Clumsy painting memories

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Tharashar
Warrior

Clumsy painting memories

Post by Tharashar »

What are the most clumsy thing you have done when painting miniatures and such?

My clumsiest painting memory happened 1 year ago. I had just painted one of my sorceresses and wanted to highlight it with some chaos black. But suddenley I dropped the miniature in the paintpot and three days work was wasted :(

Much joy :P
Honour the Craft of Death
Lloyba
Noble

Post by Lloyba »

well, probably when i tried to paint a model's eyes my hand started shaking all of a sudden. next thing i know his face is all black.

in modelling it must be my 3th ed. carnifex. i had just painstakingly got it to stay firm, and then i walked away from my table. then i turned to watch it again. to my horror it starts to lose balance on the table edge and falls to the ground, making me piece it back together all over again.
Blood shade
Executioner

Post by Blood shade »

mine didnt ruin any models but it sure made a mess

I first started when i was 10 and without much common sense so when i was pouring some black paint out into a mixing tray, instead of popping off the cap I took the whole lid off and poured half of it onto the table
Why orcs have such low initiative:

"Hold still! Me aimin'."
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

OMG Tharashar! :shock:

That sucks dude!! How/Why was your Sorceress over the pot. Argh, three days? :(

Jeez, the_kives it's Murphy's Law.. :(

As for me.. nothing as traumatic but recently I tried to ink my Fiends and basically screwed up all the work I had done on them.

Fr0

*Edit*
Fellblade wrote:Not only was the miniature glued to me, my fingers were glued together, and my forearm was stuck to the desk top. I was not alone, but I had to wait for her laughing fit to pass before my girlfriend could go buy cyanoacrylate dissolver.

Not to laugh at your misfortune.. but, well yeah that was frigging hilarious!

Once, I got Superglue on a Kleenex, and it started smoking!! I was trippin' out, I couldn't figure out what the hell was smoking.. I put my cigarette out, and emptied the ashtray but took me a couple minutes to locate the source of the smoke. Very odd. :shock:
Last edited by Fr0 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baranthazul
Ewok of DOOM

Post by Baranthazul »

Meh, the worst I've done was I was basing a unit of 20 corsairs (while ago, now I use 2x12, so don't yell at me :unsure: ) and I decided to reach over, above my inky water and a whole mess of wet paint. I knocked the water over, onto the paint, and it staned all my models.
Another related story involves coke and a laptop that doesn't turn on anymore....
---Baran
Forum Moderator-Druchii Discussion
Skiing consists of wearing $3,000 worth of clothes, driving 200 miles in the snow just to stand around at a bar and drink.
Soulreaper
Noble

Post by Soulreaper »

well I had just painted a noble model (was very proud of the paintjob too.) and I always used spray varnish back then. so I took it out and sprayed it. the bad part was that the spray was weird.. it didn't turn into glistening varnish.. it turned into some white goo which destroyed the entire mini.. I had to throw it out... since then I have never used spray varnish again...
"To some players, luck itself is an art."

Eze'chira's Dark Horde (DE 2000)
W: 5 D: 0 L: 0

list thread:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=42720
pic thread:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=41890
Gijoe
Dark Rider

Post by Gijoe »

I was painting a lovely banner for my WE ( copying from a britney spears album ) for about 4 hours. I realised I needed to take a break and as I got up from my seat, I got focussing problems :shock: and bumped the table hard...which sent the last pot of paint I was using all over it ( incidentally it was tentacle pink ). Much wailing and gnashing of teeth - when and if I get back to doing it again I will use a reduced coloured photocopy !red!

As for modelling, I was using a pin vice to drill pinning holes for a WE conversion when I went overboard and ended up drilling the finger supporting the mini...mucho owee ow ow.

Hmmm...both incidents involving my WEs...not a coincidence? ( I guess its punishment for having 30 of them gurlies! ). :twisted:
The death wail of our hated kin is music to my ears, the strife and misery we inflict is our purpose of. All hail Malekith!
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

the most bizarre thing ever occured to me while modelling; I was working with a scalpel, as I use to do. Suddenly I realised it laid not very safe on my desk, so while holding a mini in one hand, I decided to lay the knife on the other side of the table. In this action however, I had to bring the knife past my hand holding the mini. What I didn't realise was that it went through (my hand). Since a scalpel is that sharp, I didn't notice until my whole desk was blood-soaked. The next thing I did was seeking a doctor...

Sweat, blood and tears...
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Erloas
Assassin

Post by Erloas »

I had a similar knife accident. (I've had too many of them, I've been working with razors too long) As it usually happens I got a brand new blade, all nice and sharp, so it cuts like 20x easier then the old blade I was use to. So when I use the same force it goes much easier. (this has happened too many times...) also say never to cut toward yourself... I still haven't learned... knife goes threw the mini, threw my thumb and stops when it hits the nail on the other side. didn't hurt that much but it bled a lot for quite a while.
Fellblade
Noble
Location: Cell 5, isolation ward. Quarantine measures in effect.

Post by Fellblade »

Dropped the mini in the paint/ink/glue pot... thank god for water-based paint/ink/glue!

Gone to spray a unit with clear sealer, and grab one can to the left... spray them with primer instead.

Stuck the pin vise/scalpel/4mm drillbit into my finger/hand.

Dropped/knocked over/pushed off the desk that multi-part model I'd just spent hours putting together.

Most embarrassing: Sat there holding tiny executioner sword to tiny executioner body, waiting for super glue to dry, not realizing that most of the glue had run between my fingers and down to the desk. Not only was the miniature glued to me, my fingers were glued together, and my forearm was stuck to the desk top. I was not alone, but I had to wait for her laughing fit to pass before my girlfriend could go buy cyanoacrylate dissolver.
Competition is the whetsone of talent.
Imrael
Beastmaster

Post by Imrael »

Getting a pin-drill under a fingernail was pretty special!

I've also had the "clear-varnish-that-wasnt" experience once - I think thats why GW stopped seeling purity seal.

Also, gluing a unit together and accidentally putting 2 right hands on an empire militia man. Couldnt work out why he looked odd for several seconds.
People said "smile - things could get worse"
So I did smile
And things did get worse
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Re: Clumsy painting memories

Post by Mdk »

Tharashar wrote:My clumsiest painting memory happened 1 year ago. I had just painted one of my sorceresses and wanted to highlight it with some chaos black.

Ghehehe, nice one, Highligting with Chaos Black, thats clumsie on its own ;).

But the clumsiest thing I did was a Super gleu incident. Normally I
lay down the lid of the geul but this time I put it in my mouth because I just do'nt have 3 hands. It was to late that I realised that the lid was coverd in gleu and so there I sat with my lips gleud to my teeth and I only could mumble for something like "hmlbbbb" witch is the "gleud-my-lips-together" version of help.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Re: Clumsy painting memories

Post by Voodoomaster »

MDK wrote:
Tharashar wrote:My clumsiest painting memory happened 1 year ago. I had just painted one of my sorceresses and wanted to highlight it with some chaos black.

Ghehehe, nice one, Highligting with Chaos Black, thats clumsie on its own ;).

But the clumsiest thing I did was a Super gleu incident. Normally I
lay down the lid of the geul but this time I put it in my mouth because I just do'nt have 3 hands. It was to late that I realised that the lid was coverd in gleu and so there I sat with my lips gleud to my teeth and I only could mumble for something like "hmlbbbb" witch is the "gleud-my-lips-together" version of help.

*Voodoomaster wipes tears from his eyes and gets off the floor*
that is the best one i have ever heard.
painting incedent, for me prob when i was painting a battle fleet gothic ship at about 3am to get them all finished for the next day for a battle. it wasn't until the next morning that i realised that i had painted a chaos ship in imperial colours and vice versa. i wasn't to happy.
although the ost painful inncedent was when i dropped an RBT on my foot. it dug deeply into my foot. i still bear the scar today.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Tharashar
Warrior

Post by Tharashar »

Fr0 wrote:OMG Tharashar! :shock:

That sucks dude!! How/Why was your Sorceress over the pot. Argh, three days? :(

I don´t know why I held it over the pot but it was very frustrating when I saw the result :(

MDK wrote:Ghehehe, nice one, Highligting with Chaos Black, thats clumsie on its own ;).

Well I wasn´t really highlighting. I think I fixed the details. Wrong written of me in the first time..
Honour the Craft of Death
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

If you didn't panic and were sensible, you could have held your Sorceress under running water - 90% of the black paint would have been removed.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854