The return of the Painting Competitions! Entry thread

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

The return of the Painting Competitions! Entry thread

Post by Xizor »

Hello and welcome to...

Druchii.net's Painting & Modelling Competition

So as promised, I'm kicking off a new series of competitions. Unlike before, these arent going to be once a month, more like one every 3, maybe more often, maybe less, Im going to see how this one goes and play it by ear.

Now rather than starting off with something easy, Im going to risk a pretty big competition, there will be three different categories for people to enter, with 10 entries allowed for each - this way I can host the polls directly in a D.net topic. I dont know if there will always be more than category, lets see how this one does. The format will be mostly the same as what Kinslayer has layed down before, so many thanks to him.

So lets check out what the categories are;

Single Miniature - Any infantry or cavalry model on a 20mm or cavalry base. Entries received; 0/10
Unit - Any infantry or cavalry unit. Must be legal, as per the Army List. Entries received; 0/10
Large Miniature - Any monster, chariot, or character on mount on a 40mm, 50mm or chariot base. Entries received; 0/10

IMPORTANT - All entries must be Dark Elf models

The closing date for entries is Tuesday 28th April.

As I previous stated, the success of these competitions will decide what I do for future months.

The Rules for entry
- Anyone may enter, as long as they have an entry matching one of the above categories for the month.
- You may only enter one category.
- You do not have to produce a model specifically for the competition, you can enter models which have been seen on this site before.
- To enter, send up to 3 photos of your entry to me via PM.
- The photos must already be hosted and of a size that is in line with the forum rules so that I can link to it in the voting thread.
- There are only 10 spaces available in each category, these will be given on a first come, first served basis.
- No cheating. Your own work only!
- Rules are subject to change, as and when I think of new ones!

How do the Competitions work?
Each competition will be consist different categories for entries, so each month will be different than the one before it leading to a great deal of variation. If you want to take part either by entering or voting, it’s pretty simple. Here’s how the competition works:
- Around the start of the competiton I open the Entry Thread (like this!) where you can see how the competition works, this months category(s), entering rules, the number of places remaining this month, and a place to ask me questions (by replying to this topic).
- Entrants must look over the rules in the Entry Thread
- Entrants must now PM me 1-3 pictures of their entry, do not post the pictures here PM me, with photos, not links.
- Entry closes when I receive the maximum number of entries or on the stated date, whichever comes first.
- I will then open the Voting Thread(s)
- Anyone can now vote, Voters must look over the rules in the Voting Thread(s).
- Winners will be put into the Hall of Fame!

Ok, so thats pretty much it. As you can see I have mostly just taken Kinslayers format and edited it slightly, so hope he doesnt mind that!
Please use this thread to ask me any questions, point out anything you think is wrong and needs changing, and generally discuss the competitions.

Remember, you must PM me all entries, no photos here please.

Um..I think thats about all.
Remember, have fun

Cheers,
Chris

*Mods, please sticky this, and remove sticky from the January entry Thread. Thanks alot*
Last edited by Xizor on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

I think it´s to less time for ppl who will try to finish something. I think it would be better to offer two months to ppl and don´t allow miniatures which were have benn already released here on any other site. So we get all new stuff to see which is more surprising and interesting than things which are already known to all.

my 2 cents
Regards GeOrc
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I agree completely with GeOrc
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

You could add a requirement that you have to post a WIP/basecoated pic of your entry along with your painted entry pic, that way it's pretty easy to verify that it's been done for the comp. Sure there are ways around that, but it's still more work for the cheater too, which is a good thing in any case. :mrgreen:

I think having the categories capped, is kinda funny. What if you actually do attend, spend some time to make a great looking miniature, and then you find that the category is full... :roll:

Themes are nice for competitions too, offcourse, with 3 different categories, it's a bit tricky.

Personally, I think a comp like "unit champion" woulda been a good and soft start, something everyone can easily do, and so on. :D Just my opinion tho.

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Funny... well... maybe. Or less.

I don't agree the minni has to be made only and completely for the competition. Example: I have some finished and unfinished conversions standing around some of them a already has shown in some forum. If I use the comp as an occasion to finish and paint them everyone gets to see sth. new but the WIP-photos wouldn't be that.
I see no problem. Anyway, I support the idea that the minni mustn't already have been shown in the same form.
Although additional complications and controls (WIP photos) could reduce the number of entries just because of unnecessary complications itself and that's not what we want, I assume.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Kuanor wrote:Although additional complications and controls (WIP photos) could reduce the number of entries just because of unnecessary complications itself and that's not what we want, I assume.

Exactly. This is really want I was trying to do, first time around atleast. Without too many retraints, I was hoping we would get the required number of entries, just so that the Competitions are kicked off in a successfull fashion.

I do agree with what you are all saying wholeheartedly, I personally I do think that most of your suggestions would improve it, as a competition, however, I dont think "the masses" are going to be willing to paint up a one off piece for a competition. I may be wrong. I hope I am!

GeOrc, it is fantastic to get feedback from a painter of your calibre. If nothing else I have increased the deadline to the end of April. I think for this competition I will leave it basically as it is, hoping that we can just fill up all the slots and have 3 good contests. I do like the idea of having extra stipulations, and indeed, that may be the way to go with these things.

Im just testing the water at the moment. If this one falls on its face then I shall try something else. At the end of the day, no matter what the format is, we still need people willing to enter.

Arcturus, I do agree that there shouldnt be a cap on entries, but I do believe (please correct if wrong), that 10 is the maximum number of options in a poll here on D.net, so if we have more than 10 entries it means the poll would have to be elsewhere. Is there some sort of free website where you can make polls?

Hope you can understand my reasoning for this first competition. if you think Im actually way off, then once again please let me know and we'll see what we can do.

Please get your besst Character/Unit/Monster photoed and PM'd to me. Whether or not you agree with this format, the Competitions still need to support of all :)

Cheers,
Chris

Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Sure? I just tested and was ablte to click on "new option" more than 15 times. Maybe 20 does be possible? And even if not, couldn't we just ask the admin to change the maximum number? I mean, it's THE P&M-Comp! The thing with the most sticky threads in the P&M-forum. ;)
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

I certainly don't anticipate this suggestion benefitting me:
But to address an earlier post in your original thread perhaps you could adopt Spring 09 (sorry southern hemisphere) for the competition name so that people can claim appropriate bragging rights? Just an idea.

I will be entering, provided the maximum number of entries will be over 10 (I wouldn't want to deprive anyone else of a place). If nothing else I fancy my chances for the most improved at some point in the future as I am starting from a pretty low base :oops:
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Number of entries will be over ten yes. Ill look into it properly in the next day or so.

For now though, get entering!

Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Just to be sure: For this time we may enter with minnis already shown somewhere else, right?

In this case I'd try to get some advice about the colour schema in an other forum. The minni is ready but I'm not happy with one part of it. :)
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Not sure about starting off with such a big competition. It feels more like a deterrent to me.

IMO it would be much better to start off small, to gather interest.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I say good show, go full beanz and see what turnz up. You don't find the limit till you cross it.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I think we can increase the size of polls easy enough Chris
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Dark Alliance wrote:I think we can increase the size of polls easy enough Chris

Cool, in that case there is now no limit on the number of entries. I shall edit the first post at some point.

I would really like to see some entries coming into my PM box over the next week or so :)

Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Oh, the deadline nearly arrived. Is it true that nobody entered that far? :(
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Yup...

Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

Heh... the weather has been against me the last couple of days. Ever since I finished the unit I was painting for the comp it has been over cast and rainy... The pics I've taken are pretty shocking :shock:

Maybe the weather will change for me over the next day or so...?
ImageImage
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

I'l keep to my earlier statement of starting with a smaller painting competition and gradually increasing the workload if you see fit.

Try a single category, something interesting, and a month deadline, and see how it goes from there. Increase the deadline to two months after the first competition.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

Funny, I haven't been on Dnet for a while, now I just notice the painting competetion and its deadline is tomorrow, and 0 entries! Maybe extend the time a month?
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Or do as Igor recomends?
Dread lord
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dread lord »

Ill throw this in here, tbh i wasnt going to enter, there is some serius talent on this site.

So here goes pm sent
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Dread Lord, my sentiments exactly, but I could send a picture to get some entries going.

That said, can someone link to where the size in both pixels and in KBs is written so I send a legal image?

Thanks,
Rafa.
Dread lord
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dread lord »

i just used coolminiornot and posted a url
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Everyone please contine to enter. I have a day off on thursday and will revise the competition.

For now, the deadline is extended, and I shall take any entries (basically ignore the categories).

There will be a competition, and I now have atleast 5 entries (there isnt a limit now), so yeah, get your entries in.

Thanks to those who have supported this :)

Chris
EDIT - Rafa; just PM me your photos, size doesnt matter, I can resize them myself if needbe :)

Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Thanks Xizor and Dread Lord. If there is a little extra time, I would rather wait, cause I'm almost finished with a new mini. I was going to submit a previously made unit, but I would rather finish the one I'm currently doing.

Thanks for hosting this competitions, they are fun and could help complete my army sooner :).

Thanks again,
Rafa.