Khaine's chosen-warning, lots of text ahead

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Khaine's chosen-warning, lots of text ahead

Post by Malus99 »

Hey all! I have some experimental rules I'd appreciate your thoughts on, a while ago I did up some rules for a kick-ass Malus Darkblade with all of his magic items to try and make the character's capabilities as close as in the book, more recently, I did some rules for Urial the Forsaken, Yasmir and the Zealots of Khaine. Of them all I have only playtested Urial and the zealots, which both seemed to work out ok.

Warning: There may be some spoilers for the malus darkblade novels hidden in the text so if you haven't read them all, go and do so now before I hunt you down and kill you for your heresy. Then come back and we can talk ;)

Malus Darkblade: Now who among you who have read the darkblade books and didn't wish the Malus character of warhammer wasn't alittle better? Granted they had to tone him down or else he would kill everyone and make the game boring, but I did up some full rules for him just for the fun. Note that I wouldn't use this set in serious gaming, just as a fun, one-off in a large friendly, as far as I'm concerned fielding a character costing much over 400 points is abit annoying as the opponent will have a real headache against them and if they do manage to take them out, that is a huge chunk of the army down the drain. Might hire out the items individually to characters occasionally though. His points cost is just a wild stab in the dark if you'll pardon the phrase, I haven't tried him out yet and his rules are a touch 'unconventional'. I was aiming to equate him to the character in the books.

Malus Darkblade-Scion of Hag Graef, Scourge of KhaineRules for using Malus Darkblade at the height of his power

Malus Darkblade is a relentless, vicious Druchii, his quest for power led him to murder his own father, and through the course of his life he has killed three of his five siblings and now locks horns with a fourth. With the power of the Daemon Tz’arkan, Malus has carved a path of destruction the length and breadth of Naggaroth and beyond, playing a major role in the coup of Har Ganeth and causing the deaths of almost the entire upper echelons of the cult of Khaine, exposing and destroying a cult of Slaanesh, annihilating an entire Beastman Herd almost singlehandedly and many, many more. Malus has been many things to the Druchii, an outcast, a conqueror, a traitor, a hero, a deceiver and their greatest champion, one thing Malus has never been though is peaceful, and now he leads the armies of Hag Graef and all of Naggaroth when the Druchii march to war. Once more in the possession of the five ancient relics which helped him free himself from Tzarkan’s grip, and with the power of the Daemon under his control, Malus is a skilled and unforgiving opponent, and many have fallen before the scourge and his cursed blade, friend and foe alike.

Malus Darkblade (Lord):…………………………………………………Points Cost: 600

M WS BS S T W I A LD
Malus 5 6 5 4 3 3 7 4 10
Spite 7 3 0 4 4 1 3 2 4

Equipment: Malus wears his enchanted armour, wields the Warpsword of Khaine, two hand weapons and the Dagger of Torxus and bears the Amulet of Vaurog, Idle of Kolkuth and the Octagon of Praan.

Idol of Kolkuth: Malus may use the idol of Kolkuth at the start of his turn unless he is engaged in combat. Any model in a unit Malus has joined or in base contact with him can make an initiative test, if passed they have managed to follow Malus into the abyss. Models being transported must pass a LD test or be slain instantly with no saves of any kind allowed. Models that pass the LD test turn up on a point on the battlefield determined by Malus in the same formation as they were before. Models transported by the idol of Kolkuth cannot do anything for the remainder of their turn.

Malus cannot use the idol if he is afflicted by frenzy or stupidity.

Amulet of Vaurog: The amulet of Vaurog gives Malus a 4+ Ward save against attacks made against him in close combat.

Dagger of Torxus: Malus may elect to use the dagger of Torxus in any Close combat. Whilst using the dagger of Torxus Malus can only attempt to attack a single model and no damage is carried over onto other models, no one else can attack the model Malus is attacking (including spite). For each hit caused by the dagger of Torxus the model must pass an unmodified armour save or be slain instantly with no other kind of save allowed, never roll to wound with the dagger of Torxus.

Octagon of Praan: Malus is immune to all magic which would affect him, even if it is a beneficial spell such as an augment. If a spell is cast upon him with irresistible force, the Octagon of Praan is destroyed and Malus is no longer immune, though the spell cast with irresistible force still does not affect him (for that turn if it remains in play).

Warpsword of Khaine: Malus may draw the Warpsword at the start of his turn, whilst it is drawn Malus is unbreakable, has Frenzy (and can’t lose it whilst the sword is drawn), ASF, +2WS, +1S and +2I. Malus cannot attempt to restrain a charge/ pursuit/ overrun for frenzy when the warpsword is drawn. Failed rolls to wound may be re-rolled from the warpsword and no armour saves can be taken for wounds inflicted by it. Malus must attack a model in base contact in every one of his close combat phases (during his turn, he is not forced to attack in the opponent’s), if there are no enemies he attacks friendlies, if there are no friendlies he attacks himself. Malus may attempt to sheath the warpsword at the start of his turn by passing a LD test at 5 LD + wounds he dealt last turn.

Tz’arkan: During the start of any of Malus’ turns he may call upon the daemon Tz’arkan, for the rest of the game Malus has +1S, +2T, +1WS and +2I. Malus may not call upon Tz’arkan when he has drawn the warpsword and vice versa. Whilst using the daemon’s power, Malus causes terror in war beasts and cavalry and fear in everything else.

Enchanted armour: The enchanted armour Malus bears gives him a 4+ armour save

Special Rules: Scourge of Khaine: Malus may join Khainite units

Murderous rage: No one can use Malus’ LD when he has the Warpsword drawn or is using the power of Tza’rkan, he is too busy killing people to worry about his troops.

Arcane Weapons: Malus may elect to use either the dagger of Torxus, Warpsword of Khaine or his two hand weapons in combat; he is not forced to use his magical weapons.

Athlan Na Dyr: As Malekith’s personal champion, If Malus has joined a unit he must always issue and accept any challenges if he can.

Urial the Forsaken: Urial is one of my favourite characters, he has a great personality and is the perfect warrior-priest. I designed him to fit with his character in the Darkblade novels, and yet still be a reasonable character to play on the tabletop unlike Malus who is pretty unstoppable, I felt it was a shame Urial went up against Malus and that he didn't really deserve to die, until he killed Arleth Vann, at which point his fate was sealed :evil:

Urial the Forsaken

Urial the Forsaken, disciple of Khaine, is half-brother to Malus Darkblade and son of Lurhan, the Vaulkhar of Hag Graef. Upon Urial’s birth Lurhan took one look at his malformed son and ordered him to be thrown into Khaine’s bloody cauldron as a sacrifice. However, when the infant Urial was offered to Khaine, it is said the sacrificial cauldron was smote with a thunderclap and split in two. Usually those who survived the cauldron were sent to Har Ganeth to become assassins, but none as crippled as Urial had ever been spared by the Lord of Murder before, and it was obvious that he could not become a member of the Shayar Nuan. Instead, Urial was trained in the forms of magic practiced by the cult, spells of reaping and blood. When Urial was returned to the court of Hag Graef, he became the foremost agent of Khaine in the city, and carried out the secretive missions of his lords in Har Ganeth, whilst secretly pursuing his own ambition of becoming the scourge of Khaine, as he believed he was fated to be.

Urial the Forsaken (Hero):………………………………………………Points Cost: 220

M WS BS S T W I A LD
Urial 5 5 5 3 3 2 6 2 8

Equipment: Urial wears heavy armour and wields the Axe of Blood.

Khaine’s Ward: Urial and any unit he joins is immune to poison.

Axe of Blood: Grants Urial +1 attack

Disciple of Khaine: As long as Urial always accepts and offers challenges whenever he can, he doubles all wounds dealt in challenges. Tally every unsaved wound Urial inflicts, look up the score on the table below to determine what boons Khaine has granted his faithful servant, if Urial refuses or fails to offer a challenge, he loses all of these benefits.

1: Urial has +1S

2: Urial has MR 1, +2I, and +2S

4: Urial has MR2, a 4+ ward save, ASF, +2I, and +2S

8: Urial has MR3, a 4+ ward save, ASF, +2I, +3WS, +3S and frenzy giving him D6 extra attacks rather than 1. Urial can’t lose this frenzy and always charges/ pursues/ overruns.

Zealots of Khaine: Urial is always accompanied into battle by a band of Zealots, the Zealots are the true devotees of Khaine, spending every moment of their lives in the practice of killing in the name of the Lord of Murder, there are few finer warriors in all of Naggaroth. One unit of 10-20 Zealots must be included in an army containing Urial, only Urial can join the Zealots, the Zealots count as a special choice.

Zealots of Khaine: The moment these guys appeared I loved them, the true devotees of khaine, they show swordmasters what real mastery of the blade is. As with the rest I designed them to fit in with the book, they can either be fielded as an Uber-unit of 20 or a tough group of 10 (or anything inbetween obviously) and are essentially improved executioners, working in concert with Urial they are a real nightmare :twisted:

Zealots of Khaine:……………………………………Points per model: 20

M WS BS S T W I A LD
Zealot 5 6 4 4 3 1 6 1 9
Tyran 5 7 4 4 3 1 6 2 9

Equipment: Great Weapon.

Special Rules: Eternal Hatred, Killing Blow, Khainite, Always Strikes First, Unbreakable

Tyran may accompany the Zealots as their champion for:…………………………+40pts

Tyran the Unscarred: Tyran is the leader of the Zealots of Khaine, he has Heroic Killing Blow instead of Killing Blow, Tyran is exceptionally skilled with his blade, and though usually (as with the other zealots) the always strikes last of the great weapon cancels out the ASF special rule meaning that he would usually strike in initiative order, instead, Tyran ignores the ASL of his Great weapon and always strikes first, rather than in initiative order.

Note that I mentioned that they do indeed strike in initiative order unlike our cheating high-elf cousins with the exception of Tyran who isn't cheating, he is skillful 8) .

Yasmir: ahh the bride (anyone else find this abit creepy?) I tried to match her with Malus as best as possible when he has the Warpsword drawn to reflect their duel upon the bridge, as such, they have the same WS of 8, ASF I 9 and whilst Yasmir has one less strength (essentially) she also has one more attack, they also both deny armour saves, the result being that if these two came up against each other, if they didn't stop first, both would end up dead in the same instant (probably).

Yasmir - Anwyr Na Eruen

The prophesied ‘Bride of Ruin’, Yasmir is an avatar of the bloody handed god. Driven mad by the betrayal of her lover, Yasmir now solely lives to spill blood in the name of Khaine, a task she excels at. Those that meet her on the battlefield, if not struck dumb by her unearthly beauty, are struck down by her twin knives, wielded with supernatural speed and skill.

Yasmir, the Bride of Ruin (Hero):………………………………………Points Cost: 200

M WS BS S T W I A LD
Yasmir 5 8 4 3 3 2 9 4 9

Equipment: Two hand weapons

Special rules: Khainite, Eternal Hatred, Always Strikes First, Frenzy, Unbreakable

Murder Incarnate: Yasmir is adept at finding the weakest points in her enemy’s defence, no armour saves may ever be taken against attacks made by Yasmir, in addition, she has a +1 to wound bonus and may re-roll failed rolls to wound, armour is little help against a dagger in the eye.

Ruin: Yasmir lives to kill, she will kill until she dies, or no-one is left to kill, Yasmir is Unbreakable and Frenzied, she can never lose her frenzy and can never attempt to restrain charging/ pursuing/ overrunning. In addition, any unit she joins is affected with the ‘Ruin’ special rule whilst she is with them.

Unearthly Beauty: Any model attempting to attack Yasmir must pass a LD test or lose all of their attacks for this round.

So what do you think?
Last edited by Malus99 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Some changes I have considered:

Have the warpsword strike at S10 like Hellebron's Deathsword

A drawback for Tz'arkan, I want the hand weapons to be an option, something along the lines of in a unit on a 4+ his daemonic possession is discovered and he must pass an initiative test, if it is passed one model in contact is removed, if it is failed he is removed (as he flees his army to avoid retaliation for his 'weakness)?

I have no idea about the points totals.

Urial's wounds upped to 3 and changing around what he gets for his disciple of khaine, both what and when.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Wow!!!

Fantastic work mate! You have put a mammoth amount of effort and thought into these rules and personally I think that you've managed to capture a great deal of character reflected rules.

Well Done!

Personally I can't find too much wrong with them. I think the points values are very realistic especially for Malus and reflect what a killing machine he is at this time.

Glad I read this thread!

Cheers!
H :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

hainzy wrote:Wow!!!

Fantastic work mate! You have put a mammoth amount of effort and thought into these rules and personally I think that you've managed to capture a great deal of character reflected rules.

Well Done!

Personally I can't find too much wrong with them. I think the points values are very realistic especially for Malus and reflect what a killing machine he is at this time.

Glad I read this thread!

Cheers!
H :twisted:

:oops: awww thanks! glad you like them! :D
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Looking over them I can see you have put quite a bit of thought into this. To be honest though I think Malus needs a bit of tweaking, particularly when it comes to his war gear.

Setting aside that there is too much of it (more or less inevitable I suppose) I have a few points.

Idol of Kolkuth: Too complex, certainly more so than it needs to be. I would cut out the Ld test bit. To balance this, and also because I think it makes more sense and fits in better with usual rules, I would also make it so that Malus cannot use it whilst in combat. Using the Idol takes a great deal of concentration and is difficult at the best of times, the midst of a bloody melee with a centagor stabbing wildly at you is far from the best of times.

Dagger of Torxus: Far too powerful for one reason, it is an instant mage killer. Very few mages can get an armour save, if they have one in the front rank Malus can kill them on a roll of 3+ with nothing they can possibly do about it. This has a very simple solution, don't let him use the dagger as a throwing weapon, it seems an odd thing to do in any case, lobbing a priceless magical artefact into a mob of enemies.

Warp Sword: I am not sure what was wrong with the old rules. It is allot to remember without constantly checking his rules, the same applies to Tazarkan.

Also I am not sure why he only has three attacks; four would seem more natural for a dark elf highborn.

The others seem well thought out and quite balanced, though obviously that needs proper play testing to see for sure. Just some thoughts.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

thanks for the post Drainial, my opinions are:

Idol of Kolkuth: Yes I will cut out the option to use it in close combat, that was abit daft of me, as for the LD test, firstly it fits the fluff, immense willpower is needed to control the idol or it will hurl you into the abyss, and secondly I want some risk to using it so that Malus doesn't just teleport everywhere whenevr he wants, it needs to be dangerous. Alternatively I could just make it one use only, but I think the LD test is more fluffy.

Dagger of Torxus: Yes, the option to throw it was another of my daft rules, I just did it to represent the way Malus banished Tz'arkan, I will remove that option.

Warp sword: What was wrong with the old rules was that they didn't turn malus into a blood-seeking, psychopathic killing machine.

Firstly I wanted to bring the warpsword and Tz'arkan more in line with the fluff in that they cannot be used together, it is one or the other, because Tz'arkan is of Slaanesh and the Warpsword is of Khaine, the way the warpsword counteracts Tz'arkan's influence was a major story catalyst in the novels so I wanted to add that in. Secondly, I wanted to give some balance between the two options, I wanted them to both be useful and relatively equal, with Tz'arkan making Malus a good all rounder by improving his resistance aswell as fighting power, where as the warpsword has no regard for safety and is just for all-out destruction. To reflect their equality, I made the warpsword give bonuses in the same way as Tz'arkan in order to equate them better. As noted in the section on Yasmir, I also needed to make the warpsword-equipped Malus equal to Yasmir to reflect their duel on the bridge, which the original warpsword rules didn't.

Tz'arkan: I added in the psychology rules to fit with the fluff in the novels, horses panic around him and even a daemon quailed in terror before the might of Tz'arkan-possessed Malus. I removed the frenzy and murderous rage because Malus seems to be quite in control of and aware of himself when he is using Tz'arkan. I made a mistake in increasing the WS bonus by 1 but I didn't see any reason for the +1 LD bonus, and he is LD 10 now anyways. I still need to give Tz'arkan a drawback, murderous rage having been transferred onto the warpsword

He has four attacks because I was working from the original hero profile, I agree he should have 4.

Thanks for your ideas, I will begin editing immediately
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

A simple way to add a drawback to Tzarkan would be to give him stupidity when using him to represent the fact that Tzarkan does occasionally try to take control (I think, it has been a while since I read the books and even then only up to lord of ruin)
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

stupidity would be very fluffy, but it is not as dangerous as the warpsword's drawbacks in uncontrollable frenzy and the chance of cutting Malus or his allies to pieces if there are no enemies around. I think stupidity is a good aparallell to the frenzy of the warpsword, so now there needs to be a risk to Malus himself from using Tz'arkan. I'll brood on it overnight and see what I can come up with to go along with the stupidity. Thanks Drainial!
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!