PLOG! A first for me.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Re: PLOG! A first for me.

Post by Loran »

Loving Walter, the Bulldog! Very striking :D

And on to the Elves: Amazing! These are turning out really well. What model is that cloak from? That is the only part of the models that I can't figure out and it bugging the life out of me (instead of the uni lecture I probably should be concentrating on right now :P ). The combination of Dark Elves and Dark Eldar models is looking gooooooooood! Can't wait to see these painted up!

The Hero on a Dark Steed looks very good as well. I am also very pro-"looks good on the battlefield", so this appeals to me in that sense as well. While I understand efficient units and winning is part of the game, having models that you think look good is also important! :D

Keep up the good work!
- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Loran wrote:Loving Walter, the Bulldog! Very striking :D

And on to the Elves: Amazing! These are turning out really well. What model is that cloak from?
- Loran

Thanks!

I've been using that cloak bit for a long time. It's from the high elf archer kit. Hoard'o bits is my supplier of choice:

http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?c ... 252013-1-5
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Looks like a great start, Scott. I can't wait to watch the progression of this project.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Your heroine is looking really promising. Any thoughts of a colour scheme for your dark elves?

Love the putty work, very smooth. Do you use Vaseline, spit or just water to treat it?

Myles
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Cynath ch'ill wrote:Your heroine is looking really promising. Any thoughts of a colour scheme for your dark elves?

Love the putty work, very smooth. Do you use Vaseline, spit or just water to treat it?

Myles

Thanks! She'll join my existing Soulcrusher girls, so it'll be purple, black and white with some Soulcrusher skulls here and there, although she doesn't have much in the way of fabric to put color on. It'll be largely sea dragon cloak and metal...which is why I'm annoyed at not looking more closely at the COK legs and choosing the cool one that you used on your model as it has more fabric showing under the chainmail part.

As to putty, I used to use vaseline a fair bit...but I'm sticking more with water these days.

I should have the putty work done soon and then she's on to paint....further updates as events warrant.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
treeapple
Warrior

Post by treeapple »

Nice conversations!

I really like this witch elf-model. Nice sculpting work.

And... don't worry. I think with the new book this girl will do very well on the Battlefield. Getting a 1+ AS with the new Seadragoncloak and having the fast cav. special rule this mounted hero will do very well within a unit of the new Warlocks. ;)
Meraklis
Trainee Warrior

Post by Meraklis »

great conversions! I really really like how you have mixed the dark eldar models with green stuff and fantasy parts to make such cool shades!

I wish I could sculpt as well as you do...
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really cool Lion, Can´t wait for the next update, mate!
Death before dishonor
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Looks more like you're performing surgery on the poor maimed C.F. Model. He'd be delighted with what you've done. Can wait to see how she turns out.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Time for an update...

OK, it's been a while, but just about ready for paint (perhaps a little more fussing after I look at these photos)

First, a little dental work on the steed ( tuning up my Equine dentistry skills for the new Dark Steeds :D ):

Harika is ready to go. She has some lil' doodads on her shoulder armor that will hold her sea dragon cloak on (which will be painted separately, cuz it's easier that way :D :

Next...I made her a sea dragon cloak, as I wanted something that would work on a mounted character and be a bit different:
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

Lion, it's great to see your work once again gracing theses hallowed pages. Your conversion skills are really out of this world. Just like you I'm a big fan of the Chris Fitzpatrick witch elves and the dark steed rider conversion is really awesome. I'm not quite sure about the crossbow though, it looks a bit heavy to me. Maybe replacing it with a darkshard or corsair crossbow is a more elegant option.
stuaker
Warrior

Post by stuaker »

Great to see some female models wearing proper armour! Fantastic conversions too. What parts did you use for the shades? Dark Eldar Wyches and ?
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Vladdrak wrote:I'm not quite sure about the crossbow though, it looks a bit heavy to me. Maybe replacing it with a darkshard or corsair crossbow is a more elegant option.

I am going for what is a rather "old school" look with this girl, I.e. big weapons. The modern figures have much more subdued size of weaponry...a more "realistic" look if you will. I see the Xbow as Lifetaker even if it doesn't officially exist anymore, true?

She'll have a big ol' lance in her other hand as well :D Badasses carry big weapons that are far to heavy for the rest of us.

Stay tuned....you might like the look of it better once she's all put together.

@Stuaker: D Eldar Wytches, Corsair handbows and HE swordsman capes.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Re: Sea Dragon Cloak

Here she is with her sea dragon cloak:

Image Image Image
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

:burns: :burns: :burns: :burns: :burns:

I love that cloak!!! :D I see that and I get a feeling similar to what you probably have when you learn to walk as a toddler. Seriously mate, awesome work! :)

Did you use any sort of skeleton support inside the cloak, or did you sculpt it all with GS (or the brown version of it) onto the model?

- Loran

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

GW should hire you. Or you could go freelance and create your own minis (a bit cheaper please).
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Lion, top work. I'd love it if you find time to do a little sculpting guide, tools, tips, techniques that you use etc.

Would be a slice of fried gold!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Loran wrote::burns: :burns: :burns: :burns: :burns:

Did you use any sort of skeleton support inside the cloak, or did you sculpt it all with GS (or the brown version of it) onto the model?

- Loran

All: Thanks for the high praise!

I took a few WIP shots with the basic (soft) shape draped over the model and the horse, with some jury rigged supports to support the twisty curvy shapes that I wanted:

Image Image

The basic shape is made with greenstuff rolled out between sheets of baking paper (nonstick). After the step shown above cures, then I trim the shape down to what I want, and then add the scales and the end details.

The claws and tail were made separately, and then added to the cloak with superglue and then the transitions are finished with more putty

@Mr. Cain: I should do that. I thnk I have a few little tips that make a big difference in trying to make putty turn into miniature creatures of fantasy (and hopefully not look like putty anymore :D )
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Loran »

Thanks for the WIP pics! I've always (on the two or so times I tried it...) had a problem with modelling cloaks, which in the end usually turned out as flat sheets with bumps draped on the shoulders of the model in question :P I think the problem was in trying to do the whole thing at once, scales and all... I once tried to have a frame support onto which the cloak would have been made, but that didn't really turn out well at all. I'll have to give this jury rigging of supports a try :)

- Loran

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

amazing....love the finish..such detailed work
Death before dishonor
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Wet palette first impressions

OK, so I bought a wet palette years ago and never used it (I think I was always in too much of a rush to experiment with new things).

Anyway, I tried it out tonight for the first time and....in brief...I freakin love it. I didn't do anything complex color wise, i.e. straight tones, but I painted some pain in the rear teensy pattern on a decreasing diameter curved surface (like I am so fond of :D ) and the even consistency of my colors throughout the process to finish the entire section was really, really helpful.

Anyway...that's all for now...bedtime.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Even if I copied your methods step by step, my end result would look more like oatmeal than a model. :roll:

But I thank you for sharing your skills, I enjoy every moment of watching what you can do with your hands and the tools you use.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Wet palette day 2

OK, what the hell was I doing painting figures for the last 20 years without a wet palette? :shock:

Today I was doing some highlighting with a bunch of tones and holy crap it makes things a lot easier.

Old dogs can learn new stuff. :D

I'm not painting that much currently (mostly just slowly trying out the new GW paints and other new things like the wet palette) as I'm also working on a 40k Ork costume for my youngster. Photos when events warrant.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Non Dark Elf Alert

So I have been a bit distracted from the purer faith (Dark Elves) recently as Halloween is coming up and I'm making some costumes for my youngsters. First up, some 40k ork boots for my 8 year old:

Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

LOL this is awesome! Is the metal plastic or cardboard?