Xander's Chaos Dwarfs @ Games Day 2010

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Xandor
Slave (off the Altar)

Xander's Chaos Dwarfs @ Games Day 2010

Post by Xandor »

My brother and I ran a Club Table for Chaos Dwarfs Online, and we snapped a bunch of pictures while we were there. For the table I had to finish a bunch of Chaos Dwarf units! Plenty of pictures can be found here. In order to get the pictures up as soon as possible, we just batch uploaded everything, which means there are plenty of badly lit and blurry pictures, so mind those ones!

http://picasaweb.google.com/davidjclarke/Baltimore

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :D
Kramandire
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kramandire »

Are any of the pictures in focus?
Death before dishonor.
Xandor
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Xandor »

Several are not in focus, as I said.

I will be taking some individual unit pictures soon, after I touch up the models a bit more.
Kramandire
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kramandire »

Truthfully I am a little disappointed...

I was following the threads over at the CDO and your table sounded like it was really going to be coo,l but it ended up looking like all the other foam cutter tables with a Hirst Arts style castle topper. Its not really bad, Just VERY common, its a shame too with all the talent over there...

Well at least you did one... I should have one for the next show, I going a different way for my cliffs and stuff.

Hope to see ya then...
K

Xandor wrote:Several are not in focus, as I said.

I will be taking some individual unit pictures soon, after I touch up the models a bit more.
Death before dishonor.
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

that is one b*tch of a table, hirst or not. Are you playing those? There is an unofficial set of rules http://battlereporter.freeforums.org/wa ... l-f88.html which you are most definitely aware of, are these of any serious use? It would be shame not to play that army...
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Kramandire
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kramandire »

Savonarola wrote:that is one b*tch of a table, hirst or not. Are you playing those? There is an unofficial set of rules http://battlereporter.freeforums.org/wa ... l-f88.html which you are most definitely aware of, are these of any serious use? It would be shame not to play that army...

I am sorry I'm a purest I don't believe that Armies that are not current should not be supported. A good example is the Chaos Dwarfs. Their time has came and went. And now that Forge World is not going to make a version of the Chaos Dwarfs... its time to retire them.

Its not really fair for current armies to play Version 5 Armies, the version 5 armies have too much teeth in them. And Special books wrote by those groups make it even less fair.
Death before dishonor.
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

Thanks for posting the picks, looks like a great table, also gives me some ideas for the BfSP box I won last weekend.
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Mettare
Corsair

Post by Mettare »

I am sorry I'm a purest I don't believe that Armies that are not current should not be supported.

So you believe they should be supported then? :lol:

Are you serious? Why do you care? What an unnecessary view. At least learn to spell 'purist'.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Kramandire wrote:
Savonarola wrote:that is one b*tch of a table, hirst or not. Are you playing those? There is an unofficial set of rules http://battlereporter.freeforums.org/wa ... l-f88.html which you are most definitely aware of, are these of any serious use? It would be shame not to play that army...

I am sorry I'm a purest I don't believe that Armies that are not current should not be supported. A good example is the Chaos Dwarfs. Their time has came and went. And now that Forge World is not going to make a version of the Chaos Dwarfs... its time to retire them.

Its not really fair for current armies to play Version 5 Armies, the version 5 armies have too much teeth in them. And Special books wrote by those groups make it even less fair.

There is a difference between Purist and Elitist. You are the latter. If you spend the coin on a GWgame, you should be able to play said GW game. No matter what revision it is.
Kramandire
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kramandire »

xFallenx wrote:
Kramandire wrote:

There is a difference between Purist and Elitist. You are the latter. If you spend the coin on a GWgame, you should be able to play said GW game. No matter what revision it is.

Not an elitist... I believe if you want to play version 5 game thats fine... its when you try to take a version 5 army agaist a version 8 army is when I object... The current game play is much more different that it was back in the 90's and it gives a version 5 an advanage.

I feel your pain I have spent a a great deal of money over the years only to have the rules change and the part of an amry disappear. This why theres a bunch of use that still play Version 6 and 7 rules.

Besides there are no chaos Dwarf rules for Version 7 or 8 and barely one for 6.
Death before dishonor.
Xandor
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Xandor »

That's really not a unique point of view. And certainly for tournament goers, it is important to have a list of armies that you can learn about in advance such that there are no surprises when you play.

In such instances, people often opt to use the Dwarfs Army Book using the "counts as" concept.

In friendly games, the Ravening Hordes list is more than sufficient. It's only two pages as well, which makes learning about Chaos Dwarfs very easy.

As for the table itself: we would have liked to have spent more time on it, but time constraints prevented that. I was taking several university courses and working full time. My brother was getting licensed to be a Real Estate agent. I barely had to time to paint up the Chaos Dwarf army (I painted over 100 models in the week leading up to Games Day).

The castle was made using MDF in about 3 days. I agree that the table was not extremely unique. We simply didn't have the time to make anything more elaborate. As my brother and I live in different cities separated by some 500 km, it was rather difficult to co-ordinate at all.

That said, I am very happy with what we were able to produce under such time constraints.