Mangara's Army, The beginning. A fair few pics are present.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Mangara
Trainee Warrior

Mangara's Army, The beginning. A fair few pics are present.

Post by Mangara »

Here is some of what I have painted for my army. I chose a purple color scheme but not such a traditional one. I am a slow mediocre painter so the quality isn't the best and I don't put very many models out very fast, but I try.

The entire army is done with a green eyed theme. I am going for serpent eyes. I have even sculpted a snake onto my Battle Standard, unfortunately she isn't pictured here because I have no paint on her.

Without farther ado:
These are my crossbows with shields, I have another 12 just like them painted to a tabletop standard.

This is the command for my Executioners, I am pretty happy with the way they turned out, the one gripe I have is with the serpent eyes on the banner, they aren't centered and it bothers me very much, I will most likely repaint them when the rest of the army is done.

The back of my Driach-Master

Lone Standard Bearer

Here is my Assassin, his eye was painted by my brother who is a much better painter than I and it was him who gave me the idea for the green eyes. (Some of my bro's work can be found here)

These are pictures of my Army's general, I saw her at a local hobby/spirit shop and fell in love with the model. I immediately saw a she-elf who grew up on the edge of the chaos wastes that was robbed of her chance to serve Khaine as a bride so she has devoted herself to him by leading an army of his followers into battle across the world.

As for the model and not the character, she is from the Reaper range, her name is Casiatta, The Anti-paladin for any who may be interested.

And for painting. This is my first attempt at NMM and it isn't going too well. the gold on the hilt and pommel of the sword look fine, but I am not very good at silver(as I'm sure you can tell). I have already been over the tutorials and I'm going to attempt to emulate the painting on the sword of GeOrc's GD entry, but if any of you have any pointers I have missed it would be greatly appreciated.

-I will attempt to update this as I get more painted, but as I said, I am slow.

-Mangara
Arkazath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arkazath »

wow, better painting than me, and i thought i was mediocre! great stuff, i especialy like the look of the shields resting on the fringe of your crossbowmens war plate. great job!
"i exist to kill. let me have my tally."

dreadlord arkazath after recieving orders to cease keeping a kill tally, seeing as all murders belong to khaine.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Good job. Simple but effective dark color scheme. Your treatment of the armor and skin tones is quite nice.

I do think there are some large areas of black that could do with some freehand work -- the cloak of the champion for example, and the banner symbol should be larger to fill the space better.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

Nice work! I like your army so far. I don't know what you mean by mediocre, you're good, just not at the paint-god level yet. ;) Just your nmm is needing improvement. I'm no expert on it however, so I'll leave it to another person to explain.

The banner bothers me too. I think painting a serpent, like the one on your shileds would help the eyes alot. Right now they just look like ovals. Maybe do the glowing eyes on the shields too.
Mangara
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mangara »

Yeah the eyes were supposed to come out better, they didn't turn out at all how I practiced. Maybe a serpent would work better with the army, i will have to give it a shot when I paint my BG banner.

Now that I look at it, I couldn't agree with your more Dyvim, I will work on some freehand stuff for large areas like that as time goes on. My issue is that I can't stick to one thing too long or I get bored, so I have 4 or 5 WIP models going at a time and a couple conversions. The next model I plan to finish is my Character, so I will hopefully have some pics of her up with some freehand on her shield within a week or so.

-Mangara
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

I like it a lot! Great job! Wanna see more.I particularly like the skin tone. Great job!
Purgedbythe-flamez
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Purgedbythe-flamez »

those are pretty sweet i'm not gonna lie.
Mangara
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mangara »

thank you everyone for your compliments! I was especially surprised by those that I got on the skin as this was the first time I had painted any large amount of flesh.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should paint the flesh above the hilt of the sword on my character? I was going to try and make it non-skin as she is not a manflayer like the model that I hacked the sword blade from. If all else fails I will paint it a skin color but I just figured I would try to get a few ideas from the best druchii think tank around.

-Mangara
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

Wow, those are very nice.

When you say non-skin does that include leather? Because leather of some colour is always an option, if for no other reason it is far from association with man-skin yet still fits the way the bit is sculpted.
ImageImage
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Nice so far. Not keen on the RXBmen's shields laying on the floor like that. Overall the colour scheme is nice and well executed. Look forward to seeing more. Good work.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Shooter
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shooter »

I would have to agree with every one else. Very nice paint Job. Defintely better than mediocre.
Darknightshade
Warrior

Post by Darknightshade »

great work, the paint job looks really god and I love your general do you know where I could find that model? ..I want her :o
My Army Plog

"We're Part Of A Story, Part Of A Tale,
Sometimes Beautiful, Sometimes Insane"
Alternativeramblings
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alternativeramblings »

I love your work. The purple is subtle but very striking, it really pops.
Excellent job.

Just an idea... The banner is a little bare, what about adding more eyes?
Then again that seems a little chaos-y. So maybe not.
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Very nice. I especially like that your RxB elves are not the normal"I carry my sheild on my back" elves. neet way to incorperate a different style.
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Mangara
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mangara »

Sorry it's been so long since I responded... I spent spent 3 weeks at Boot Camp for the United States Marine Corps before they decided they were going to send me home for a medical non issue. and I have been without the internet for the week that I have been home, but that is neither here nor there.

On to your comments:

@Mneshius: I painted the flesh on the sword leather before I left for basic training and I am happy with the way it turned out, thank you for the idea.

@Xizor: I put the shields laying on the ground because I was tired of seeing shields glued to backs. I figured it would sort of give the impression that the crossbowmen were digging in and preparing to defend the "obstacle" that is their shields. Much like Brettonian stakes.

@DarkNightshade: She is from the Reaper range. Her name is Casiatta the Anti-Paladin. She comes with a little tiny sword thst is really quite awful, so I hacked up one of my Manflayers for his great weapon.

AlternativeRamblings: I have already painted over what is on the banner and I'm currently trying to come up with something to fill the space better and really make the banner pop.

@Everyone else who didn't have specific questions criticisms: Thank you very much for the overall positive feedback. It came as quite a shock to me that a community hosting some of the best painters in the hobby would have such a high opinion of my work.

-Mangara[/list]
Shooter
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shooter »

As ive already said, great models they look good. If you don't mind though I have one small criticism, I think the Anti Paladin's black armour needs a little bit of highlighting so it doesn't look so flat. Unless thats just the photo not doing it justice.
Mangara
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mangara »

Shooter wrote:If you don't mind though I have one small criticism, I think the Anti Paladin's black armour needs a little bit of highlighting so it doesn't look so flat. Unless thats just the photo not doing it justice.

The only reason there is black armor on the figure at all right now is because she is still unfinished. I am planning on painting all of her armor to match the rest of my army and her right leg. Now that may end up being too much purple/pink so I may change stuff up a bit, but as of now her armor is just primed and that may be the reason it looks flat.

-Mangara