on request, pics of new release

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Clockwork
Highborn

Re: on request, pics of new release

Post by Clockwork »

Good point. For some reason, I was mixing up base sizes. You'd need 5 20mm bases to equal 100mm, but it looks like the Witch Elves are only in ranks of 4. So it could well indeed be 80mm.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

BOOM!

Post by T.D. »

Last edited by T.D. on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Pre-orders are up on the GW site for those that are interested... as if anyone here isn't :D

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... meStyle=wh

$80NZ for 10 Witch Elves... I don't think that's happening even if they do look that good. Almost a days work for 10 models is a bit of a joke.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

SO MUCH WIN!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Holy Moly!

Witches = Core
SoS = Rare

Karybdiss/Hydra = Rare/Special (one of)
RBT = Special
Harpies = Special

So, monster mash on, Khaine frenzy on, gunline enabled, mobility = nerf!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

The price difference between Corsairs and Witch Elves is just stupid ... $25 for 10 Corsairs and $60 for Witch Elves.
Truly These are the End Times ...
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

More recon news; Power of Darkness still signature spell and changed slightly!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Well now! Nothing like some good photos! Thanks for posting those!

Those WE are pretty cool (still no stilettos and the bodies could be a little less like young boys in jog bras) The best of the bunch is still Shadowblade for me...although his feet are about size 35
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I don't think it has been bought up here yet, how about checking out the background of the pic below for the new BG and Exes. How awesome do those Executioners look with their masks! (sorry that the pic is MASSIVE! but I feel like it may be needed as it is the background I want to draw attention to. I can make it smaller if requested though :) )

Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Yamagogimon18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yamagogimon18 »

360's of a lot of models improve them. I like the Hydra/Karibdyss a lot more. Shadowblade got 3x more amazing! (if that was possible...)

BG and Execs look awesome!

Only thing I don't like is that they seem mono-pose (all the Execs I see are holding their swords at pretty much the same angle- the old execs [while mono-pose] had several really cool poses.). A lot of those BG look like carbon copies too. This seems to be a trend with all the models, especially the torso/legs.

I'm not excited about this. I mean, I can't even have my warriors face another direction. WTF?

Converting is fun but it wears me out after 20+ of the same thing, especially when you have to carefully remove certain parts.

I wonder if this is GW's answer to the bits market, "Suck it guys! We just won't make any bits!"

Tis a shame
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Yamagogimon18 wrote:I'm not excited about this. I mean, I can't even have my warriors face another direction. WTF? [snip]I wonder if this is GW's answer to the bits market, "Suck it guys! We just won't make any bits!"

Tis a shame

You can realign them on the base. Also ;

Witch Elves 6.7 bits per model, Warriors 8.9 bits per model, where neither requires more than 5 per model to construct. GW still does bits. Also, what happened to female warrior torsos?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

*sigh* Now I'll have to convert all my spearmen into swordsmen.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jabroniville
Warrior

Post by Jabroniville »

The new Core re-do surprises me, given that GW rarely re-does the Core stuff. Not great enough that I'll dump all my old stuff, but I might throw out some Swordsmen if they're any good.

THANK THE HEAVENS for the new Witch Elf minis. While they're not mind-blowing, they are replacing what is possibly the most dated-looking models in all of Warhammer (seriously, does anything else come close?).

I agree that the Hydra looks kind of stupid. A lack of fangs makes it look like it has no teeth at all or something. I don't mind the Kharybdis, though.

LOVE the Throne/Medusa stuff. Very high-detailed stuff. I have no idea how it's supposed to move forwards, though :).
Yamagogimon18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yamagogimon18 »

@Layne:
If I want my xbowmen to be sighting down his crossbow i have to cut off a warrior head and re-align it. Same deal with the left (shield) arms or most of the witch elves. There are definitely tons of awesome bits. But as far as how customizable the minis are out of the box, apart from weapon swaps, the poses are pretty static. Most of the poses are really good, but compared to corsairs, you don't have as many options. The main difference I see is no leg/torso separation. Not an gamebreaker but it definitely cuts down on customizability.

I think this is a double edged sword though, I don't think modular witch elves would have looked nearly as good.

Don't get me wrong, the models looks great. I'm just wondering why they decided to make the warriors so static (if they made torsos separable, you could plop some WE torsos on your warriors to get your female warriors- this conversion would kinda suck using the new models).
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Ace find, Devil's! More than a few Eldar and D.Eldar will be wetting their pants at the sight of those. Hell, I am :P

Black Guard looked modelled on old armybook art, whereas the "Executioners Axe" looks to be in the hand of the champion of the unit :twisted:

I have to say that while I like the look of all these new infantry I am disappointed with the apparent monoposability. It was the awesomeness of the new dark eldar that got me back into Warhammer, and the reason that the new Dark Eldar sold like hot cakes is because they were so versatile and dynamic, as well as aesthetically pleasing.

NOTE TO GW: MORE BITS, MORE POSABILITY = MORE SALES!
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Agree on the monopose Warriors. Seems like a step backwards.

However, from what I can see the Blackguard look great. On this occasion, static monopose may actually work well and pay off. Its a shame that they are all holding their halberds one handed, though.

I can't quite decide on the Executioners. The helmets are a significant change in direction. Might be I end up getting some Cold One Knight heads in in bulk to replace them.

I dread to think how much these guys are going to be. With easily needing about 4 boxes (2 of each), plus 2-4 boxes of the Dark Riders (depending on what the Warlocks do), next month is going to be expensive! Fortunately, I've already converted up my Cold One Chariots, so unless the new Scourgerunner is amazeballs I should be ok on that front.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Do you have pictures from those new blackguard and executioners?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

@ Lord Drakon: See above for the BG and Exes.

Also found this on another forum, a very limited view of Dark Rider models:

Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

From what I can see of the Dark Riders, I quite like them.

Lord Drakon wrote:Do you have pictures from those new blackguard and executioners?

Scroll up about 4 posts.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Not too sure about the snarling looking horses but in time better photos will show up I'm sure for a better look. Looks as if they may have been given shields.
Last edited by Holt on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Yamagogimon18 wrote:@Layne:
If I want my xbowmen to be sighting down his crossbow i have to cut off a warrior head and re-align it. Same deal with the left (shield) arms or most of the witch elves. There are definitely tons of awesome bits. But as far as how customizable the minis are out of the box, apart from weapon swaps, the poses are pretty static. Most of the poses are really good, but compared to corsairs, you don't have as many options. The main difference I see is no leg/torso separation. Not an gamebreaker but it definitely cuts down on customizability.

I think this is a double edged sword though, I don't think modular witch elves would have looked nearly as good.

Don't get me wrong, the models looks great. I'm just wondering why they decided to make the warriors so static (if they made torsos separable, you could plop some WE torsos on your warriors to get your female warriors- this conversion would kinda suck using the new models).

You're probably right, except for about putting Witch torsos on warrior legs. It would look ridiculous. If the Witches were perhaps 30% less dynamic you could give them shields and say "Female Warriors biatch" but this does not appear to be an option.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Wow! Enough with the freakin masks already! I am detecting an extreme laziness/cheap vibe coming off of our friends at GE. Give 80% of your new figures covers over their faces and sculpting becomes a lot easier.

Super biatch elves: mask
Dark riders: completely covered face
Executioners: mask
COB attendants: mask
Shadowblade: covered face (reasonable :D )
Warriors: minimal face with big helmet
Black Guard: looks to be same as warriors

I'm looking forward to seeing the new horses. Those look promising. I'm assuming that what looks to be snarl on the face of the one in the photo is a trick of the picture. It simply cannot be otherwise.

I too was hoping to see a great warrior kit with lots of dynamic possibilities, like the current corsair kit. Lil' Loser's unit of warriors really inspired me to make a new unit or two of spears or xbows. Impossible with this stuff. I have a feeling that we will all be seeing a proliferation of Dark Eldar Fantasy armies in the future.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Lion of flanders wrote:Wow! Enough with the freakin masks already! I am detecting an extreme laziness/cheap vibe coming off of our friends at GE. Give 80% of your new figures covers over their faces and sculpting becomes a lot easier.

Surely they would have to sculpt the face before sculpting the cover/mask/helmet over it? Have you ever tried doing it the other way around? Also, recall that the current Execs have masks as and helmets. I for one wouldn't be surprised to discover two different head variants in that box.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Layne wrote:
Surely they would have to sculpt the face before sculpting the cover/mask/helmet over it? Have you ever tried doing it the other way around? Also, recall that the current Execs have masks as and helmets. I for one wouldn't be surprised to discover two different head variants in that box.

True, but with a minimum of face showing, you don't have to do too much if you are going to slap a big ol' helmet over everything, ie no ears, hair, etc.

I suppose you are correct...maybe I'm just overly fussy about those sisters models' heads...blech.

Meanwhile, I am with you that the Cauldron model is very nice. I like the fact that it has no visible means of propulsion...I finally have something for Thrud to do in my Soulcrusher Girls Army!