Of the Ruins

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Harbanatim
Slave (off the Altar)

Of the Ruins

Post by Harbanatim »

Greetings!

Long time player way back from 5th edition, recently getting back into Warhammer after about three years of being out. Started off playing Skaven, then Beastmen and Vampire Counts. A high school friend got into the game the same time I did, and his first army was Dark Elves, and for a long time I didn't pick them up because my artillery needs were being met by Jezzails, Doomwheels, and all other manner of Skaven inventiveness. Skaven started loosing their flair with me, so I tired more combat oriented armies, but while I enjoyed their respective flavors, I never really felt in my element with them.

Last year I finally decided to pick up the Dark Elf army book and a box of Darkshards. It was that or the Empire, or the Dwarves (with their respective crossbow infantry box). I love crossbows, and own a Barnett Penetrator; I find the combination of the rifle stock and quiet string action suits my needs. The Empire and Dwarves have decent crossbows, but I've never liked cannon artillery. The Dark Elf Darkshards, with the Reaper Bolt Thrower, and crossbow friendly character options, made the Dark Elves my first pick.

Now, I've always been a theme army guy, and this army is no exception, but I'm not sure how I want to theme it beyond crossbows and bolt throwers. One idea that's stuck with me is having the army be the garrison of a secluded Khainite shrine in the Blackspine Mountains.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Of the Ruins

Post by Amboadine »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have a look through the painting and modelling forum for some great theme ideas.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Sounds like a very atmospheric theme.

Looking forward to more :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Harbanatim
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Harbanatim »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been working on that army theme, and I think I want to make it more specific to an hidden assassin training facility (still retaining the shrine to Khaine, of course!).

For the location name I'm thinking either Har Arha (Shadow/Grey Home) or Har Than (Subtle Home).
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Both excellent names. Har Than in particular is subtly subtle 8) 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Some great ideas and welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your work in painting and modeling