Coven of the Verdant Moon - GT Amy List + Fluff

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Count zero
Cold One Knight

Coven of the Verdant Moon - GT Amy List + Fluff

Post by Count zero »

For this year's UKGT they've asked for a bit of additional background to go with the rosters. A good way to add a little extra i think. So without further ado here is my list + fluff.

The Coven Of The Verdant Moon

Lady Valithra Helbane 360
Lord - Lvl 4 Sorceress
Sacrificial Dagger
Talisman of Protection
Lifetaker
Lore of Dark Magic

Yinari, Herald of Khaine 225
Hero - Death Hag
Battle Standard Bearer
Cauldron of Blood

Lord Nevarc’s Household Guard
Core - 19 Repeater Crossbows with Shields 224
Standard bearer and musician

Core - 19 Repeater Crossbows with Shields 214
Musician

Night Striders
Core - 5 Dark Riders 110
Repeater Crossbows

Raihnir’s Dread Guard
Special- 18 Black Guard 269
Full Command

The Wardens of Khaine
Special - 18 Executioners 246
Full Command

Beasts of War
Rare - War Hydra 175
Rare - War Hydra 175

Total: 1998

Lord Nevarc Helbane prowled the dock, his mood matched by the dark and threatening sky overhead. His sleek corsair, the Mistslicer, was straining at her moorings, his crew eager to be under way before the storm, now creeping in on the horizon, came much closer.

He resented his latest duty, he had worked tirelessly for his uncle the Dread Lord Nurekh Helbane, and this was his reward! To babysit his younger sister, Lady Valithra! Valithra, a fledgling member of Lady Anethra's Court, although obviously a powerful seeress in her own right and a prominent figure in the emerging Coven of the Verdant Moon, but completely lacking experience of the rigours of true battle. Worse still on the eve of their departure Anethra personally commanded him not to interfere with any of Valithra's plans! He was sure that Anethra and Nurekh were up to something and vowed to be extra vigilant until he knew what it was, perhaps it was to see Valithra killed on some foreign field, leaving her on her own was surely asking for as much.

Even his own hope of returning with a hold full of slaves, something the bolts of the repeater crossbows excelled at, had been dashed. He had hand picked the best of his retinue for this venture, loyal warriors who knew how to take their target down without killing, using the vicious barbs on the bolts to leave their victim incapacitated in agony, whilst often rendering no long term damage that a decent healer couldn't repair, well at least so it wouldn't show on the slave block. Then he learned that Valithra would be accompanied by the Black Guard, the fearless elite of Malekith's personal forces, warriors not interested in taking slaves for personal gain, ones not known for lenience on the battlefield.

A roar from deep within the ships hold reminded him of his other concern, 2 War Hydras, mighty beasts without equal on the battlefield, but with a tendency to rip their foes to shreds or burn them to ash, and they'd need regular feeding on the voyage too, more slaves lives, more profits swallowed up.

Suddenly the sound of hooves drummed on the dock, snapping him out of his grim reverie, and mere yards in front of him a band of dark riders melted out of the night, their leader reigned in beside him and in a whispered tone advised he had a urgent message for Lady Valithra. With a murderous scowl Nevarc waved him through.

Minutes later the Dread Captain Raihnir, commander of the Black Guard, appeared on the deck, his powerful voice carrying easily through the night as he told Nevarc, in a tone that brooked no argument, to wait for another arrival. Nevarc glanced at the approaching storm and hoped whoever it was that was joining them would not be too long about it.

Some half and hour had passed and as the winds started to build, the howling edges of a gale, Nevarc glimpsed the outline group approaching, he could discern little, just the odd glint of silvered metal. Finally, he thought, we'll be able to get away before the worst of the storm hits; then as a bolt of lightening split the sky a matching bolt of fear ran down his spine. The brief illumination had revealed his worst nightmare, the Wardens of Khaine, his anointed warriors the Executioners, led by none other than the Yinari, The Herald of Khaine, and behind her a score of slaves dragging a Cauldron with a mighty statue of Khiane towering above. Some said the Hag was a prophetess guided by Khaine's own hand, others that she was mad beyond compare. He knew which he believed, but would never be so foolish as to utter it aloud.

As the Khainites marched straight past him without so much as a glance, his brain was working franticly, trying to fit the latest piece of the puzzle. The temple and the covens together! Whilst they might work together for a common goal as soon as it was in sight he knew there would be a reckoning, and with that conflict there would be opportunity; as long as one was smart enough to recognise it in time.

Nevarc turned and boarded his ship, as he cut the last of the mooring ropes an evil grin spread across his face, perhaps this trip wouldn't be so bad after all.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

I enjoyed your fluff even if sadly I can't offer any useful comments on your list (still at the painting stage). It's atmospheric and I'd love to see what transpires written up in the same way ... Good luck!

And as for slaves, you never know - every battlefield is a Khaine-sent opportunity ...
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Ok, I just read this awesome fluff about Lord Nevarc, and I don't get to see him in the list?!?! lol :D

My biggest worry about your list is that it lacks warmachine hunting with only that one unit of DR, so I would move some points around to add in harpies and /or shades. I'm not sure if the sorceress has the best setup. Though the sacrificial dagger is a really good item, I am of the oppinion that it is only useful on really cheap units, namely spearmen. Since spearmen are not in your army, I would change out the dagger for the darkstar cloak. The casting values of lore of dark are so low, anyway, so unless you are really unlucky in pd generation, you should be able to use power of darkness and the cloak to more or less cast most if not all of your spells.

I hope that helps. I would recommend posting this list in the army list forum, as well, since it will more likely get more reviews there.