New to Fantasy looking to convert a Manticore

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Johnnysigs
Slave on the Altar

New to Fantasy looking to convert a Manticore

Post by Johnnysigs »

Hi all,
I am kinda new to fantasy and i am really into it for the hobby aspect. However i do still play casual games, and will be attending some tournaments. My army is a Cold One themed army, a big block of knights, chariots, all the special characters are mounted on Cold Ones, the dark riders are cold ones converted with woodelf bits, and for my general i wanted him on a Manticore.
Now i like the new sculpt for chaos, but it would stand out in my army and not really contrast well with the rest of it. So my question is, is there any problem (from a game play level) if i was to use the Lizardmen's Kroq-Gar model +wings and a Dark Elf Lord as my stand in for a manticore. The Kroq-Gar model is quite large, and mounted on the same size base as the Dark Elf Manticore (not a chariot sized base but a 50mm squire) Anyone have an insight as to if this would be legal to run?
thanks a bunch!
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Re: New to Fantasy looking to convert a Manticore

Post by Loran »

Hey hey hey,

I've seen a number of conversions on the Kroq-Gar model as a Manticore, and it works out quite well! Yes, the model is a bit slimmer and more athletic-looking than the new Manticore, which is more of the brawler look :)

And no, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it, as long you make clear that it's a Manticore at the start of the deployment :D

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Manticore? I'm not so sure... Dragon I can see, it's giant lizard, now with wings.

But a manticore? I mean, sure, as long as you inform your opponent well beforehand. But to me it would just look too strong and not liony enough to be a manticore.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Normally I advice against proxies - but then when planning to use different models just to save a buck.

Your Cold One themed army is a completely different animal (!) and I do think using a large lizard would both look good and be an acceptable proxy.
Just make sure it gets some obviously Manticore features (such as the bat wings and scorpion tail) and it might give your army that little extra.

One other thing to consider would be to use the Carnosaur as a Dark Pegasus instead - especially since those are closer in scale and normally a better choice points wise.
Now that I write it ...
...I might even do that myself (I have a few winged Carnosaurs in my bitz box).
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Kendoka wrote:Normally I advice against proxies - but then when planning to use different models just to save a buck.

I am sure as hell not using the ugly Dark Riders that GW currently sells, and most certainly not at the price they are selling them at ;)
Warriors + Glade Riders kitbash for the win, cheaper models -and- better looking ones to the boot.

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Kalisthenes
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kalisthenes »

Kendoka wrote:Your Cold One themed army is a completely different animal (!) and I do think using a large lizard would both look good and be an acceptable proxy.
Just make sure it gets some obviously Manticore features (such as the bat wings and scorpion tail) and it might give your army that little extra.

A Carnosaur/ Manticore conversion would look amazing. Just get the manticor stinger barb from a bits store online along with a black dragons wing set and you are good to go. As pointed out elsewhere just tell your opponent what it is. He wont mind, the Maticore is pretty soft as far as monsters go with no armour and all. I for one am hoping that it gets a decent boost when the army book comes out. (and I dont belive that will be any time soon but heres hoping)

Kendoka wrote:One other thing to consider would be to use the Carnosaur as a Dark Pegasus instead - especially since those are closer in scale and normally a better choice points wise.
Now that I write it ...
...I might even do that myself (I have a few winged Carnosaurs in my bitz box).

I think that converting a Cold One into a Dark Pegasus is more of a like for like scale option than converting a carnosaur into one and it fits with the CO theme of the army too. We are discussing in that other thread over there ;) ..viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71821 - you may also want to consider using the cockatrice as and option for either the Manticore or Dark Peg as mentioned too.

@ Liquidedust Your Dark Pegasus conversion using Archaons mount is fantastic by the way! - and yep I hear you on the Dark Rider conversions I have just started mine using Glade Riders, DE Warriors and Chaos Marauder Steeds.