Painting a Hydra

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Squanto315
Trainee Warrior

Painting a Hydra

Post by Squanto315 »

Hello all, I recently acquired 2 hydras and I was wondering how I should paint them. I was thinking of maybe black or dark red or maybe bright yellow.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

8th edition W/D/L
legion of the Bloody Snowflake 4/0/3
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

What is the color scheme of the rest of your army? You want something that will complement it and not clash. Neutral colors -- black, white & gray -- will work regardless of what the rest of your army looks like.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Squanto315
Trainee Warrior

Post by Squanto315 »

The rest of my army is primarily black and red with snow bases.

8th edition W/D/L
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

One yellow and one blue
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

thenick18 wrote:One yellow and one blue

Maybe if you want your army to look like an explosion at a paint factory. Seriously, this would horrible. Your army should have a limited palate, not a rainbow.

With the scheme you describe, I personally think it would look good to have a couple of albino hydras. The white would tie in to the snow bases and would not clash with your scheme like blue or yellow would.
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:
thenick18 wrote:One yellow and one blue

Maybe if you want your army to look like an explosion at a paint factory. Seriously, this would horrible. Your army should have a limited palate, not a rainbow.

With the scheme you describe, I personally think it would look good to have a couple of albino hydras. The white would tie in to the snow bases and would not clash with your scheme like blue or yellow would.

Agreed, and giving them red eyes as per albinos would also tie to your colour scheme.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I personally like the idea of having Lizzie type mounts/monsters etc clash a little bit with the army as the colour of a lizards scales aren't going to evolve to a state that suits a cultures preferred colours, although on the opposite side of the coin, a cultures preferred colours could very well be selected by the colour of their mounts/monsters.
To each their own.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

My army is black and red and my hydra is a deep blue color and doesn't clash. However I haven't seen a yellow hydra so I thought that would be pretty sweet. To me, hydras are individual beasts, unless from the same family, their scales aren't going to be exactly alike. Again, to each their own, and their own reasons for it.)
Hansleonard
Corsair

Post by Hansleonard »

i field an army with a Turqoise/Red theme. My first hydra are red and i'm planning on a Grey/White second one. I, just as thenick think that hydras should be different from the rest of the army colourwise as they are different creatures with differen genes.. So it's only natural to have different colours on them. Plus i think white can really fir into my otherwise pretty dark theme.
Squanto315
Trainee Warrior

Post by Squanto315 »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH So much green stuff and super glue but i got them together and look decent. Cant wait to prime them tommorow. I've decided on one albino one with red spines but the other i am deciding between black and red like lava or bright yellow, or maybe deep blue/purple.

8th edition W/D/L
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

No bright yellow!!!

Anything but bright yellow!!!
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Sometimes using the beasts in your army to give it a lil bit of colour works really well, esp when it 'contrasts' and complements your army! Its a Rare unit, y blend it in!!!! make it stand out - cause more fear!! mwahahahaha

My army is mostly blues/purples, my unit of Cold ones are brown lower/skins, with yellow scales and bone spikes! it contrasts with the blue/purple knights and blood red banner! i love the look, they stand out without looking too odd. Go for what will complement the unit and your army!
enjoy painting :)

Saori x
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I