9th Edition Rumours

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: 9th Edition Rumours

Post by Amboadine »

Makiwara wrote:Second, I think I'm going to have to build a Mannfred and shoot him with my hunting rifle. Damn it Mannfred!

Indeed. Damn it Mannfred.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

In defence of Mannfred... it's not all his fault.

Assuming the worst (which I don't), these others should also be indicted for being accessories to the death of WFB as we knew it. Massive spoilers ensue, for anyone who hasn't read the End Times books.

[+] SPOILER
Morathi and Tyrion (co-defendants) - You deliberately wrecked the Great Unbinding. Way to go, hotshots. Now we have to identify the other four Incarnates and get them to see things our way before we can do anything.

Balthasar Gelt - Aside from having a contemptibly weak ribcage, his fall to necromancy meant that the Auric Bastion fell with him. This in turn resulted in most of the Empire being overrun far more quickly than would otherwise have happened. The new Grand Theogonist also has to wear a fair bit of blame for this, since he was the one who pulled the Sigmarite priests from the Bastion, but Gelt's corruption meant a lot of Gold Wizards were persecuted as well - meaning the wall could not be maintained for as long, as the current support mages were burning out frequently.

Archaon - Couldn't deal with reading the wrong book and decided to destroy the world as a result. Really. Most people grow out of that stage at about 21, or possibly a bit later if they've done a humanities/liberal arts degree.*

Boromir sums it up nicely:

Walach Harkon - The Glottkin would not have had anywhere near as easy a time if the Emperor hadn't been cut out of the skies by a traitorous vampire (I'm seeing a theme here).

Nurgle, the Glottkin, the Maggoth Lords and Gutrot Spume (co-defendants) - While we're at it, their failed invasions would have been stopped a lot earlier if not for the idiocy of various other accused. Papa Nurgle gets indicted for his plague jar MacGuffins and his use of Isabella von Carstein to counter the undead armies, with the other three being the ones to blame for using them to break open several of the larger sources of resistance in the Empire. This allowed Middenheim to be surrounded and overrun much more easily. Thanks, jerks. Enjoy your fly-pots and nothingness, respectively.

Krell, Neferata and Nagash (co-defendants) - Conspired to enable Nagash to devour the magic of Valaya, assisting in the destruction of the Dwarf realms and preventing them from assisting the Empire. In turn, this meant that Middenheim fell earlier, hastening the death of the world. There's not quite enough evidence to charge Arkhan as well.

Darkh'dwel - Verminlord Deceiver who murders Valten from behind mid-duel with Archaon (right in the middle of a hope spot, no less), precipitating the fall of Middenheim and accelerating the destruction of the world.

Clan Skryre - All of them. That Morskittar Engine was a great idea, until it worked too well. This took the Slann out of the picture, and I'm sure they would have hopped to it (groan) and leaped over the pond (double groan) to help stop Archaon's ritual before they all croaked (okay, I'll stop with the puns). Then there's Ikit Claw, who arguably did as much to help as hinder things by gassing Karak Kadrin and blowing up Nagash's Black Temple (the latter action forcing Nagash to take a side).

Lord Mazdamundi - While we're talking about frogs... starts off by saying the Great Plan has failed and ordering the Exodus to begin. Okay, fair enough for the leader of a race of dogmatic amphibians, but would it have been so hard to actually help or warn anyone about the MacGuffin of Doom beneath Middenheim, given this conclusion? Then, he spends most of the End Times trying to wake himself up. His actions in stopping the rest of the world from being blown to bits by Morrslieb's fragments earn him a reduction in sentence, however.

Teclis - Stole the Flame of Ulric to resurrect his brother, which also precipitated the fall of Middenheim and accelerated the destruction of the world. Sure, there was no-one else who could have been the Incarnate of Light? Why not Duke Jerrod, or Prince Imrik?

Araloth - I'm sure the destruction of the Haven was probably his fault... unless of course it still exists, and has simply been hidden in order to ensure that Lileath tried to save the world anyway. In which case, he's still a jerk for giving up and not actually helping.

The Ogre Kingdoms and the Greenskins - Yes, all of them, except possibly Skarsnik and Grimgor. They basically did nothing for the entire End Times, despite being two of the most fight-crazy factions in the setting. You know what would have made a lot of difference to Archaon's full-blown invasion? A hungry horde of club-and-axe-wielding maniacs charging over the World's Edge Mountains and attacking from their flanks and rear. Sure, I'm not expecting a repeat of Storm of Chaos, but it would have been nice for them to actually show up (for their players as much as for the fluff). Golgfag even helped the Skaven break Karak Eight Peaks... although I won't hold that against him, Belegar was a douchebag.

Matt Ward - C'mon, do we need a reason? We all know he'll be blamed for it anyway.

I'm sure there are others worthy of blame, too. These were just the ones I could think of.

----------

* - Spoken from personal experience.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Haagrum wrote:In defence of Mannfred... it's not all his fault.

So?

Goat tastes the same whether it is the scape variety or not and I say Twilight meets the bangstick for his role in the end.

It will serve as a lesson to the rest of them.

!lol!

In all seriousness I am interested to see the direction they go with for the elves, I've got hope yet, the general on the big cat is interesting at least.

Still, Mannfred goes to Khaine.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Dark Eldar does not look that bad, might be some cool new plastic kits for conversions for our Dark Elves.
But, I really don't like those round bases..
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Still undecided on round bases. If they introduced a ranking system like Wotr system then it would at least spread the models out a little.
However still don't want to rebase.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

More leaks:

[+] SPOILER
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

4 real:

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Sigmarines.

Is that a demigriff the hero is riding or something new?
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Sigi-terminators in size by the looks of it. Check out the bases they're on!

Creature looks like a cross between a Dragon and a cat. It looks reptilian with a horned head, forked tail, and vaguely catlike claws. Not a Demi ...yet another departure from what went before.

Darnok's latest:

[+] SPOILER
Originally Posted by Some Birdy

Concerning models:

[*] humans much larger in scale than standard WHFB humans
[*] not just more bulky and differently proportioned, but I mean the models themselves stand taller, they're just a different scale as WHFB humans (each about the size of a Terminator)
[*] about the model compatibility, and they just went like "yeah well if someone really wants to use their old armies they can, but we didn't intend the new models and old models to be compatible, we think larger models are the way forward, blah blah"

Concerning rules:

[*] it's really for small battles and not as deep and strategic like LOTR was
[*] very simplified, seems intended for short quick beer & pretzel games, lots of random and little strategy
[*] no way you can use it for existing warhammer armies, so with the scale difference and incompatible rules I don't think there's any point in rebasing your existing collection
[*] 'post it note' size of the rulebook is pretty much accurate
[*] very much revolves around your commander, which has elaborate special rules
[*] rest of the squads feels much as filler for the commanders to smash up and feel good about
[*] no info yet about anything planned for really large-scale battles
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

T.D. wrote:Sigi-terminators in size by the looks of it. Check out the bases they're on!

Creature looks like a cross between a Dragon and a cat. It looks reptilian with a horned head, forked tail, and vaguely catlike claws. Not a Demi ...yet another departure from what went before.

Darnok's latest:

Concerning rules:

[*] very much revolves around your commander, which has elaborate special rules
[*] rest of the squads feels much as filler for the commanders to smash up and feel good about
[*] no info yet about anything planned for really large-scale battles

So this sounds like a 'dumbed down' version of Warmachine. Way to go GW! Players like challenging games.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Just hearsay at this point. May as well wait and see.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Those knights would make for excellent proxy knights for Warmachine's Menoth or Cygnar...

If the game does pan out the way that it currently looks like it will, it will be either incredibly positive or negative. It could have a very positive outcome, as the new game seems so far removed from the old one that it may be that Warhammer as we currently know it will remain frozen in time, with players and tournaments continuing to offer up 8th edition as their staple - almost ignoring the existence of the new game. Because that's what it will be: a radically new game. So we will end up with three games, in effect: 40k, 8th ed fantasy, and the new offering. However, it could also be that the act of being squatted leads to a rapid and unstoppable decline in players and tournaments interacting with 8th edition and instead either flocking to the new game, switching franchises (e.g. Malifaux, Warmahordes, Kings of War, etc), or just leaving the table-top gaming genre altogether (there's scarcely a lack of competing hobbies out there - painting, sports, video games, board games, reading, etc etc). Time will tell.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Sure, Blood Bowl no longer supported is still alive.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Alive and kicking, Calisson!
I'm preparing for the BB world championship to be held in Lucca (Italy) next november. More than 1200 players expected.

On topic, I dislike new aesthetics of Sigmarites.
While I enjoy skirmish games, as I'm also a Mordheim fan, I'm very much background driven in my choice of a game.
Bubblehammer is too much high fantasy/sci-fi for my taste.
Ofc let's wait and see the actual rules before giving up the hobby
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

You know this might just be me, but the longer I stare at those Sigmarines the more I think they could look pretty good in the middle of the right Empire army if they had the right paint job. Funny as it is, they are starting to feel more good guy chaos warrior than medieval space marine to me.

Dunno, my brain might be trying to put a good spin on this. I want to get a closer at that dragon cat, might make a real tasty cold one conversion.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think most end time minis and the latest releases (including the new releases of our DE 8th ed) would look just fine alongside or opposing any of these miniatures. But when I see big dudes with hammers like that, I can't help but think that a unit of spearmen would be an ideal counter and the pictures impress me that the new setting isn't suited for such a unit. That's just the impression though. I expect there will be a way to use spears.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Here we go then.

Games Workshop is proud to introduce you to Warhammer – The Age of Sigmar. The old Warhammer World is gone. It exploded and now we can only look ahead at what is to come – The Age of Sigmar. Together we are about to explore new realms. Exciting new adventures lay ahead, with brand new miniatures and new scenarios, set in brand new landscapes. We are opening new realms. Let’s embark on the very first battle of this new era.
The old Warhammer World is gone, and so is Warhammer Fantasy. Forget what you know about Warhammer Fantasy, as Warhammer – the Age of Sigmar is nothing like it. We are going to introduce you to a whole new experience. A brand new game with brand loads of new miniatures and brand new rules.
It is different to what you will expect. It is different to what we have done, but it will amaze you and all your customers. Don’t worry. Warhammer Fantasy miniatures stay relevant. Old miniatures can still be used, however how you will play them has changed. Size doesn’t matter anymore. Whether you want to play with 10 or 100 miniatures, it is all possible in Warhammer – The Age of Sigmar.
The change is big, but you and your customers can still use the existing miniatures. On the 4th of July all the new rules will be available digitally on our website for FREE – It will explain to you how the new game works, and how you can use your old miniatures. The rules will be available in many languages (including Dutch). The new rules for each miniature will also be in the newly rebranded boxes.
Square bases and movement trays are gone. The new and rebranded products will now come with oval and round bases. However don’t worry, as you can play the game with any base shape you want. No need to rebase your existing miniatures. Bases are now only used to stand up your miniatures and you can use whatever shape base you like most.

11650961_10153448804150513_1641178339_n.jpg
herpesFree
Trainee Warrior

Post by herpesFree »

Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

Dammit, I want the rules in Welsh!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Free rules.....my printer is going to be busy.
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

The rules are only 4 pages long 8)
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lord hajjij wrote:

The rules are only 4 pages long 8)

and I bet there are still conflicting rules and lack of clarity ;)

P.S I was referring to the all existing model rules will be available too part.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thanks for posting this Amboadine. It could very well be true... And I'm not trying to disprove the rumour, but I find something very fishy about that image you posted.

For one, the background. If you look closely, you can see hues in the logo.. too subtle to have effect, like they were covered up. There's a patterned blurr to the background that could be the result of the jpeg compression (and the text making a pattern at low quality compression) but it matches the pattern from the sigmar images used on the website. It could very well be that G.W. used that image as background, mind.
There's no branding on that letter at all. That seems strange. I'd expect a GW logo at least.
Finally, no font match. Usually, when they try to rebrand a thing, GW is quite specific about its font-type and style. The leaked new Warhammer, age of sigmar logo reveals a font that is remarkably similar to the font used on the website "Death begets death....". The image posted shows no similarity in fonts at all.

However, this is just gut reaction and I'm in a sceptic mood.

It could very well be true, 100%, and that G.W. just quickly pieced this letter together. The content is what puzzles me. The content seems as valid as any "get warmed up for this" letter could be. If it were fake, it seems like a lot of work was put into a statement that doesn't hold much information. The content seems so valid, that it makes me doubt my own sceptic attitude. :P
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

It this is true thats amazing, looking forward to it.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Definitely looks fishy Daeron, I agree, but the consensus seems to be that this is the actual flyer the Indy shops received... Poor quality to say the least.
However could be proved fake like all rumours.