Opinion on Cold One Chariots

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Datalink7
Noble

Opinion on Cold One Chariots

Post by Datalink7 »

Hi all,

I've been looking at trying to find a different CoC option because I don't like the "one wheel" thing GW put out. I've found this:

Gamerzone mini.

However, the Cold Ones look vastly different. Do you think they would look bad next to regular Cold One Knights that I already own? I could say that the "biggest baddest" Cold ones are needed to pull the chariot, but I'm still not sure.

GW one just for reference:

Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Opinion on Cold One Chariots

Post by Gidean »

I personally don't think they blend. GW's older ones blend better. Just get your hands on some old chariots.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I'd just try to get hold of a pair of wheels and convert the new kit into a 2-wheeled model :)
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Setomidor wrote:I'd just try to get hold of a pair of wheels and convert the new kit into a 2-wheeled model :)

This. From looking at the kit I think its possible to convert it into two wheeler fairly easily. IIRC someone here has done it.

If your not fond of the chassis though, White Lion Chariots make great conversions.
Artfactial
Warrior

Post by Artfactial »

I've got a unit of these and am absolutely in love with them.
They're brutish, big and look capable of that feral instinct and mindless rage. On top of that they are way more beefy than the raptor Co's.
I only have Battle cow Co's apart from these so I can make some comparison shots later on in the day if you like.
Might even win you over.:)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

The Game Zone models do not mix well with the current GW cold ones. They are a LOT bigger. I am simply not a fan of the Gamezone Cold Ones. The proportions are odd. In particular, the tail looks far too skinny and short for the rest of the model.

If you are not a fan of the 1-wheel look, it looks like it would be very easy to put on 2 wheels where the big outer blades are on the standard model. You will want to use small wheel than those that come with the standard model--the wheels from a High Elf Chariot look like they would work well.

Alternatively, just put some Dark Elf Cold Ones in the harness of a High Elf Chariot. That's what people did before the new model was released, and it looks really good.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Datalink7
Noble

Post by Datalink7 »

Sounds like majority opinion is they don't mix well. I think I'll just get the GW ones and either convert or just deal with the one wheel annoyance.
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Datalink7 wrote:Sounds like majority opinion is they don't mix well. I think I'll just get the GW ones and either convert or just deal with the one wheel annoyance.

I actually own a scourgerunner and the model is not as bad as I thought with the one wheel when you see it in person.
Skipjh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Skipjh »

Here are a couple of shots of the gamezone chariot mounted on a GW chariot base next to a converted GW high elf chariot for size comparison, using CoK cold ones and various 7th Ed DE kits for crew and spiky bits from the old 3rd edition Dark Ekdar warriors.

The gamezone chariot came with an ebay purchase. I actually quite like the bigger Cold Ones as I think they match the fluff better, and the chariot design in the GZ model is very cool, but the thing is a bit of a pain to put together. The GZ Cold Ones are very heavy and only stand up when secured by the quite flimsy chariot yoke. In hindsight I probably would have converted GW crew for it as well (it doesn't help that I glued them on the wrong way around!