[PLOG] Dark Elf Female Army Using Platics

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

[PLOG] Dark Elf Female Army Using Platics

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hello all - I thought I would share with you a unit I have been working on for my new army. My idea is to create a khaine army list using all female models. The first unit I have created is a unit of 10 Executioners. These have been converted using a variety of bits. Any comments would be welcome.

Last edited by cultofkhaine on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

they look great! looking forward to seeing them painted.

Tell me if I'm correct in saying:

Tips of axes = DE spear points
Heads = Daemonettes
Torso = Cold One Knights
Legs = Flagellants

but what did you use for the actual axes?
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes you are correct with the bitz!

For the axes I used some bits of the high elf sprues, the chariot, Noble etc. I also used a few pieces from the flagellants sprue for the skulls at the end of the axes. I removed all the gems etc of the axes to make them less High Elf looking. The banner came from chaos riders sprue I think.

Just about to start painting them - so will post some more pics as I go.

I like the daemonette heads and have been thinking about using them for most of the army. I have only really seen them used in harpy conversions - not on any other standard DE units.
Malachi
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Malachi »

@cultofkhaine, you have the beginning of a very nice unit there. A great use of kits bashed together to achieve what you have done. I like how you ahve put the random elements together.

However, having said that, you state that you want an all female unit. Sorry to say but I don't see that by putting the daemonette heads on the torsos that they are female and you have acheived your wish. They seem to be missing a few curves in the armour if you know what I mean.

Also, the axes look OK but it might be me, but they dont look finished and feel as though they don't flow or are seemless. They also look very chaos like and not elven. On that note, the standard needs to be made less chaos like also IMO.

The last thing is that executioners armour. The torsos look good. I kind of like the individuality of each executioner, hearldry if you will. HOwever, even though this is a TOK army, for me they are missing chainmail. Also, some would benefit from having a helmet here and there.

For me, this unit needs GS work to bring it from good something that most could achieve to excellent that most won't be able to achieve.

My two cents.

Cheers,

Malachi
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Nice Axecutioners. Don't think you needed the spear tips, they would have been ok, better even, just as axes. Also, I must disagree with the daemonette heads. You probably should have used the Corsair banner instead, it is big enough to do some fun freehand on, but won't obscure your conversions. Having said all that, I'm sure this unit will look great once painted. I don't think it will achieve exactly what you aim for, but it will look great.

Kudos.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for the feedback guys - most appreciated.

In regards to the daemonette heads - I dont know of any other plastic heads available in the GW range - these are the closest things I could find - I guess where they fall down is the facial features looking demonish. But I thought not all witchs are stunning... these could look a bit haggared/agressive. Does anyone know of anyother female heads available in plastic?

Curves in the armour would be great - my green stuff skills are not the best but sounds like a good idea. not sure how I could convert the cold one torsos though.

In regards to the banner - Im bored with the usual DE banners I wanted something that was large and flowing - I plan to do a nice detailed image on the banner so needed the realestate. Fair point about it looking chaos like though. Do you think I should use a differnt banner? at the moment its only bluetacked on.

With the axes I added the DE spear tips to make them more DE looking - do you think I should remove them?

Does anyone have any ideas for good colour scheme?

I am also working on a unit of witch elves using daemonette and corsair bitz - will post pictures soon.

Thanks
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Those are really great conversions. Congratulations for creativity and open mind. It is good to know that flagellants legs works so well, I had a surge of inspiration seeing Your unit (I planned using Chaos axe tops for plastic Executioners conversions), I'll show results when complited.

Although for now they'd better act as Black Guard. They look something heavier and their weapon look more like halabards, for me at least.

But if You want them as Executioners - then remove spear tips - they are unnnecesary and look a bit weird and unrealistic.

As for female part - well, either GS boobs or use of other torsos - like female Warrior ones or female DEldar ones.

As for female heads, either use helmeted ones or corsair ones (or both), maybe COKs bare heads or DEldar ones?

Good work. Awaiting for progress.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks Iyagd for your comments,

I thought about using the female warriors torso section but the armour did not look heavy enough for the unit. I plan to use these for another converion I am working on soon.

Do you think this unit would be better a Black Guard unit?

Would like to see your conversion - feel free to post if you like

Cheers.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Boobs squish nicely under armour. Besides, if you look at any modern female soldier, you won't find her armour has bulges in it. Hips are the big givaway that a model is female, and you have disguised that with the flaglant legs. They are fine as is, but I second the BG over Exe use.

Edit: and I really dislike the banner. If they are exes go for something smaller, and if they are BG go for something more DE, as this thing still looks Chaosy
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gh9st
Shade

Post by Gh9st »

When I first saw them I did think they looked more like Black Guard, I imagine the Executioner weapons to be more slender, the weapons here do look very halberdish.
Whatever the case though they're nicely converted, they look very good.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

That is a pretty fantastic looking unit. I hope the paint job shows as much effort as the converting.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Witch Elves plastic conversion

Post by cultofkhaine »

Ok - here is the other unit I have been working on. Again in keeping with the all female theme I have converted some witch elves using bits from the daemonette and corsair sprus. my plan is to paint this up to represent the Brides of Burning Blood. Any comments more than welcome - I hope you like the conversion.

Last edited by cultofkhaine on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

I kinda like it. Not too sure about the chaos banner tho. But other than that, looks good.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

You really need to sculpt proper noses onto all those Daemonette heads. That alone will improve the look alot. Also, take those spear tips off the axes if you use them as Executioners, though they make fine Black Guard as they are.

Good work.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Hi, witches look better than exes.
I like the witches... good idea to save money and have an original unit... just is it possibile to have a closer pic?
As suggested by Xisor they need noses, I'd add also to resculpt hairs, IMO (just a matter of taste) our witches like different hair cuts.... :D

and get rid of the chaos banner! We are elves.....not Chaos scum :x
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Loki_the_black
Warrior

Post by Loki_the_black »

The Witch Elves look great. I think a similar conversion with the Corsairs xrb will work well for Khaine Shades (I have converted up some standard Witch Elves). Also try some dark riders with the demonettes and chaos marauder horses as dark steeds.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Ok - due to poular demand ... no one seems to like my banners :-(

I have redone the baners with a more DE look. the downside you will have to wait to see them as I just primed them black and have started painting them.

I have also decided to go with the Exes as Black Guard instead and do another unit as Exes with swords instead.

Bassman76 - closer pic below (having trouble getting it to link to this image)

http://picasaweb.google.com/cultofkhaine/WorkInProgress?feat=directlink
Ubergeist
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ubergeist »

Another wonderful idea that I'll have to steal at some point!

The blackguard converts look fantastic, well done!
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

awesome...I´ll steall some ideas ..the WE looks really good...wanna see the painted
Death before dishonor
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

It looks like you used 25mm bases for the WE...
Hope it is my eyes that play a mean joke on me, because they should be on 20mm bases.

Nice work! Really like the Black Guard unit, the only think that concerns me is the spear tips that looks glued on, if you use green stuff to ease the edges and make it look as one piece, would be great!

The WE unit is fine as is except banner and might need noses on their faces.

Good job, looking forward to see them painted!

EDIT
By the way, I think you should keep the banners, because they adds a brute feeling towards the unit. The skills for example comes back on the bottom of the BG weapons. The one thing you could do is to remove the sharp spikey feel of the banners and instead use curved spikes or something more druchii like. This is a minor issue though.
The BG banner is flawless in my opinion. It is the witches banner that might need tweaks as explained.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hi Kheel,

thanks for your comments. The Witch Elves have 20mm bases so no worries there.

I have changed the banner for the witch elves as most people thought it looked to chaos like. I will post a pic soon. I thought about moulding noses but all of the heads I used from the daemonette sprue have very small noses - the heads I didnt use from the spru were the ones without noses.

Still undecided about the BG banner - I have had mixed reviews - I have an alternate banner I am thinking of using will post and get some further comments soon.

Currently painting so will hopefully be able to post some painted shots soon.

Thanks.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

A few things:

Speartips are un-necessary and/or a bit too large. They distract from the rest of the model.

Daemonette heads are clearly daemonic, wood elf heads might work better.

The standard icons you are using are a bit blatantly slaaneshi I think.

As regards curvature on armour... YMMV. Real armour is not sexy, you can't see curves. On the other hand, this is an extremely OTT fantasy game. Whatever floats your boat really.

Anyway, the end result here is you've got some *extremely* nice conversions. I'm just not sure you've hit the exact feel you were aiming for.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

I really like the look of the exes, old school axes suit them well, but I'm not sure I agree with the legs. They are wearing heavy armour and chainmail, yet have rags protecting their legs? The witch elves I don't like as much because the heads don't look elfy enough to me. Also, they are all at an awkward position walking forward but leaning backwards, but that could just be the photo. Anyway, I love that you tried and came out with some good models. Maybe you have given birth to a whole new wave of conversions like the glade rider/dark riders.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Alternativeramblings
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alternativeramblings »

Very original and creative conversions.

I agree on the comments about the slaaneshi banner.

But they look fantastic. Looking forward to seeing them painted.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Dark Elf Black Guard Completed

Post by cultofkhaine »

Well here you are - I have just finished painting this unit - I hope you like. As always any comments would be greatly appreciated. I hope to post some more images soon.

Last edited by cultofkhaine on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.