[40k] Daeron's Thousand Sons

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

[40k] Daeron's Thousand Sons

Post by Daeron »

While I'm building my old dark elves, I'll also be painting my thousand sons for Warhammer 40k. This is the army I'm going to play in the coming weeks.
I have yet to complete my first unit, but here's a preview of what's coming!
20210904_152814.jpg
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [40k] Daeron's Thousand Sons

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great to see some new posts in P&M - how big is the army you are working on?

Looking forward to the progress, it might get me motivated again :D
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'm stuck deciding on a colour for the bands. None of the choices really seem to click and I keep coming back to it.

The 3rd from the left was the original attempt - It's the official theme. I don't like the yellow though. It looks too industrial and bee-like.
The 2nd from the left was an attempt to soften the yellow. It works better IMO, and doesn't seem to wrestle the gold for attention. But I tried to highlight that yesterday or make it look more complete and it feels very "meh".
The left-most was inspired by something I once saw on the net - white bands instead of yellow. When I originally made a photoshop version it looked very crisp but now it looks "too white".
The right-most is just left gold. It doesn't conflict with the theme but it's too much gold - and so the beauty of the trim is lost.
20210913_152127.jpg
20210913_152127.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I ended up settling for a softer white. The bright white was wrestling for attention, and the bright yellow as well. I tried softer versions of both, and in the end I found the white more pleasing (even though the more tan-yellow was nice!)
20210914_173750.jpg
20210914_173750.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
meanwhile I started experimenting with cloaking technology
20210913_194145.jpg
20210913_194145.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The first unit is done.
20210915_233853.jpg
20210915_233853.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice work - very clean job.

How big is this army going to be?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have enough models for 50 PL
--
10 Rubrics
5 Termies
20 Tzangors
1 Shaman
1 Exalter Sorc
1 Master
1 Helbrute (already painted)

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amazing unit and Cloak!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It took me way too long, but I finally finished these. They really take a long time because of all the details, and sometimes I feel like I could have done even more.... or get a comparable result with considerably less effort.
20220528_182456.jpg

- The stiff breeze