A Brief History: the Sarathai

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Silic
Noble

A Brief History: the Sarathai

Post by Silic »

For some time now, I've been playing a Dark Elf army based on a rogue faction of Druchii who have fled from Malekith and now live far to the south. I do like to play "by the fluff," and I do my best to remember to put in reminders when I post army lists and the like. For the Animosity 5 online campaign, I wrote up a history of these elves and their society, and that helped clear up some of the misconceptions about my army to my fellow campaigners. For some odd reason, I didn't post it here. After a bit of updating of the history, an examination of the Sarathai society can be found below.

There is some missing parts (namely religion), which I hope to include the next time I revisit the text. Thanks for reading!

The Tower of the Sarathai

Overview

For years uncounted, the armies of the Druchii of Naggaroth have pillaged and raided the coasts of the world. From Cathay to Brettonia, from the Chaos Wastes to Araby, they are seen as that which must be feared and guarded against. The Druchii strike from swiftly moving ships and massive Black Arks, killing and enslaving whoever they come across. Their intent is twofold; to sow terror and discontent across the world, and to reap the joys of this loathing for their enemies. Indeed, the Druchii race has earned its place in the world, and rightly so.

However, there are those that see this campaign of fear as nothing more than a waste of resources and ability… and more importantly, a ruse to keep a long weakened and corrupted king in power. To some, the glaring idea is that the Druchii people have yet to reclaim Ulthuan, have not expanded their empire except through cold and uninhabited lands, and have made deals that put the entire race under the thumb of others. To this day, Ulthuan remains in possession of their arrogant and pathetic cousins, the Druchii live in exile, and an unspoken alliance with the powers of Chaos exists… and this has caused resentment. This anger and frustration could not be spoken aloud, of course, especially in the courts of the Witch King. But over many centuries, those Druchii that held these thoughts inside slowly began a migration out of Malekith’s sphere of influence. Those Druchii unhappy with imperial stagnation and subservience fled to the wilds of Naggaroth, and attempted an existence without weakness and corruption.

In time, these refugees found solace with the Shade Clans. Long since exiled from the great cities, the Shades are an ancient house of Druchii that found the wilds of Naggaroth far more comfortable than the rule of others. Slowly, the Shades accepted these other self-exiles (perhaps reluctantly) as kin. It was here, in the wildest lands of Naggaroth and (reasonably) protected that the rattle of discontent was spread.

Of course, the spreading of ideas in exceptionally hard to track, but three resonating points were displayed during this time.

A. The taint of Chaos interferes in Druchii affairs. Long ago, Morathi corrupted Malekith into being nothing more than a pawn of chaotic entities. Morathi and her Cult of Pleasure have undermined the entire culture of the Druchii, making them care more about indulging desires than the noble causes of Naggarythe’s children. It is because of this that the Druchii have contented themselves with raiding the weak.

B. Though the Druchii are vicious and fierce, they are not bloodthirsty, as the current stigma against them has described. This “bloodthirst” is a byproduct of Chaos-induced raids (described before); the outcast Druchii value the moderation and control of this fierceness over its indulgence.

C. Weakness is shown through the succumbing to emotion blindingly. This idea stems both from the Asur’s showing of arrogance and elite-ness, as well as the larger Druchii culture’s value placed on savagery.

It was during this time that a Druchii began traveling between the various Shade families. His message was one of open rebellion against Morathi and her Chaos cohort, and if Malekith could not be saved, he would need to be replaced. He went by many given names, including the Shadow, the Visioned, and the Grey Lord, and was known for his abilities in shadow magic just as much as for his strong words of open rebellion.

Naturally, the lords of Naggaroth heard the rumors of agitators in the wild lands. Fearing the worst and knowing they could do nothing if Naggarond responded, the rebels fled farther south. Under the guidance of the Grey Lord, the newly named Sarathai (literally, the elvish rune for defiance) traveled through the Doom Glades, past the colony of Arnheim, and across the Straits of Fear to the Viper Mountains. It was in these travels that the first semblances of a society and culture were formed.

They arrived to an uninhabited place with minimal land available for food sources. The high mountains rose up against the ocean, leaving only small strips of flat land at the base. However, the tall cliffs and rocking sea made the area extremely defensible. Here, the Sarathai began their campaign to liberate the Druchii people from the clench of Chaos.

The Sarathai bored into the mountain range, fighting back the small pockets of Skaven and goblins that occupied the natural tunnels. The tunnels were expanded slowly, with typical elven precision and styles. Eventually, a series of docks were added. These procedures have allowed the community to feel a strong sense of security while still being connected to the outside world.

Most recently (and perhaps most important and symbolic), a tall tower was constructed on the mountain top at the tip of the Viper Mountains. Made of a black stone mined from the mountain recesses, the Tower (formally, “The Tower of the Sarathai) spires along its center until reaching a thin balcony at the top (the seat of the Grey Lord). The Tower serves as a governmental center and meeting hall, as well as a signal to the world of the Sarathai’s rise in the world. Colloquially, Sarathai use the term “the Tower” to describe both the physical construction and the government.

As the community expands, it has reached a point where it is able to send out emissaries and garner support for its cause. (Note the current political climate detailed below.)

Political Climate

Still in its infant stages, the Druchii of the Tower find themselves first needing to clear the stigma associated with their race. This has required the Tower to dispatch small emissaries to various entities across the world, including Cathay, Nippon, Albion, and the Maderasari of Athel Sarn. The Tower is keen to find allies against Malekith, which requires little if the Druchii emissaries are allowed within speaking distance.

The Nippon emissaries returned with no success. They were turned away at the coast by flaming projectiles. The Albion expedition has yet to return and are feared dead after rumors of an invasion by many differing races for control of the island. From Cathay, the emissary faired better. Support to or from the people of Cathay was left un-promised, but a sense of parallelism between the Sarathai and Cathay cultures was established. Unable to offer much in the way of trade, the Grey Lord has taken to sending constant ambassadors to keep the Emperor of Cathay informed of the Sarathai’s actions; the hope is to convince Cathay to support the Tower through philosophy rather than wealth or might.

The expedition to the Maderasari within the forests of Estalia arrived amidst a boiling war. After a year of fighting together, the bond between the cousins was reforged. The Maderasari opened themselves up to the outside world and the Sarathai were accepted as official allies. While most returned to the Tower, some military forces of the Sarathai, along with Lord Akerith Kor (the expedition commander and shadow mage), stayed with their new allies and bolstered the depleted armies of the Maderasari.

Hierarchy

A formal dictation of the hierarchy of life under the Tower is impossible, as, in times of such deprivation, all skills of work are viewed as equally important. The farmers and cultivators (traditionally a lower class of people) are viewed as performing a vital work for the betterment of the society as a whole. The merchants (a traditional mid to high social class) find their place to be something akin to spokesmen for the farmers, of which they would not exist without. Indeed the only people that seem to have a semblance of inequality in the social structure are those in permanent military service (and then, only when these persons have just returned from performing a service). Upon returning from a campaign, serving soldiers can expect additional rations and free time to pursue what they wish. (While some see this act as a reward, others see it as reimbursing a traveling soldier for what he was kept from during the campaign.)

The fear of repercussions, even (perhaps especially) when the fear is self-inflicted, serves to join the culture together with a sense of unity, societal growth and preservation that is larger unseen in the world.

It must be noted, however, that the societal hierarchy mentioned above is nearly absent in those serving under permanent military doctrine. In times of service, all rank and title conditions are enforced to the extreme.

Military

The Tower’s inability to field large numbers of troops has led to their need to preserve all that they can. This had led to a guerilla style of warfare, focusing on swift, direct attacks at the most important of an enemy’s abilities. During the initial feuds with the Skaven of the Viper Mountains, the Sarathai were able to win by arrowing their attacks in the center of the Skaven line, tearing through the clanrats and killing the warlord in command. Without a leader, the remaining Skaven broke and fled.

In battle, efficiency and support are the means by which the Sarathai fight their enemies. The infantry lines are instructed in both swords and shields and repeater crossbows. Serving as both ranged combatants and light anvil units, the infantry officers must be consistently aware of their position in relation to the rest of the battle line.

Taking the military teachings of the Shade clan, the most athletic of the community are instructed as scouting parties. These are combined with various Shade families that left Naggaroth along with the Sarathai and form the flankers and information gatherers of the military.

More than one outcast has tagged along with the rebels, and male sorcerers seem to find existence with the Sarathai much more acceptable than a hidden life under the gaze of Malekith. Male practitioners, regardless of what Wind of magic they follow, have migrated to the Tower where they are predominately assigned to military duties.

The settings of the Tower are not able to house the more exotic beasts of current Druchii armies. Manticores, hydras, harpies and cold ones are absent, and a “fix” does not appear currently desired. The Sarathai are currently employing what steeds they have as heavy cavalry along with their more suited role as unarmoured scouting units and flank harassments.

The Sarathai’s military doctrines are centered on having the best person working in any specific role. The challenge system the Druchii of Naggarond foster is still in existence with the Sarathai military, though the Sarathai have injected what they consider a more “honorable” approach. Challenges between an officer and his subordinates are allowed and encouraged to an extent, though all challenges are expected to be made while the higher-up is not weakened by any outside factor. In the end, the purpose of this system is to make certain the best leader is in the position of power, and no one (society, other soldiers, or the challenger) would permit this exchange if they felt they were substandard.

All members of the community are required to partially serve in military service. Training takes up one third of a person’s time per week, and they are tutored by the more learned and military-minded of the community.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Sounds interesting, but also a little like Tau. I'd like to hear more of your army's backstory
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

This is very interesting! If I understand it correctly you have Elves who are still Druchii, but who are wholly against the corruption of the race by Chaos, resulting in their standing against Malekith - but only if he cannot be somehow freed from his mother's pernicious influence. So they would not perceive themselves as disloyal, even though other Druchii might do so. They are highly militaristic, with an emphasis on honour and more of a regard for personal integrity than for politics, and a return to the more traditional Elven ideals of equality and service to the group, so that there is a much less sharp divide between the social classes except with regard to military hierarchy.

One of the things I liked about the Malus Darkblade books was the occasional resurgence of atavistic traits like self-sacrifice or altruism, which are part of the Elven spectrum but not fostered by typical Druchii society. I like this idea that they are still liable to surface occasionally. I'm very much more a Nurture rather than Nature kind of person, so I would tend to believe that if one took a newborn infant Druchii away from Naggaroth it could be raised as any other kind of Elf, and I have no problem accepting that Druchii could form an alternative to the kind of society they have now (political difficulties notwithstanding). So I'd be keen to read more if you have it! :D
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

You've hit it on the head, Syjahel. Someone once described the Sarathai as "more Nagarythe, less Naggaroth", which I think suits the idea very well. I think of it as a corruption (both literal and symbolic) of what the Dark Elves once were, and this is something that would be noticed by any given Dark Elf.

Even taking into account GW's overall stagnant world, the idea that the Druchii people would be content to indulge / make pacts with chaos / busy themselves with raiding seems to miss the mark on their goal of ultimate revenge, and each theme seems to fly in the face of typical elven standards (of course, Druchii are not "typical" elves, but they are from the same line and heritage).

I could add in an overview of the Sarathai army and how they operate (styles, titles, etc) if desired. I haven't fleshed out the history enough to put names and dates to the events of the founding, but I am tempted to do just that.

Thanks for reading!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Always nice to see an army with a well thought out background; more so since it is a rebel army (I have a soft spot for such, my own is one albeit of a very different kind). I am not sure you can characterise Druchii society as having constant pacts with chaos, I can think of only one major event (well two but the second was ret coned) where Malekith actually became involved. Still I appreciate where you are coming from.
P.S. For future reference this sort of thing should go in Druchii History.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Moved to History of the Druchii.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Meteor
Executioner

Re: A Brief History: the Sarathai

Post by Meteor »

Silic wrote:However, there are those that see this campaign of fear as nothing more than a waste of resources and ability… and more importantly, a ruse to keep a long weakened and corrupted king in power.

Ouch, a badass villain just got hit hard.

I do like the concept of your idea however, and it does make sense DE wouldn't be content with spending most of their time raiding when they should be plotting to put a stop to skirt wearing elves.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Skirt wearing Elves?? What, ladies? Like your dear Captain? :p

I've long been of the opinion that now that five thousand years spent honing a civilisation for warfare and vengeance have passed, there's a case to be made that Malekith has to keep his people at war, because the focus of an external threat is all that is keeping the Druchii from tearing each other apart. It would be one way to explain why Malekith has yet to win. He can no longer afford to deal with the effects of victory. People wouldn't know what to do with themselves. Creating a vast number of power-hungry, violent, megalomaniacal murderous killers with expensive tastes is all very well when you have someone else to point them at. Perhaps Malekith has focussed so heavily on the winning that he does not know how to survive the peace.

I'm sorry, this is a bit of a digression; and anyway peace never lasts in the Warhammer world. :D But someone who saw that a lifestyle focussed on victory at all costs was opening a door to Chaos could well find themselves loyal to Naggaroth (and more likely Nagarythe), but not to the Witch King. Maybe they would also find the Sarathai appealing?

I could add in an overview of the Sarathai army and how they operate (styles, titles, etc) if desired. I haven't fleshed out the history enough to put names and dates to the events of the founding, but I am tempted to do just that.

Please do! I would find this very interesting :D
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Apologies for the misplacement of the post.

Thank you for the showing of support, all. Sometimes I feel mathammer takes over the game, and I try to keep the story out in front.

The point about being pawns of Chaos stems from the idea of the Cult of Slannesh (mainly, though the treaty with northern marauders can be included): For many centuries, the Cult has existed and grown, and any elven society with this knowledge would put rooting out the cultists a priority above most things. Granted Malekith has made a show of digging them out while secretly supporting them, I would think the populace would be driven insane if they felt the cult still thrived (especially for so long).

One thing I struggle with concerning this type of society would be, after these times of such desperation, how long would the society survive in its current state? Meaning, if a full empire were to be established and prosper, how long would the ideals of unity and honor and all that survive before intrigue and semblances of greed take over? Philosophical thought, and may have to wait until later to figure this out.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Military overview is finished. I've broken the units down into their fluff titles and the in-game titles for ease of understanding. This is the first time I've written most of this down (been floating in my head for some time), so please point out anything that might need changing. Cheers!

Raven Knights (CoK) - The Raven Knights are the heavy cavalry of the Sarathai, shock elements armed with thin elven lances. The heavy armour on both mount and rider means the elven steeds are noticeably unsuited to carry such weights. Originally scout horses stolen from Arnheim, the mounts of the Raven Knights are still being bred to carry the necessary weight, and only subsequent successful generations will see the stress on the mounts diminish completely. Currently, one can occasionally see a Knight’s mount struggle over a piece of terrain, holding up the battle line and perhaps missing an opportune time to charge into the enemy’s ranks. When all goes smoothly, however, the charge of the Raven Knights can obliterate units in a spearhead of lances and steel.

Raven Heralds (DR) - Racing ahead of the main army, the Heralds hamper the advance of the enemy and pelt their ranks with crossbow fire. The Raven Heralds are covered in thin black silks that meld into the landscape and allow them to come upon the enemy largely unseen. Once battle-lines clash, the Heralds swing behind the enemy and charge into warmachines and exposed flanks with swift spears. The original mounts of the Heralds were thin horses used to flee the cities of Malekith and, later on, the fleeting remains of cavalry used by the Shade Clans. The mounts’ light frames allow them to excel in maneuverability even among the rocky region of the Viper Mountains.

Raven Guard (Corsairs) - The elite guards of the Sarathai, the halls of the Tower and the culture’s most important buildings are patrolled by bands of Raven Guard. When war calls them, the Raven Guard are sent to protect the fragile casters and warmachines of the Sarathai. Armed with swift swords and daggers and wielding handbows amongst their cloaks of sea dragon scales, these soldiers are well-known amongst the Sarathai’s enemies as elegant fighters, fading back and forth in combat and wielding steel and bolts together expertly. Their studies emphasize defensive fighting and, in contrast to typical Sarathai values, the safeguard of those unable to help themselves.

Tower Guard (Crossbows) – Each citizen under the leadership of the Tower is required to partially serve in military service. When not farming or building or trading, the citizens are tutored by officers in the ways of war. These soldiers train in both sword and shield, and in the firing of the repeater crossbow. These units are aptly titled the Tower Guard, as they form the base for which the army, and society, can wage war.

Shades – The warbands of Shades are prowling soldiers who excel is silent, hidden warfare. The title of Shade is an obvious allusion to the Shade Clans, and indeed a few of the Shades of the Sarathai are actual members of the Shade clan who have joined with the Sarathai, seeing a chance to regain their standing in the world. The rest are keen pathfinders and those Sarathai that have a natural love of the shadows in the world. The Shades are the information gatherers of the Sarathai, responsible for tracking any invaders into Sarathain territory. They are equipped with repeater crossbows and swift swords and wear cloaks that cover most of their bodies. When able, the Shades strike from the shadows and pluck off the soft elements of the enemy; magic users, ambassadors, and warmachine crew members.

Grey Guard (BG) - The largest and strongest of the Sarathai are trained in the use of vicious halberds. They are extensively armoured in thick plates, and the Grey Guard form a unit of solid, whirling steel on the battlefield. The extreme cost to create the arms and armaments for these units is such a strain on the society that the Tower has been known to step in and gather large groups of skilled smiths together for some time with the sole purpose of creating a new unit’s necessaries. The physical requirements and heavy cost mean very few Grey Guard units exist in the armies of the Sarathai.

Reaper Bolt Thrower - In typical elven fashion, bolt throwers are used as the Sarathai’s sole warmchine. The crews of the Reapers are keen eyed and tasked with bringing down those monsters that would otherwise run wild among the ranks of the Sarathai. They are constructed from petrified wood from the north, from the forests outside of Arnheim. Without proper guilds dedicated to creating these warmachines, the number of bolt throwers the Sarathai are able to field is minimal.
Last edited by Silic on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Highlord (Dreadlord) - title given to military leaders overseeing multiple contingents. When the threat is great enough that the need arises to combine multiple divisions into a single army, the Commanders convene to elect a Highlord to command the war effort. Highlords are typically selected for both their strategic prowess and their physical skills of battle. The Highlord is tasked with ensuring the will of the Tower is carried out and any threat is broken. During wartime, the words of the Highlord are law; his responsibility is to the benefit of the Tower, and it is the difficulty of his choices that must be respected.

Commander (Noble) - officers assigned to command any number of regiments or divisions. Commanders are selected from amongst those under permanent military service that have shown an aptitude for both leadership and cool thought. They must display both the physical strength to lead from the front of battle, and the dedication to the Tower required by society. The title of ‘Commander’ pertains to the strategist, the army’s standard bearer, and those that have risen to ‘champion’ status amongst the community. Commanders are given to protecting the borders of the Sarathai, whether that be on land or at sea (where they are titled Commandants).

Sorcerer – The Sarathai who fled the great cities of Naggaroth were initially accompanied by a series of male sorcerers escaping the gaze and paranoia of Malekith. These sorcerers were a welcome addition to the Sarathai, as their abilities were paramount to securing the new nation. Over time, the Grey Lord saw fit to send agents back to Naggaroth to actively recruit sorcerers, offering them a place to live freely and without stigma. It is a risky prospect for both sides, but necessary if the Tower is to expand.

The Sorcerers of the Sarathai are practitioners of many different winds of magic. Users of Metal and Fire, Death and Dark magics are seen throughout the empire. While all have their role in war, the predominance of Shadow is obvious to the Tower. The sheer inability to field large hosts of war means the skills of the Shadow mages is much sought after by the Highlords.

Most recently, the mages of the Sarathai have begun to weave magic into large constructs of stone and steel. These weapons fill a crucial strategic hole in the army and are becoming more and more commonplace amongst the marching Sarathai. The terms for these creations are many, and include the “Constructs”, the “Terrors”, and the “Hydras”.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Once again I think you're doing a very sound job of creating a militaristic, but non-Naggarothi society. I can't see any gaps in the logic so far.

One thing I'd like to know more about: I don't think I see any mention of slaves. Do the Sarathai use them? I can see why they would not (abhorrent to the ancestral Elven psyche) and why they might (economic reasons), but I would be inclined to favour Do Not Use myself :)
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Hm, slavery isn't something I had thought about. My instinct says that they would not (the cowards way of doing labor, or something) but I may have to work with that idea.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I would have thought that as a people who are not very numerous and one that have been long accustomed to slaves doing the dirtiest and most unpleasant jobs as well as the menial ones I think that they probably would use slaves. On the other hand as they are so disgusted with raiding they would perhaps do so only until those that they have at the minuet run out (read die).
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Drainial wrote:I would have thought that as a people who are not very numerous and one that have been long accustomed to slaves doing the dirtiest and most unpleasant jobs as well as the menial ones I think that they probably would use slaves. On the other hand as they are so disgusted with raiding they would perhaps do so only until those that they have at the minuet run out (read die).

Hm, menial tasks are most likely accomplished by a combination of laborers (those Sarathai not able enough to perform other tasks) and constructs(for the heavy lifting). I'm slowing feeling that an emphasis on constructs would be appropriate addition to the lore (making up for manpower).

Note: The Sarathai do conduct raids. I would say the difference between Sarathai and Druchii are that Druchii raid to amass wealth and power, etc, (contenting themselves with the wealth and power) while Sarathai conduct raids as a tool of war / enhance the abilities of warfare (furthering a goal).
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I'm suprised you don't have a few escaped adepts of khaine with you (assassins) who either are tired of the life, or see corruption in the only life they ever knew.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Hm, what do you mean by 'escaped'? Are males dedicated to Khaine stuck there?

I haven't used an assassin in a while now, but the simplest explanation would just be glorified warriors.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Perhaps 'escaped' in the sense of having left the Temple, but not the worship of Khaine - that is, disillusioned with the political misuse of what they see as Khaine's holy work? I don't think assassins are stuck in the Temle as such, just that it is, as saint says, the only life they know. They're pretty much indoctrinated from birth so far as I can tell (or to put it another way, raised with complete dedicaion to Khaine) :)
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Ah, that could certainly work. As Saint said, the assassins would see a more "pure" approach to Khaine's work. I may be doing a small update above. Thanks to you both!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

More or less what Syjael said is what I was thinking. I read th Malus books, so that got the ideas going, but if an assassin were to leave the temple of Khaine, I can see one of three reasons.

1. Greed. Why would they need to put up with the temple, and deal with the threat of backstabbing 24/7 (or however long days and weeks are in Warhammer) and find a cushier job with someone that has a deed purse,

2. They see that the Temple is corrupted, for one reason or another, Morathie And Helebron being too big candidates, and are tired of the only life they ever knew having been a shame for those two. It's one thing to kill for the Lord of Murder's glory, it's another when it's a large scale cat fight with two golden girls.

3. The least likely, but they grew tired of killing. Maybe because they grew a conscience before someone could lop off their head, but are other wise tired of being murders. They can still kill, and they are still wonderful spies, but lost the taste for it.

In any case, I doubt the temple would like such a defection, so they would need to escape out of it's grasp.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Beginning to work on a timeline. Slowly but surely.

All dates use the Imperial Calendar for ease of reference. The Dark Elves themselves reckon the passing of years from the founding of Naggaron (IC -2722). So, to calculate dates using the Druchii system, simply add 2723 years to the Imperial date.

All dates supplied are of note to the founding and cultivation of the Sarathai.

-4461- Aenarion, the first Phoenix King, rescues the seeress Morathi from an army of Chaos daemons. They make their court in the fortress of Anlec.

-4458- Morathi bears Aenarion a child, Malekith.

-4419- Aenarion is slain at the Battle of the Isle of the Dead. Malekith is passed over as the new Phoenix King.

-2789- Malekith begins his great period of exploring the world. In the northern wasteland, he finds the Circlet of Iron in the ancient ruins of Vorshgar.

-2774- Malekith returns to Ulthuan to lead the war against the Cults of Excess. He denounces his own mother as a traitor.

-2751- Malekith announces the suicide of Bel Shanaar and seeks to claim the Phoenix Crown. He is hideously burnt by the Flame of Asuryan.

-2740- The Naggarothi are pushed from the Inner Kingdoms.

-2723- The Sundering. The Naggarothi escape upon the Black Arks and travel west.

-2722- Naggarond is founded.

-2630-2219- The Druchii return and hold northern Ulthuan. The High Elves eventually succeed in pushing the Druchii from the northern coast.

-2200- The High Elves reclaim the Blighted Isles.

-2201- Army commanders fearing for their lives after their defeat take refuge in Hag Graef. Malekith’s ability to lead is openly questioned by some, which leads to several murders of the agitators.

-1666- An army of chaos sweeps down from the Wastes to besiege Ghrond. Malekith summons a relief force and defeats the chaos spawn. Some speculate that Morathi and her convent had summoned the Chaos host, eventually drawing too much and losing control of the daemons.

-1599- The Druchii return to Ulthuan upon two Black Arks. Anlec is rebuilt and the Druchii regain control of the island’s north.

-696- The Druchii are driven from the shores as Anlec is destroyed. While most return to Naggarond, some refuse to answer Malekith’s order and begin to ply the waters off Lustria.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Good to see more of this! :) I'll be interested to see how they develop in parallel with the rest of Naggoroth.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Update. Finally getting into the nitty-gritty of the timeline.

-400- A make-shift Druchii settlement on the coast of Lustria is decimated after an attack by the Lizardmen of the jungle. No survivors find their way to Naggaroth.

-189- Several Druchii fleets join with Chaos-worshipping longboats to raid Nipponese coastal towns. Malekith is said to have met personally with the Tzeentchite warlord and allocated the spoils before departing.

-2- The Shade family is officially ousted as the ruling family of Clar Karond. They make their way to the cold wilderness of Naggaroth and struggle to survive.

176- Malekith begins to build a line of defensive towers on Naggaroth’s northern border.

211- The watch towers prove their worth as a chaos army of Khorne is destroyed before it can reach any Druchii city. Those humans captured after the battle are sent to Ghrond to serve Morathi’s purposes.

499- Malekith begins to rekindle the cults of excess within Ulthuan. Some snuff at the Witch King’s use of this tool, while others support his way of turning the High Elves’ weakness against them.

516- Several groups of Druchii are uncovered within the great cities participating in sacrifices to debaucherous gods. The Valynkr of Hag Graef and Har Ganeth call for purges of the city; political pressures cease any investigations.

518- Khainites in Har Ganeth clash with masked assailants outside of the Grand Temple. The attackers include both humans and elves, and are easily butchered on the steps of the temple. Some witnesses suggest the attackers literally threw themselves on the blades of the Executioners.

631- Druchii scholars finish mapping the whole of Naggaroth, reaching from the Chaos Wastes to the jungles of Lustria.

796- A Druchii fleet, hunting a chaos fleet of Nurgle, is able to pin their prey amongst a series of small islands in the north. On the night of the attack, half of the Druchii fleet, those from Ghrond, turn and sail off, leaving the remaining corsairs to fight off a viscous counter-attack. The move was thought to be political until a survivor recounted seeing Ghrond’s flagship in anchor with the chaos fleet.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

There are a lot of hints at mysteries and power plays behind the scenes in this one. Very Druchii. Do you ever think of writing some stories to go with the Sarathai background?
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Silic
Noble

Re: A Brief History: the Sarathai

Post by Silic »

Revival! I've returned to the hobby and am bringing back my Dark Elf host. I'm reading through the army book currently and have ET Khaine next up. I am heavily leaning on the idea of a Eternity King army with wood elves but have not set this in stone. Fluff suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going over these dusty models, cleaning up the paint and adjusting the scheme from a grey army unifier to purple. Pictures and fluff to follow.