Black Ink vs. Baddab Black (Wash)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Guy19
Slave (off the Altar)

Black Ink vs. Baddab Black (Wash)

Post by Guy19 »

Couple years back I bought the black ink and Chestnut Ink, which worked great on my BA Space Marines.

Recently tho, when I do a wash of black ink over boltgun metal armour and then try to highlight/paint over the wash with Boltgun Metal again it comes out pretty chunky :?

So I was wondering if anyone can tell a difference between the two 'wash' options and maybe anyother advice you feel might be worth adding in.

Thankyou for the feedback
armadillo?
Guy19
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Guy19 »

one more thing i want to add.

Would anyone guess that the Baddab Black might be thinner than the Black ink, even when i try to spread out the ink sometimes it looks like it might have gone on too thick (this could be my fault too!).
armadillo?
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

Hi guy,

Some ideas on that topic:

1. Old paints tend to flock. Pigments stick to each other and create flakes. You'll find that with light yellowish paints in the extreme.
2. Shake 'em baby! Really, that might help. When you have access to tiny metal balls you might want to put some into the pot, like it is in spray cans.
3. Thin them. When paintng I'd ALWAYS!! advise against using paint directly out of the pot. Thin paints with water at least 1:1. (Yes, that;s bold italic underined caps. Did I miss exclamation marks?)
4. Buy new washes or use strongly thinned Chaos Black. The washes get a slightly glossy finish - not everybodys taste.

Kind regards.
CAT

Also: please edit your post if it is the last one in a thread. It enhances the readability of threads :-) .
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

There is no comparison between Black Ink and Badab Black.

In that matchup Badab Black is GOLD.

You can aply it liberally to any surface and it will find all recesses by itself (of course if you go too heavy with it the recesses will be 'really' dark.

Black ink tends to form blotches and spots on any surface remotely resembling flat, you won't get that with badab black.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Black Ink is generally MUCH thicker than its wash counterpart. The wash is very light, almost transparent, black ink on the other hand, approaching opaque.

Washes do tend to give you a glossy finish, and I love using it for that purpose for my non-metallics and faethery wings.

You could try thinning out the black ink with water, with lots of water, so don't dip too much paint out of the pot otherwise you'll probably end up washing your palette.

Anyway, Inks are a bit too strong for my needs, I like the washes MUCH better ;)
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Before the Citadel Washes, I used to make my own washes with a mix of water, ink, and acrylic medium. Worked very similar to the current washes.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

Before the Citadel Washes, I used to make my own washes with a mix of water, ink, and acrylic medium. Worked very similar to the current washes.

Exactly. Still works the best for me. Anyway, current washes are very effective for most uses.
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Durzod
Corsair

Post by Durzod »

An old trick with inks/washes is to test them by painting across a fingertip and see how it reacts with your fingerprints. Ideally thry should show up crisply.

PS. Be sure to wipe off your fingers.
The pellet with the poison's in the.Vessel with the Pestle.
The Chalice from the Palace has the brew that is true.
-------------------------------------------------------
Nowhere in the rules does it say that Giant's CAN'T fly.
Guy19
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Guy19 »

sorry about the terribly late reply but thankyou very Largely everybody
armadillo?