[PLOG] Azoth´s diabolical forge

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

That Khorne standard bearer is excellent!

I really like the squigs too, great stuff!
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Finally I got back the squigs and took some photos...

It´s absic and fast painting...

the blue one...

the red one....

Death before dishonor
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

red one is my favorite! has a lot of personality!
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

The magic is back!!

The forge is on fire again!

One more Khornite done and WIP of the next one

Death before dishonor
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

That belt on the first Khornite is spectacular! Nice to see you are still around.

Un abrazo,
Rafa.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Thanks mate, Glad you like it...

and of course, welcome back Rafa!

un abrazo para ti tambien
Death before dishonor
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

another one bites the dust

a B&W photo to avoid the putty color mixture

Death before dishonor
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

you got some GS skills mate! especially the first Khornite is one awesome model! as Rafaf pointed out, briliant belt!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Re: [PLOG] Azoth´s diabolical forge

Post by Lord_azoth »

Hi again Khaine´s children...
The forge is still on fire, a tiny one but still not extinct...
Now I´m on something more DE related...THIS!

Raging Heroes Manticore:

http://www.ragingheroes.com/collections ... /manticore

It was love at first sight.

The unboxing:

Parts:
- 2x wings
- Base + rear legs and front legs claws
- Torso + front legs
- The plastic bags contains the rider (I omit him because I´m not going to use it and It´s a bit ugly) + 2 part head (upper part + jaw)

This is a bit tricky because It´s really difficult to fix it well at first time, too many joining points. Any bended or curved resin part makes this impossible.
You can heat/freeze the resin easily (like FW models) to adjust the form and make the assembly easier. Or glue the parts directly and fill gaps after. I did this because I was going to make some modifications on the model.

Let´s see it in detail; the RH resin is really nice. Probably what GW wanted with its FailCast. A resin more flexible, more plastic and less brittle. It has NO bubbles, a really polished finish, very very few mold lines and easily drilled or cut.

The main problem is that the miniature doesn´t look in many ways as the 3D renderer and could be improved.
The worst part are the detail and finish in the “sharp” parts, claws mainly, teeth. These parts look blunter in the miniature than in the 3D render:

Veins and other details look a bit duller in the miniature than in the render and I´ve the feeling that the real manticore looks a bit smaller than the digital one. The digital manticore looks bigger, more muscular…more menacing.
My score would be a 6,5-7/10. I must say I was a bit disappointed after the unboxing. It´s not a cheap miniature and it is not up to what the box shows.

In view of this, I contacted them about my concerns and send them the comparison photos I made.
I must say that RH has an AWESOME customer service. The mail flux was fast and fluid, they sent me for free a new manticore and even they had an amazing detail adding to the manticore the other option for head, Shedu´s one:

10/10 for Raging Heroes!

Unfortunately the new manticore was almost identical to the previous one, with blunt claws, lack of some detail, etc. Maybe the mold has been used too many times, or it´s a really hard miniature to cast properly. I don´t know.

So, if you are going to buy this model, because it should be really awesome, my advice: first of all open the box and check how it looks. Maybe in future castings they will have solved these issues. I hope so.
Death before dishonor
treeapple
Warrior

Post by treeapple »

:shock: your sculpting is really awesome. :burns:

Thanks for sharing your experience with the RH Manticore. I'm looking for a manticore Mini and I dislike the current GW WoC mini, so this is a good alternative.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Damn! That model is something else! Have you seen the new pics of the proposed DE Kickstarter by Raging Hero's? Some really top notch stuff so far, though no date has been set yet.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Wow! I just discovered this blog! I just caught up on what you've been up to during my 4 year hiatus!

Awesome stuff! The musculature that you are creating is really great. Did Rambo ever get painted photos? That figure is terrific. It's funny because I pegged him as Rambo with the first photo from the perfect facial expression on that head you used.

Excellent work. Now it's time for me to get to work.....
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Will you use the stock rider? If not... ?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Your Chaos Warriors are so much better that the GW originals :shock:
(I find the CAD era is really taking the polish off GW's FB Chaos models; thanks for injecting some life and menace into them!)

Your greenstuff work is some of the best around 8)

Are you using GW bits for them? or from other manufacturers?
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Azoth, very sorry to hear about the RHs manticore. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've heard of this. A friend asked one of the first sculpts and the result was more than disappointing.

For what is worth, I'm all in favor of designing in 3D, but the pictures with which you sell your product need to be of the actual mass-produced mini, not even the 3d transfer, which is still of higher quality. Yes, the level of detail lost makes RH not a valid option for those 'hero' minis we love to have :( .

Too bad, the sculpt is really nice! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Un abrazo,
Rafa.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

@treeapple: Thanks mate. IMHO the model would be awesome if the miniature were like the 3D render. Now, It´s just an expensive nice model with some awesome details (pose, design) with a not so good finish.

@ xFallenx: Thanks. I´ve seen the sneak peeks of the DE KS..and I´m truly eager to get them...or at least see the translation of these awesome drawings to a model

@ Lion of flanders: Thanks for your kind words, coming from a master like you makes me really proud of my work and totally flattered

@ Layne: I´ve got 2 sets of riders, and don´t want any. I´ll keep one set of legs to know how I should dispose the legs of future riders of the manticore. If you want the rest of pieces send me a PM.

@T.D.: Thanks! you made me blush. It was what I really wanted, make them menacing, show the power of chaos... create a fearful unit. They are made all with GW bits, putty and some Khorne brass etched from FW

@ Rafapolit: Hi Rafa! How long since hearing from you. Yes, you are totally right. The photos in the box should be the real model, not just a 3D render. It´s a pity because I have RH´s blood vestals (SCIFI and fantasy) and they are EXACTLY as the 3D renderer..awesome. And the vestal character is wonderful too.
Maybe the manticore being one of their first model was not as perfect as the lattest ones. Or maybe the mold has been too much used.
Death before dishonor
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

More updates…
These are my tests for claws. Initially I sculpted one on the miniature, but it was really difficult to achieve the desired shape. So I asked a friend of mine (master sculptor and painter Banshee) and told me that was better or at least easier to sculpt them out of the mini. Once they are dried I´ll file/cut/etc. them easier than if they were already attached to the mini. When the shape is nice, I´ll glue them.

The other photos show the claws gaps, the final shape of the saddle (need some filing, some details) and how I bulked a bit the miniature to make it look more powerful.

Death before dishonor
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

First batch of claws attached:

I´m really satisfied of the result, now it looks like more than a beast should. There are some mini gaps to fill and need some refining in the claw/paw join
Death before dishonor
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

Really good. Those modifications were needed indeed and the manticore looks better that way, more muscular. Don't forget the thumb claws.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

@Jarvax: Thanks mate!

slow but advancing on a firm step, more updates!

Wing joint finished
The hole

The wing

fixed!

All the claws finished

I begin with some leather straps for the saddle

My first attempt for the upper teeth

I ruined these teeth, so I´ll have to figure other thing out...
Death before dishonor
Artfactial
Warrior

Post by Artfactial »

So in awe of your sculpting skills...
This thread is a massive bucket of inspiration!

Love the Manticore already!
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Hey Azoth! ALways been a fan! I love what youre doing with the Manticore! Please keep us updated with new pics!
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Keep up the amazing work on that Manticore, you've made it something almost completely your own.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Some really inspiring work in here Azoth.

Thanks in particular for the low down on the RH Manticore. I have been eying it up for some time, but have held off getting it because I had heard it was quite small. The work you are putting into the musculature seems to be putting that right, bulking it out really nicely. The claws look brilliant as well.

When magnetising a wing like that, when it is all finished (i.e after painting etc), is the seam very noticeable? I have seen plenty of joints magnetised flat on the surface (like our Black Dragon) and the wings always just end up looking stuck on. Just wondering if recessing the join like that fixes that problem.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

@Artfact, @Ampao and @xFallenx: Thanks for your comments mates, they are truly inspiring. It´s always nice to see that people like your work
@Amarok: Thanks Amarok, I´ll post photos once the manticore is finished. I think that the recesses in the joints will look natural (or I hope so ;) )
Death before dishonor