The Temple of Khaine

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Georc
Assassin

The Temple of Khaine

Post by Georc »

Hi all,
ok, here it this the long waited topic about my temple of Khain army project. It based on the armylist and tactical development Topic from Dark Alliannce and myself which can be found here:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=59975

All informations from gaming side you will find in this topic and I please you to discuss all list and tactical related things in this topic.

Our current list looks as followed sort by the temple structure:

convent of the witch elfs:

- Death Hag (General), Cauldron
- Death Hag (BSB), Banner of Naggarythe
- 10 witch elfs
- 5 Harpies
- 5 Harpies

convent of the assassines

- assasine, manbane, rendering stars

convent of the scholars

- Arch Hierophant on Palanquin (Hydra)
- Hierophant (Master), MR2, sword of battle
- 10 Disciples of Khaine with frenzy banner (corsairs)
- 10 Disciples of Khaine

Temple Head

- Temple Leader (Master), crystal of midnight, soulrender
- 11 Retrainers of the leader (Black Guard), with champion and standard, ASF banner
- 11 Executioners
- 20 Warriors, full command, warbanner
- 15 Warriors, full command, cold blooded banner

From time to time I will show here pics of my finished stuff and sometimes some WIP pics. Projects wich will be part of a competition I will released first when the competition is finished. I hope you understand that and have patience if it will need some time until the topic will be updated. I will give a summary on the second posting which I update with every finished unit to give an overlook about the project. I hope you have fun here, Enjoy
Kind Regards GeOrc
Last edited by Georc on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Reserved for summary

Thanks

Kind Regards GeOrc
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

So here my first unit which is still in progress. These are the ten corsairs with Seaserpentstandard. Two further miniatures are in progress of painting and two in converting. The Champion will be perhaps an other GD Project.
The unit won silver in warhammer unit on french Games Day last weekend.

(Awesome pictures, but unfortunately a bit too wide; max is 800px; turned into links -- Thanee)

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_01.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_02.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_03.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_04.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_05.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_06.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_07.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_08.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_09.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_10.jpg

I hope you like them and that this first signs of miniatures give you a feeling what´s DA and I create here.

Kind Regards
GeOrc
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Argh!

I'll post again when I'll recover.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Oh damn, that look absolutely stunning!

All right, so which bits?
the torsoes are from warriors?
the weapons from corsairs?
the arms from flagellants, but with gloves sculpted?
the legs - I have no idea, but they indeed look very cool
same about the heads
So, care to share the wisdom, GeOrc?
Kreol
Brush Master

Post by Kreol »

skirt > imperial flagelant
torso > dark elf warriors
heads > corsairs, dark eldar warriors, cold one riders
arms > imperial flagelants
hands > corsairs
weapons > corsairs

a lot of stuff si self made, like the armour plates on th skirts, all the applications, the little Khaine on the banner top, etc...

Great work GeOrc, gratulate another demon in Your collection. Only thing is impresion that they must have S4 with so big muscles, and more suits to Executioners.

I love that banner.
So GooD To Be EviL!!
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Edit: Gna, I had better read the last posting. -.-

Then only stays to say how good they look, but we already all know, they do.
Last edited by Kuanor on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Ah, of course those are flagellant legs, they seemed so strangely familiar!

As for the hair - I'm sure is is greenstuffed.

Anyway, what I'd like to add to my previous comment of "omg it's so stunning" is that this is also a very fresh approach to dark elves. Usually, one doesn't imagine dark elves as muscular guys with flesh showing, but here this is exactly what we see. The first impression I had was that these are some disciples of khaine - it's quite reasonable that they count as corsairs.

I think that GeOrc is setting a new trend here for all things khainite - the same way in which Lion of Flanders has set a trend for converting harpies from daemonettets.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Erm... converting harpies from daemonettes is quite obvious if you see how ugly the original models are and search the GW store for females - so I done and surely many more different people independently from each other.
For the arms GeOrc will tell why he used them himself but as far as I read it was just because he had them. :)
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Well, I'd say that these hands fit in very well. I myself just recently used one of them for converting an assassin into a fellblade (for mordheim) - they look muscular enough for a tougher type of elf (that's the main reason why I recognized the hands). So I'd say, just having the bits is not the only reason for using them - they really fit the image well.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Probably it is a question of taste or how you imagine elves or even the proportions on miniatures. But I see it the opposite way.
Anyway, as long GeOrc likes them like this (and wins silver with them) it's allright. He is the one to like them, not me. :)
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

hi all,
thanks for the kind words.

here a WIP pic form the standard bearer which give an impression about the used parts:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_01.jpg

I will soon release further WIP pics and will show the progress on the next 4 miniatures in public to show you how to creat disciples of Khaine.

I tried here to walk on the edge. On one hand I want some miniatures easy to convert because I needed them in a numerous amount And on the other hand they should look fantastic, close to the artwork and of a exquisite quality. What I need was a good mix of good bitz and the addition of a good sculpturing work which brings me as close as possible to the artwork. I think after most have seen my death Hag or the start of the gary elf no one do´sn´t believe that I´m able to translate my ideas or artworks to a 1:1 sculpt of thisone. Doing whole units of scults is a lot of work, very expensive and isn´t efficient if you don´t sell them to finance the modl making. Impossible if the stuff based on GW intelectual property. Thats why I choose the way of a good conversion. They would do pefectly as miniatures I will use for gaming and I had also a lot of conversion work and sculpturing to do to learn more and earn experience from the work. Perfectly in my eyes I started to search for the right Bitz and the Bitz list form Lakissov shows exactly what I used. I know that the bits are close but didn´t reflect the artwork 1:1. Also the proportions are a bit to thick but because of 1 mm to much in size I wouldn´t do the job to sculpture 20 arms, this I nonly did by my wo female versions which I will show you the next days, here it was reallly necessary to have smaller proportions. For males tha army are strong and the shoulders look very large but I think it´s ok because a unit has to work by their overall look and less about the look of each individual figure. For a miniature like my Champion which works more as a single miniature I will sculpt amrour, arms and shoulders more by the artwork and with better proportions because it servers a completly other standard. I can understand Kuanors opinion and critic and he is right but his view is focused on the individual miniatures and not on the unit overall look. Doing everything perfect would have lead to need double time and we should remember I try to paint here an army wht more than 100 miniatues on standard which is able to win silver demons in France ;) so forgive me if the stuff isn´t perfect, I think you all kow I could do this better and you are right, but not everything has to be maximized everything and everytime ;)

Kind Regards
GeOrc
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Very nice, this is actually making me think about finally getting around to making the Khaine list I have toying with. I look forward to see the whole army.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

Wow.. What can one say? Apart from a rather standard "very nice" I'll add that the (amazing) standard icon is something I'd consider putting with a cauldron of blood. Perfect size really, to use as an idol for a portable shrine. I'm sure GeOrc can pull out something more magnificent for a cauldron of blood, but I am seriously tempted to steal that pose / design for if I ever getting around to making a cauldron (since I can use the warrior torso, which is very similar to the one you made, to reduce the scuplting work :p).

Your pose is much better than the one on the wierd GW statue.

Argh!

I'll post again when I'll recover.

haha! I just realised that Iyagd Still hasn't recovered
ImageImage
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

The most impressive fact is to paint an ENTIRE army to this level of quality. Normally it would take forever. Just this fact is well worth the compliments you'll receive. :D
Nothing to add about your NNM technique, I prefer to tell you I like the way you painted the skirts, with those decorations. Nice touch the skulls hanging here and there, very Khaininite.
I have to admit not liking the standard bearer, it's just a matter of taste but I do not like the muiscolar arms chosen. The Seaserpent banner is a great example of your sculpting and painting technique but it is not really my taste. I always hated the big statue of Khaine in 6th ed caldron of blood and this guy remind me that ugly piece of scultping too much. Sorry but as I told you it is just a mater of taste.
In armylist I'd like to see more witches!
I mean modelwise and fluffwise. I'm not discussing army effectiveness on battle field.
Just ten? It's a disappointment, it's a temple of Khaine list, I'd like to see at least 20 gals, if not even more :cry:
Well, I hope you appreciate costructive criticsm ;)
I'm realling looking forward to see more pics :o
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Amazing GeOrc and I love the Disciples amazing, the Standard just..... really I'm lost for words.

A point is though that after looking through alot of your work it has inspired me to get painting and improve, maybe one day I'll match your skills if I keep at it.

Keep up the great work.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Silar
Cold One Knight

Post by Silar »

And i wept blood as my eyes gazed upon such beautiful work...

WOW GeOrc Wow very nice i like the unit alot. keep it up

Silar
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Mnesthius
Looking foward to your cauldron. My own is in design phase. Be sure it will be something never seen before.

@ Bassman,
how you said, it´s personal taste. I like the Khaine statue a lot. I sculptured it by an artwork from Paul Dainton and I like the design a lot and will repeat it on other parts of the army.

Because of the wiches, you are right, that´s something to think about. Perhaps I will convert one of the warrior units into female miniatures to represent more Girls.

@ Zardock,
thx

@ Silar
also many thx

Kind Regards GeOrc
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Oh well, you already had my thoughts in the tacitcs thread, but I'll go ahead and lay down my rebuttal [though it is, like resistance, useless].

You say after two minutes in battle the once shiny elves get all scratched up - I say after two minutes the other guys get all scratched up, and the elves are still shiny - if a bit bloody, so I agree wholeheartedly with that touch! So, you say you;re taking it easy with this army, just trying do something simple, and I look at that banner pole and think so that's how you take it easy? Khaine be jiggered man. That's not easy!

Congratulations on your work so far, looking forward to more of the same! I must say I'm most interested to see this Hierophant/Hydra. But you're not about to give anything away, I suppose?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi all,
here some pic of the next two Khainites I actually work on.

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_11.jpg

Hop you like them
Kind Regards GeOrc
Hans von darkelf
Corsair

Post by Hans von darkelf »

To say that we like them is a understatement, we bow to your skill and wish you further glory in the eyes of our Lord Khaine.

There amazing :D
Dalamar wrote:It was the alien hat!

Now we know the truth :twisted:
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

GeOrc, I am SO GLAD your army of choice is Dark Elves so that you post here =) I am regularly inspired by your works. These are another excellent example; thank you for sharing!!

If I can ask, how the heck do you do your skin? Like you I'm a graduate of Jeremy's painting class (although my painting skills are that of a mere squib compared to yours) so I understand how you get your shading. Using the colours in your Witch Elf tutorial my shadows are greenish (ick!). What am I missing?
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ phierlihy,
that´s simple, an explaination first.
You use cold colours to break black because pure black isn´t very natural and for a realistic painting a broken black or anthrazit colour works better.
You can use different cold colours. Jeremie prefers Dark Sea Blue, I use often Hawk turqoise which makes a similar look but with GW colours or like here a stronger blue, here regal blue.

If there is too much blue or turquoise in your black your shadings will look greenish or blueish. This can be your will but then your choice of blue should fit to your miniature. Turqoise ´won´t work with elfs but the regal blue for example does good because it adds a cold touch to the shades. If you won´t a strong colour effect in your shades you should always remember that yu add this clour in first instance only to brake your black. The result should be a grey and should be more or less colour less then mixing with white or bleached Bone.

You see the problem results of having to much of your breaking colour in your mix and it change your light tones. Be careful a mix it correctly depeding on the brightness of your colour transition. If working oin a light area like the skin based on bleached Bone, less blueish colour is need to get a clean result.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards GeOrc
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

beautiful..really beautiful..the whole unit will be amazing...
looking forward more updates..
any possibility of showing greens? (love to see the sculpting process)
Death before dishonor
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

That helps a great deal actually! And motivates me to get back to painting!! Thank you for taking the time to help me out GeOrc =)