Manticores...

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Speaking about alternative models…

Somewhere I have seen some kind of a wolf-dragon-hybrid, a giant wolf with scales in it’s back, IIRC… something like that, it’s log ago. Does anyone know what I’m speaking about or maybe even how it is called and where to find?

Edit: Never mind, already found:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/minia ... sin-1.html
(Will become my count-as Manticore I think.)
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

It is butt ugly, really. Even uglier than the old DE manticore, and thats not a pretty model either.
- I made one myself, which i really love, even tho i still use the other one (old) when i play.

The dark elf dragon i actually think is awesome, a bit odd pose yes, but other than that? it will look great besides a converted HE dragon i think - therefor i have ordered one, if just waylandgames would get a grip and send it already... 11 days ago i ordered it and counting. :(
-JK.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Enkiel wrote:so, its the whole story of complaining about a model before seeing it in the flesh? how often has this happened so far?

And just like any other time, people will change their mind once they get it in their hand.

as for that other Manticore WIP product, i dont know, do you really wanna pay even more just to get some kind of hulk-meet-lion-meet-pegasus kinda beef, that has so many detail that you can just dip it and be done with it?

I'd personally wait to at least get my hand on it before trashing it like that.

Seen it in its flesh, as horrible as it looked on paper. And yes I would pay more for a 'hulk-meet-lion-meet-pegasus-but-actually-looks-good' mini. One of the main reasons, in fact biggest reason, why people get into this expensive hobby is because they fell in love with some beautiful piece of mini that was sculpted. Kind of like with people, appearance is the first step in catching someone's interest.

I love the hair for the DE sorc, but I really dislike that fat waist, what's worse, they gave her defining abs too...

The Chimera is ok...because of the heads, the DE dragon I absolutely hate. (yes seen in flesh too). It doesn't look fierce at all, its body is way too small compared to its head, the whole model infact, is just proportionally smaller than what a dragon sized model should be. Dragons are meant to be mythical epic beasts, that one just says "look at me I'm so cute, come pat me." That thing is a dragonling, not an adult dragon.

The Cockatrice I like on the other hand, well, compared to all the monsters released for Storms so far, it's the only decent monster designed. But they're all so ridiculously expensive for...plastic? Price hiked much?
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

Meteor wrote:... But they're all so ridiculously expensive for...plastic? Price hiked much?

And did you see price for 1 resin Cold One? :lol: :lol: :lol: The model looks good, I would much rather use this as beast for CoCh, than cut things off from Co from CoK set but the price is just ridiculous.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Just be glad that the dark elf dragon costs the same as the high elf dragon, I was half expecting them to make it more expensive.
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

thetosh wrote:Just be glad that the dark elf dragon costs the same as the high elf dragon, I was half expecting them to make it more expensive.

That was a fear of mine too.. Lucky us.
-JK.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

I have the new GW Manticore, whilst not as nice as my conversion ;), it isn't actually all that bad. I did a bit of work on the wings and the legs so that it doesn't look like it's falling over quite so much.

I'll get some photos up later.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Xizor wrote:I have the new GW Manticore, whilst not as nice as my conversion ;), it isn't actually all that bad. I did a bit of work on the wings and the legs so that it doesn't look like it's falling over quite so much.

I'll get some photos up later.

I really look forward to see that.. From what i have seen on GW's pictures, it really is a shitty model.. sorry for the language, but it is!
The only way I thought it could look decent was if you put it next to the Cimera.. hint hint.
-JK.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

If you flat out hate the model, these alterations are hardly likely to change your mind. If however, like me, you saw some form of potential in the dodgy sculpt then you may appreciate my small changes.

Basically I trimmed all the silly stuff off the back of the wings, and also replaced though weird pincer pinions with a single spike. I then used a lighter to heat up the legs are slightly reposed them - my only aim was to stop it looking like it's falling over!

Rather than having a rider, I am gonna make a place on the base for a 20mm base to be inserted so I can change characters around. Anyway....

Enjoy.
Chris
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Here is my attempt to make the new Manti into something I could accept within my army.

Basically I have made it into a leaping stance by changing head, leg and arm positions. made the left arm straighter and its paw more like the right one. The original left paw looked very strange - with exposed tendons on the back of the paw even though it was almost closed. Also I removed the pot belly and sculpted a ribcage and added more fur.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

If you cut and greenstuff the right toes to be straight, you could put it on a flying base like the new griffon. That would hide a lot of the ills of the standard goofy pose IMO.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Or even without changing anything you could let him start horizontaly from an rock similar to the HE dragon. But sulla is right, something like this is the last bit that has to be done to elemenate it's original sillyness. ;)

That far a really good conversion and I like how you solved the belly problem.