How to convert a Manticore?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Runax
Slave (off the Altar)

How to convert a Manticore?

Post by Runax »

Personally, I despise the manticore model. I'm wondering how one would convert something to be passably a manticore, but still look good. I'm thinking of using either the HE Dragon or the LOTR Winged Nazgul as a base, but beyond that I'm lost. Does anyone have any good advice?

Thanks,
Runax
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I would suggest that both of your body choices are a bit serpentine to make for a good manticore.

I made mine (I'm with you BTW, in that I think the stock Manticore model is very weak) out of a Carnasaur. Put some wings on it and change the head, and that's about it.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Assassination nation
Shade

Post by Assassination nation »

Hey. New to the forum but thought id put in my two cents.
Im in the middle of converting a manticore because, like you, i think the current one is crap.
Any way im useing a high elf war lion and balrog wings. I havent recieved the wings yet but theyre smaller than the dragon wings. i wanted them but they are a bit too big from what i can tell.
Bigalthebrute
Shade

Post by Bigalthebrute »

The Balrog wings are twice as big as dragon wings.
~Big AL
Assassination nation
Shade

Are they really? I havent seen the dragon wings in the plastic but i thought they looked bigger than the balrog wings. thanks for the heads up though. that would have sucked...
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Just get thew current manticore model, chop his head off, and replace it with a HE Lion head from the chariot kit.

Bad pic, but you'll get the idea.

Currently I tore this conversion apart again to rework it, and make it look more "custom".
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Assassination nation
Shade

Thats the right idea. It looks rad. I dontg know why but i am way against the wings from the manticore mini also. They look so static.
Your mini looks great and thats just about exactly what i want to go for.
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Yea, I'm changing the wings ASAP too. I got some HE dragon wings lying around, I'll use those.

I found a few more pics, with the old wings still on.

Be sure to check out my Army blog.