My speed-painted vintage (OOP) Dark elf army (ad. 1.2.2014)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

My speed-painted vintage (OOP) Dark elf army (ad. 1.2.2014)

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Hello,

I’d like to represent my 2400 point vintage dark elf army as my first post on this forum. While the army is old, from 3rd edition era, I’ve just finished painting it yesterday. I’ve owned some of the models from early 1990’s, some of the models were bought from friendly internet people or from online auctions.

My main army is vintage dwarfs, but I started (or should I say returned to) this army as a side project last autumn. Models were assembled (there are lots of conversions) and painted after Christmas 2012, e.g. in about two months. This was a speed painting project, which means I used Army Painter Dip for the first time in my life.

The dip worked ok in general, I only had to put extra attention to skin colour as it didn’t look good. Well there was some pouring… but I do think that the end result looks reasonable considering the time spend. After basecoat, dip and matt varnish I just added a few highlights and everything was almost ready. Standards, shields and some small details were then painted by hand and the bases finished.

If you have simple tips to improve the overall look of the army (it looks a little dark - I could add some highlights etc.), I’m open to ideas. All comments and questions are also welcome. But… here we go:

Cold One Knights + Battle Standard Bearer

Some riders are dark elves, some are high/wood elves. Battle Standard Bearer is on the right.

Repeater Crossbowmen + Supreme Sorceress

I had to sculpt some crossbows for the crossbowmen as these were missing (I used the same pattern crossbows for Dark Riders). Also, there’s an unit filler here.

Black Ark Corsairs + Sorcerer (!?)

The cloaks were hastily sculpted, as Corsairs didn’t exist at the time. I just used models with handbows.

Dark Riders

These are heavily converted wood elves - I sculted the cloaks etc.

Master on Dark Pegasus

Cheesy, but I had a chance… meaning eagle wings.

Harpies (Ral Partha)

These are sculpted by the same guy who did harpies for Citadel (Bob Olley). As I only have two Citadel Harpies I used these.

Shades

A few hand weapons added to original models.

War Hydra

It’s small, but it’s genuine :P

Reaper Bolt Thrower(s)

Crews are small even compared to other figures of the same era.

Unfinished:
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q50 ... 94b9f5.jpg

Converted Black Guard, third unit of Dark Riders etc. I also have a chariot conversion on the works.

So… I plan to finish the rest of the models in the near future, which means I’ll be eventually able to field a 3000 point army (or 2400 point army with some options). Thanks for looking!

P.S. Army list (ETC):

Heroes
Supreme Sorceress - Lvl 4 (Dark), Darkstar Cloak, Seal of Ghrond, Lifetaker (345)
Master (BSB) - Cold One, Hydra Banner, Hvy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance (216)
Master - Pegasus, Hvy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Pendant of Khaeleth, Dragonhelm, Biting Blade (190)
Sorceress - Lvl.1 (Fire), Tome of Furion, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon (145)

Core
19 Repeater Crossbowmen - Shields, Full Command (229)
11 Black Ark Corsairs - Full Command, Repeater Handbows, Reaver has a pair of Handbows, Gleaming Pennant (143)
5 Dark Riders - Repeating Crossbows, Musician (117)
5 Dark Riders (117)
5 Harpies (55)

Special
11 Cold One Knights - Full Command, Standard of Hag Graef, Warrior Bane, Potion of Foolhardiness (382)
5 Shades - Additional Hand Weapons (85)

Rare
Hydra (175)
Reaper BT (100)
Reaper BT (100)
Tot. 2399

EDIT: picture links
Last edited by Pahvivalmiste on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Nicely done. Some of those models are new to me...I only started playing in 4th ed.

It's amusing that some of the models seem to be almost goblin-esque (e.g. the Hydra beastmasters) in appearance. The 4th ed black guard would probably fit in very well with the overall theme (if you can even find them!).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Thanks for the comment, Rork!

There are no official hydra beastmasters from this era - the other beastmaster is a dog handler from the 1980's and the other (with the mace) is a model from the normal range (Hydra was available to all armies as a monster if I recall correctly).

I agree that the models look a bit weird... and especially the Citadel ones are not very nice sculpts. But it's vintage!

I'll use converted spearmen as Black Guard (the models are behind the link at the end of the post). 4th edition ones are too modern (and too expensive) :P
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Very nice work, Pahvivalmiste :D

The marauder Dark Elves were amongst the best miniatures of their day in my opinion - I started collecting at the end of 3rd and Ive got a lot of these guys in my collection.

The rest of the old skool miniatures, the paint job and the conversion work, has really added together to create a stylish and brooding army.

Kudos 8)
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Really nice :) My army is a mish-mash of old and new, so it's awesome to see a well painted entirely old army :) If you want to go truly old school, then you can find lots of the original Warhammer Fantasy Regiments dark elf plastic crossbowmen and the first Dark Elf warriors plastic models on ebay for really cheap (£2 for 10 is roughly the going rate for either, although it can vary up or down a bit - never pay more than £4 for 10).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Wow, you don't see many clasic minis around. Nice job, mate.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Awesome, simply awesome.

I have a lot of these guys thrown in my army, it's nice to add a bit of variation, but a whole army is just amazing.

Awesome!
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Hello,

and thanks for the com(pli)ments. I also like the Marauder range which some of you mentioned - sadly it is quite limited, as is the old Citadel range. The Dark Elves only got a proper kick-off during the 4th edition.

Still, I felt it was possible to make an army playable under current rules using old models.... but for some units (Black Guard, Executioners, Spearmen, maybe Witch Elves) there are only a couple of suitable models - so it is either monopose (good luck finding the models) or converting. Maybe HE/WE models from the same era would work, but I havent thought about it. Luckily I had about half of the models for this army (bought when I was a child/teen), which made collecting and completing the army relatively simple.

One thing I forgot to mention: the movement trays are build on thin steel sheet and the army is magnetized. So it's very heavy. I'm currently looking for a transporting case...

@Red....: thanks for the thought - but I do not like crossbowmen from the WH Regiments (When I was young, I bought two boxes but sold them away). Also, I'm not probably getting any more models for this army.

But what are the plastic warriors you mention? Do you mean the ones from 4th ed.?
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

The Marauder Witches were nice, but as you say there are only a few different casts:

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm73dewitches.htm

On the plus side, they are quite easy to pick up on ebay, if you should decide to add them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=marauder+witch+elves&_sacat=0&_odkw=dark+elf+battalion&_osacat=0&_from=R40
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yeah, 4th ed plastic warriors, like these fellas (I've previously found these models for much cheaper as mentioned, but thes are the figures anyway): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-Fan ... 565299f864

Again, I should emphasize that - no matter how many times a seller mentions the words 'rare' or 'classic' or other such textual dressings, you should be able to find these for around £1 to £4 for 10 if you're willing to keep checking ebay every now for when new batches get put up for auction. I'd never pay more than £4 for 10.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Neves
Black Guard

Post by Neves »

Very nicely done! Nice to see such old mini's in a crisp new paintjob, it really does them justice!
On my signal...unleash Hell.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Re: My speed-painted vintage (OOP) Dark elf army

Post by With hatred ... »

Absolutely gorgeous! This is what I'm aspiring to... a complete army and not just the 1 unit as it stands so far for me.

My favourites are many...but the cold ones - lovely shields and hydra banner, the shades and the master on pegasus.

I don't have any tips for you because you've done such a great job.

Any idea on when you can start painting the rest?

Cheers.
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Thanks for the comment/compliment (and special thanks for the model deal we made), With hatred... :)

I've been busy with life, but I'm working on Black Guard, Cauldron of Blood, Chariot, Manticore and Dragon at the moment. I try to finish at at least the first three next weekend.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Great stuff 'made of cardboard'!

Love all the classics. Looking forward to more. 8)
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Wonderful, just wonderful.

Good to see the vintage scene is growing. Where did you get the pegasus?! I am currently using a number of 4/5th edition models since I havent been able to retrograde further from that. Would love a earlier model for my own army.

A playable all-3rd edition army is definetley doable I´d say, though, as you say, lots of solid choises does not appear in number until 4th.

Looking forward to see more!
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Hello, Gastronauticon! I took a look at your army, very nice! Btw I have the same dragon model as you do. Oh well :P

Pegasus is a conversion - I attached eagle wings to one of the standard horses. I didn't immediately find the eagle from online Citadel catalogues but I should have a White Dwarf Mag where it is listed.
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Hello,

thanks for the comments, everyone. This was not supposed to be ”a plog”, but it seems supposing is bad for me :P Following this line of thinking: I didn’t live up to my expectations and managed to paint only the Black Guard last weekend. Chariot, Manticore and Cauldron of Blood are still on the front of the production line… and a Dragon, individuals and 5 Dark Riders are lurking behind them.

Anyways, here’s the Black Guard (and a “Blink Dog”, which I intend to use as backup unit filler).

I experienced a case of “cloudy” mat varnish with these – I blame the repairs took the time I intended for other stuff last weekend. Anyways, at least these are ready. And they’d better be, as I have a game I’m using these today.
There are some conversions (halberd heads are current Chaos Marauder Horsemen axes) and a lot of duplicates (six hair-dudes, five spear-dudes with padded armour and three halberd dudes with padded armour). The standard is a bit simplistic, but will do for now. Most of the models are originally meant to be used as spearmen, but I feel these work ok as Black Guard too. Some of them could be even used as Excecutioners… but here the limited number of different models in the 3rd edition Dark Elf range would mean a lot of duplication.

Thanks for looking :)
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Re: My speed-painted vintage (OOP) Dark elf army (18.03)

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

The project is almost complete, there are only six Dark Riders and a few odd infantry left to paint.

Lord on Black Dragon

Lord in a different angle & light:

Cauldron of Blood

Master on Manticore

Chariot conversion:

Sorceress + Assassins

Objective markers:

’till next time…
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Re: My speed-painted vintage (OOP) Dark elf army (25.03)

Beautiful 8)

Brings a tear to a "veteran" players' eye... :P
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Agree with Tyrannus, it's a stunning update! Everything looks so understated compared to the latest versions I love them especially the cauldron and dragon. Small & simple but deadly.

You must be really pleased to be nearing the finish line now. Well done.
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Thanks, Tyrannus & With hatred...!

I agree that the old models are much subtler than the current ones. Perhaps the sculptors put as much spirit to them as they could 'cause they worked with limited options (model size etc.). Also, I'll clarify that Cauldron of Blood is build from scratch (there are two elf heads and a figurine from old Wood Elf Chariot, rest is green stuff).

I hope I have enthusiasm and time to finish the last models from this project soon :)
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Very cool update. Some real gems you've got there. 8)
Pahvivalmiste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pahvivalmiste »

Oukie doukie… I have finished the last six Dark Riders (5 Riders and a Sorceress on horse), which means I’ll declare the project finished. I have a few infantry unpainted but I think this will do with the Dark Elves for now. I’d like to thank everyone for the comments to my previous post, too.

A picture of Dark Riders after dip & matt varnish & bases painted grey (to illustrate how much effort I put into models after dip):

Finished unit:

Different angle:

Finally I made a watchtower… ‘cause every army needs one. After all you never know when you feel like Folding Fortress. The Tower was constructed using a styrox cone, some real rocks and Milliput. It’s a method of construction I do not recommend – very time-consuming. Door is milliput & paper.

Tower:

The whole force:

I’ve also played four casual games of 8th edition and last Sunday I took the army to a my first-ever Warhammer tournament (three more games). Here a a few pictures from there (taken by someone else :P):

In Battle:

Dark Riders:

Finally I’d like to thank everyone for their interest towards this project!
Kurze
Black Guard

Re: My speed-painted vintage (OOP) Dark elf army (FINISHED 1

Post by Kurze »

You have inspired me to start painting again! :)
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Re: My speed-painted vintage (OOP) Dark elf army (FINISHED 1

That my friend is one great looking army.