Hello, thanks for having me.

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

uklvrbm
Trainee Warrior

Hello, thanks for having me.

Post by uklvrbm »

I'm new to dark elves, but been playing wood elves for years. I just got my brother into the hobby and he fell in love with high elves. I figured I might as well get into dark elves so we can complete the group.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from the forum. I've picked up a hydra and a bunch of core models. I only play with friends, so I can use my wood elf models as proxies until I get a proper army.

Thanks
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Hello, thanks for having me.

Post by Amboadine »

Hello and welcome to the forum, as all true elves know Malekith is the rightful King and you are right in your decision to join him :)
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

This is definitely the right place to learn. Plenty to absorb, and of course if there's a question you don't see an answer to, there are tons of people here who will give it their best shot.

And yeah, everybody knows we're the coolest elves. Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
uklvrbm
Trainee Warrior

Post by uklvrbm »

Yeah, it will be nice to have some combat punch for a change. I can't wait to try out my hydra on some things. So far I think I have the following:

1 hydra
11 witch elves
10 executioners
24 spearmen
22 crossbows
5 corsairs
3 sorcerers
1 assassin

What should be my next immediate purchase? I was thinking some pegasus riders. Please let me know your thoughts.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

3 sorcerers = 1 too many, except when playing Storm of Magic or End Time magic rules. A Lvl4 and 1 or 2 Lvl2 will be nice, unless you take Warlocks (which replace Lvl2).
1 assassin = remotely useful - but nice to place on the table in order to let your opponent suspect he is hidden somewhere.
11 witch elves = nice, with musician.
10 executioners = too small, should increase to 20.
24 spearmen = too small, should increase to 30-35.
22 crossbows = nice, can be made either as two units, muso, or a single unit, full command & shields
5 corsairs = cannot be played, need to increase to 10 to be legal. Unless you play them as shades? 10 corsairs, handbow, muso are fun. 20 corsairs, FC are good.
1 hydra = excellent. Buy the breath weapon, not the shooting.

What should be my next immediate purchase?
You have only infantry. Rather than complementing your units as suggested above, I suggest you made a more balanced army:

You need to complement them with agile troops, suggestion is to take 1 unit per 500 pts of whole army:
- Pegasus masters: outstanding with magic equipment
- Dark riders: outstanding, always with shields, always with muso, minimum size is best. RXB can be useful.
- Shades: one of the best scouting unit that exists. No command, no armor. GW or AHW are great to have.
- harpies: very mobile, but do not count on them to kill anything.
- Warlocks: our best unit by far.

Also, hammers would be great. Take 1 or 2 unit per 1000 pts.
- COK, in "vanilla" setting, musician only, are great. Later, you can upgrade the unit to 10.
- COC complement well infantry.
- a 2nd hydra or a K-beast are nice.
- a dragonlord, maybe?

Finally, unit upgrades as CoB or BwS make great complement to infantry.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Calisson is right on, as usual. Get cavalry and pegasi. I'd buy several boxes of dark riders, and if you are comfortable with the concept of using magnets, you can convert them from dark riders and warlocks and vice/versa. There are some topics on that subject in the Painting/Modeling section to give guidance on that.

GW doesn't currently sell a dark pegasus model, except the mounted Morathi. However, conversion opportunities abound, as well as eBay. Again, the Painting/Modeling section will give plenty of inspiration if you are so inclined.

He's also right about (for now at least) using those corsairs as shades. If you get more corsairs, you can certainly use them that way as well. But with 5, making them shades makes sense. Shades are an excellent unit, and it's better than having 5 guys sitting around that you can't use at all :)

In short, if I were in your shoes, my next run to the game store would be for a few boxes of our light cavalry, to make into dark riders and warlocks.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

direweasel wrote:Calisson is right on, as usual.
May I quote you to my wife? :lol:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Calisson wrote:
direweasel wrote:Calisson is right on, as usual.
May I quote you to my wife? :lol:

I accept checks, paypal, and (especially) miniatures. :)

uklvrbm
Trainee Warrior

Post by uklvrbm »

Thanks direweasel and Calisson for the advice. I picked up the models I have off Ebay in a large lot, so that's how I ended up with 5 corsairs. I guess I should also say that I only really play with friends; in a small gaming group. So I can proxy anything I want with my wood elf models.

I guess then I need to figure out which models I can't live without. The warlocks look pretty sweet and despite already owning two dragons, I really like that dreadlord model. :)