Good GW Games

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

stuaker
Warrior

Good GW Games

Post by stuaker »

I remember playing Dawn of War years back (I really don't remember anything about it other than enjoying it). Are there any good GW games out there, and any fantasy ones amongst those? Thanks!
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: Good GW Games

Post by Dalamar »

Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat are two amazing Warhammer fantasy games if you can get over the graphics. They're from the 90s?

Mark of Chaos is another warhammer game with better graphics but rather simple gameplay, still it's fun.

Then there's Dawn of War I and II, both excellent games and Fire Warrior, a glitchy first person shooter when you get to be a Tau Fire Warrior.

There used to be MMO, Warhammer Online, but GW pulled the licensing rights and it's shutting down in December, they don't allow new account creation anymore.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
stuaker
Warrior

Post by stuaker »

I can get over old graphics if the gameplay is good, my girlfriend is more into video games than I am and is just getting into warhammer with a slaanesh daemons army, so I was hoping there'd be something she could play on the side. She's less likely to get over old graphics/gameplay, so it's a shame there haven't been many recent fantasy games. Still, I'll try some of these out anyway. Thanks!
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

SotHR had a very steep learning curve IIRC. I had it on the PS1 and I don't think I ever managed to get very far.

Mark of Chaos was a poor Total War clone. Bad story and terrible gameplay. Don't bother with it. If you're really after that sort of game, find the warhammer mod for M:TW2 (there should be a post about it somewhere on this forum).

DoW1 was fun, and I say that from the perspective of someone who usually hates RTS clicky-fests. DoW2 was a disappointment - the graphics were much better but it devolved into more of an RPG RTS than a wargame RTS which I personally didn't much care for. Fire Warrior was OK as far as FPSs go.

Never played Warhammer Online (or any other MMO for that matter).

There's also Blood Bowl (available on Steam I believe). The AI is atrocious and single-player campaigns and "story mode" are terrible but it's a good simulation of the board game if you play multiplayer.

Space Marine is a 3rd person button-mashing shoot-em-up which is OK for some relaxing mindless violence but not much else. I never played it multiplayer.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Of those mentioned above I would endorse DOW II and Warhammer 40K Space Marine as the best, at least of those that I have played. There is also a Space Hulk game which by all accounts is just a computerised version of the board game and mostly aimed at nostalgia hunters. Nothing official for Fantasy comes to mind other than what has already been mentioned.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Played SotHR a little bit on Playstation when it came out, it was alright so was Dark Omen. I did like Chaos Gate a lot too, because I'm a fan of Xcom/Crusader:No Remorse and Shadowrun.

I recently bought Soulstorm, not only because I really enjoyed playing it but there is a mod called DoWpro and it makes the game super amazing. I was about to also buy a game called Total War for the sole purpose of using a mod called Rage of Dark Gods - it makes the game a Warhammer Fantasy game. Didn't end up buying it (yet) but still thinking about it.

I did buy Mark of Chaos many years ago, finally played it a few times over the last year or two. It's not too bad, they could have done so much better though. Story was kinda cool, a bit involving (at least that was my experience because I was super excited to play a Warhammer video game) but overall it was a bit clunky for its genre. Still considering picking up the expansion Battle March, out of a sense of completeness - and of course, to play Dark Elves.

I loved Warhammer Online.. but it couldn't compare to WoW in terms of polish, and it was so riddled with bugs and horrible lag I had to stop playing. That made me really sad to see that it was being shut down. Wish they'd just put out a patch to make it have a single player option (boring, I know but still). I remember they were supposed to make some sort of spin off Arena-like game from it.

I may still try out Blood Bowl, watched a few videos and it seems neat. Space Marine also looked very interesting to me as well, and I'll probably try out the new Space Hulk too for the hell of it.

Really looking forward to Eternal Crusade though.. that will be interesting to play a 40k MMO.
stuaker
Warrior

Post by stuaker »

I'll have to look into modded games... a lot of them sound quite cool. Surprised there isn't a starcraft 40k mod, seeing how similar some aspects of the troops are anyway.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Oh yes Chaos Gate! I forgot about that one. I quite enjoyed it at the time.

Also Final Liberation for players of Epic, I had fun with it.

And the original Space Hulk (and Vengeance of the Blood Angels) from way back in the mid '90s. I couldn't even get past the tutorial missions :killed:

Apparently there's a Talisman game coming out soon. Lemme see if I can find a linky... http://store.steampowered.com/app/247000/ Apparently it's already out.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Warhammer Online was great! I played for a year, maybe year and a half. So many people tried it and then just quit, but I loved it. Most fun I've ever had playing a game.
Aurelius
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aurelius »

The silly thing with the new Space Hulk is that you can continue to 'undo' your attacks to essentially give you re-rolls. I've played most of the games mentioned and enjoyed them, despite not sticking with Warhammer Online: AoR very long after release.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Don't forget Warhammer Quest on the iPad, great game actually. :)
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

One other person has already said it, but I will echo - Blood Bowl is great if you do Multiplayer.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Lesebyst
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lesebyst »

Medieval Total War II Kingdoms has a huge mod for it called Rage of Dark Gods - Battle for the Empire. It's insanely good! Version 1.6 will be out soon.

Blood Bowl is great apart from a ridiculously easy single player, but I wasn't impressed with Space Hulk. It plays just like the board game but I'd forgotten just how simplistic Space Hulk actually was. Add in beer and friends and it would be good, but as a computer game I was bored after the first mission.
Enslave all the races!!!
My Budget Druchii Army Blog
stuaker
Warrior

Post by stuaker »

Lesebyst wrote:Medieval Total War II Kingdoms has a huge mod for it called Rage of Dark Gods - Battle for the Empire. It's insanely good! Version 1.6 will be out soon.

Blood Bowl is great apart from a ridiculously easy single player, but I wasn't impressed with Space Hulk. It plays just like the board game but I'd forgotten just how simplistic Space Hulk actually was. Add in beer and friends and it would be good, but as a computer game I was bored after the first mission.

That looks great!