PLOG! A first for me.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

PLOG! A first for me.

Post by Lion of flanders »

Hey All:

I have always been the "finish then share" type and probably always will be for the most part, but old ones need to adapt with the times a bit. I'll update this PLOG with what I have been up to from time to time. Note that I'm not the most prolific fellow in the world, so don't expect massive volume to follow...

I'll start things off with one of my new shades that I been thinking about for years and finally got going on in the last several days:

That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Re: PLOG! A first for me.

This WIP photography thing is pretty handy! As we all have known for years, the camera doesn't lie and taking digital shots while working really helps identify things that need more work, and/or things that you messed up.

Here's another shade chick:

That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

T hey look superb. I wish I had the time and modelling skills to pull that off. :)
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Looks good. Do you use two different types of putty? I see both greenstuff and some redish?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

I also use "brown stuff" which cures a bit harder and than the green and lends itself well to things that have edges like armor.

I'll have some more girls posted shortly...
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Loving the dynamic poses on these.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

I'm slowly working my way through my lil' unit of shade conversions. They are all done as of tonite and next up is dusting off the paint brushes (I haven't painted anything in 2 years...and almost nothing in 4 years) and finding out if I still remember how to paint figures.

I'll shoot the rest of the girls at some point, but here's another:

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I like the one with the hood - nice pose!

Looking forward to see this progress :D
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

They look awesome and very dynamic, I can't wait to see them painted. Great job!
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really cool mate, looking forward more updates...
your work as usual..totally inspiring
Death before dishonor
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Here's the rest of the new girls...

Forgive my rather poor photography....

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Nice. I like the cloaks and the greenstuff especialy
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
leesmith
Trainee Warrior

Post by leesmith »

Some very good green stuff work here! what do you use to smooth it out clayshapers?

How expensive is brown stuff? I found that you can mix green stuff with other products like epoxy puttys and kind of get the benefits of both worlds but a bit cheaper.
Yamagogimon18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yamagogimon18 »

Those look great!

The Dark Eldar range is amazing, especially when it's de-Si-Fi-ed.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

All:

Thanks for the compliments!

@leesmith: the brown stuff (kneadatite brown/aluminium) is more expensive than green, but you generally use so little of it that it really isn't significant. It is "harder to find" which is odd in the Internet age, but thecombatcompany.com has it for $12.99 which I guess sounds like a lot but the last package I purchased was enough to do a 100% converted, I.e. no stock figures army and still have plenty left over. The brown that I used on these six shades probably (and I wasted a fair amount each day mixing more than I needed) amounted to no more than $1.00

Speaking of cost, I often read about people referring to the price of greenstuff. This stuff is really inexpensive...just don't buy those overpriced little "strips" where the middle is useless. The stuff that I have used for years comes in a tube with two separate 3.5" bars that will last forever. I just checked on Polymerics (the manufacturer) web site and you can get these sticks for $12.95 from Greg Dorrance Co online.

@Yamagogimon18: Amen. I was halfway finished with these girls, when I noticed that several had another pesky hose doodad (which looked amusingly phallic given its placement running from crotch to inner thigh) that had to be removed. Thanks to others on this site, I have recently discovered the DE hellions and am considering a new host of possibilities with those excellent bitz as well.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

I needed to set up my light box and camera to take some photos of my Raging Heroes contest entry, and I needed to paint a practice figure so I could see if I could still paint figures after all these years.

So....I killed two birds with one stone and painted Walter, the Bulldog:

Last edited by Lion of flanders on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

And here are two better photos of the last new shade girl:

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

After a brief sojourn to the light, we return to the beautiful malevolence that is the Dark Elves.....

Added the left arms to a few shade girls that had putty work that needed finishing before the arms went on:

Looks like that last one needs a bit of a fix to the back of her neck....
Yamagogimon18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yamagogimon18 »

You've inspired me to get some brown stuff for a Malekith conversion I'm working on.. Stuff looks awesome.

What're those white skull brooches made out of?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Some are Brown, and the others are Magic Sculpt, which is very similar to superfine miliput, which I've started using recently and I really like. It takes some getting used to as it is much softer and more malleable than the kneadatite putties and thus requires a much softer touch.

I was experimenting with different mediums and made the skulls with whatever I had mixed after doing some other bits on the girls.

I think the brown is the way to go for tiny little detail stuff.....but I might change my mind as I get more used to the new medium....
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Now back to another idea that's been brewing in my head for several years....a mounted hero(ine).

I realize that a hero on a dark steed is not the most efficacious thing there is on the battlefield, but this is more of a "I think it will look cool on the battlefield" sort of thing.

Here is what I have thus far...I'm thinking a sea dragon cloak will be added at some point...

I added some skulls (of course) with a chain connecting them. It's a bit hard to see as there are only a few links visible...

Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

Excellent work mate ! Considering how little you've painted in recent years, Walter the bulldog turned out pretty cool I reckon.
Love the female theme on the conversions...are these Shades an addition to your wonderful Dark Elf army featured in WD about one hundred years ago ? I remember getting really inspired by that army...particularly liked the all female spear unit made from from converted bolt thrower crew...outstanding !

Love to see that army again...is there any pics on this site ?

Look forward to seeing the final painted unit of Shades. Loving the Dark Eldar base to the conversions. Im currently looking at a Dark Eldar Archon to 'fantasise' into a Dreadlord on foot, and you've come along and inspired me to get stuck in AGAIN !

Love your work mate

Naggarothi unto death
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Victor: Thanks! It's cool to hear that I've inspired people.

Here's a link to my photobucket site for my Dark Elves:

http://s879.photobucket.com/user/Lion-o ... rk%20Elves
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK, so the first step before starting any conversion involving any figure sculpted by Chris Fitzpatrick...whisper a humble apology...and then proceed to hack away mercilessly:

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Here's an update on Harika, (whose foot incarnation is wrecking havoc on the tabletop battlefields of Flemish Belgium somewhere):

Her poor maimed right arm will get a lance before too long.