Age of Empires 2 new expansion

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nostromo
Cold One Knight

Age of Empires 2 new expansion

Post by Nostromo »

Age of Empires 2 and its expansion was one of my favourite games back in the day and I have many fond memories

For a 13 year old title it holds up surprisingly well. Imagine my surprise to see that it has a new expansion after such a long time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Emp ... _Forgotten
!

New campaigns, new civilisations and a lifting of the population cap to 500 means that this old title is definitely getting a second run through from me.

This thread should also be used to look fondly back into the mists of time and remember any good memories or stories from old games you had. I imagine there'll be more than a few of you with a fondness for this old game! I'll definitely be giving the expansion a go and playing some grudge matches with some of my buddies for posterity!
stuaker
Warrior

Re: Age of Empires 2 new expansion

Post by stuaker »

That's cool. Not often you get a game that old getting an expansion... man I'd love some of the old games I still play to get some.
I don't know if I'll end up playing this, I'm tempted, but I don't get much time to play video games anyway.

Not surprised there's a market for it though. I work as an RA (residential advisor, basically an older student who works/lives at the student halls of residence run by a university) and see groups of residents playing Age of Empires 2 fairly often. Probably the game I've seen played most on the PC this year, actually. FIFA and GTA5 on the consoles definitely had it beat though, but that's hardly surprising.
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I might be tempted if they did a package deal with the HD version of the original as well, and at a bigger discount. But I think the game won't have aged well, especially the asinine AI (as in: if a scout passes by your army and then rides off, prepare to have your entire army strung out across the map vainly running after said scout).
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Wow,I played that when it released. When was that? 1999? That's a super longtime!
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Me too, I got the game for Christmas. I was 14 at the time. Oh God I'm old now.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Nostromo
Cold One Knight

Post by Nostromo »

According to the developers the AI has been revamped, as has the unit pathfinding abilities. Pop cap has also actually been raised to 1000 - makes for some pretty epic multiplayer matches, especially with the bigger sized maps.