[PLOG] Dark Elf Female Army Using Platics

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

That's weird.
Your black guard banner has the symbol of Asuryan, the God of their enemies? o:

The opposite of Khaine.
Might want to get rid of that icon on top of their banner and put something more khaine-like (;

And fix the link, you forgot an s in the filename.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks SilverHeimdall - I was not aware that symbol was for the enemy. May Khaine have pity on my misguided ways.

Any recomendations for what I should change it to?

Hopefully the link is now fixed - and I eagerly await more fedback.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Re: Dark Elf Black Guard Completed

Post by Arquinsiel »

cultofkhaine wrote:Well here you are - I have just finished painting this unit - I hope you like. As always any comments would be greatly appreciated. I hope to post some more images soon.

I don't know what these are, and if I saw them on the table I'd have to ask.... but I like them. Very nicely done.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

Bro those really look AWESOME! the conversion was ok, but the paintjob is really GREAT!
I agree it is rather weird seïng the banner of the high elf on top of your banner but still looks great!
Darknightshade
Warrior

Post by Darknightshade »

wow what a great paintjob :D *thumbs up*
My Army Plog

"We're Part Of A Story, Part Of A Tale,
Sometimes Beautiful, Sometimes Insane"
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I took a few comments on board from earlier discussion. I shortened the spear tips on the end of the weapons to make them less prominent. I changed the banner totally to what I thought would be a better choice using the elf glyph/rune. I figured this would work well, not thinking that it would look too high elven. I am trying to create something differnt using the range of GW bits. My green stuff skills are not great so I try and make do with the bits as they come. I dont want to use the usual DE banner head pieces, I was hoping to use something different.

It would be great to get further opinion on if I should change the banner head piece or not.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

The rune looks good, DE are also elves in the end. The only problem is that it's the Asuryan's one. Elves have indeed a single pantheon and it wouldn't wonder to see HEs with the rune of Khaine - also their god of war - on a banner. But I'm not sure how DEs think about Asuryan. Afaik they dislike gods having nothing to do with war.
Gethsemane
Executioner

Post by Gethsemane »

That paint job is seriously impressive. The eyes, the weapons, the cloth, the armor, etc. are all fantastic.

I also agree with Arq... I might be able to guess at what they are, but I'd have to ask.

The witch elves, however don't do it for me. Perhaps when they're painted up my opinion will change, but they look... off somehow.
aka DarkTyrany22

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Now that's really brilliant. I've already expressed my qppreciation of Your conversions. Seeing them painted now... just great! They actually really look evil and manacing. I like Your choice of limited colours, dark blues really look awesome. Also paint job seems really good. Nice touch with ribbons - though on the first thought I'd probably use some other colour (like red) but maybe Your choice looks better.

What I like the most, that they all - conversions, poses, execution, colours, bases, general coherency - really work together and look like unit not band of warriors standing near each other accidentaly.

Also big thanks for being source of inspiration and showing that there's no limit for imagination, and encouragment for trying somethinh new even in terms of modelling.

Excellent work. I except great things from You in the future.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

The only instance where Dark Elves would accept Asuryan is along with Khaine, who were both with Aenarion.

Quote from ulthuan post
WHFRP: Realms of Sorcery (v2), pages 19-20:

"Yet Aenarion opposed this plan [The Vortex ~Eldacar] and declared it impossible. As the tide of magic rose in the world, so too rose the power and influence of the Gods and Daemons. Despite his physical strength and nigh-indomitable will, Aenarion was eventually consumed by the desires of the deity that possessed him. It didn't matter that Asuryan personified much of what was good and beautiful about the Elves as a race, he was still a God. And just as with the Gods of Chaos and their Champions, eventually Asuryan's will and purpose consumed those of his vessel. Asuryan's own power and influence would be muted if Caledor's plan worked, so it seems Asuryan played a prominent role in Aenarion opposing Caledor's plan.

But in time, Aenarion was consumed entirely by feelings of duty towards his people, taking all their sorrows onto himself. With the murder of his wife and disappearance of his children, stacked on top of his horror at the genocide wrought against his people, Aenarion eventually walked the path to oblivion. Against Caledor's warnings and indeed all sanity, Aenarion drew from its shrine the Sword of Khaine, the God of Violence, War and Murder, thereby opening himself to become a vessel for the war-God's power and will. No mortal frame, however, mighty, was designed to contain the conflicted spirits of two opposing deities, not even Aenarion's. With the opposing spirits of the two Gods within him, Aenarion was driven to the edge of insanity. He threw himself against the armies of the Chaos Gods again and again, his followers becoming ever more brutal and bloody handed, just like the war-God that now possessed their mighty king."

Its an interesting piece of lore.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Oh, interesting. Along with Khaine it actually would make sense. But do we know the rune of Khaine at all?

About the daemonettes: I suppose they have too long legs and that's why they look somehow strange.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Rune of Khaine is on top of Witch Elf banner pole.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

The one looking like the rune of Khorne? O.o
It would make sense if the WE had a rune of khaine but you can't mean this one.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

You trimmed down the weapons which makes a huge difference! Nice paintjob and nice conversion. I have one negative comment and that is the heads look like something out of a zombie movie or like they are possessed or something. Otherwise it's a nice job!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Here is another image of each mini.

I have taken your feedback onboard and now changed the banner header... after all death to all high elves.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Very very cool.

When are you going to finish the witch elves? I really liked them - their arrogant pose, long legs and wicked looking blades really appealed to me as being what those femme fatales should look like (as opposed to GW's most recent attempts :/ )
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Nice conversion and awesome painting. IMO their axes scream Executioners to me more than Black Guard but it's a matter of taste.
Nice black metal elves! :D
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

In fact I like the BG a LOT! they are really painted to a very good standard! To me the witch elves didn't looked like witch elves,, but that is just personal taste of course.. keep up the good work dude!
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Great work the painting is really strinking and well executed. I love the daemon heads makes your girls look even more possessed, motivated and ready to slice and dice. You have CoK, daemonette, HE chariot/hero and what other kits in this unit?
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

I at first wasnt sure just looking at the plastics. But hey, you did a great job! I like it a lot! Props to ya man! (^-^)
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

Pretty cool conversions you have done here, not sure if the deamonette heads are my cup of tea, but I understand your lack of options. Still you can't argue with results, you have made some fine looking models even if they don't look entirely dark elf.

One question though and sorry if this has already been covered, where are the axes from?
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

8 of them seem to be from the crew and accesoires of the high elf chariot, and because many DE players buy them to convert to cold one chariots pulled by some new cold ones you can easily collect some of those because not many of them use their high-elf bitz ^^
and about the ones with the pointed backs I have no clue...
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Good paint job. Good photos. Good colour scheme. Good dynamic poses within the unit. Good work!

However...by electing to skip the simple step of greenstuffing a nose onto the Daemonette heads you have failed to make them look like Elves, Dark or otherwise. In my opinion of course :)
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Syn'dar
Corsair

Post by Syn'dar »

I second Xizor, the paintjob/conversion is great but they still look chaotish to me like some slaneesh fiends
- Conquering others is strength, conquering yourself is true power -
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hello all and thankyou for the great feedback. In response to some of the questions...

- The axes in deed came from the HE chariot crew, also from the HE Nobel and the HE Dragon rider sprues. I capped the top of the axes with a section from the DE spears.

- I used Flagellants for the legs

- COK for the torso

- Obviously the daemonette heads. I'm trying to create an all female army - this seemed the obvious choice as there are no other female head bits that I am aware of. (My view ... not all witches are drop dead gorgeous, this is why they need to keep feeding the Cauldron of Blood)

- Musician uses the horn from the Chaos Maurader Howrsmen

- I also used a few misc heads/skulls etc

I have now removed the Asuryan's rune from the top of the banner and replaced it with a COK banner piece.

I have just started painting the witch elves - pics in the next few weeks

Also I have started work on converting a new unit of executioners - pics soon.

Thanks again for the great comments