I need help for converting Cold One Knights

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Balor
Trainee Warrior

I need help for converting Cold One Knights

Post by Balor »

Hey,
as the title said it, I need some help in converting the Druchii plastic knights.

I love the style of the old knights, but the new ones are better: plastic, cheaper and the cold ones are amazing...but the design of the knights themselves isn't the style of the background and the pictures.

The one thing I'm concerned about is the helmet, cause it is a kind of open, in direct comparison to the old knights and the background.
Now I want the old style for the helmets back and is anybody out there who can help me with that?
I want closed helmets and the..."horns???""" or blades on the helmets.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Moved to P&M.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Cronos
Assassin

Post by Cronos »

Hey, I'm trying to do the same thing with my Cold one Knights.

I've filled off all the skulls, bolts and adornments on the plastic knights, used the old lances and for the helms; I've simply cut the new plastic heads in half up to the top of the eye holes, and cut the old metal knights helms off below the horns and put the two together.
It takes a little while to get the two halves evenly filed so they sit properly, but the end result is very nice.
Hope this helps.
Kulrik (Group 39)
WS:4 S:4 T:4 D:2 I:4
Class: Warrior
Equipment: Light armour, Sea dragon cloak, Mace, Dagger.
Inventory: -
Skills: -
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

That sounds real interesting. Could <you send me some pics, please?

So, with your method my knights wouldn't become cheaper, of course, so I would like to take a look.
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

It sounds like all you want to do is put 6th edition metal Knights on 7th edition plastic Cold Ones. That being the case, you ought to be able to find some inexpensive 6th edition Cold One Knights (on eBay, or on the trading forum here) and plunk them onto the new-style Cold Ones. No actual conversion work needed (apart from swapping riders).
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

If that works, it could be a possibility for my knights, but the fact is, that I like the new ones, instead of this f*****g helmet...and I'm still an apprentice...money isn't growing on trees.
And I like plastic from core to rare...heroes should be in metal, but that is another discussion.
With plastic I'm living on the cheap side of life, the army is faster in the fields, I got not so much heart attacks, when I'm building them up and I got more possibilities for conversations.
Dark Riders and Shades...Corsairs with Wood Elf parts...better then the original...and a simple method.

So isn't there a simple method for these damned helmets?
Aren't there some bits of another armies for "closing" the helmet???
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

My point was that metal can be cheaper than plastic if you're willing to hunt for bargains.

As regards closing off the helms on the current edition plastic Cold One Knights, couldn't you just put a dab of modeling putty (green stuff/milliput/etc.) in the offending area and then smooth it out to make an enclosed, casque-style helmet...?
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

I've just tried putting an old metal Knight on a new plastic Cold One this very day, and I have to say with the one I had it didn't work - for a couple of reasons. One, the Knight has the saddle as part of his lower half, and two, the Cold One looks too small in comparison to him, in my opinion. So I wouldn't personally put the old Knight on the new Cold One, though of course I only had a sample size of one figure.

You could file away the built-in saddle part, that might well work (and I'm sorely tempted to try, because it really is a very nice old figure - it has a small dragonet-type familiar and some nice detailing on the mail skirts). So I'd go with the headswap method myself if what you want is the spiky helmet look :)

I'm trying to think of a way to make a nice job of using some of the spare Corsair heads on a Cold One Knight or two, myself (it's the hair I like), but the deep bevor is giving me problems ...

I'd second the green stuff to close the helmet, you'll need a tiny amount - the best tip I got for working with green stuff is 'keep your working tools slightly wet', otherwise it just sticks to the thing you're modelling with, not the model - though that might just be me.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

I have an idea for you. I remember Sarcon using the plastic warrior heads on his knights in his blog. They are a bit more closed off, and pointy at the top than our current knight heads. For the horns, you could use the daggers that come with the corsairs and attach them to the visors. How good it looks will largely depend on your gs skills.
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

Thank you all for your rich ideas.
When I'm looking to the background, then the helmets of the knights aren't anything more than Warrior Helmets with some extras. I got this idea, too, but my skills with Green Stuff are unfortunately limited...man, if they were better I wouldn't have such problems...
How difficult would it be to model an enclosed, casque-style helmet on the actual plastic knights?
I got some experience with this Green Stuff and it would be good, if it isn't to easy and that I can make some skills...and get the models I want to have, of course.
The horns are the last problem...
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

I took a very close look to the minis and read some articles about Green Stuff (especially the one of the amazing Cathay Army) and I think I can manage the problem with s little GS and bitz from the Corsairs.
Eevil is ruling over my existence.
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

As Seralkith said, I used plastic Warrior heads on my CoKs

Here's a pic of them

The necks of the warrior heads are a bit shorter, causing them to "sink" more into the armour, making them look more sinister. I hate the new CoK heads aswel. Using warrior heads was a cheap and simple solution for me.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

Yeah, I saw theat pic. It is okay, cause it is fitting with the background, but (BIG but...) the Druchii knights are waering warrior helmets with extra parts.

I think I'm experimenting a little bit and use both heads with GS sculpt.

And if you are taking a close look on the old knights you can see exactly the style of warrior helmets.
I try it! :D
Eevil is ruling over my existence.