PS4 vs. X1!

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

PS4 vs. X1!

Post by Omnichron »

The new console war has started and some already claims PS4 the victor after some really bad marketing and presentations from Microsofts part, but what do you think of these new consoles coming up (without jumping on the hate train :lol: ).

Personally I am not that negative to X1 as I'm always online where I have my PC/Xbox, want my games to be digital downloads and both systems will run just about the same games (Except of the exclusive titles) with very few differences in graphics. So, the question becomes more about exclusives and I like the idea of having just one multimedia box in my living room than plenty.

Still, I am sitting on the fence on this one and haven't decided. Sony hasn't exactly been clear on how they will do things. I mean, saying that PS4 won't have DRM is one thing, but can you copy your digital downloads to friends? Share them with them without restrictions? I don't think the game developers/digital retailers want that... and then I think it's better with a DRM that is almost invisible, a solution that is integrated and even helps the costumer, not being a hindrance (Like some DRM systems are today).

Anyways, future will tell. Thus far I feel like there's lots of complaints that is quite overdone against X1, while PS4 gets away with questions because they say what a lot of gamers want to hear. I am personally thinking PS4 because it seems it can give me what I want and costs less than X1 (And I don't need/want kinect either), but I'll still wait and see.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
van Awful
Highborn

Re: PS4 vs. X1!

Post by van Awful »

. I am personally thinking PS4 because it seems it can give me what I want and costs less than X1 (And I don't need/want kinect either), but I'll still wait and see.

This,

I've got the 360 (and the first xbox.)Both died in the end but had good fun with them. As i look to (ps1) ps2 or ps3 owners, mostly their machines still work. As do my old sega consoles. So its not just me :)
I'm not really big on online gaming as it is, and i dont really see this happening in the future!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Truth be told, the only reason I chose the PS3 over the X360 was because the PS3 was blu-ray. Yes, that really was the deciding factor. For reasons of full disclosure, I should point out that I also have a PS1, PS2, PSP and Vita, so I'm probably an accidental Sony fanboy !lol!

I'll be reserving judgement on the next gen consoles until I see them for myself.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I got into this current generation really late as A: Hardly used the Wii and when I did it was the Wii Fit, and B. Got the 360 last Christmas.

I would have probably done the same here, but I think PS4 adn Xbox1 are fighting over a castle that the dragon set fire too, and is just waiting for them to get done slow roasting.

For a less metaphorical answer, I really don't have much faith in this next generation of gaming. As much as I love video games...Sony and Microsoft forgot that in a gaming market you are supposed to serve the gamers, not see them as both adversaries and people and yet also people blindly loyal to them.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Bad news (Or good for some I guess). Microsoft decided not to go with their initial ideas: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

I actually think that Microsoft took a vision for the not-so-distant future and decided to go for it with a digital system and library that would be breathtaking when it's was completed... changing the old fashioned retailer ways. However, the gamer communities generally only see restrictions and have decided to go mental about it, and now they pull back to the old ways of doing things (which means I might just as well stick to my gaming laptop).

I've yet to really get the details from Sony about their solutions, because their presentation about their consoles was more "We won't do the bad stuff that Xbox 1 has" than "This is what we'll give you". Hopefully they've got the details fleshed out about PS4, but I'm pretty sure that the "Do what you want with your product" isn't as open an free as initially presented.

What Microsoft says now, compared to what I really loved about the vision of Xbox One, is that things will be as it was... Hopefully that means they'll flesh out and upgrade the digital sales to become that original vision. If they don't, I don't feel that tempted about buying that console at the very least.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Persuader
Executioner

Post by Persuader »

I'm also pretty Sony minded.
Love the MGS series. And I really like the Playstation controller.
I've had he PSX, PS2 & PS3 so I'll probably go for the PS4.

The only reason for me to buy a Xbox1 would be if it is so much better as a 'multimedia' device.
I use my PS3 (nowadays) mostly to watch downloaded content from the internet on my TV.
Youtube Battle Reports, youtube music video's, ...

But I have no idea which one is better at that.