Short Story: As Cold as a Temple Maiden's Heart

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Short Story: As Cold as a Temple Maiden's Heart

Post by Syjahel »

I know Witch Elves are batshit crazy, but I figure they are also loving and devoted Brides (when seen through that same mad lens) who want to do Khaine's Will. Well, I had fun writing this and maybe someone would enjoy reading it. That's all, really :) Plus, my adjectives needed a run.

As cold as a temple maiden’s heart. She awoke with a sigh, a slight, distant smile on perfect lips, still painted red from His kiss. My love, if only they knew …

The air was crisp and cold and scented with incense and blood, faint hints of the smoke of the sacrificial blaze tinting the darkness as the witchlight bloomed at her word, and she slid long white legs from beneath the furs piled high on her bed. Bare feet touched the flagstones and made small, neat prints through the droplets and whorls of crimson. She lifted the pointed coronet to her head, slipped on a pair of low boots, clipped a heavy, gem-decorated necklace to a simple halter, and wound a heavy silk scarf around her hips, knotted so that the ends hung like the teasing reminder of a skirt. Taking a long, serrated dagger in one hand, she reached back to the bed and gathered an armful of the furs, wolf and sable. Then, with the absent gaze of one still half-dreaming, she took in the blood-spattered white stucco walls of her chamber. The shuttered window sang with the thin sigh of the North wind, snow on the breeze.

He shivered. The night was cold; it was always cold. He stamped on the spot to keep his feet moving, long slender fingers curled tight within thin leather gloves and arms wound tight around his chest. Breath frosted the air, which stung with every intake. The cloak fluttered where it should drape closely to his hunched form, and he reached out with a curse to draw it closed again.

The dark stone of the walls bore spreading flowers of frost, each perfect arc another hour he should have been back at the barracks, asleep in the warmth of his bed. His eyes drifted closed, and he forced them to open once more. His companion hissed softly, though whether alert to the danger of falling asleep on watch, or merely amused at his exhaustion, he couldn’t tell. Restless, tonight as every night, he scanned the black northern sky, clear and pitiless with the cold eyes of stars, and found nothing to report on the hourly bell.

It was harder to keep upright now and the skin over his sharp cheekbones felt pinched, as if it had been limned in ice. The biting cold wind whipped his hair into his face, and he pushed it back with a shaking hand. He stared hard at the shadows, shifting with the passage of clouds across the second moon, rising to illuminate the city he was tasked with defending. There was something there, out in the darkness …

She seemed to float across the black stones, bootheels clicking contrapunto to her swaying hips. He couldn’t be sure if she was a wraith, if he was awake, if her perfect marble skin wasn’t an illusion conjured by the drifting snow and tired eyes. Too slowly, he reached for his sword, but the blade had frozen in the sheath and she was upon him, standing so near that he could feel heat radiating from her near-naked form. He wanted to pull her closer, drink in the heady sweetness of another living being, warm and alive. He wanted to draw his sword and dispel the illusion that mocked his vigilance. He wanted to sleep.

She reached up to twine her arms around his neck, watching as his eyes flew wide. He tried to speak, lips barely moving as she brushed them closed with one small white hand. She pulled the bundled furs apart and reached up to drape them around his shoulders. At their heart they were still warm from her rest, scented and heady with incense and woodsmoke. She tucked them artfully around the cold statue, the broad shoulders with their high pauldrons, the strong arms, the narrow close-belted waist. He shivered as the warmth took hold, feeling life seep back into tired limbs.

“A cold death brings no glory to Khaine.” She whispered it, tracing a sharp nail down the side of his neck, just below his ear. Blood. She could hear it now, racing along his veins with each quickening breath, just above the muted sound of battle-cries and the screams of the dying. She held his chilled face between her hands, breathing warmth into his mouth with her bloodied kiss.

“When He takes you, your blood shall run bright, red, and hot.” She stepped back and turned to walk away, leaving him with the blessing of the Bloody-Handed God.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

A druchii love story, the first time I have seen one attempted but its certainly an interesting idea. Its very descriptive, which I like, its hard to comment on the plot with so little to go on. Though I have to say I would be suprised if a half naked whitch elf would be radiating heat by the time she had walked from the temple to the city walls in the kind of cold you infer. That was my only thing, and it is very minor indeed. Is this a one off or do you plan to continue it?
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Oh! well thank you :) It's not a ... that is to say, I had completely not intended to make it look like she was in love with anyone but Khaine. That's who she means by Him and 'my love' ... That's my fault completely if that's not clear. This is most likely a one-off, though I might have another with the same character.

I agree, I always wondered how Witch Elves kept warm. I would fairly often mention how daft it was that they dressed like they do in the Land of Chill ... I came to the conclusion it must be something to do with Khaine's blessing to his Brides, (because he likes to see them dressed like that ... ;)) thus they were able to not feel the cold. Otherwise, Naggaroth would be littered with Druchii popsicles :D Some kind of less metaphorical extension of the heat of battle perhaps.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I allways interpreted it as a test of faith, and not something they do all the time anyway. But as with anything in the background that is not spelled out clearly your views and indeed anyone elses are as valid as any.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Hi there.

I really liked this short story. I believe that you've captured the very sensual and highly sexual nature of the brides of Khaine quite effectivley.

It is easy to read and the style in which you have written it easily IMO, gives you a sense of excitment yet cold blooded fear.

Well done and I look forward to reading the next one!

Cheers!
H :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Thank you - I really appreciate that, it made my day :D I'm glad you liked it. but thanks for also taking the time to say what in particular - this is always good to know :)
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Uruthi
Shade

Post by Uruthi »

I like this story, too! You use some very nice words and you give exact descriptions. You are not so explicit, you hint at a lot of things which makes the story interesting. It was a good read.