Path of the Gladiator - Volume II

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lethalis
Loremaster

Path of the Gladiator - Volume II

Post by Lethalis »

Greetings.

If you are new to the Path of the Gladiator, then please look here. It will explain how the first round was dealt with in detail. For those with less patience, here is a basic overview:

A long time ago, an unknown slavemaster had hosted a tournament in an underground arena of Karond Kar. From all over Naggaroth, noble families who vied for power, riches and fame brought out a representative to fight for them - often a particularly strong slave. While frowned upon and sometimes declared illegal, these underground slave fights still manage to draw a large crowd and with it several houses who wish to win what playing fair could not achieve.

However, during the last fight the winner met with an accident - if it was an accident. After a vicious human fighter had defeated all before him an even more vicious Hydra broke in the arena and gobbled him up. Feeling deprived and with the slavemaster, whom as it has been rumoured had betted on the losing finalist, disappearing in smoke it was Lelith Vraneth, a high ranking member of the Vraneth family, who invited the families to meet again when the dust had settled... this time in Har Ganeth.

The spies of the Witch King are still seeking but who would ever suspect a house such as that of Vraneth of hosting illegal games?

=======================

The Rules

Welcome, Dear Druchii.netters, to the second part of Path of the Gladiators. In this Arena of Death, noble families from all around Naggaroth and beyond get a chance to earn fame and fortune, or an assassin’s attention ;)

The rules are as following:
  • characters up to 200 points are allowed
  • only characters under the Heroes section allowed (ie, no Lords)
  • No characters with the special rules Daemonic or Undead allowed (they make for poor slaves), neither are Ogres, if nothing else due to author’s dislike of their army book ;)
  • Characters from Appendix lists are allowed (such as an Eshin sorcerer, or Gnoblar Honcho)
  • only 1 wound mounts allowed
  • no special characters allowed
  • up till 50 points of magic items, virtues, Temple of Khaine upgrades etc. allowed

The following items aren’t allowed:
Tress of Isolde
Sword of Fate
Van Horstmann's Speculum
The Daemon Sword
The Fellblade
The Bane Head
The Grudge Rune
The Talisman of Saphery
Virtue of Confidence
Annoyance of Nettles

Also, any item which I have missed here that includes in its rules "nominate one enemy character" is illegal.

Changed:
Gaze of the Gods - same points cost, before the battle roll a D6 - 1 = you get a 6+ ward, 2-3 = you get a 5+ ward, 4-6 = you get a 4+ ward. Such is the fickle nature of chaos.

Warpstone amulet - same points cost, but roll to see if you die before the fight instead of afterwards.

In the first round of combat, both warriors count as charging for the purposes of lances and other special rules. If neither warrior has a 'strike first' ability (or a 'strike last' ability), the person with the highest Initiative will strike first. If both warriors are equally entitled to strike first (usually because they have equal initiative), striking order will be determined randomly.

The fight is rolled like a normal challenge. This means that dice are rolled 'to hit', 'to wound', 'saves', and 'ward saves'. It will continue until one warrior dies. If both warriors die simultaneously, the entire fight is re-rolled from the start. This means no shooting or magic (including prayers).

Killing Blow will not instantly kill it's foe. Instead, when a 6 is rolled, their armour is ignored as normal for the rules for killing blow. If it then bypasses their ward save, the victim will suffer D2+1 wounds, instead of instantly killing them. This will do 2 to 3 wounds.

Fear is handled similarly to normal. In the first round of combat, a warrior facing a fearsome foe will take a Ld test. If it is failed, he/she will hit on 6+ for that round of combat, even if he/she is outnumbered.

Hatred is also handled as normal. The warrior will re-roll failed 'to hit' rolls against hated foes.

While there's nowhere to run, you can still have the confidence and fighting frenzy knocked out of you, and therefore models do lose frenzy as normal.

There will be a magic phase, but the enemy character counts as in combat for the purposes of magic missiles and the like. When taking a missile weapon one can give up the right to charge altogether and thus the stand and shoot will also still be available, but all to hit rolls will suffer –2 due to the urgency of the situation.

READ THIS PART CAREFULLY

If you wish to enter, PM me with the family name (only one family per member) of your noble house and the character (stats, items, appearance). In this thread, you can post your character’s fluff and challenges. Challenges can be declined or accepted. If I want to start the game but there are unchallenged characters or unanswered challenges, I will pair the characters randomly. The challenges work using the knock-out system, so if you’re beaten you’re beaten. This also means a game can start with 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 etc players. Should there be a shortage, I will include characters randomly chosen (I have a couple in store for you ;)).

The deadline for a 16 character arena will be wednesday the 6th, if more people apply then we will consider pushing it back slightly.

Note that this is the second of a series. After this one is over, each family gets the chance to enter again, apart from the one that was beaten in a most disgraceful way (ie, the fastest) which will be excluded from the next series. This also means that High Executioner Kalus by default cannot participate – sorry mate :P The winner will get 10 more points on his character to spend the next series regardless of point limits. For this round, this means that if Lloyba participates, he has a starting limit of 210 points for his hero.

The looming towers of the city of Har Ganeth are no please for the weak and easily scared. It is a place where the craft of death in which ever manner is being practiced till perfection so that one may kill most quick – or as slowly as possible. Its reputation has gained this city the Cursed Place and nowhere is this more evident than in the chilling arena where blood once spilt never leaves. Many curses have been uttered and some linger…

Before each battle in the tall tower, a die is rolled for each warrior. The following table shows which curse is applicable on the unfortunate gladiator:
  • 1 : The muscles become gradually weaker as the fighter feels the disturbing presence of those who died helplessly in this place. S/he suffers from –1S.
  • 2 : Upon entering the stone floor, this warrior’s mind becomes a hazy and foggy, not really realising what is going on due to ancient spells casted long ago in the name of the daemon Koon’Foozion. The warrior suffers from stupidity.
  • 3 : The blood of several persons who tried hastening the verdict still lies here. They were killed using a spell which made all weapons lose its speed, and has remained to hang in the air ever after. The fighter gets –1A.
  • 4 : A spirit intending on consuming their victim’s brain oozes around, and though contained by the magic in the tower it occasionally makes people forgetting how to eat, how to speak, or how to handle their weapon. The warrior suffers from –1 Ws.
  • 5 : Many a creature has found its end in this tower, leaving nothing behind but hatred. Sometimes, their hatred is passed on to those who would seek death… The warrior gains the hatred special rule.
  • 6 : The magic is strong but nothing special happens.

A chance to win fame and fortune is not easily overlooked by the Druchii, for while fame may come in handy fortune is a goal in itself. And of course, everyone knows that money is good, money is might… and might makes right.

Also, for each placing the participant will receive the opposite number of revenue points (e.g., in a 16 man round no.2 will get 15 points, no. 3 will get 14 and so on). These points may be used to buy the following:
  • 10 more points magic item allowance next round - 1 revenue point
  • re-rolls to hit* - 3 revenue points
  • re-rolls to wound* - 5 revenue points
  • re-rolls for armour saves* - 3 revenue points
  • re-rolls for ward saves* - 10 revenue points
  • a sorceress from the convent - 30 revenue points

* = will be used at first possible opportunity
A sorceress will be able to summon a daemonic character for the family, within the normal restrictions.

If the following persons supply a character, please also state how many revenue points and what for you use them in your PM.

Lloyba has access to 16 revenue points
Cenyu has access to 15 revenue points
General Kala has access to 14 revenue points
Andruillius has access to 13 revenue points
The Nightlord has access to 12 revenue points
A neutral shade of black has access to 10 points
Ashnari has access to 9 points
Prince Cal has access to 8 points
Lord Kaladin has access to 7 points
Voodoomaster has access to 6 points
Mel’Reyna has access to 5 points
Niterabbit has access to 4 points
Danceman has access to 3 points
Cerulaetas has access to 2 points
High Exectioner Kalus has access to 1 point next time

The next round will take place in Clar Karond, so stay tuned ;)

Read very carefully through this as both Voodoomaster and myself don't have all the time of the world and can work as fast as possible if everyone does everything right the first time ;)

As an aside, Voodoomaster is currently unable to write his fluff for now due to illness and upcoming exams, and therefor sends his apologies. It will arrive at a later stage.
Last edited by Lethalis on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

*Raises hand* I'm in! Will get you my character later on when I get around to making it :)

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Count me in.

*awaits rules*
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Im in, and awaiting rules.

Will this be like fighting in a challenge? as in game terms?
You'll get my character when the rules come by

-Sincerely
Khelly
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Pretty much - I guess the only real difference is the lack of combat resolution since it doesn't really matter apart from frenzy, and there will be no running away. Rules will be coming quickly along with some fluff.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Im in if you will have me (and if you wont...raised fist menecingly)
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Shadow dark
Noble

Post by Shadow dark »

I'll join.
Hi, i'm Shadow Dark. I spend my time teaching dragons the difference between their food and the slaves that bring it in
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

Beastmistress Ki strode into the faint light streaming in through the skylights. The arena of House Vraneth was magnificent. The granite pillars were trimmed in ornate carvings of black marble. Torch sconces were mirrored in silver to reflect down to the killing floor. An array of polished skulls was mounted above the spiked lip of the pit. The place smelled of dried blood and fear.

She breathed deep and smiled. She had almost forgotten the thrill of the arena. After the incident with the Hydra last year, the gladiatorial games had been all but forgotten. Now the air was thick with excitement and anticipation. The contest would be renewed. With it, the fate of her House would be decided.

Above the pit, slaves bustled about the arena seats. They were being cleaned and readied for the guests that would be arriving in a few days. Among them would be her employer of the moment - Uldreg of House Urz.

Lord Urz was the worst manner of arrogant, perverted, Slaaneshi trash. Even thought she herself was a dabbler in the Cult of Pleasure, the thought of having to obey him filled her with disgust. She cursed his name and silently wished for the Dark Prince to forsake him.

But as vile as he was, his champion was even more repulsive. She had already lost two apprentices to it. Simply containing it was a constant chore. But she had to admit that it would make for a horrifyingly entertaining fight.

Ki unfastened her whip and walked back toward the slave pits with a smile. They would all be entertaining fights.

-------

So yeah, I'm in again.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Morvai

Post by Morvai »

save me a spot. I will make background and character later.
I've been waiting for this ever since I missed the last one. :lol:
Masters of Mischief (NC background)
The Black Blades (DE). W: 2 D: 2 L: 1
Lois_griffin-must_die
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lois_griffin-must_die »

As long as this contains excessive amounts of sodemy, I'm in.

No, what is it ;).
Morvai

Post by Morvai »

edit:
you all have had your chance to look at my character setup. So if you missed it, that's your problem. :lol:
Last edited by Morvai on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cerulaetas
Highborn
Location: Behind you liek omg so whitty lolz I r unique lol!!11!1one wtf!

Post by Cerulaetas »

I'm in. I'll need to go dig up my old fluff and see if I want to continue that, but I am so in.
Ashnari Doomsong wrote:So, you're saying that dwarf ironbreakers in HTH combat are heavy cavalry?
You're wierd...
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Morvai...you stole my idea for an Ogre Bruiser!!! ;)
well, two can play at that game....

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Morvai

Post by Morvai »

Khelmor wrote:Morvai...you stole my idea for an Ogre Bruiser!!! ;)
well, two can play at that game....

bring it on! :lol:
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

hehe i was like planning this for two whole days seeing what combo's would be best and you beat me too it, don't blame me if my Character weapons and that are similar. I'll try something different.

Oh and Lethalis or VoodooMaster, whoever is writing the battles down. Can you say thay my weapon is like a big, blood smeared mace, like the one the tyrant has on the front cover of the Ogre Kingdoms Book.
(Only fluffwise, for i don't see my weapon very Bruiser-ish, more man-eater-ish...if that makes sense...Please?)

Fluff is on its way...
Last edited by Khel on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Might I remind you that last time around, only fluff was to enter the topic and characters had to be sent via PM so no one could see your set-up? ;) I can already give away it'll be the same time this round :P

But if you prefer to give your opponents a chance to view your equipment, adjust theirs accordingly and then challenge you for the first round then go ahead ;)
Olaf_ironfoot
Noble

Post by Olaf_ironfoot »

I believe I may be interested as well.
"I like women. I don't understand them, but I like them."
-Sean Connery
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Meh, I'll give them all a chance to see my equipment...before i crush them all (Wishful thinking here) I was thinking of Pm'ing you, but Morvai already put his out, and there was no harm done. It's not like your opponents to change there items just to challenge you. I could just easily decline unless you mark me up with them...can you change equipment during the match?

As i said before, i gave people a chance to see my equipment. Now you see it...now you don't :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

What did you expect - I'm in.
Shadow dark
Noble

Post by Shadow dark »

Khalira sighed as she turned to the slaves pushing the cage, and the savage being inside it. In truth she had no need of their help, she could have propelled the cart with a flicker of arcane power, but binding the heathen inside to her will was taking more energy then she anticipated. She guessed it was due to his gods loathing of magic.

She approached a bored looking official, and said
"I am Khalira, representative of house Val'rey'an. I have come to submit this creature to the gladiatorial combat."

The official stood up to look in the cage, and with a flicker of a mental command, had the barbarian lunge at the official through the bars.

With a sadistic smirk she said
"He's a worshipper of khorne, and we haven't let him out of that cage in over a month. He may be a trifle testy."

The official nodded, wiping away the blood where the human had managed to hit him, and registered the entry.

"A-and whats his n-name then?" he asked nervously.

"The name we prised from his mind was...,"

"Y-yes?"

"Lulubelle."
Hi, i'm Shadow Dark. I spend my time teaching dragons the difference between their food and the slaves that bring it in
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Ah so your suposed to post the fluff on here, well here we go then.

Ah, the Har Ganath night. The shadows and the lights, the perfume on the breeze tinted with a hint of oiled steel. The sights and smells of Naggaroth, it had been to long. Nathra Saronagha, representitive of house Athalir (though he would keep that quiet) jumped down from his horse and turned to see the wagon carrieing his cargo. The wagon was small, an elfs hight long and half as wide. Other than that there was little to be said about it, black, coverd and unmarked it was the identical twin of a thousand other wagons in this city. However the four tall Druchii strideing alongside it with blades bared would make some one look twice. Particulaly as they seemed to spend more time looking at the wagon than out at the road.

Nathra knew that such precusions were probobly meaningless. Not even this Dwarf could chew through an inch of steel and if he did get out there would be little even these four armed gaurds could do to stop him. When the dwarf had been captured he had singlehandedly stoped the charge the the cold one knights and had only been brought down when tangled in a net. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts Nathra turned again and looked at the door he was standing by. knocking thrice he waited for a slit to open at eye level.
"My name is Nathra Saronagh; I understand your master likes to put on some intresting...entertainments, I have brought something that will be of intrest to him."Without a word the slit closed and a gate openend. Smiling to him self Nathra led the wagon inside.

I doubt that I will win this as I dont have any of the army books with the truly nasty charactors but hopfully my Dwarf will crack a few Ogre teath before he gets swallowed.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

The rules are up, please look at the original post for them.
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

The Tilean

Race: Human

Birth Place: Miragliano

Affiliation: Gladiator of House Thornwind

Weapon: Chainaxe

Warcry: None. The Tilean is mute.

Armour: Barbed shield, metal shoulder guard and vambrace on left arm, greaves, helmet.

Background:

This warrior's origins lie in one of the many martial schools and academies which are spread all over the Tilean penninsula. The nation has a long history of pit fighting and gladiatoral combat. The Tilean was a celebrated hero of the arena, entertaining the crowd with his exceptional prowess and exotic style of fighting. This changed somewhat when his school fell victim to a Druchii raid. Despite the valiant stand of the pit fighters they were eventually overwhelmed and taken back to Naggaroth as slaves alongside many other unfortunate Tileans. The fate of the gladiators was somewhat different to that of regular slaves, though - due to their martial experience they faced a continued existence in the Arenas of Naggaroth rather than Tilea instead of the common slave labour. They were employed as fighters for House Thornwind of Karond Fel - the House which had financed the raid on Tilea in the first place. After some time most of the gladiators had been slain, fallen in combat against duelists or beasts from other houses. Only one warrior remained - further only known as "The Tilean". He continued what he had begun back home and what he did best: Slay his opponents and please the crowd.

Appearance:

The Tilean is a muscular human with scar-covered, deeply tanned skin. He wears traditional and highly stylized Pit Fighter armour which seems rather insufficient if comapred to a suit of full armour yet he uses the protection the single pieces provide to maximum effect. The Tilean's head is covered by a tight-fitting helmet with a skull-shaped face plate. He never removes the helmet while in the arena.

The warrior is armed with a round bronze shield and a chain axe - a double-bladed axe with a short haft connected to the Tilean's wrist by a chain. This construction enables the Tilean to either wield his weapon like a conventional axe or release the grip and swing it around the chain, increasing the range and enabling the warrior for example to disarm his opponent. The Tilean's skill with the chainaxe is consummate and he switches between modes and stances within the blink of an eye. His shield shows a stylized sun forged from burnished brass - with the addition that the rays of it project over the shield's rim as finger-long metal spikes turning it into a fearsome offensive device, too. The Tilean's perfection with these two weapons has cost the lives of dozens of gladiators.

The Tilean has a characteristic unnerving feature: Years ago his tongue was removed and therefore he remains completely silent even in the Arena - not even a grunt of pain will escape his lips let alone an insult or taunt. His weapons do the talking for him.

€: You do realize that the 200 point limit in combination with the 50 points allowance leaves very little choices to tinker with touching the limit, right? Unless I missed something fancy only Exalted Champions can come close to or over 200 points within the restrictions of the PotG. And guess who offers the best stats and decent magical selection... and marks which don't count towards the allowance? Why not make a normal 250 pts. arena (or at least up the allowance)?

Just my two cents which are in no way meant to question the awesomeness of the PotG.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

WHAT!!! NO OGRES!!! aw man...I had an awsome build for my character...

Here's new Fluff, character

Kaleth of House Sarradain strode down the fall way. He was looking for his Ogre Bruiser which he had captured from Cathay. Turning the corner he saw a disgusting sight. His Ogre Bruiser had broken out of its cage and had stuffed its face full of slaves. Knowing his slave wouldn't be fit to fight for the arena, Kaleth pondered his situation. He shrugged to himself and pointed to the cage next to the Ogre. A Champion of Nurgle lay in the corner, sleeping in it's own filth.
"You there, your gonna fight in the arena. Get suited up," said Kaleth clicking his fingers. Ten elegant female Beastmaster's swept into the room and escorted the champion of Chaos into the armoury. Feeling cheated Kaleth mearly coughed before he left to see to the registration.

I rushed this characters build after i read that there was no Ogres allowed in the arena...he would of owned you all :lol:

Cerulaetas
Highborn
Location: Behind you liek omg so whitty lolz I r unique lol!!11!1one wtf!

Post by Cerulaetas »

Daema Soraava entered through the gates of the arena to the registration stand. As the youngest Soraava daughter, she had been sent (under the supervision of her family, of course) to watch the arena matches as a birthday gift before entering the Temple of Khaine. Behind her, house servants dragged a small cage. Within it, the Soraava champion - though why this one was selected, she knew not. The goblin sat passively within his cage, watching Daema. Upon his forehead was branded the Mark of Khaine. "Here, in Khaine's palace, it is Khaine who protects in his thousand forms. A Khaine blessed creature to inaugurate an entering of Khaine's service. Auspicious indeed, if what I hear is the truth," she whispered to herself. "Registrar! I have an entrant..."
Ashnari Doomsong wrote:So, you're saying that dwarf ironbreakers in HTH combat are heavy cavalry?
You're wierd...