Twelve Years On...

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Twelve Years On...

Post by Darkprincess »

Well who would have thought it?

It's exactly 12 years to the day since I first signed up to druchii.net!

Wow. How time flies when you're having fun :)

So what of those twelve years? Well a lot has changed that's for sure. Coming back here a couple of weeks ago after two years or so absence has been a big culture shock. For one thing, GW have totally screwed up everything (which I always said they would - but even I never thought they'd drop the ball this hard!)

You still have to own a few oil wells to be able to buy minis from them - no change there then, apart from the size of the oil wells required.

Magic cards are back! Seriously? They brought back magic cards? I mean Seriously???? :shock:

GW have changed all the paints! OMG now I'm going to try to have to match other paints with my existing ones (not to mention replacing a whole bunch of pots that have dried out) People tell me that the Vallejo Game Color range is the closest match so I guess I'll go that route.

I still prefer WFB 6th edition to any of the later ones to be honest - that's what I cut my teeth on and I still think it's the best system. Don't fix what ain't broken guys (she says as she fills up a big bag with magic dice)... By the time I stopped playing regularly, they were well into 7th Ed, but our group was still playing 6th (and probably still will, if I can ever get the group back together again - I have just one of the old players interested so far) There is no way in hell I'm ever going to play age of Sigmar, much less convince anyone else to play it, so if we do ever move forward, it'll be 9th Age (possibly with a few 6th edition tweaks)

I still have enough half built, unassembled and half-painted minis tucked away in boxes to keep me busy for the next 12 years!

Lots of things still to convert - and sadly some models that I no longer have - in particular the wonderful (if I do say so myself) "Dominatrix - Overfiend of Slaanesh", more popularly known in the online Warhammer forums as "The Barbiefex", since it was converted primarily from an old Barbie doll and a bunch of plastic Carnifex parts - as was the "Hellcannon of Slaanesh", which I still have, though it desperately need extensive repairing and repainting. Sadly the Dominatrix is no longer a part of my collection and since I don't have any Carnifex bits at present, it seems unlikely that she will return anytime soon - yet the fluff demands it! :twisted:

And then I need to finish painting the Slaaneshi Beastmen army as well as a whole bunch of Slaaneshi daemons to go with my CoS Druchii army (looks like there's some kind of pattern emerging here)

Pink is the new black, folks :mrgreen:

And then there's a whole list of D&D-inspired army lists that I'm still trying to get developed such as Drow and illithids - to name but two, as well as a bunch of other WFB armies such as Southlands, Cathay and so on.

All in all, after 12 years I've still got even more stuff to finish than I did at the start! How the hell does that happen?

Anyway, it's good to be back here, and hopefully I can intrigue, irritate and maybe even inspire you guys even more in the future Mwhahaha :twisted:
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Twelve Years On...

Post by Rork »

12? Pfft, Noob :P.

I've got to admit that the paint renaming shenanigans was one change that was needlessly annoying. I think GW paints are decent compared to anything else (and I've used a few ranges now after branching out into WM/H) and I definitely like using their washes compared to traditional inks. (I just need to work out why I always seem to end up playing blue armies)

When it comes to the rules, I like 8th...except the magic phase. It finally cleaned up the rules properly - a lot of them had been hanging around word for word since 4th edition. While the randomness did hack off a lot of people...it did stop the game being a matter of winning by being able to have a longer charge and a better guess than the other person.

Oh...and I think I just had a flashback to the Barbiefex...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Rork wrote:I just need to work out why I always seem to end up playing blue armies)

I can't imagine you with a blue army. When I think of you, I think of red. Maybe it's the Khorne thing or maybe it's just your red name text in here, but I always think of red :)

Rork wrote:Oh...and I think I just had a flashback to the Barbiefex...

Sadly I can't terrorise you again by linking the photos - the hosting site I had them on is long gone and although I do still have the original photos somewhere, I have no idea where they are now :(
Lucky escape for you guys I think LOL :mrgreen:

A quick google search failed to locate her anywhere online, although the term "barbiefex" did generate a few 'nid-related links. Barbiefexes are a real thing now? That would be awesome, though I have a nagging feeling that it won't be what I think it is...
The Dark Princess

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Heh. I think I could legitimately refer to Rork as a 'noob'. ;)

Let's hope we're both here to stay this time, DP.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:Let's hope we're both here to stay this time, DP.

I hope so too. Somebody has to keep this place going LOL

I have loads of new ideas for armies and masses of conversions to do (not to mention painting) so with a bit of luck I'll be here for a while :)

First priority as far as conversions are concerned is to find a way to scratchbuild the new style Cauldron of Blood. I was sorely tempted to buy one - until I saw the price. Really GW? You're taking the p155. I'll have a look on ebay and failing that I'm going to have to get clever :)

Many many other project ideas too - probably too many to have any realistic hope of finishing half of them let alone all, but I'll give it a go :)
The Dark Princess

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Shadowspite wrote:Heh. I think I could legitimately refer to Rork as a 'noob'. ;)

With that post count? Pfft! Pfft, I say! :P

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++