Carnosaur as Manticore

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dark desire
Slave on the Altar

Carnosaur as Manticore

Post by Dark desire »

Hello, im in the process of making some sample army lists and looking over models for my first WHFB army, the dark elves (40k player since 8 years :)) and i like the reptillian theme (cold ones, dragons and in extension the hydra of course) and while i'd like to field a manticore it feels a little out of theme (and i dont particularly like the model either)

So my idea was to take the carnosaur, paint it in the same scheme as the cold ones and attach wings and have it "counts as" a manticore. In essence (fluffwise) a large cold one with wings,

What do people think of the idea? Could you squeze a dark elf rider on the model? What kind of wings should i use?

Any suggestions and comments on this idea is welcome :)
"These moonless, foreign skies keep me in thrall. Dark whispers echo in the night, and I cannot resist."
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I think its a fine idea because I did exactly that for my new DE force. The Carnasaur is such a cool model that people have used it for all kinds of things. I doubt anyone would have a problem with it as a manticore. The stock manticore figure really doesn't do anything for me, either, so I say go for it.

The only thing that might be confusing with a winged Caransaur is that people might think its a dragon. Again, not really a problem (especially not for me as I have a dragon as well :D )

The "rider area" is a bit wide which will require some work to get a riders legs to fit, but it can be done.

Good luck and I'll post pictures of mine in a few weeks after the rest of my army is complete.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Diederikiii
Shade

Post by Diederikiii »

I think its a great idea, 2 weeks ago I saw a manti/carni on a local tournemant.
It was nice, although he sculpted some fur and lil'horns on the carnosaur back to make it look more manti and it worked.
Can't remmeber the rider :(

I would say go for it, maybe I'll follow you have a carnosaur here somewhere :D
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

That is a wicked idea man! I had the same idea, but as I did not know how to convert it to look more manti-like I didn't bought the stuff :oops: . Also, I have sooo much that needs a paintjob I can't buy stuff, well, untill I've painted everything that is.

For the rider, I have no clue if a CoK would fit, but as their legs are seperated you could squeeze some greenstuff in ;) . Are we going to see something when you are making him? I;d love to see it, so I can steal it :twisted: , with your permission of course lol.

Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Farodin wrote:That is a wicked idea man! I had the same idea, but as I did not know how to convert it to look more manti-like I didn't bought the stuff :oops: . Also, I have sooo much that needs a paintjob I can't buy stuff, well, untill I've painted everything that is.

For the rider, I have no clue if a CoK would fit, but as their legs are seperated you could squeeze some greenstuff in ;) . Are we going to see something when you are making him? I;d love to see it, so I can steal it :twisted: , with your permission of course lol.

Farodin

The COK legs are too narrow, i.e. they need to be wider. I used some metal 40K legs and repositioned them significantly. I'll bet that you could also use dragon rider legs, splitting them down the middle to make them fit.

I also added some extra bits the Carnasaur to make it a bit different.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Sounding better by the day LoF!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Dark Alliance wrote:Sounding better by the day LoF!

The critter and the rider are done as of last night and they are about as good as Ive ever done, I think.

...I think you'll like it. :D
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Any chance of a sneaky pic? You can pm me a link if you're feeling benevolent??
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Dark Alliance wrote:Any chance of a sneaky pic? You can pm me a link if you're feeling benevolent??

If I finish with time to spare, I'll take a few shots and leak them to you and a few other trusty types. Don't hold your breath....I might be down to the wire.

I usually am under the gun to finish, but I also want people to see my stuff "live" first as my photography sucks and its nice to have at least somebody out there who can say: "they look better in real life than those crappy photos".

..now off to paint.....
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

OK, look forward to it.
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

LoF wrote:If I finish with time to spare, I'll take a few shots and leak them to you and a few other trusty types. Don't hold your breath....I might be down to the wire.

I'm trusty... Just don't forget to post about the model once you do get it approved for showing to the masses. ;)

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Druchii marquis
Executioner

Post by Druchii marquis »

I wonder....would it be viable to add wings to a carnosaur, give it a wicked looking horn on it's nose, and say it's a Dark Pegasus?
"Today I'm handin' out ass-whoopins and lollipops, and I'm all outta lollipops!"
Malekith, the Witch King of Naggaroth
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

It's a bit too big for that. You'd do better with a Cold One - and you'd have a lot less trouble fitting a rider.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Lord myki
Black Guard

Post by Lord myki »

I would much rather convert the carnosaur into a dragon. I have converted the LOTR Balrog into a Manticore with great effect. Just a thought! Good Luck in all that you do!
Mere death is but a blink of an eye,
Death by the Druchii is eternal!
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

could you post some pictures of that LOTR Balrog as a manticore Lord MyKi?
Lord myki
Black Guard

Post by Lord myki »

I will try to do that. All I did was remove the horns and then used green stuff to shape the mane of the Lion's head.
Mere death is but a blink of an eye,
Death by the Druchii is eternal!