I am Bobba Looba

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Bobba Looba
Corsair

I am Bobba Looba

Post by Bobba Looba »

Hi all,

I’ve been hanging around here for a while now, but hadn’t properly introduced myself yet. I wanted to share my progress as I rebuild and finish my Dark Elf army. I think the best place for this is the Painting and Modelling section, but first a little introduction.

I am a returning player and recently started the hobby again after having left a long time ago in the early 1990’s. I went with Dark Elves, but at the time I was unable to put in the finances to collect anything close to an army. I only had a couple of different models, a couple of Witch Elves, some Black Guards, Cold One Knights and some Crossbowmen, but I couldn’t make up my mind and collect enough to form full units. I lost interest before I had played a single game.

Recently, I found out that one of my buddies had been playing in the past too, and together we decided to take up the hobby again. My unfinished army had been stored in a moving box for years, but luckily, I have never thrown anything away. It’s been twenty years since I first discovered Warhammer, and now, I’m going to finish it, once and for all. Even though since I left everything changed and Dark Elves are no longer part of the GW range,

The army I am left with is a mix of everything. From 4th to 8th edition and from awfully painted to decent quality. Although I plan on discarding some of my older models for newer ones, I also want to incorporate some of the older models, for both aesthetical and nostalgic reasons. I plan to overcome the differences in style amongst different models by keeping a strict paint scheme.

The main reason to start this progress thread now, is because I decided to participate in a local GW painting contest. I’m going with the old DE Manticore, which I showed off unpainted in an earlier post. By posting my progress here, I’ll be able to receive some feedback but will also keep the motivation to continue.

This is the progress so far: I have the base coat on and painted the back of the wings with more detail. I will post more in a dedicated PLOG later on.

Cheers!

PS. If anyone can explain how I can post bigger pictures, that would be great..
Attachments
Manticore back 2.jpg
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: I am Bobba Looba

Post by Calisson »

The manticore looks good!
Wondering, do you intend to play games with your friend, or just to paint?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

At the moment it's mostly painting. We did try our hands at a couple of small scale test-battles, although he has Wood Elves and is losing interest in playing them, beause they are quite difficult to play well.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The day you want to start playing with army books which are well balanced in power, and find a community of helpful fellow gamers, try The 9th Age.
It has been made by former WH players, and the feeling is quite the same as WH - just improved, in particular with rules which have zero ambiguity.
https://www.the-ninth-age.com/
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Giovanni20
Slave on the Altar

Post by Giovanni20 »

It looks nice. Never seen another one like that.