Interlinking Fluff Ideas

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Night rider
Shade

Interlinking Fluff Ideas

Post by Night rider »

To help provide me with some motivation and guidance on my armies (especially now that I've found around 120 Dwarf models from when I was playing in mid 6th Ed) I've been trying to work on interlinking fluff connecting the three armies I plan to collect (Druchii, Dwarfs - what's their in universe name? - and Skaven).

Barebones is:

Druchii.
The House of Teslanar.
~ They're originally from Chrace, in keeping with their heritage there to be worthy of the family name family members had to kill a Lion of Chrace, following the Sundering they maintained that tradition necessitating them to slip back to Chrace and it became acceptable to prove their worth by killing White Lions.
~ The current leaders of the family are a sibling trio, who're a bit closer and more protective of each other because their parents were killed by Skaven Assassins when they were in their 20s.

Skaven.
Currently thinking a clan found its way to the New World, emerging in the Blackspine Mountains attracted by the monsters and possible warp-stone deposits. Since the House of Teslanar often goes hunting in that areaI figure in that situation it's easy to imagine how a rivalry between the House of Teslanar and the Skaven Clan would have got started.

Dwarfs
I'm not quite sure how to forge a connection yet. The Dwarfs being an Old World civilisation.
A thought that comes to mind is a Druchii raid on a Dwarf Mine or Tavern, where a Dwarf Thane was slain by a member of the House of Teslanar in a duel (what proud Druchii would sully his good name by refusing a challenge from a Dwarf?) where the Thane was brought down by some 'ignoble' means (poison blade or something) and had his beard cut off.
Figured that'd be enough for it to be a grudge Dwarfs feel honour bound to avenge, probably sufficiently to make a small clan to move to Barrak Varr to get a better chance to do so.

That all sound good and believable?
Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
danceman wrote:I can just imagine Dave Attenborough going;

"...and as you can see the Alpha male moves with a commanding presence among the herd, ever watchful for any competing male who would challenge his mating-rights." :D
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

DE and Skaven being aggressive voyagers, and Dwarfs being selfish and reluctant to abandon anything which belong once to them (even in a remote past), it should not be difficult to find many reasons for them to fight bitterly against each other. The reasons you provide are fine.

I initially thought that you wanted to connect them in a positive way, in order to be able to play a combined force against a friend. That would be more challenging!

Why do you need to connect negatively your armies, when they are not supposed to meet on the battlefield (as you are the one who play them)?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Night rider
Shade

Post by Night rider »

Calisson wrote:DE and Skaven being aggressive voyagers, and Dwarfs being selfish and reluctant to abandon anything which belong once to them (even in a remote past), it should not be difficult to find many reasons for them to fight bitterly against each other. The reasons you provide are fine.

Okay, that's good.

Calisson wrote:I initially thought that you wanted to connect them in a positive way, in order to be able to play a combined force against a friend. That would be more challenging!

That sure would be challenging...
Druchii and Skaven would work, briefly, but can't see Dwarfs joining either even for a moment.

Calisson wrote:Why do you need to connect negatively your armies, when they are not supposed to meet on the battlefield (as you are the one who play them)?

Well I like the concept of having fluff for each as a motivator to get things done on them. As for the negative link, I think it's a subconscious thing to keep me focused on these three (since I like a lot of armies, having a fluff that leads me back to the main trio might keep me on them not getting swept up in the latest release).

"...and as you can see the Alpha male moves with a commanding presence among the herd, ever watchful for any competing male who would challenge his mating-rights." :D
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: Interlinking Fluff Ideas

Post by Dalamar »

Night Rider wrote:Dwarfs - what's their in universe name?

Dawi

Night Rider wrote:what proud Druchii would sully his good name by refusing a challenge from a Dwarf?

Refusing a challenge from a lesser race sullies nobody's honor. Accepting a challenge and fighting fair would.

Night Rider wrote:Barrak Varr to get a better chance to do so.

Barak Varr is the only dwarven port so it makes sense for it to be staging grounds for attacks on the Druchii (failed attacks mind you, no fleet ever assaulted Naggaroth and returned to tell the tale... and only one ever actually managed to land)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Night rider
Shade

Re: Interlinking Fluff Ideas

Post by Night rider »

Dalamar wrote:
Night Rider wrote:Dwarfs - what's their in universe name?

Dawi

Dalamar wrote:
Night Rider wrote:what proud Druchii would sully his good name by refusing a challenge from a Dwarf?

Refusing a challenge from a lesser race sullies nobody's honor. Accepting a challenge and fighting fair would.

Whoever said anything about fighting fair? ;)

Dalamar wrote:
Night Rider wrote:Barrak Varr to get a better chance to do so.

Barak Varr is the only dwarven port so it makes sense for it to be staging grounds for attacks on the Druchii (failed attacks mind you, no fleet ever assaulted Naggaroth and returned to tell the tale... and only one ever actually managed to land)

An excellent point there, gotta consider that.