on request, pics of new release

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Re: on request, pics of new release

Post by Jarvax »

I like some of them, don't like some of them.

Shadowblade is awesome.
Cauldron is nicely done even though it defies physics on the movement part, invisible moving force ftw! I love the hags and Hellebron but not so much the medusa. I'd like to see the fluff for her.
Kharibdyss: (Χάρυβδις in Greek) I don't like much. At first time I saw her I was like: EWWWWW. Now I'm kinda used to her. Maybe one day I'll buy one. Hydra is awful. Too flat head and toothless mouth. Beastmasters are not so good.
Witch Elves: I like them. But I liked the braided hair more.
Sisters of Slaughter: At first I thought that they are ugly. The masks are ugly. And they have no hair. Then I thought that they must be some kind of ultra fanatics to Khaine and they wear masks depicting his aspects. If I ever make a unit of them I'll give them hair.
Warriors: I don't care to call them otherwise. And I like them. And their helms. And banners. I don't care much for the monopose. I like them.
Dark Riders are nice and the horses are improved but those teeth... As mentioned, they are plastic so are easy to convert.
Warlocks: Nicely done models but I don't like them. I may have to buy some though.
Chariots: Nice models but they miss wheels. I don't like the one-wheeled theme. Easy to convert I guess.
Blackguards are nice. So, the helmet mane is their own hair? Feels stupid...
Executioners: Nice models but I don't like the skull helmet. I guess it's easy to replace them with Kabalite helmets. A quick search to ebay showed that they are cheep right now.
Fleetmaster: Nice but if I ever take one I will replace that sword/peg leg. Doesn't work for me. Unless it gives him an extra attack.

Generally, I must say I liked the previous edition models. Witch elves, blackguards, chariots, even warriors and especially the executioners.
Lastly, I'll say that the prices are off limits for me. If they don't drop dramatically I won't buy not even one model from this version. Last edition models and ebay are my friends right now.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

hmmm. i hadnt looked at the minis for the second wave. the stuff on GWs website is mostly awesome (not a fan of the new hydra/thing though) but as you say, much of the stuff in the second wave looks much worse.

warlocks look pretty meh imo. i love the horses EXCEPT that chest plate. hopefully it is optional.

Black guard are really nice, and executioners are sweet too, though i would have preferred a more normal helmet. a hood made from GS would probably work wonders for them.

also: whats wrong with wheels? chariots seem much easier to pull if they have wheels...
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

In general I´m really disappinted with the new releases. I had a lot of expectations in the update of our beloved army... and they have been killed painfully

Warriors: 5th ed ones in plastic, same static poses, same lack of dynamism
Witch elves: They look nice, I want to see it in my hand, for the moment bllod vestals look better
Monsters: No comments... I cry for Khaine since I saw them
Sisters...: Dont undertand them, too slanneshi for my taste
Blood cauldron: Think looks nice, some minor conversions can improve it
DR: Best of the batch..but THESE HORSE TEETH!!! why?, and I dont understand the tank armour on their chest. As previously said..plastic will make easier any conversion
Warlocks: An ugly elric of melnibione riding a donkey?
chariots: If you add them 2 wheels, they´ll look awesome
BG: 6th ed in plastic, maybe even more static and monopose
Executioners: Monopose and an odd looking

Corsair character: a peg leg made of sharp steel?, yes the best choice for saling in wood boats...
Death before dishonor
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Just boats? Imagine beach landing ;)

*hops off the boat*
*peg sword slides knee deep into sand*
*curses!*
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

Any more info on the cauldron base? I think it's 60x80. The front dimension is 60 for sure and if you compare it to the side, 80 is the size that fits more to my eyes. We must create a base and cart for the old cauldron statue as it seems, for those that haven't done it yet.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Jarvax wrote:Any more info on the cauldron base? I think it's 60x80. The front dimension is 60 for sure and if you compare it to the side, 80 is the size that fits more to my eyes. We must create a base and cart for the old cauldron statue as it seems, for those that haven't done it yet.

dont kow but at least it will be like a chariot one, 10x5cm..but loks a bit larger
Death before dishonor
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Dalamar wrote:Just boats? Imagine beach landing ;)

*hops off the boat*
*peg sword slides knee deep into sand*
*curses!*

:twisted: :twisted:
Death before dishonor
Yamagogimon18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yamagogimon18 »

I gotta come to the defense of the Corsair lord: Yes in real life the sword leg would be worse than useless, but I think the mini looks really cool. If we want to talk about how minis would stack up in real life there's a slew of ridiculous minis out there. A Necrosphinx can fly? Upwards 10 tons of marble and gold with those puny (made of gold) wings? C'mon... A 15' long cannon (Ironblaster) can fire with only a couple of big horns to anchor it to a wheeled base? I mean, look at almost every weapon in the game, real weapons can't be that big.

I agree it's ridiculous, but it looks cool and it makes sense that a DE would try to get a bonus weapon anywhere he could. Plus it gives us a solid excuse when he flubs all his attacks.

I also think people are making too much of the Dark Steed teeth. They'll be really easy to cut down to believable size and other wise the horses look great.

@Lord tsunami: Hoods would make Executioners look amazing, especially with those skull masks! I'm gonna have to steal that idea. Still disappointed by the poses though...
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I don't understand people's concern over the models being monopose. To my mind while your units are marching forward they should all just look rather disciplined and neat for units like black guard and warriors. They wouldn't be waving their weapons around in silly ways. Not to mention this makes them much easier to rank. I think the problem is more with units like witches which have a number of very dramatic poses but not enough for all the models to be unique. In a unit of 30 when two or three are doing the same backwards leaping slice attack in the middle of the unit it just looks silly.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Yamagogimon18 wrote:I gotta come to the defense of the Corsair lord: Yes in real life the sword leg would be worse than useless, but I think the mini looks really cool. If we want to talk about how minis would stack up in real life there's a slew of ridiculous minis out there. A Necrosphinx can fly? Upwards 10 tons of marble and gold with those puny (made of gold) wings? C'mon... A 15' long cannon (Ironblaster) can fire with only a couple of big horns to anchor it to a wheeled base? I mean, look at almost every weapon in the game, real weapons can't be that big.

WHFB stands in a fantastic world, but IMHO even the fantasy should follow some basic rules, a sailor with a sword leg (even a common person) is ridiculous, fantasy or not. It´s not logic, useful, coherent.

In real world there is no dragons, ok...but if the DE dragon had pair of wings 1/8 of their current size it will look odd, fantasy or not. Because your mind would be unable to process such a big creature could fly with these tiny wings. It´s just my opinion of course. It could fit maybe orcs or skaven , 2 armies where reality, fantasy and ridicule mix perfectly
Death before dishonor
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Wait, what's wrong with a sword leg? imagine, triple-wielder!

try to beat that!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Walking on anything but rock hard surface. that's what's wrong with a sword leg.
7th edition army book:

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Dalamar wrote:Walking on anything but rock hard surface. that's what's wrong with a sword leg.

ok, i searched Google for one-legged and triple sword....

andd..... uhhh.....

Lets just assume they like to fight on rock, k? :P
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

7th edition army book:

Yamagogimon18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yamagogimon18 »

Ya'll don't have to like it but I still think it looks cool. You could easily replace the sword-thing with a leg too if you hate it that much. I think GW transposed the pirate-y theme to Corsairs pretty well without just adding peg-legs, eye patches and hook-hands (I know corsairs do have a eye patch head but it's definitely different from the norm)

@Dalamar: nice find, that dude is badass
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Just wanted to say that these miniatures are among the best sculpts GW has ever released.

As for the complaints about few poses in the Witch Elf pack, I disagree. No problems whatsoever to swap parts around, creating unique minis:

There has been another scale creep, as expected, and the new Witch Elves are quite large compared with other editions:
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Cheers Kendoka.
Could you post a photo that shows the same torsos models side-by-side: to help gauge posing options, and what is the mini on the bottom right of the shot? Me likey.
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

>Could you post a photo that shows the same torsos models side-by-side: to help gauge posing options,

No, but here is a bigger version of the image - in it you will probably find the info you´re looking for:
http://hem.spray.se/kendoka/druchii/new_we_poses_large.jpg

>and what is the mini on the bottom right of the shot?

Ice Witch of Hyperborea
https://www.crocodilegames.com/store/it ... 5&catID=34
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Kendoka: Thanks for the handy comparison. Judging from what you have put together, there are indeed plenty of options and it looks like a pretty cool kit. On the negative side....the size creep is really annoying. Again, judging from your excellent 30 year side by side....there hasn't actually been that much size creep in the WE at all....until recently with the most recent plastic releases. I find that a very lame way to create obsolescence in older models.

@ Darkmark: that ice witch is awesome because it is made by Crocodile games and sculpted by Chris Fitzpatrick, the very same fellow who created the most excellent previous edition metal witch elves. She's a bit like the "Ice Linebacker of Hyperborea", however, to be used with GW stuff. (Crocodile Games figures are more like 33mm)
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

@Kendoka: is the figure in your top row, second from the left a Raging Heroes Vestal conversion? If not, what figure is it?

The photo is a bit dark, but from what I can see....its really cool!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Lion of flanders wrote:@Kendoka: is the figure in your top row, second from the left a Raging Heroes Vestal conversion?

Yes, I converted all my Sci Fi Blood Vestals to Crossbow Elves:
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

A really cool (disturbing?) thing happened while I was taking photos of the new Witch Elves.
During the shoot a really small spider crept in and started to climb all over the WE I was taking photos of!

Guess Lolth favours the new miniatures ;)

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK these are really great!

I've been looking at the Vestals figures for a while because everyone is really high on them. They are really nicely made figures, of course, but my problem with them was that they just didn't look very dangerous..I mean they looked like beautiful naked chicks. A little too beautiful and a little too naked and not very scary.

I think you have succeeded in making yours just a bit scarier. Well done!
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Cheers Kendoka, you're a true gent. :D
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Thanks for the great comparison shot. I really don't understand why the scale differs so much, this way even models from the same company look silly next to each other. Oh well, I already have the lovely Blood Vestals and even though the new models are awesome, I think I'll stay with them.

By the way, I'm thinking of using the Sci-fi Vestals to make Sisters of Slaughter, to fit with the ones I already have. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.