D_M's PLOG "Host of a thousand Woes" Updated

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Devoured_mazarine
Beastmaster

D_M's PLOG "Host of a thousand Woes" Updated

Post by Devoured_mazarine »

Finally found a cheesy name for my army and I decided to share with you, a couple of models of my upcoming army.

The first six of my crossbowmen, I'm in the progress of painting twelve right now, but I haven't got the crossbows done for the rest of the unit. Otherwise they are pretty much done, except their shieldarms and bases that is. Picture is so-so but I'm going to say it gives a pretty fair representation of my painting anyways.

My first converted model, still not finished though, he's going to get a shield, seadragoncloak and a greatweapon, but I haven't figured out how yet. Any ideas? Picture is so-so but you get the idea.

Cheers
Last edited by Devoured_mazarine on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Mazarine

Devoured_Mazarine's army blog
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=60598
Devoured_mazarine
Beastmaster

Let's see if I can get any comments this time :?
Finished crossbowmen unit:

Took the photo with flash this time, didn't work out very well, but it shows the highlights with brutal honesty, the robes look a little smoother in real life.
The baseedges are painted in Calthan Brown so they are a lot darker in real life, otherwise the colours are represented pretty okay.

Next up are 5 Dark Riders, hopeful deadline next friday.
/Mazarine

Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

You can and you will! Those crossbowmen look good! I believe you about the robes, it usually pays to wait another day and take the photo in daylight rather than use the flash on your camera.

If you never get daylight... it might pay to put a daylightbulb into your room. Helps out if you're trying to read as well.
ImageImage
Devoured_mazarine
Beastmaster

Thank you good sir.
/Mazarine

Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

Well your BSB is very static, and is kind of boring to look at. If you're going to give him a sdc, you could get use the corsair parts. The blowing cloak and hair on the guys give a sense of movement which will help him out a lot. Also the corsair standard is much better too.

Your armour is well painted, but the photos aren't great so it's hard to tell much else about the minis. Better photos will get you a better response.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

You've got a colour scheme that is easily recognizable but I disuade you from choosing the yellow. It's rather difficult to paint properly; I've seen it used one one or two units to decent effect but the other 99% of the time it looks out of place and darn ugly. That being said, you've got table-top quality models ready to be fielded. One minor criticism is the wood is the same colour as the leather so either they are wearing wooden belts or he's holding a crossbow made of leather =)
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

I'll say upfront, I am not a big fan of yellow and green but I think you have pulled it off very well. I agree with phierlihy that the belts and crossbows need a little more of a distinction.

For your BSB, unless you are going to sculpt a SDC you are far better using the corsair bits, the banner is also much more impressive too. The blades from warrior spears can be used very effectively for GWs.

I quite like the name of your army. What's next on the workbench?
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Devoured_mazarine
Beastmaster

Srealkith: Thanks for the compliments on the armour, I will try to get better photos next time around.

Phierlihy: I quite like the yellow and I'm confident I'll make it work quite well with a unit or two more under my belt. The crossbows and belts are the same colour because I didn't want to add more colours, and it's quick and effective.

22over7: Really? One of these days I just might come up with an explanation for it as well, but not anytime soon :P

Question: Are the corsair SDC separate from the torso of the model?
/Mazarine

Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

There's nothing wrong with the yellow (keep in mind the crossbowmen are rank and file). Just give the belts a quick highlight of snakebite leather and you're good to go i reckon.

And no. Corsair cloaks are attached to the torso as the back portion. The front half couples with it (if you see what i mean) So you can't just take a corsair sdc and stick it onto the back of an existing model.
ImageImage
Devoured_mazarine
Beastmaster

Maybe highlighting the belts snakebite leather and the crossbows in some other brownish colour would make a good distinction?

Too bad about the corsairs, it's like GW doesn't want me to be happy.
/Mazarine

Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

Heh. The corsairs aren't too bad. Apparently (I havn't tried this but many people have) you can just soften the plastic with a lighter and bend it so it fits around the cold one knights legs for a simple master conversion.

You also can sculpt an SDC if you know what happens when you play with fire. Its not too hard. You shouldn't not try: what's the worst that could happen :P ;)

(Incidentally, in case anyone is curious, the second half of that aphorism is different in chinese: it says if you play with fire, you'll wet your bed. Thats what I was always told anyway)
ImageImage