More of a re-introduction really...

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

More of a re-introduction really...

Post by Shadowspite »

Looking around, it seems like most of the big names I remember are no longer here (or at least haven't posted in years), so I'm not sure whether anyone will actually remember me.

Anyway, here goes. I have been away for over a decade, both from Druchii.net and from the hobby. I went off to train as a biology teacher and just plain didn't have the time to devote to painting and gaming any more. Plus, my stint as head of the Cult of Pleasure (the fluff-writing arm of D.net's online magazine - does that still exist?) had left me with what can best be described as major burn-out. A certain CoP member (who turned out to be a religious fundamentalist with mental issues) hacking/deleting several months' collective work did not help my enthusiasm (luckily most of it had been backed up offline, but it was still a major pain in the posterior). I ended up handing the CoP off to Darkprincess (is she still around?) and went into self-imposed exile.

Since then, my gaming has been strictly confined to RPGs (4th edition D&D, then more recently 13th Age).

There were two things stopping me from going back to WFB. Firstly, I was never really a fan of moving huge blocks of troops around. Skirmish-level games have always appealed more to me than mass battles. I wan't a fan of having to buy, assemble and paint something in the region of 30 models to make a single unit. Secondly, I was really kinda sick of the WFB setting. Don't get me wrong, I have always loved the elven (especially druchii) and chaos fluff. But the endless parade of (IMO) facile and occasionally vaguely racist stereotyped fantasy counterpart cultures were always a bit of a turn-off. I have no problem with those people that like Empire, Bretonnians, Lizardmen, etc. But they're just not for me.

So, roll on 2015. The world ends and there's this new game called Age of Sigmar. It seems at first glance like it's a sort of hybrid of mass battle and skirmish stuff. Something like 40K in terms of expected number of models per side. And there's a whole new setting based on turning the eight winds/colours/lores/colleges of magic into separate worlds. So we're presumably no longer stuck with humans all being either citizens of the Holy Roman Empire with wizards, Renaissance Italian mercenaries or extras from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Lizardmen maybe won't be lumbered with silly names like Xoccibicci and Inxiwinxi any more. And my beloved dark elves presumably no longer have to all be subjects of Malekith (six millennia of abject failures is enough!). Eight worlds (well, seven plus Sigmar's fluffy-cloud heaven full of NOTspacemarines) seems like plenty of room to come up with new stories and unique characters and cultures.

I have some misgivings, but... well, that looks mighty interesting. So I'm back. You can blame Sigmar.

Now, excuse me while I check which (if any) of my paints are still usable and order a box of ridiculously expensive but irresistably cool-looking plastic witch elves...
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: More of a re-introduction really...

Post by cultofkhaine »

Welcome back! I wish we still had access to those magazines there was some good material in them - would be good to see something like that on the forum again! It will be interesting to see what comes with the new exiles if its anything like that new releases they should be great!

I look forward to seeing your work in P&M some time :D
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Welcome back! Talking about those monthlies... pheeew! That takes me back some years. I still remember printing them out so I could read them on the train.
That's like a previous age man... A time before the social media ;)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Respect to one of the authors of this: http://druchii.net/initiatives/monthly/

From long gone times, you might still see the shadows of Rork and Dalamar.
All others seems to have quit but several occasionally lurk back here.

No need to comment on AoS, you seem to be well updated on it.
You probably have downloaded the Dark Elves warscroll from GW website, that should tell you which of your old units are playable (presumably all of them).

Online RPG, unfortunately the last ongoing one had gone asleep this summer.

Overall, welcome back.
D.net is only the shadow of what it once was, with many WH afficionado gone with disgust, AoS not having brought yet many new players and WH 9th Age not yet stabilized. Plenty of room for new enthusiasm.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

"I don't know half of you half as well as I would like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

D.net doesn't look too different from when I left. More purple, more runes and less artwork. I heartily approve of the purple. Both the Drukh-Eltharin rune font and the B&W artwork that used to be in the site banner were my work originally, so I have no real preference either way. ;)

The biggest change seems to be all the new faces, as well as the absence of older ones. And the place does seem quieter. I remember it used to be pretty hard to keep track of all the new threads. Has GW really pissed so many people off over the years? Was it just the inevitable edition changes, or something else?

What happened to Kitrik? IIRC, he was thinking of stepping down just before I left, but decided to stay on a bit longer. But obviously he's gone since? I knew him back before Druchii.net was Druchii.net (i.e. when it was still just a free bulletin board with severe traffic limits) and never really did say a proper goodbye.

Arcturus? Darkprincess? DarkAlliance? Linda? Kala? Doctor Langmann? Nagathi?

I do remember Rork and Dalamar. And you seem familiar, Daeron. I'm sure I remember a Cultofkhaine too, but it can't have been you since your join date is 2008. Unless you left and came back with a new account but the same name?

I think my first task might be to write some fiction around the destruction of Naggaroth and how the Druchii escaped into the AoS setting. Going to need to find out about all the lore changes first, though. Sisters of Slaughter, Medusas and Warlocks are all completely new to me. And it seems (I've not seen them 'in the flesh' yet) that the new DE warrior models are all male, now? I don't like that, but I'm guessing (or maybe just hoping) that's just the models and not an official fluff change.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Cultofkhaine too, but it can't have been you since your join date is 2008. Unless you left and came back with a new account

nope that was my join date -could have been someone else with a similar name or me in another time line
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

the place does seem quieter. I remember it used to be pretty hard to keep track of all the new threads. Has GW really pissed so many people off over the years? Was it just the inevitable edition changes, or something else?
=> D.net has slowly decreased during that years like many fan forums, just because this form of communication competes against other medias (facebook, anyone?).
=> The End Times and much more GW killing 8th and replacing by AoS did cause a sudden drop. We hope that the most likely Aelfes from AoS will recreate some interest in the forum.

What happened to Kitrik? => Once every decade.
Arcturus? Darkprincess? => unheard of.
DarkAlliance? => Stepped down suddenly to work for a new company Maelstrom, which turned out to be a disaster. Very silent the last 5 years.
Linda? => She quit a very long time ago (closing 10 years) and never came back ever.
Kala? => Not familiar.
Doctor Langmann? => He has been very remotely active, but kept involved in the last years, including when we moved to the present site. If you PMed him, I guess he would reply.
Nagathi? => I understand there has been a clash against other webmaster and he never came back, even before I became active.

I do remember Rork and Dalamar.
And you seem familiar, Daeron.
=> Nope, he joined much later.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hey... I had an active period in 6th ;) but I was a regular member back then.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Oh, sorry Daeron, I missed that part. I only joined when 7th was approaching from over the horizon.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Hehehe, Shadowspite definitely rings a bell with me. Saw this thread and thought, dang, that name sounds familiar... Must've seen your name around here when I first arrived ten years ago! Welcome home again! \o/

Shadowspite wrote:Arcturus? Darkprincess? DarkAlliance? Linda? Kala? Doctor Langmann? Nagathi?

I recall Darkprincess popping in sporadically. The Good Doctor passed most of the websy duties over to Daeron and Rork, who then helped us migrate to the new forum software (and servers?) you see here. Nagathi is running Asrai.org for the Wood Elf kin.

D.net did get a lot quieter over the years. Competing media is probably a reason. Maybe the Warhammer hobby shrunk a bit as well. (Other forums also got their act together, so we have fewer refugees now. :P) History/Lore and RPG have taken big hits, but I think the site is still going strong with the (new) members it has.

Daeron wrote:Hey... I had an active period in 6th but I was a regular member back then.

We are all "regular members" here, comrade Daeron. :P
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Crikey, the pensioners are making a comeback! :P

Shadowspite wrote:
What happened to Kitrik? IIRC, he was thinking of stepping down just before I left, but decided to stay on a bit longer. But obviously he's gone since? I knew him back before Druchii.net was Druchii.net (i.e. when it was still just a free bulletin board with severe traffic limits) and never really did say a proper goodbye.

Arcturus? Darkprincess? DarkAlliance? Linda? Kala? Doctor Langmann? Nagathi?

Langmann was largely running the show for a while as admin and then took over from Kitrik god knows how many years ago. Somewhere in the region of 10, since it was around that time I became an admin (seriously, these numbers are terrifying).

Darkprincess didn't really move on past 6th ed with her gaming group and she eventually stopped popping up in the chat. When the monthly didn't really restart there wasn't really any place or motivation for her fiction.

Linda had a disagreement with someone and left.

Kala faded away.

Langmann ran the show for many a year until he decided he wanted to pass it on to new people.

Nagathi...well, sometimes his enthusiasm didn't get the outlet here that he wanted, so Asrai became his home.

And let's say some of these answers are somewhat diplomatic and clouded by the mists of time :lol:.

(The banner elves were never replaced since I can't draw :o_O:. I slapped some Christmas hats on them one year for Langmann to mix things up a bit ;))

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++