Deroth's Dark Rider Conversion

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Deroth
Assassin

Deroth's Dark Rider Conversion

Post by Deroth »

I have been working on this conversion for a while now and now want to show them off. Painting isn't fully completed but close enough.

I used the Marauder horses and the horseman bodies with druchii bits all over them.

First the unit champion

Musician

RnF dude

whole unit

Yea I know its a waste having a std bearer in dark riders but I was doing this first unit for more display purposes than for gaming.

Tell me what you think. :D
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

like a lot the wild look of them..
Death before dishonor
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I also like the general feel of the unit. I guess, unless GW releases plastic DR, I'll have to remake all of mine - making the RxB ones from glade riders and corsair handbow bits, and the CC ones in the same one you made - from chaos horses and bits.

The only thing I dislike is that you left the banner unchanged - it reminds of chaos too much. The banner itself, of course, is ok, but the half-wheel on the top should have been changed to something more druchii, I think.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Lakissov wrote:The only thing I dislike is that you left the banner unchanged - it reminds of chaos too much. The banner itself, of course, is ok, but the half-wheel on the top should have been changed to something more druchii, I think.

Fair comment, I kept it the same because the spear tips at the top reminded me of the warrior banner but I agree it would probably look better without the circular bit 8)

Also I havnt decided what kind of freehand I should do on the banner, Any ideas?
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

I think they look really good. A bit "heavy" for my personal liking but each to their own. I think the banner is fine as it is and when the freehand is done, it should draw more attention away from the top.

What are you going to do with the bases and the horses' eyes?
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

well, I guess it's still not too late to cut the wheel off and put some druchii bits (that is, if you feel like that). I personally would put druchii spear ends pointing to the right and left.

as for the freehand, this depends on your skill. with my skill, I'd limit myself to runes: they don't tequire too much work, and they look appropriately druchii. if, however, you are good at freehand banner, then I guess the best thing would be to draw the emblem of the town that your army comes from - hence tying it up with the fluff... or, alternatively, a steed with an evil grin, standing on its back feet in the light of the moon =)
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Bases will look something like this but without the disgusting green edge, that will be brown instead

And with freehand designs I have only really done runes up until this point but Im trying lots of new things with these guys so I thought I might try something a little more complicated and push my skill a little.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

A quickly popularizing conversion method for DR (it will be mine as well). I like what you've done, but my complaint is that you used the marauder bodies which look awkward to me when combined with Druchii arms and heads. Still very well pulled off, just something I noticed. As for the banner, I suggest painting something that defines DR to you.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Here are some WIP shots that I took.

There was further smoothing, cutting filing etc done after these photos were taken before everything was painted but it shows how little work it really took to do. :P
Lord myki
Black Guard

Post by Lord myki »

Nice conversions!
Mere death is but a blink of an eye,
Death by the Druchii is eternal!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

My idea is catching on then...
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Very good conversion, I really appreciate efforts to make them but, sorry if it sounds harsh (I do not mean to be) but they do not match my idea of elves. Elves are agile, fast and elegant, these are brutal. Chunky shoulder pad are not elfish at all. It's also hardly to imagine for me we place that kind of armor on our steeds.
This is not a criticism of your nice converting and ainting technique, just a matter of taste. Each own has his idea of elves so, if you like them, go ahead and be proud: they are really well converted. :D
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net