Dark Elves attacking Lustria

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Swissdictator
Warrior

Dark Elves attacking Lustria

Post by Swissdictator »

I'm going with this theme. I'm already going with some Aquarium plants to liven it up. However how do I best emphasize the Lustria theme, and how far can I take it. So I'll bounce some ideas around here seeking advice from Druchii vets.

Would using Saurus Shields help the theme of Dark Elves fighting in Lustria?

Would it work for them to ALL have Shields (if they normally have shields)

or only some?

Or on their backs as trophies?

I'm also thinking of making some filler bases for good measure. Perhaps a Salamander being used a Pack Mule being goded by a beastmaster? Greenstuff some bags on its back, perhaps one filled with gold coins, or those "medallions" from the Saurus sprue? Throw in a palm tree for added effect.

Also swapped out the heads on a few spears to use the heads of Lizard spears.

Desert flock, with jungle plants added makes for a good Jungle floor. Perhaps splotches of water using water effects.
And
Trainee Warrior

Post by And »

This could really look awesome!

Nice idea about giving them saurus shields! If you paint Saurus shields just like Cold One knight scales and the corsair sea dragon cloacks, it will really unify the army IMO :)
Livefromnaggaroth
Executioner

Post by Livefromnaggaroth »

I think there was a post on a jungle-themed DE army somewhere a while ago. I think the best way to go might not be using LM shields but going all out on the jungle theme; dirty boots, vines and plants all over the place.

If you do want trophies I'd say heads are more of a LM trophy than shields :twisted:

But it's a cool idea! Good luck!
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

I did three regiments with Saurus shields (on COK's and warriors) and even used a load of shields from the skinks to my RxB's. Spiced some of it up with Skink weapons (I had to GS another finger for my soldiers) but I never actually got into the green thing och aquatic plants. I can vouch for that the theme works quite well, and there is a lot of bits around if you ask the right Lizzie players. I think that Skink weapons worked the best for warriors, saurus shields for the main combat units and trophies heads and standard tops (I used snakes from the swarm as standard tops). There is loads to use and it is a very good theme. I don't think you would like to do it, but you can also use the Lizzis Cold Ones, but with our new models why would you ;)
My friend, who played Lizzies) and I had a summer of fantastic gaming and good many beers over that army. Every week was another scenario from the lustria book.

Good Luck, and you might have succeeded to actually bring that old army back up again, I'll look for it when I'm home next time! Thanks!
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Swissdictator
Warrior

Post by Swissdictator »

Perhaps the shades could have a sort of gilly suit? Take all those little leaves from the Lizard Banners, and perhaps from Aquarium stuff, and having them look like they're using native elements for camo?

Note, I know not to lizard cloaks as that screams Corsairs... but a bunch of leaves, and perhaps after painting using lichen as well. Make them look like they went to Sniper School.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

The shields look great, and are a nice add to your DR if you are that way inclined. I have built a couple lizardman shrines that I use a bases for my peg mounted figures, and have plans for captured and tortured slan as my cauldron of blood on his little flying throne.

Mine is a convent army so it is mostly female with a lot or bare skin, I do have some witches and have pretty much settled on witches on spider bodies as my DR, i just need the nerve to make the conversions. Otherwise witches with hooded cloaks and slung crossbows are my shades.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Swissdictator
Warrior

Post by Swissdictator »

Very cool, Rabidnid. I'll keep that in mind. Also, thanks to everyone so far, you're all helping.

Perhaps a skink being fed to a Cold One, or the Salamander being used a pack master, would be amusing.
Yes, I do look like Loki. That is me in my avatar.
Diederikiii
Shade

Post by Diederikiii »

I'm planning on doing the same but not for my whole army.
I'm planning of making some kind of Dark elf sell-swords wich can only be hired by other dark elfs cause why fight for a slave race if you could make them slaves ;)

So I was planning to make a kind of detachment of my troops Lustrian vetrans; meaning giving one unit those shields as al ready stated to give them "we are/have fighted in Lustria" look.

One of my great but simple idea's (if you can work with greenstuf)
Is giving one of the commanders a saurus/skink-cloak instead of the sea dragon cloack , how wicked a commander running around with those chosen by the old ones on his back :D
better use the skink cause a saurus head is probably to big.
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

Something I never did was to use the sallies as cold ones for my chariots, But it was an idea I had... One sallie = 2 cold ones ;)

God, things are really coming back to me when reading this thread.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Swissdictator
Warrior

Post by Swissdictator »

Alright, now that I'm back into the full swing of my Druchii I will be around more often.

Sorry, but I put School ahead of Warhammer... plus I was working on my 2nd Chaos Dwarf army for a while there... so I set my Druchii aside.

Now that this army is starting to take shape (paint wise) and having played some games... they are likely to become my main army. They are my best looking army to date perhaps, they are not in limbo like Chaos Dwarfs, and they are very flexible.

Right now I have 2 units of Cold One Knights that I have planned to be painted. They just seem perfect for the theme.

I'm sticking with the Warriors over Corsairs... partially because of the piece of art that inspired me (page 24 in the army book if memory serves)... and Corsairs don't seem like they'd a permanent force.

I might convert some Shades out of Corsairs... so I can have cheap figures and I could paint the cloaks like flayed Lizard Skins!

Here is one idea I have. Use the display board to sell this idea. Have lush tropical foliage on the back and side edges. Have a river/stream running down it... with saurus and skinks fighting there (with some skinks emerging from the water)...

Have some built in warriors fighting the lizards, with a female warrior thrusting a spear through a saurus warrior's mouth (like in the picture)!
Yes, I do look like Loki. That is me in my avatar.
Dannyisevil
Shade

Post by Dannyisevil »

Swissdictator I like your theme and it will be cool dark elfs fighting agains lizzardmen.
using lizardmen and dark elfs on a display makes your theme more stronger.
Maybee put some body's of dark elf + saurus/skink on the display too show how bloody the battle is.

Using saurus shield can be good...still the saurus warriors have the shield already.
My warriors with saurus shields WIP:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/ ... vdark2.jpg