod, Group 38
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If the game went free to play, I would be playing it again, it's worth it to jump in every day for an hour or two.

But I can't even justify paying $15 for an amazing MMO right now when so many great titles went the way of micro transactions.
7th edition army book:

Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Gave up on the Badlands guild and have transferred to the Karak Norn server, where there is renewed interest in RP.

The game is free to play for an unlimited amount of time, albeit with restrictions. You can only play in Tier 1 (out of 4) and your limit is level 16 I think.

If anyone does have a go on Karak Norn, look out for Ulrothar, my Khainite ;)

Mod, Group 38